Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Site Help and Suggestions > Suggestion regarding rules in Stuff and Nonsense
Page 1 of 1
Suggestion regarding rules in Stuff and Nonsense [CLOSED]
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#1 Posted: 16:21:08 04/12/2008 | Topic Creator
I think the short-post and all-caps rules were a good idea, and I was somewhat disappointed to see them taken off. If a post is too short to get past that filter, it's probably not worth posting. And posting in all capitals is generally regarded as rude and annoying.

However, I also think that they would go over better if they were not applied to "Stuff and Nonsense". Since this forum is supposed to be basically a spam forum, it doesn't make much sense to me to have the usual anti-spam rules apply there.

I've also noticed that Stuff and Nonsense, a forum with not much worthwhile content, is the most active forum on this site. I think it might help encourage people to post elsewhere if gems were not earned for posting in Stuff and Nonsense. (I'm not sure if this is in place already, but I just thought I'd suggest it just in case it's not.)

Thoughts? Feedback? Questions?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:21:33 04/12/2008 by Stormy
matesds Emerald Sparx Gems: 3504
#2 Posted: 17:21:11 04/12/2008
NOT GOOD IDEA. My thought. Anyone who agree him? And who agree me?
---
Keep smile
katkerrykat Platinum Sparx Gems: 6033
#3 Posted: 18:08:53 04/12/2008
Quote: matesds

i agree with you!! smilie
---
Gotta deal with many farts and many burps. ~ Tenaman
Cynder_fan Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#4 Posted: 18:39:28 04/12/2008
Well, people were getting fustrated with them, including me
---
Local technician who comes up with rediculous ideas
#5 Posted: 21:21:49 04/12/2008 | Topic Creator
Quote: matesds

*her. =P

And can you explain why it's not a good idea? I could modify my suggestion a little if you have some good points.
#6 Posted: 22:50:55 04/12/2008
Well, i need all caps for my stories sometimes, having that rule back would cause me problems.

Then the post to short rule was also anoying for me, but it doesnt really bother me considering i dont do one word post's.
---
bmah Platinum Sparx Gems: 5561
#7 Posted: 23:16:23 04/12/2008
I have to disagree Stormy. There are many proper usages of phrases and words that would "violate" the caps and word-length rules. Although there's a lot of users who abuse caps and short posts, I don't think it's fair that proper usage of short-words and caps should get the brunt of the impact if these rules were to be imposed again. Particularly on the spam forum, sometimes I only want to make a short response, and nothing else. Also, I like to make use of onomaopoeia in my post on occasion, such as "POW", "BOOM", etc. You'd think these rules are not that restrictive, but I later found out that they certainly were. And I'm not a freak spammer by any stretch of the imagination.
---
I now have a deviantART account! Check me out at http://bmah.deviantart.com/
Post a comment if you can. Thanks everyone!
#8 Posted: 23:47:52 04/12/2008 | Topic Creator
Thank you, bmah, for actually giving reasons. smilie

Hm, well, I can't imagine a non-spam situation where you'd need to write in all capitals. (Maybe there are, but I can't think of any at the moment =P) That's why I suggested not having them apply to Stuff and Nonsense. I mean, just saying "BOOM" with nothing else is spam, isn't it?

I guess this site is a little more lenient when it comes to spam rules, but I find it a little annoying at times, to be honest.

Oh well, if it's not a good idea....

Edit: Also, I would like to see the "Error: You did not include a message" taken off in Stuff and Nonsense when an image or a quote is included. That's just me though.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:51:09 04/12/2008 by Stormy
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#9 Posted: 01:07:55 05/12/2008
It'd be too difficult and time consuming for coding that into just ONE AREA of the forum.
#10 Posted: 01:08:34 05/12/2008
Exactly.....
---
#11 Posted: 01:15:18 05/12/2008 | Topic Creator
Quote: Shrazer320
It'd be too difficult and time consuming for coding that into just ONE AREA of the forum.

Would it? I don't know much about forum coding, so I wouldn't know, but I know lots of other forums that have features like this.
Ghakimx Emerald Sparx Gems: 4064
#12 Posted: 20:07:42 05/12/2008
Now I wonder why the Spyroforum spam board isn't used alot......
#13 Posted: 22:51:02 05/12/2008
Because it takes gems away. Really stupid idea.
#14 Posted: 23:13:50 05/12/2008 | Topic Creator

No, not really. What do gems even do? They can buy you an avatar or a banner, which most people can get themselves. Not that important.

And it stops some people from just spending all their time on spam and encourages them to post things that are actually worth reading and discussing.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:14:11 05/12/2008 by Stormy
#15 Posted: 02:38:10 06/12/2008
Gems used on both ds and SF are almost useless IMO.
---
#16 Posted: 04:01:32 06/12/2008
Quote: Stormy

No, not really. What do gems even do? They can buy you an avatar or a banner, which most people can get themselves. Not that important.

And it stops some people from just spending all their time on spam and encourages them to post things that are actually worth reading and discussing.

Um... I just don't like SF in general. 8D
#17 Posted: 04:55:35 06/12/2008
Me too. Lol. Honestly.
Robo-Spyro Platinum Sparx Gems: 5869
#18 Posted: 07:00:28 06/12/2008
I think the short-post and all-caps rules were a good idea, and I was somewhat disappointed to see them taken off. If a post is too short to get past that filter, it's probably not worth posting. And posting in all capitals is generally regarded as rude and annoying.

However, I also think that they would go over better if they were not applied to "Stuff and Nonsense". Since this forum is supposed to be basically a spam forum, it doesn't make much sense to me to have the usual anti-spam rules apply there.

I've also noticed that Stuff and Nonsense, a forum with not much worthwhile content, is the most active forum on this site. I think it might help encourage people to post elsewhere if gems were not earned for posting in Stuff and Nonsense. (I'm not sure if this is in place already, but I just thought I'd suggest it just in case it's not.)

Thoughts? Feedback? Questions?

WTF? How can capitals be rude? I mean it can be annoying, but rude? Your opinions have gone crazy.
---
no i will not write a signature for you
#19 Posted: 07:39:57 06/12/2008
In the rude sense, caps can infer yelling. But you can usually tell when someone is directing something like that to you.
---
#20 Posted: 10:56:28 06/12/2008
And so, I think Stormy's opinion is COMPLETELY, UTTERLY, ATRIOCIOUSLY, one of the WORST IDEAS, i've ever heard of.

Just an example. D:
I'm taking a neutral side on this.
DDR_Maniac Blue Sparx Gems: 561
#21 Posted: 13:58:26 06/12/2008
I personally like the idea of not getting gems by posting in Stuff and Nonsense. Gems are just a status symbol anyway. "Oh look, I have more gems than you! I'm just so much better now." (Just an example, not saying anyone does that. XD) It also might encourage people to post in other places as well. Idle Chatter is basically the same thing without the Spam. I've seen a lot of decent discussion threads there that have just turned spammy because of the forum they're in.

And I don't see what the problem is about taking the all caps rule and short post rule off Stuff and Nonsense. Wasn't everyone already annoyed by that rule anyway?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:02:10 06/12/2008 by DDR_Maniac
#22 Posted: 14:54:35 06/12/2008 | Topic Creator

Um... I just don't like SF in general. 8D

Great. But what does that have to do with this suggestion? Just because you don't like the forum doesn't mean all ideas that have to do with it are stupid. -____-

Robo-Spyro: So you quote my whole suggestion and then only criticize the part where I say all caps is rude? There's more to it than that, you know. >___>

You guys are harsh. And not in a good way. I've barely seen any constructive criticism; it's all "YOU SUCK GO AWAY NOOB". For crying out loud, I don't mind if you don't like my idea, but don't be so darn rude about it, and actually say why, not "ITZ A STOOPID IDEA!!!!11" This forum in general has one of the worst attitudes I've ever seen.

Thanks DDR.

Now how do I close this topic?
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 15:02:28 06/12/2008 by Stormy
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me