Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Freedom Planet Discussion Thread
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Freedom Planet Discussion Thread [CLOSED]
ItalianGamer97 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1378
#1 Posted: 03:56:08 09/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Has anyone around here heard of a little indie game called Freedom Planet? It's essentially what Sonic 4 should've been, plus more. It draws inspiration from 1990's-era 16-bit platformers such as Sonic, Rocket Knight/Sparkster, Ristar, Mega Man X, and even bits of Gunstar Heroes. Right now it's only on PC, but it'll be getting a Wii U release by the end of this year.

Feel free to chat about practically anything from the game!
---
And to prevent confusion, I am in the U.S. and I am part Italian.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#2 Posted: 09:45:05 09/05/2015
I'm a big fan of this game, I'be played it quite a lot. It's honestly one of y favourite games, and I'm eagerly awaiting the Torque DLC.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#3 Posted: 19:10:11 09/05/2015
Oh yeah, I love FP! It was so fun and cute. I did some fanart, even.
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#4 Posted: 23:32:43 09/05/2015
I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE

...Ahem. I really really really like this game. I could ramble about it all day if I had the time.
#5 Posted: 23:36:16 09/05/2015
Quote: IsisStormDragon
I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE

...Ahem. I really really really like this game. I could ramble about it all day if I had the time.

Me too.

I think the game is pretty much perfect, WITH THE EXCEPTION of the story which does have quite a few problems. It's still entertaining though.
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#6 Posted: 02:21:41 10/05/2015
I'm waiting for the Wii U release to get it, since I don't have Steam. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#7 Posted: 02:47:02 10/05/2015
I personally really liked the story. It was great for what the game is and fit the tone of everything (although the torture scene was a bit rough; granted, it was foreshadowing later events, so it didn't feel as jarring to me as it seems to have for others).
#8 Posted: 03:03:11 10/05/2015
I like the story but I think certain things are just kinda done for no reason and certain characters are a bit flat (Lilac and Milla, though I like them well enough anyway, and I like PLAYING as Lilac the most too. Carol and Torque were my favourites though, and Brevon is a great villain).

For me, the torture scene was just pointless because it meant nothing in the end. It had no visible effect on Lilac afterwards. She doesn't show any fear or at least anger at Brevon when she later faces him, over that specific thing (I mean yeah she gets pissed after what he does to Milla, but not over what he did to herself). It's a bit too Mary Sue for my tastes, I think it should have had a more visible impact. Even something as simple as her fists trembling with a mix of fear and rage when she first lays eyes on him again, or even Torque trying to at least ask her if she's feeling OK as they were prepping for the invasion on Final Dreadnought, would have done the trick. Not even a big dramatic scene over it is necessary, just something to show it made a real impact on her. Without this, the scene was nothing more than mere shock value to me, especially when the character heals up in a really meta gag.

That was probably my biggest gripe with the story personally. I just feel like if you are gonna deal with a theme as serious and dark as torture, with cutting of body parts and electrocution being the method, there really needs to be more of an impact on the character being tortured, even if she otherwise is a real go-getter, or "Ms. Heropants".
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:04:06 10/05/2015 by sonicbrawler182
#9 Posted: 03:56:09 10/05/2015
I like the story and the characters well enough, but yeah, it's not perfect. But for what it is, it works.

I'm not mad that the torture scene is there, but I'm irked at how it was handled. I agree that Lilac should have had some sort of response to it afterwards, because as it is, you could remove it and it wouldn't change much, if anything at all. She just...shrugs it off? It's like it never happened?

The story aside, the soundtrack is god-tier and easily among my favorite video game soundtracks. Sometimes I felt like the music told the story better than the cutscenes themselves did, lol.

My favorite characters to play as are Lilac and Milla, currently. Carol's motorcycle is hilarious, though (especially in Thermal Base, with the wall of lava after the miniboss; that's action movie gold right there).

I really really really want to play as Torque.
#10 Posted: 04:35:23 10/05/2015
Ultimately, the only thing I disliked about the torture scene was that Lilac didn't really get to save herself. Actually, we never really see how she got out at all. XD But I just figured her redemption arc was done when she went to meet the dragon in the temple. After that she didn't need to be afraid of Brevon, or anyone else, from a narrative perspective.

Granted, I am very chill about story in a game like this. Expecting revolutionary writing from a Sonic homage is just expecting too much. The fact that it was leagues better than anything out of any Sonic story I've seen was good enough for me. The story felt consistent with the setting and cast which is where it matters most. Of course, I'm really old school and, like, at least ten years older than everyone here, so video game narratives don't really rank high on my concerns list. :D Most narrative issues can be solved with some good fanfic. :D

Lilac is my favorite to play as, too. I enjoy Carol (the bike is hysterical) and Milla is a fun challenge, but the whippy hair! I love the whippy hair. XD This is making me want to replay it for a third time. XD Must...disengage...from Smash Hit...!
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#11 Posted: 08:53:16 10/05/2015
is it this game you all is talking about?, since op only said the name, and put up no link to the game info at all. im just wondering.

---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#12 Posted: 17:53:01 10/05/2015
^Yep, that's the game.

It's not that I expect revolutionary writing, but since the game was originally going to have a much bigger story (though that's been cut up for sequel and DLC hooks), and since the developer kinda made it a focus point of the game, I was expecting more resolution on some things that were brought up as if they were a big deal, but were just...left untouched ultimately (which honestly puts it below a lot of Sonic narratives in my book, as I can think of a lot of comparable situations in Sonic that are handled and resolved much better). Like:

-The afforementioned torture scene

-Milla's missing parents being brought up, and nothing coming of it - we don't find out if they are even still alive, Milla's line of "I wanna see my mommy and daddy again" is really ambiguous - are they just genuinely missing? Did they abandon her? Or were they killed, but Milla doesn't realise it due to either someone hiding the fact from her, or even her own childlike naivety getting in the way? Granted, we may find out more when Milla is given her own story soon, but I'm not sure about that - there isn't much room to fit it in. Even Aqua Tunnel, her unique stage, seems like it would take place when she burrows underground from the jail cell in Shang Tu (Classic Mode likely only makes it her first stage as it's an effective way to learn her unorthodox playstyle, and the level is designed with it in mind).

-Milla's mutation and near death - I'm honestly in the "she should have died" side. I know why she didn't and I respect the decision, but it felt like, once again, shock bait and nothing more as it stands. I don't hate Milla by any means, the fact I don't hate her is why I say this, because I think it would have made for a compelling scene, and could have helped developed further Lilac and Carol as characters. Alternatively, it probably should have been Lilac or Carol who gets mutated (Carol if you play as Lilac and vice versa), since they are long time friends as opposed to Milla being around for a short while.

-Lilac at one point comments that Carol and Milla "BOTH like something??!!" when the girls and Torque are feasting on sushi in Shang Mu. This line felt really forced, even confusing, to me because honestly, we see next to no animosity between Milla and Carol, and they get along just fine (which makes sense since Milla saved Carol's life at the start of the game). Even on a casual level, they seem to get along just fine and don't really disagree with each other on anything. If anything, a line like this would have made the most sense coming from Milla in regards to Lilac and Carol, because despite being long time friends, they do disagree on things a lot more (even little things) than Milla does with anyone, because their personalities and even their ideals clash (Lilac being the Lawful Good archetype played completely straight, and Carol being more neutral and carefree). This got even more confusing as soon as Lilac and Carol had their big argument after Torque got captured, since Milla stayed with Carol too.

Those are just a few things, but yeah, my overall thing with the story is that I like it and it entertained me, but it could easily be so much more. Most of my problems with it are just small screw ups on Strife's part, and resolving or handling certain areas of the story better are a matter of adding a line or two, or adding an extra animation detail or two.

But yeah it's pretty much the only criticism I have against the game, and it's harder to ignore due to the long cutscene length.

Another small criticism I have though, is that I do wish the game had hub worlds like it was originally going to - specifically in Adventure Mode. Obviously Classic Mode is completely fine, but a pet peeve of mine in games is when you call your Story Mode "Adventure Mode"...when there really isn't that adventuring aspect. I also just think it would have been genuinely cool. It's also clear that the achievements for "collecting X amount of crystals in Adventure Mode with Y character" are leftovers from when the game did have hub worlds in Adventure Mode. These achievements are a little difficult and hard to keep track of as it is though, since there is no open hub areas to explore and to keep track of your total crystals, let alone to spend them on upgrades as was initially planned. If the game does get a sequel, I would love to see the hub worlds concept make the cut, but still keep Classic Mode as a more arcadey level-to-level mode.

But yeah pretty much everything else about the game is gold. I intend to pick up the Wii U version JUST to support the game.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:53:49 10/05/2015 by sonicbrawler182
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 9966
#13 Posted: 20:36:52 10/05/2015
Isis showed me this game on Steam and it's REALLY fun to play I love it
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#14 Posted: 07:07:41 11/05/2015
^Heeeey, glad to see you here! smilie

Also shortly after this game was released I ended up having a dream about Lilac hoarding a bunch of crystals (like a twu dragon) and since then I've accepted her being obsessed with crystals as a headcanon.

Which is why I'm trying to get the Gem Hoarder achievement with her.

...Ahem.

Having followed the game since its Kickstarter (which was when I first became aware of it; bless the random user on SEGA Forum who posted it), it's interesting/sometimes disappointing what changes were made and what got removed/added. Like, I was so looking forward to hub worlds man you have no idea how much I wanted that.

I still remember Spade's old species, and the fact that I could not take him seriously because of it... I feel horrible lol
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#15 Posted: 17:47:35 11/05/2015
When the Wii U version releases i will buy it
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#16 Posted: 23:39:33 11/05/2015
I think the weirdest change to me was changing Dragon Valley 1's track. I know why they did it, but pretty much everyone loves the old version more.

I first played a demo of Freedom Planet when it was still a Sonic fan game, and it had that track on Dragon Valley. Even when the game went off my radar for a long time, that was the one thing that stuck with me the most. So when I bought the game again I was DEVASTATED that it was different. I like the new one, but it doesn't have the same sense of wonder that the original has. Luckily, all of the Beta songs are on the OST, and I got that with the game on Steam.
---
#17 Posted: 00:50:12 12/05/2015
Do you happen to have a link to the old Dragon Valley track? I didn't know it had been changed.
#18 Posted: 01:42:01 12/05/2015
^This should be it! C:

or at least this is the one i remember

no idea if there was an even earlier version
#19 Posted: 02:24:18 12/05/2015
Yep, that's the one. I love it so much.

There are quite a few unused tracks/old versions of tracks on the OST. Including an older version of the title theme (it's much more energetic, I like it as much as the final version), and a "Speed Up!" theme, which was used in the old demos when they had a power-up that functioned exactly like the Power Sneakers from Sonic (made you accelerate much faster and to your highest speed without the aid of slopes and natural momentum).

There's also some bonus tracks made just for the OST, such as this Synthetic Orchestra rendition of the main theme. It's absolutely beautiful:

---
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#20 Posted: 04:24:06 12/05/2015
will play this game if it plays very similar to genesis sonic 2 + 3k.

although i don't want the story ****.
#21 Posted: 05:34:13 12/05/2015
Okay, the old version of Dragon Valley sounds really good. I can see why they changed it, though. It sounds a bit too technological, which is a sound theme that comes into the music increasingly as the game progresses. I can see how in the first stage they'd want things to sound more organic, if that makes sense.

Aww, the orchestral theme is so soothing. :)

Man, I want this OST so badly. This one and the one for Smash Hit are on my "to buy" list when I have spare income again. My favorite songs so far are still the Milla sewer levels and Dreadnaught 4 (the opening to it is just so creepy, it's perfect).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:38:01 12/05/2015 by Razz
#22 Posted: 15:35:55 12/05/2015
I don't think the original Dragon Valley sounds technological at all, more ethereal and wonderous.
They do have notes in the OST that explain why songs are the way they are or why beta songs were cut. In the case of Dragon Valley 1 Beta, it had something to do with the composition not lining up with certain music principles and being " too unprofessional".

Also seeing as you mentioned Aqua Tunnel, here's a fun tidbit - there is a certain part of the melody that sounds EXACTLY like the City Theme from the SNES Power Rangers game:

Quote: zer0dch
will play this game if it plays very similar to genesis sonic 2 + 3k.

although i don't want the story ****.

How the game plays depends on who you play as.

Lilac plays like a mix between Sonic Rush, Zero from Mega Man X4, and Rocket Knight Adventures' Sparkster. She has a lot of moves meant to build momentum quickly whether it be in the air or the ground, such as her downward aerial kick, her Cyclone, and her Dragon Boost, and her normal attacks are basically whips of her hair, that feel very similar to Zero's sword slashes. The Dragon Boost can also be aimed diagonally and can ricochet off walls, which is where the Rocket Knight similarity comes in. She's the most easy to pick up character in the group, you're best playing as her first. She's the best at getting through most levels and at combat, but is the worst for exploration.

Carol plays the most like Classic Sonic. She has no form of boost move, but she can roll into a ball, and can even do a pounce attack into a roll. She can also do a wall jump that works exactly like the one in Mega Man X games. Her combat moves are quick but are the weakest, though her special "Wild Kick" move is very strong if you connect all of the hits, and she is invincible during it. You can also find fuel tanks scattered throughout levels, and if you find one as Carol and touch it, she then rides her motorcycle. The motorcycle has a boost and a double jump and both also serve as attacks. It also has much better acceleration than Carol normally does. It can also take a few hits for her, and can be used to bypass pressure switch puzzles by just dismounting the bike and leaving it on a switch. By far the coolest thing about the bike though, is that you can straight up jump at a wall and ride up it with no hassle. Carol is pretty much the all rounder of the group who doesn't excel at anything until she gets her bike. The bike makes her about as easy to use as Lilac though, if not easier.

Milla actually has more Mario franchise influence than anything, I feel. Her ability to generate blocks and throw them reminds me of throwing turnips from Super Mario Bros. 2, and she has a flutter jump that works just like Yoshi's flutter jump in the Yoshi's Island games. She also has half the amount of health of the other two girls. She can also dig up items. She has the smallest move pool and her combat style is defense oriented since she has a shield move that can be used for powerful follow ups after blocking an attack. She's the slowest of the group so you probably won't speed run as her, but she is great for exploration and finding the 10 hidden cards in each stage. She's the least accessible character and takes some getting used to, though.

Torque is an upcoming DLC character, and he's basically Mega Man. He has a dash move like Mega Man X, and he has a buster for shooting different kinds of bullets. He also is going to have a pre-stage load out screen for organising what kind of weapons you use. He can also change the element of his ammunition using the elemental orbs that can be found throughout stages.

Spade is also an upcoming DLC character, though his playstyle seems like it's gonna be really unique. I'm not sure how he works exactly despite watching Beta footage of him.
---
#23 Posted: 16:04:18 15/06/2015
Bumping this because a public E3 preview demo of Freedom Planet Wii U just came out today, as part of Nintendo's "Nindies@Home" event. If you download the demo, you get 15% off the full game when it comes out on August 2nd (the promotion lasts until a month after the game releases).

I recorded gameplay of it. I played with the Wii U Pro Controller, it feels great, as does the GamePad.

---
#24 Posted: 17:31:30 15/06/2015
WHY DID I HAVE TO TAKE AN OUT OF STATE SUMMER JOB AND LEAVE MY WII U BEHIND?! *headdesk*
---
DS D Yellow Sparx Gems: 1565
#25 Posted: 02:45:34 15/07/2015
HIR, don't be mad. You can still get the game on Steam. I found it to be a blast.

I'd be damned if the sequel were 3D, though. What would it be called, Freedom Planet: Unite?
---
Yo, DEADASS?? BANANAS ARE DEAD???

(Former admin of TapL's Server.)
#26 Posted: 06:01:29 15/07/2015
I saw 'Freedom Planet' and '3D' and immediately went 'Oh god Freedom Planet Adventure 2 with a dark Lilac -oh wait we already have Spade oh wait does he even count'.

Spade the Panda. Rated E10+ for edginess.

...In all seriousness, a sequel would be great but I'd rather focus on waiting for Torque and Spade (and Milla's story, since I'm pretty sure that hasn't been added yet).

wake me up when it's all here *goes to sleep*
#27 Posted: 16:53:34 15/07/2015
Dark Lilac you say? :D I could kind of get behind that if it was more like Dark Link or something. That'd be cool.
We kind of got Dark Milla near the end, so why not Lilac too? Lord, can you imagine her horrifying mutant form? 8O
#28 Posted: 17:16:04 15/07/2015
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedg...016278719836160

[User Posted Image]
---
K-Tech Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#29 Posted: 21:41:15 27/07/2015
I'd do anything for a physical copy. If shovel knight can get one, this should too.
---
I'm k-tech... and I approve this message.
#30 Posted: 07:51:16 29/07/2015
Quote: Razz
Dark Lilac you say? smilie I could kind of get behind that if it was more like Dark Link or something. That'd be cool.
We kind of got Dark Milla near the end, so why not Lilac too? Lord, can you imagine her horrifying mutant form? 8O

Something like Dark Link would be great.

i tried to imagine a mutant lilac and my mind went to dark, scary places

Also one of my friends played this game and seems to have liked it. Score!
#31 Posted: 22:03:53 30/09/2015
I know this is a big bump but I thought I'd let people know, the Wii U version of Freedom Planet releases in less than 24 hours in the US:

[User Posted Image]
---
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#32 Posted: 22:19:23 30/09/2015
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I know this is a big bump but I thought I'd let people know, the Wii U version of Freedom Planet releases in less than 24 hours in the US:

[User Posted Image]

YAY!!!!!!!!
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#33 Posted: 23:59:01 30/09/2015
I am so ready for this.

...Once I actually have money to spare.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#34 Posted: 00:30:22 01/10/2015

What the Kingdoms is this?

Really, who is behind of the Sonic the Headgehog's Social Media?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:30:52 01/10/2015 by KeybasHedKey
#35 Posted: 00:35:02 01/10/2015
[User Posted Image]

This beautiful man is.
---
#36 Posted: 22:21:44 17/10/2015
So I'm obsessed with OC Remix and finally realized that this and this are things that I don't think I posted before!

Pretty sure 'A Mystic Lineage' is old(ish), but hey. I really love Intercept, too.

Also I've been browsing the new Freedom Planet forums as a guest (too lazy to make an account currently), and is it just me, or has the fanbase there gotten very... Hostile?
#37 Posted: 00:22:17 18/10/2015
^I visited the official Freedom Planet forums a while ago and the only section I saw that seemed remotely hostile was the Sonic topic in the off topic section.

In what way are they hostile? Impatience for the DLC or something?
---
#38 Posted: 04:46:13 21/10/2015
Could be that I was unlucky, but I kept clicking topics only to find someone mad at someone over something or another. I'm not sure why that is.

It could be impatience for the DLC, but I have no idea.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#39 Posted: 02:51:46 22/10/2015
Ahhh~ I need to finish this game, if my controller worked, I soooo would. ;A;

I can't tell if He is being salty or. .__.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:52:27 22/10/2015 by parisruelz12
#40 Posted: 07:03:29 22/10/2015
^He's being cool.
---
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#41 Posted: 17:04:44 22/10/2015
^He's being cool.

well, i'm embarrassed.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#42 Posted: 05:56:19 29/10/2015
oh hey

and here's a copy/paste of what strife said on the official forums:

Quote: Strife
Freedom Planet DLC is coming soon!

We will be releasing our DLC in two batches. The first DLC set includes Milla's Adventure mode and Torque as a playable character, and will be released on PC/Mac/Linux this December. Spade requires additional content and will be released sometime next year. We will try our hardest for a prompt Wii U release for both updates, but we can't be certain about it until it's submitted.

Stay classy, and thank you for your continued support and patience!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:59:28 29/10/2015 by IsisStormDragon
#43 Posted: 12:19:46 29/10/2015
finally i can play as my space cowboy

Also apparently the first update only makes Torque playable in Classic/Time Attack, while adding Milla's Adventure Mode. However, Torque and Spade are getting Adventure Mode later on.

EDIT:

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:19:46 29/10/2015 by sonicbrawler182
#44 Posted: 00:23:17 26/12/2015
AAAAAAAAAAAA

*screams internally*
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#45 Posted: 04:47:51 26/12/2015
This game is really cool. Just downloaded it on Wii U. It's crazy how much it feels like a platformer right out of the early 90's, save for all the spoken dialogue and the fact that it has female protagonists.
---
Boop me if you see this.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#46 Posted: 02:22:16 27/12/2015
Quote: IsisStormDragon
AAAAAAAAAAAA

*screams internally*

That Trailer looks awesome...
#47 Posted: 15:24:30 27/12/2015
So Mewtwo's the new villain? 'K... ^.^;
---
#48 Posted: 22:33:47 27/12/2015
Heeeeere's Freedom Planet 2's website!

And heeeeeeere's some artwork that GalaxyTrail posted on Twitter!

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

Aaaaaand a prototype screenshot!

[User Posted Image]

Also for those wondering, GalaxyTrail has already said that the planned updates for Freedom Planet 1 will still happen.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:10:28 27/12/2015 by IsisStormDragon
#49 Posted: 07:00:58 04/01/2016
I am SO excited for this! 8D
#50 Posted: 16:24:30 04/01/2016
I saw this fan's take on FP2 Lilac and I think it's perfect.

http://nauthleroy.tumblr.com/p...-trying-to-give
[User Posted Image]

It's probably not possible due to the nature of the sprite work but it would be amazing if the series ever goes either Skullgirls levels of animation or goes 3D, they make Lilac look like this.

Also yeah, it feels great to say that this is a series.

I expect we'll get at least up to a third game considering Strife's massive wealth of story ideas he scrapped for the first game.

I also hope they incorporate hub worlds this time as well as upgrades.

I'm sad that Torque is not returning but at least he's playable in the first game now, with his own unique stage and everything.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:27:30 04/01/2016 by sonicbrawler182
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me