Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Idle Chatter > Religious Freedom Restoration Act
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Religious Freedom Restoration Act [CLOSED]
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6606
#1 Posted: 02:31:34 01/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Thoughts?
It was a bill passed in Indiana and now a similar bill was passed in Arkansas. I obviously am against it because obvious.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us...ed-know-n332491
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:34:22 01/04/2015 by DragonCamo
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#2 Posted: 04:14:36 01/04/2015
As if I needed even more reason to leave Indiana as soon as possible.
OnionCakes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1810
#3 Posted: 15:13:01 01/04/2015
Aren't they the state that's also putting a fine on people wearing yoga pants in public because too sexy 4 u??

I hope this is repealed quickly ,_,
---
Check out my boyfriends Skylander ARTWORK
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=108425
http://jacob-a-sweet.tumblr.com/
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#4 Posted: 04:45:57 02/04/2015
Quote: IsisStormDragon
As if I needed even more reason to leave Indiana as soon as possible.

Lots of businesses are pulling out of the state as well.

Quote: OnionCakes
Aren't they the state that's also putting a fine on people wearing yoga pants in public because too sexy 4 u??

I hope this is repealed quickly ,_,

Yep.
#5 Posted: 22:28:33 02/04/2015
^spoiler'd just in case

[User Posted Image]

i will take any excuse i get to post this.
spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
#6 Posted: 20:11:27 03/04/2015
[User Posted Image]

What is the Samus part of this gif from? It looks vaguely familiar...

EDIT: Also apparently I get really easily distracted, but screw Indiana
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:13:23 03/04/2015 by spyrolvr96
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#7 Posted: 20:17:38 03/04/2015
I actually am oblivious as to why sexual orientation bugs people. If you aren't gay and you hates gays I don't get it, they aren't coming into your home and having sex on your couch. Like, who gives a **** who people love. I actually don't get it.

Honestly if you think that people with different sexual orientations is wrong or disgusting or bad, then you're legit an awful person, that is not an opinion it is a fact. You're an awful human being.

If god was real do you actually think he'd hate his own children? Lmao people are ****ing stupid.

Here's an idea. Look at people as people, not colors, genders, sexual orientations, races, professions, etc. Holy ****, can we just learn to get along please?
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
#8 Posted: 20:20:58 03/04/2015
Quote: Lunarz
I actually am oblivious as to why sexual orientation bugs people. If you aren't gay and you hates gays I don't get it, they aren't coming into your home and having sex on your couch. Like, who gives a **** who people love. I actually don't get it.

People just like any excuse to put other people down and make themselves feel better for being a sucky human being
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
#9 Posted: 20:39:05 03/04/2015
Quote: spyrolvr96
[User Posted Image]

What is the Samus part of this gif from? It looks vaguely familiar...

EDIT: Also apparently I get really easily distracted, but screw Indiana

It's from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. After one of the bosses, Samus throws up Phazon.

But on topic... The people who even wanted this to begin with just...confuse me. No matter how hard I try, I don't understand what the big deal is. :/
#10 Posted: 20:50:57 03/04/2015
It's from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. After one of the bosses, Samus throws up Phazon.

You know, I own that game, and even though it's been a while, I don't remember Samus puking up Phazon

Also, I just found this:
Quote: brietbart.com
On Thursday, Indiana Republicans in the state legislature caved to pressure... the state of Indiana actually enshrined more special rights for gays and lesbians than had existed before the RFRA was passed... now the RFRA itself will be used as a weapon against religious Americans in Indiana who believe that homosexuality is a sin, since the law affirmatively prohibits a religious freedom defense with regard to failure to serve gays and lesbians... Indiana legislators are so frightened that they plan to expand state anti-discrimination laws to include sexual orientation explicitly

So that's good
---
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#11 Posted: 03:35:26 05/04/2015
stop attacking my religion please. ths makes me uncomfortable. i know people in my religion have done horrible things but i just like to beliee in a god is that harmful?
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#12 Posted: 05:09:57 05/04/2015
Uhm.

A Church can turn you down if they don't want to marry a gay couple. It's their right if it goes against their religion.

I'm not against homosexuals, in no way am I saying that. I'm just saying what I feel.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#13 Posted: 12:54:25 05/04/2015
Quote: shroom boom
stop attacking my religion please. ths makes me uncomfortable. i know people in my religion have done horrible things but i just like to beliee in a god is that harmful?

No one is attacking your religion. I believe in God- I'm Christian. I'm also bi. We're attacking the people who are using religion as an excuse to hate on and oppress people that they don't like.

Quote: parisruelz12
A Church can turn you down if they don't want to marry a gay couple. It's their right if it goes against their religion.

Of course that's in a Church's right. Their entire point is religion. I don't like it, but I understand it. But you know what's entire point isn't religion? Literally every other business. But now, because of this law, if I were in Indiana I could be refused a burger, the use of a taxi, anything. At least, if it weren't for what I posted last about brietbart.com.

You know, America is supposed to have this thing called separation of church and state. Giving religions exceptions to any laws is not that.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:54:58 05/04/2015 by spyrolvr96
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#14 Posted: 07:48:33 07/04/2015

No one is attacking your religion. I believe in God- I'm Christian. I'm also bi. We're attacking the people who are using religion as an excuse to hate on and oppress people that they don't like.

Of course that's in a Church's right. Their entire point is religion. I don't like it, but I understand it. But you know what's entire point isn't religion? Literally every other business. But now, because of this law, if I were in Indiana I could be refused a burger, the use of a taxi, anything. At least, if it weren't for what I posted last about brietbart.com.

You know, America is supposed to have this thing called separation of church and state. Giving religions exceptions to any laws is not that.

but the bible says gay is a sin.
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
TTD Hunter Gems: 6213
#15 Posted: 07:57:31 07/04/2015
This guy has a good point, I'd recommend watching it:

But yeah, after decades of people fighting for equality this could destroy decades worth of work.
#16 Posted: 10:35:36 07/04/2015

Oh. You're one of those people.

In those same passages, the Bible condemns getting tattoos, eating pork, putting more than one type of grass in the same lawn, and freaking wearing different kinds of fabrics at the same time. Those passages also involve perfectly legal practices such as stoning a newlywed woman to death if her parents couldn't prove she was a virgin. So, what, you're just allowed to pick and choose passages to follow?

But that really doesn't matter, when you realize that saying the Bible condemns all homosexuality is taking it way out of context. What Paul was writing about was the Roman culture, which was full of essentially rape between men and their male slaves. There was literally no concept of consensual homosexuality at that time. How can something that doesn't exist be a sin?

The Bible is not a hard-and-fast rulebook for how to behave. Society changes, and so do the rules.
---
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#17 Posted: 10:56:37 07/04/2015

*facepalms*smilie
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#18 Posted: 12:15:51 07/04/2015
Forgetting the fact that this is morally wrong, let's look at it from a financial perspective:

If a business - especially a small business - denies service to a certain demographic, like the LGBT community, that's a good bit of potential money that they're losing. And this will no doubt turn off other non-LGBT potential customers, thereby perpetuating the problem. Assuming that most small businesses in the state will do this, members of the LGBT community will either leave the state or move to the metropolitan areas, where vendors will likely be more accepting. This is a serious loss of revenue for the aforementioned small businesses, and many of them may go under.

It's ridiculous, really. TBS, if they're dumb enough to give this a try, I say let them do it and dig their own graves.
#19 Posted: 16:53:15 07/04/2015 | Topic Creator
This one pizza place publicly announced they won't cater gay weddings, and i'm over here laughing my ass off because what ****ing gay couple is going to have pizza at a wedding. No, what straight couple would want pizza for a wedding? Like jesus christ.
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#20 Posted: 19:32:58 07/04/2015
People are making way too big a deal of this. It's not like every business is religious and is refusing to provide service to homosexuals. If one bakery refuses to make a cake for your wedding, go to another bakery, simple as that.

I'm not particularly fond of this law, but I really think people are overreacting.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:38:30 07/04/2015 by Mrmorrises
#21 Posted: 19:40:08 07/04/2015
Quote: Mrmorrises
I'm not particularly fond of this law, but I really think people are overreacting.

Would you call it overreacting if this law made it so that businesses could refuse service to people just because of their race?
---
#22 Posted: 19:46:38 07/04/2015

Would you call it overreacting if this law made it so that businesses could refuse service to people just because of their race?

No, because race is a much different component of a person's identity. If you were gay and you walked into a pizza place and ordered a pizza, they wouldn't know right off the bat that you were gay. If you were black and walked into a pizza place and ordered a pizza they would know that you were black the second you walked in.
#23 Posted: 21:05:38 07/04/2015
If you were gay and you walked into a pizza place and ordered a pizza, they wouldn't know right off the bat that you were gay. If you were black and walked into a pizza place and ordered a pizza they would know that you were black the second you walked in.

And that makes this different? Why can't they just "go to another bakery, simple as that"?

What makes racism and heterosexism so different in this situation? Just the outside appearances? Is that the only thing that means anything?
---
#24 Posted: 21:15:42 07/04/2015
If you were gay and you walked into a pizza place and ordered a pizza, they wouldn't know right off the bat that you were gay. If you were black and walked into a pizza place and ordered a pizza they would know that you were black the second you walked in.

And that makes this different? Why can't they just "go to another bakery, simple as that"?

What makes racism and heterosexism so different in this situation? Just the outside appearances? Is that the only thing that means anything?

Anyone can go to a different bakery, but I don't think people go to a pizza place or something and say "I'd like a medium pepperoni pizza. Oh, and by the way, I'm gay." You don't deserve to be discriminated against for being homosexual, but to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay wedding? Calling that discrimination is like ordering hamburgers at a pizza place and then calling it discrimination because they don't serve hamburgers there.
#25 Posted: 21:29:37 07/04/2015
Anyone can go to a different bakery, but I don't think people go to a pizza place or something and say "I'd like a medium pepperoni pizza. Oh, and by the way, I'm gay." You don't deserve to be discriminated against for being homosexual, but to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay wedding? Calling that discrimination is like ordering hamburgers at a pizza place and then calling it discrimination because they don't serve hamburgers there.

I, uh, really don't know where you got the whole 'wedding cake from a pizza place' from, but discrimination is discrimination, no matter where it comes from or what it's about.
---
#26 Posted: 21:39:44 07/04/2015

I, uh, really don't know where you got the whole 'wedding cake from a pizza place' from, but discrimination is discrimination, no matter where it comes from or what it's about.

So it's discrimination for a pizza place not to serve you hamburgers when you ordered hamburgers?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:51:32 07/04/2015 by Mrmorrises
#27 Posted: 21:48:18 07/04/2015
So it's discrimination for a pizza place not to serve you hamburgers when you ordered hamburgers?

If they have the capacity to do it, and they refuse to serve you based on some aspect of yourself, then yes.
---
#28 Posted: 21:51:47 07/04/2015

If they have the capacity to do it, and they refuse to serve you based on some aspect of yourself, then yes.

Don't get me wrong, I respect you regardless of your sexuality and I find bigotry just as abhorrent as the next guy, but I think too many people are refusing to see deep enough into this law; Governor Mike Pence and the Indiana Republicans are not motivated by animosity or bigotry against homosexuals, rather a controversial desire to protect religious freedom.
#29 Posted: 21:57:33 07/04/2015
Governor Mike Pence and the Indiana Republicans are not motivated by animosity or bigotry against homosexuals, rather a controversial desire to protect religious freedom.

The problem is when protecting one freedom comes at the expense of another.
---
#30 Posted: 22:05:44 07/04/2015
Governor Mike Pence and the Indiana Republicans are not motivated by animosity or bigotry against homosexuals, rather a controversial desire to protect religious freedom.

The problem is when protecting one freedom comes at the expense of another.

Again, there are plenty of bakeries that are willing to provide service to homosexuals. If the law said "Businesses in Indiana are prohibited by law to do any service to homosexuals," then at that point we truly would be plaguing their freedom.
#31 Posted: 22:10:27 07/04/2015
Again, there are plenty of bakeries that are willing to provide service to homosexuals. If the law said "Businesses in Indiana are prohibited by law to do any service to homosexuals," then at that point we truly would be plaguing their freedom.

That's not the point though. Just because there are others that will provide service doesn't make this any less terrible.

You know what, let's take this to the logical extreme. An emergency care hospital is still a business. Need I say more?
---
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#32 Posted: 00:33:24 11/04/2015
Just respect others religions. I'm christian, and i can give you proof why a God can exist. If you dont have a religion, than you can give me proof why God doesn't exist. It's just an all out war that is dull and has no end. Indiana needs this law, anyway our country promises us freedom, this includes religion. This is a very smart idea and i hope this goes through full effect. If you can't accept anyone's religion or ethnicity, than all i can say is; sorry, but you will have to deal with it. Religion and no religion keeps our society sane, for if we were to lose a side it could result in chaos. Again, the only thing to do is to go with it, you can't stop it, if you feel good about your religion, than keep it. This is not very fair, everyone should be treated equally, and it have a higher rank than others. This is my opinion, you can have a different opinion and i can respect you towards it. I'm sorry for bringing too much religion in this, but i felt like hake d to answer this.

this is a joke, i found this on a forum, so i saved it.
[User Posted Image]
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:35:38 11/04/2015 by goldenrushducks
#33 Posted: 00:49:06 11/04/2015
Quote: goldenrushducks
-a lot of words-

Hoo boy. Man, I'm tired, and you seem to be bringing up a lot of conflicting points that you don't really elaborate on, so I'm just gonna ask you one thing.

When is the point where there is too much religious freedom, in that it removes freedoms from everything else?
---
#34 Posted: 17:32:25 11/04/2015
-a lot of words-

Hoo boy. Man, I'm tired, and you seem to be bringing up a lot of conflicting points that you don't really elaborate on, so I'm just gonna ask you one thing.

When is the point where there is too much religious freedom, in that it removes freedoms from everything else?

There is no point.

EDIT: my point is that people deserve to be treated equally, no matter their religion or ethnicity. I'm not going against anyone, you can be whatever religion you want.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 17:40:45 11/04/2015 by goldenrushducks
#35 Posted: 18:18:25 11/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Yay, the op actually posted!

See, I don't have anything HUGE against religion. Of course, i'm not happy how many religious people hate me simply because i like doodz, but i digress. I don't hate people who hate homosexuals. I don't, i could give 2 ****s what they have to say. You don't want gay marriage? Cool, then don't have one. I only get upset when they take this belief and begin to "ruin" parts of my life with their hateful nature and stuffs. This law, which i am for in terms of the freedom of religion, is all bout discrimination. I find it sick how Indiana feels the need to pass a law where stores can refuse service to homosexuals IN 2015 (read this as me extremely emphasizing "in 2015"). Now, i kinda agree with Morris. If a bakery declines to make a cake for your wedding, big deal, move on. However, that is still not a just thing. I would feel like **** if i was declined a simple cake cuz of my sexuality. Now, like Morris said, if you walked into a restaurant, usually people won't know you're gay unless you're like a stereotypical flamboyant gay. But I find it funny. Businesses and stores shouldn't give a **** if you're gay or lesbian or black or Muslim. Their personal lives aren't important to a store, what's important is their business and the money they'll pay you for your service. Refusing a certain minority is a very stupid thing, both morally and financially. Think about it, if a pizza joint refuses to serve a gay person, you know that ****'s gonna blow up on the internet. Most people will probably stop going their if they are allied with the LGBT. Now, there will be those, how do you say...stuck up religious people who will start or still go their saying "I like this place now because no of those sinners can come here. Serves them right." But also some people would probably still go if their food is good but *shrug*. Anyway, the business would get a bad rep and probably close down eventually or get close to having no business.
I also agree with Paris, if a church doesn't want to marry you, that's their right. When it comes to church matters, it's 100% their decision. Some churches are more open-minded or accepting and will marry same sex couples or welcome homosexuals. It just depends on the church.

k that's as much as i'll post for one day
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#36 Posted: 18:43:44 11/04/2015
If something like a bakery refuses to make a cake or a church not marrying a gay or lesbian couple, I get that, but any other businesses refusing to serve gay people is pretty stupid.
#37 Posted: 22:33:22 11/04/2015
There is no point [where religious freedom takes away freedoms from other people]

people deserve to be treated equally

You are literally saying two opposite-meaning things.

Quote: DragonCamo
Of course, i'm not happy how many religious people hate me simply because i like doodz, but i digress. I don't hate people who hate homosexuals. I don't, i could give 2 ****s what they have to say.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't care what you think, I just get mad when you try to shove your beliefs on others as if your opinions are fact and everyone needs to agree with you.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:36:42 11/04/2015 by spyrolvr96
#38 Posted: 23:28:39 23/04/2015
And, of course. Religion fights.
Just stop, before it becomes a forum war.

*snickers*
forum war III

EDIT: You are reading my post wrong...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:29:51 23/04/2015 by goldenrushducks
#39 Posted: 01:46:21 24/06/2015
Well, I'd hate replying to this thread, but i just realized this is unconstitutional.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#40 Posted: 04:38:53 24/06/2015
Well, I'd hate replying to this thread, but i just realized this is unconstitutional.

r u drunk
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#41 Posted: 05:24:27 24/06/2015
I just want to say this, where exactly does the bible say being gay is a sin?The bible says a lot of ****.I mean it says eating shellfish is a sin.****ing shellfish!!!!
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
huge dotd freak Emerald Sparx Gems: 3354
#42 Posted: 15:13:21 24/06/2015
Put sexuality and religion aside, I like it if I feel threatened or uncomfortable by a customer.
---
Do you not like my mouth words?
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#43 Posted: 15:36:09 26/06/2015
The Bible doesn't actually say anything about homosexuality when you take into account the culture, time, and people it was written for. The verses people claim are about gayness are basically translation errors. God doesn't make mistakes and He doesn't make people to be hated or to suffer. God Believes in Love is a beautiful resource.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#44 Posted: 18:50:45 26/06/2015
Quote: Razz
The Bible doesn't actually say anything about homosexuality when you take into account the culture, time, and people it was written for. The verses people claim are about gayness are basically translation errors. God doesn't make mistakes and He doesn't make people to be hated or to suffer. God Believes in Love is a beautiful resource.

Ladies and gentlemen, how religion is SUPPOSED to be.
I'm dead serious Razz, this is a good post. I'm glad there's people out there who're religious and think this.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#45 Posted: 21:56:01 26/06/2015
Thanks, StriderSwag. :) Alas, I'm not actually very religious anymore. I couldn't reconcile the preaching and teaching of love with the reality of a group that hated me for things I was born with, things I can't help at all, and which let me down when I needed them the most. I like to hope still that the universe is not a cold place, but I don't believe I'm big enough to say with certainty what, if anything, is behind it all. I still have compassion for those with faith and I'm not going to judge anyone for their beliefs; that's always a very personal choice that's between you and God (or nothing or what/whoever else you believe in). But if there really is a God, and I kind of hope there is, He wouldn't have died just so we can look down our noses at one another for being the wonderful beings He made us to be.

Whoops, let me just...get off my soapbox here... XD Jesus preached love above all else. It does us all good to keep that in mind.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me