Page 1 of 1
How good is Skylanders on 3DS?
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#1 Posted: 21:05:13 04/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Hello smilie ~ I would like to buy Skylanders on 3DS, but I don't know if it's good or not. Could you kindly tell me your opinion of the games? Thank you in advance! smilie
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 21:11:51 04/05/2015
Haven't played but seen gameplay and other users talk about it. SSA and SF seem to be good, Giants is a bit on the easy side, and apparently TT is really bad and slow-paced.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:12:02 04/05/2015 by Bifrost
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#3 Posted: 21:12:25 04/05/2015
Well, it is way different from the normal console/iPad game, just to warn you. In my opinion, it doesn't really have that skylanders feel to it. Although, you are able to go to a store I believe and just scan the portal with your ds under it and the skylander will be put in your game forever so you never have to buy another. There are also no traps, so honestly you could save so much money with this pack.
---
Spread those positive vibes
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#4 Posted: 21:55:39 04/05/2015
It doesn't really have tje collecting feeling. I mean if you buy a figure and scan it, it's useless and then you'll wonder why you even bought the figure in the first place. I'm not talking out of experience it just seems very frustrating to me.
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#5 Posted: 22:34:15 04/05/2015
It's what it's sposed to be , you scan skylanders in to play and raise them up in a pocket sized format. Then you rescan them out to the figure to play on console versions.

You cannot buy figures if you want but if you like skylanders I don't see why you wouldn't want figures.

SF and trap team are the games I'd recommend. You can scan in your whole collection, where as Giants and SA only allow you to have 2 skylanders scanned in at a time and it's too much effort to switch them constantly.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#6 Posted: 00:39:21 05/05/2015
I am waiting for it to drop even more until i get it.
I've played the other three though.

The game itself is nothing like the console,
*the levels are shorter
*Lots of levels
*minigames
*different story
*hub world changes as you progress

lots more, i prefer the 3ds one any day.
However, the story pack missions are exactly the same, it's only a different bad guy.

EDIT: You only need to scan skylanders once to use them all you'd like, however, if you wanna update them, you have to scan them again.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:40:15 05/05/2015 by goldenrushducks
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#7 Posted: 11:48:16 05/05/2015
Basically they are more like short spin off games than a real Skylanders game. They have very basic levels and very minimal enemies as the game cannot handle that much going on at once. The games ends up looking like a N64 era game and they suffer greatly when compared to their big brother versions.

They contain all new levels and baddies, but they also contain only around 20 to 25% of the content of a normal game. It quickly gets repetitive. You should be able to finish the game in about 2 to 3 hours, but they extend this by making you go though time challenges and special challenges. Sadly doing this gets really boring quickly and it becomes more of a chore than fun. I tend to loose interest and don't 100% the game, choosing only to beat it and forgetting the challenges as they don't really do much other than to give you a 100% save file.

Interestingly the characters all behave differently than what you are used to. Double jumping, some characters can float and a proper dash are the best parts, but then again their powers are also stripped down to a certain set (no path selection) and in many cases you are left with a lousy set to use.

Sometimes, like in Swap Force they actually put good use to their special powers. It actually does stuff and enhances game play, unlike the real games where you just unlock mini games and fart around with the power in there.

Also the portables used to be the fastest way to level up your Skylander before Trap Team made it so quick and easy to do this.

The best part of all for me is that you get to see new baddies and explore some more into Skylands myth. I always want to know more about Skylands and this offers a nice side story every year.

Overall, they are enjoyable if you are Skylanders crazy, but I wouldn't recommend it to an average game player as it's never remarkable. I'm always left wanting more and feeling a bit empty. It's worth a cheap buy but never full price. $10 or less a game is about right.

On a side note, I am thinking that they probably won't even bother making one for Sky 5 as I cannot see sales for the 3DS version being all that great compared to the expense they put into it. It seems like a big waste considering that they can just put these onto tablets now for a lot less and the kids seem to be more into that than a hand held system. We'll see though!

EDIT - Another thing, you don't need 4 different portals either. It's been my experience that Swap Force's portal works with Trap Team...that sucks as I wasted a bit of money buying a useless new portal. I bought Trap Team day one and I thought that I could enter the crystals into the game but that wasn't so. There is no way to put the crystals into the game. So just get either the Trap Team or Swap Force portal and then loose carts for the rest.
---
Stay Cool!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:06:37 05/05/2015 by fairyland
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#8 Posted: 12:50:34 05/05/2015
SSA 3DS is downright brutal. Loathed that game. Giants and Swap Force 3DS were acceptable. Trap Team 3DS is a snoozer.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#9 Posted: 15:37:21 05/05/2015
I am sure its not as great as the console but it offers you another chance to use your skylander toys in a different game and world. And you get to fight someone other than Kaos .

I always buy both at once .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#10 Posted: 16:21:33 05/05/2015
Quote: fairyland
On a side note, I am thinking that they probably won't even bother making one for Sky 5 as I cannot see sales for the 3DS version being all that great compared to the expense they put into it. It seems like a big waste considering that they can just put these onto tablets now for a lot less and the kids seem to be more into that than a hand held system. We'll see though!

I agree 100% here. Tablet version negates the requirement of developing a mobile 3DS version. I think the market for the tablet version exceeds that of 3DS. I'd love to know the sales number for tablet, vgchartz doesn't have that for some reason.
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#11 Posted: 01:04:39 07/05/2015
Wow, i feel so distant now...
#12 Posted: 09:38:31 07/05/2015
The SSA 3DS was as difficult as the the Console was easy . It was a nice change. If you want an SSA nightmare mode , look no further .

Quote:
Basically they are more like short spin off games than a real Skylanders game. They have very basic levels and very minimal enemies as the game cannot handle that much going on at once. The games ends up looking like a N64 era game and they suffer greatly when compared to their big brother versions.

I might agree with that regarding SSA and Giants but in my opinion SSF 3DS is as good as any console and i imagine thats true for TT .
---
#13 Posted: 12:13:21 07/05/2015
Dunno,heard the few people that went for TT3DS were just disappointed with the extremely pace-breaking puzzles and model reusal, but I only watched the LP and for me the game's just kinda empty compared to SF3DS to the point they didn't even bother with real cutscenes.

But here's another thing going for Giants and SF - if you didn't have your Hugo fix in the first console game there's plenty of him bickering with Flynn in those,(unless you find his voice impossible to handle) and I thought some of the dialogue kinda funny.
---
#14 Posted: 20:56:37 07/05/2015 | Topic Creator
I thank everyone for all the answers!

SSF is the best for 3ds, feels like a console version and is the best right? SSA and Giants are the only games that include real cutscenes with voice acting, the other have voice acting for every dialogue, is that right?

So the ranking from best to worst 3DSlanders would be: Swap Force > Giants > SSA > Trap Team.

Can someone please tell me the difference in gameplay and how would you score the games personally?

Thank you very much!
---
#15 Posted: 20:59:28 07/05/2015
SF3DS has 3 cutscenes(intro,Haunted Villa ending,ending) but everything else is voiced.

Judging the gameplay from LPs(since I was doing some researching last week and checked all of them), I'd rank them the same way, but it'd be much better getting it from someone with all four games to compare.
---
#16 Posted: 21:12:47 07/05/2015 | Topic Creator
What is the story like in these three games? Is it better as in SSA? I saw some LP's and it has no story .. besides the intro.
---
#17 Posted: 21:24:00 07/05/2015
Stories in a nutshell, no spoilers but none of them really have any twists, not even the small ones from the consoles.
SSA: Hektore shows up in a faraway archipelago, enslaves some mage mabus to keep the island invisible and the magic Radiance ore to himself, now you have to help the remaining one save the rest.
SG: Frightbeard, an evil giant pirate and Thumback's old boss, shows up with a ship that can plunder islands in seconds. Now you need to seal him again, but also find the place where he was first sealed. He's back for no good reason in the comics.
SF: Count Moneybone shows up,kidnaps Cali by turning her into a zombie,steals Flynn's gold statue, and invades his hometown with ghost robots(???). Now you need to find a way to stop him.
TT: Hugo unseals an unspoken evil(which for some reason needs a dog-minded dragon to even do unspeakable evil) by reading a book and is trapped in an eternal nightmare along with nearly all of Skylands. Now you need to stop the Nightmare Sheep by finding the bells that reverse the curse. Oh yeah the Warrior Librarians of the Eternal Archives are also involved but got a redesign because screw it I guess.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:25:11 07/05/2015 by Bifrost
Swap Force Fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 4095
#18 Posted: 21:24:09 07/05/2015
I honestly hated it when I got Giants for 3DS.
#19 Posted: 10:22:29 08/05/2015
Quote:
So the ranking from best to worst 3DSlanders would be: Swap Force > Giants > SSA > Trap Team.

I find it hard to believe that TT is worse than SSA .
---
#20 Posted: 11:07:05 08/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Dark fhoenix
Quote:

I find it hard to believe that TT is worse than SSA .

SSA is worse than TT?
---
#21 Posted: 12:22:35 08/05/2015
I dont know but logically speaking there is a 4 year technology difference between the two games. If TT is even the equal of SSA or giants then we have been cheated .
---
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#22 Posted: 12:24:32 08/05/2015
I think so, ya. SSA 3DS was HORRIBLE.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#23 Posted: 13:03:18 08/05/2015
Kay just watched ch1 of TT 3ds on you tube . That looks as good as SwopForce at least . Better then SSA or Giants. It looks like a console game and has lots of cute options .

They were very cheap on the intro animation but understandable . Cinematics take a huge chunk of space . I would rather play a great game with sucky cutscenes then the other way around . I guess they are reaching their limit with 200 toys .
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#24 Posted: 15:10:21 08/05/2015
I've had the previous three Skylanders 3DS games, and enjoyed them more and more each year. However, they really reached the limit of the engine with Swap Force (that wasn't really meant for something like this anyways). I didn't get the TT 3DS version because they flat out punted on the traps rather than update the engine to handle them. Activision isn't interested in investing in the 3DS game, so neither was I this year.

SSA is definitely the worst though, after you finish the levels you get forced into a time attack chase where the bad guy forces you through. You can't even play it the normal way anymore. Pass.

Giants was pretty fun. A big step up from SSA.

Swap Force is the best, although they kind of killed the whole toys to life thing by letting you load your whole roster into the game at once. This is the portable one to get if you only get one and can't do the tablet version of Trap Team.
#25 Posted: 21:28:49 08/05/2015 | Topic Creator
It's funny to read, some reviews say SSA was the best and the sequels are terrible in comparison to SSA, and the Users here say Giants and SF are better as SSA. I thought SSA was the best because of some reviews I read the last days!

Giants and SF are like the console versions right?

I have every Skylanders game for consoles, WII, WII U and PS3 but now I want to buy the 3DSlanders to a cheap price. smilie
---
#26 Posted: 21:55:55 08/05/2015
Nope,all four games are plataformers while console is beat-em-up. In fact, the gameplay for characters themselves doesn't change at all between games(jumping and dashing have always been around, characters who could levitate in SSA can to this day), what changes is the game's mechanics themselves.
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#27 Posted: 22:09:00 08/05/2015
SSA is the best reviewed because it was first and new. The later games are better, but it is always more difficult for a sequel to score better because it loses the innovation factor in the scoring. A sequel has to significantly add to the equation to be better - like going from Batman Arkham Asylum to Arkham City added a well done open world to the mix resulting in higher scores, had it simply evolved the combat, put in a new location (like from Arkham City to Arkham Origins) it would have suffered.

Had Swap Force and SSA been released the same day SF would have crushed it.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me