Page 1 of 1
Eruptor and the Water
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#1 Posted: 17:06:36 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Just a little curiosity I've just found out, and wanted to share. smilie

All Eruptor's attacks release steam, if they come in contact with water (tried with the river in the Academy, but should work with any body of water inside the game).

They also fade out much more quickly, especially his magma balls.

I would really love if they could create more of these interactions (how about Chill and Freeze Blade instantly freezing the water, when inside it?), maybe also with a gameplay purpose; for example, any Fire character's attack could be weaker, if he/she's inside some water.

Sorry of this is old news, and if it it happened in older games too, but it's the first time I've ever noticed it.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 17:45:05 18/03/2015 by Drek95
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#2 Posted: 17:35:59 18/03/2015
Now this is why I love Toys for Bob. So much detail. smilie
---
Spread those positive vibes
#3 Posted: 17:44:07 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: WilltheWizard

Exactly. smilie

But to be honest, I don't know if this happened in older games too.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:44:33 18/03/2015 by Drek95
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#4 Posted: 17:46:53 18/03/2015
This is along the lines of "elemental consequences" on the environment in the Sky 5 want/dont want thread I was bringing up. First couple of games had this in spades and this type of stuff was all missing in Swap Force...I definitely consider this part of the "Skylander experience" so I hope they continue to deliver on these fine details...not only on visuals but places where it can actually impact the game. Imagine a flying skylander emitting fireballs into water and causing a tidal wave destroying enemies on the shore. That kind of stuff.

Drek, the steam from Eruptor stuff did happen in SSA. I know Giants b/c I remember playing with that for about 20 min with my son. It was a hoot. smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:50:43 18/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#5 Posted: 17:50:59 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: GhostRoaster
This is along the lines of "elemental consequences" on the environment in the Sky 5 want/dont want thread I was bringing up. First couple of games had this in spades and this type of stuff was all missing in Swap Force...I definitely consider this part of the "Skylander experience" so I hope they continue to deliver on these fine details...not only on visuals but places where it can actually impact the game.

Absolutely, they need to put more efforts into this kind of interactions (after the main experience is complete and solid, of course).
Skylanders could really become the definitive "elemental GDResque" experience, if done right!

I wouldn't mind if this was the "only" gimmick in the fifth game, maybe with a more open world. smilie

Really, GhostRoaster?
It happened in SA and Giants too...?

Wow... There could be sooo much more we could be missing, then... Maybe it's time for some deep "retro-gaming" analysis. smilie
I think there was a small island, in one of the first SA's levels, where only Stump Smash could go, by going near a big flower, or something like that... I was really impressed when I found it out.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:56:42 18/03/2015 by Drek95
#6 Posted: 17:52:35 18/03/2015
Quote: Drek95
I wouldn't mind of this was the "only" gimmick in the fifth game, maybe with a more open world. smilie

The game needs to be the gimmick. 100% aligned on that.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#7 Posted: 17:58:36 18/03/2015
But then the Undead and Dark would have a disavantage,since both teams seem to be afraid of having undead areas outside of Gates and nighttime stages(Midnight Museum is nearly the only one,Cutthroat Carnival and Willikin Workshop happen in dusk and Mystic Mill is hard to tell because of the downpour). Not that I wouldn't be all for it - they already had things like the Kaos Doom Challenges suddenly being enveloped by Undead energy and going almost pitch-black as the mummies from Golden Desert attack.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#8 Posted: 18:27:36 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
But then the Undead and Dark would have a disavantage,since both teams seem to be afraid of having undead areas outside of Gates and nighttime stages(Midnight Museum is nearly the only one,Cutthroat Carnival and Willikin Workshop happen in dusk and Mystic Mill is hard to tell because of the downpour). Not that I wouldn't be all for it - they already had things like the Kaos Doom Challenges suddenly being enveloped by Undead energy and going almost pitch-black as the mummies from Golden Desert attack.

Well, Monster Marsh is pretty "undead" and just think of all the Undead related areas in SA.

They need to step out of their comfort zone, they need to show both the happy and cheerful side of the Skylands, as well as the darker and "creepy" ones.
There is nothing truly scary with the undeads, they are just grim or eerie, and most of the times really cool.

I think that now that we have a full fledged Dark Element (and the Darkness is the Skylands biggest enemy), we will start seeing more of those features. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#9 Posted: 18:40:07 18/03/2015
Well,there are fully undead areas,but I mean levels that have many elements combined that don't have Undead features along. You have Battlefield with whirlwinds for the Air area and lava pools where the ground is unsafe, or Mystic Mill with the factory-styled houses, water streams and rocky archipelagos,but when it comes to Undead they only combine it inside its own isolated areas (spider pit in The Oracle,Undead areas in general,the levels mentioned). You never,say, go across the mines in Molekin Mountain and run into any wandering ghosts or fossils despite the place being pretty ancient,or find an abandoned house full of assorted spooks even if it's not the theme of the level(Wilikin Village had that as one of the many weird stuff and I give it credit for that). Just because they like to lurk in the shadows,doesn't mean we need to go to said shadows first to find them. Even Golden Desert,which was full of undead folk, had them come out of convenient tombs instead of running into those tombs by chance.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:41:18 18/03/2015 by Bifrost
#10 Posted: 19:55:39 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Well,there are fully undead areas,but I mean levels that have many elements combined that don't have Undead features along. You have Battlefield with whirlwinds for the Air area and lava pools where the ground is unsafe, or Mystic Mill with the factory-styled houses, water streams and rocky archipelagos,but when it comes to Undead they only combine it inside its own isolated areas (spider pit in The Oracle,Undead areas in general,the levels mentioned). You never,say, go across the mines in Molekin Mountain and run into any wandering ghosts or fossils despite the place being pretty ancient,or find an abandoned house full of assorted spooks even if it's not the theme of the level(Wilikin Village had that as one of the many weird stuff and I give it credit for that). Just because they like to lurk in the shadows,doesn't mean we need to go to said shadows first to find them. Even Golden Desert,which was full of undead folk, had them come out of convenient tombs instead of running into those tombs by chance.

Oh, I got it now!

You mean, there are areas where you can see features from other Elements (like rocks or crystals for Earth, puddles of water or shells, for Water, lava and craters for Fire) but only a few have some Undead related things.
Yes, it's true.

SA really had a lot of elemental features directly fused with the environments, without the use of Elemental Gates.
In fact, why use Elemental Gates?

Why can't they simply put certain elemental hazards, that only Skylanders from the same Element can get past (crystals that only Earth Skylanders can destroy, lava rivers for Fire, deep lakes for Water)?
They would bend better with the levels, and would work in the same way.

It would require a lot more level design effort, but the results would be incredible. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#11 Posted: 20:02:27 18/03/2015

Yeah, they do need to balance it a bit more. TfB seems to be better at balancing with their last 3 than I've seen with VV on SF. Undead areas in SF seemed fake and plastic to me. We had lightning, crypts spiders and all sorts of things that go bump in the night on TfB entries.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:03:32 18/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#12 Posted: 20:05:13 18/03/2015
That'd be awesome,Giants kinda advanced towards that with the extended gate areas that were entire houses or valleys but they kinda went back on that lately.
And it's not too hard to think of what to do with elemental hazards, they did that with the Tzo Crystals and the gates(and bridges where they applied) themselves. Undead can order piles of bones or spider nests to clear a path,Air landers can control a strong gust to lead them around seemingly impossible to dodge obstacles,Dark and Light can adjust the shadows and light sources of a room to reveal a secret path... That's just things I can think off the top of my head. Or it can be even expanded to being like the Swap zones and being minigames all on their own.
---
Eruptor100 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1446
#13 Posted: 20:21:29 18/03/2015
This is and is not my kind of topic.
---
Stick em up!
Credit to big green
#14 Posted: 20:47:58 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
One thing I absolutely loved about SWAP Force were the Dual Elemental Zones.

Just seeing how creatively they could mix two Elements together, sometimes even the opposite ones, was extremely delightful.

If they could manage to merge all those features together, in differents environments, the outcome would be incredible.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#15 Posted: 20:53:02 18/03/2015
Now that needs to be SKL5's gimmick.
The original gimmick of elements' big comeback, gathering knowledge from all previous games for maximum exploration.
(though this being VV's second game it's sad that it probably won't happen, especially considering how they managed to file trademarks for 4 game names at once back during Swap Force meaning they probably still have a few ideas they want to go through).
---
#16 Posted: 21:11:37 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Mmmh... Well, Nano Squad and Kaos Alliance were probably fused to create Trap Team, so... Who knows?

I have full faith in V.V., even if their game is my least favorite of the series, I'm still talking about the """""worst""""" of the best, and I'm sure they learned from their mistakes.

But yes, the first game worked so better, at least for me, exactly because it created a strong connection between us Portal Masters and the different Elements.

Maybe the focus of the fifth chapter will be Light and Dark, and how the Skylands will accept these old, but at the same time unknown Elements.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#17 Posted: 21:17:48 18/03/2015
One thing I absolutely loved about SWAP Force were the Dual Elemental Zones.

Just seeing how creatively they could mix two Elements together, sometimes even the opposite ones, was extremely delightful.

If they could manage to merge all those features together, in differents environments, the outcome would be incredible.

They did a great job on mixing the two on the theme of the zone therein. It was new and different.
---
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#18 Posted: 21:35:21 18/03/2015
I was actually pretty disappointed Trap team didn't have any of the element detail. I think it was the perfect game to reintroduce it with villains of each element.

They should've brought back elemental advantages/disadvantages ( water good against fire, fire good against undead etc).

And the levels should have been relatively element specifc. E.g. Hunting wolf gang in an undead level.
Why wouldn't they be hiding where they had an advantage?

I just replayed mist of SA this past weekend and it really did remind me how much effects elements had back then. Fire attacks were the only thing that could destroy zombies and were the only skylanders that could walk across lava etc. it's makes it such a better game.

Flying skylanders also had a big purpose in that they were really good for doing story levels quick coz you could fly over lava and water that you'd usually need a swimmer for etc. now flying doesn't do anything really except make u faster.

also just a thought I had.... double Troubles last upgrade was walking over water right ? Does that mean that upgrade is completely useless in recent games? Seeing as swimming isn't a thing anymore
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
#19 Posted: 21:43:27 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Yes, all those features should have been in Trap Team (even if I kinda liked how most of the Doom Raiders and villains weren't in a compelling environment, bacause it fits the villains on the loose theme).

Double Trouble and Stump Smash's Soul Gems have changed, but not Zap's, from what I've seen.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#20 Posted: 22:01:27 18/03/2015
Flying is actually as useful as before,even without the element hazards. If you aren't that good with jumping over enemy energy waves you can just fly over them,though not forever since eventually it gets to a jump-only height if you fly. Definately gives some advantage to some that can fly and can't turn around well like Cynder and SB.
---
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#21 Posted: 23:17:27 18/03/2015

Exactly. smilie

This.
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#22 Posted: 23:29:56 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: skylandersspyro

Exactly. smilie

This.

It has been confirmed that happened in both SA and Giants.
Not in SWAP Force, it seems.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#23 Posted: 01:59:43 19/03/2015
Yes, all those features should have been in Trap Team (even if I kinda liked how most of the Doom Raiders and villains weren't in a compelling environment, bacause it fits the villains on the loose theme).

Double Trouble and Stump Smash's Soul Gems have changed, but not Zap's, from what I've seen.

Double troubles in trap team is still just " fly over water" though. I literally just tested it and it does nothing .

Stump smash and zaps are fine coz they heal in water so it's not really a waste. They just heal in any puddle or stream through the levels e.g. The Persephone river or soda puddles on the first level. Even in doom challenge water .
---
#24 Posted: 06:56:58 19/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: wild_defender

Double troubles in trap team is still just " fly over water" though. I literally just tested it and it does nothing .

Stump smash and zaps are fine coz they heal in water so it's not really a waste. They just heal in any puddle or stream through the levels e.g. The Persephone river or soda puddles on the first level. Even in doom challenge water .

Weird...

I tried Zap yesterday, but the water didn't healed him... Maybe I should have waited a bit longer...
Double Trouble's Soul Gem was a bit different in SWAP Force, it's a pity they changed it again in Trap Team.

Are you sure he cannot hover over lava or goo...?
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#25 Posted: 10:58:51 19/03/2015

Exactly. smilie

This has been the case since SSA.
Lol I thought everyone knew this so I never shared it.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
#26 Posted: 11:37:55 19/03/2015

Weird...

I tried Zap yesterday, but the water didn't healed him... Maybe I should have waited a bit longer...
Double Trouble's Soul Gem was a bit different in SWAP Force, it's a pity they changed it again in Trap Team.

I didn't test zap much, I was using stump smash mostly but their upgrade is the same so I assume it works in all the same places. I'll give zap and double trouble a thorough look over the weekend though . double trouble could not get stuck in goo or something but it's odd as the upgrade still only refers to floating on water.
---
#27 Posted: 13:46:23 19/03/2015 | Topic Creator

Weird...

I didn't test zap much, I was using stump smash mostly but their upgrade is the same so I assume it works in all the same places. I'll give zap and double trouble a thorough look over the weekend though . double trouble could not get stuck in goo or something but it's odd as the upgrade still only refers to floating on water.

Yes,bit's weird that they didn't changed the description, but that's what it does.
It works like a permanent flight, allowing you to pass over obstacles that would normally damage him.

For example, he was able to hover over the goo in the Kaos's Fortress level, in SWAP Force.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#28 Posted: 20:25:51 19/03/2015

Weird...

Yes,bit's weird that they didn't changed the description, but that's what it does.
It works like a permanent flight, allowing you to pass over obstacles that would normally damage him.

For example, he was able to hover over the goo in the Kaos's Fortress level, in SWAP Force.

Checked some things, so zap does heal in all the same puddles n stuff but it only shows up if he is damaged, stump smash it shows a +50 anytime he touches any liquid even if at full health, but they both still work the same.

I checked double trouble and goo still damages him when he walks over it smilie so I think they forgot to keep him updated. I don't know if there's anything besides goo I can test with him, is there lava in trap team?
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#29 Posted: 21:53:53 19/03/2015
its an awesome little feature this one smilie
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#30 Posted: 22:29:42 19/03/2015 | Topic Creator

Checked some things, so zap does heal in all the same puddles n stuff but it only shows up if he is damaged, stump smash it shows a +50 anytime he touches any liquid even if at full health, but they both still work the same.

I checked double trouble and goo still damages him when he walks over it smilie so I think they forgot to keep him updated. I don't know if there's anything besides goo I can test with him, is there lava in trap team?

Oh, that's probably why Zap's healing "didn't work", for me, he was at full health. smilie

Mmmh... It's more or less the same thing, but you could try with Krankcase's slime pits, during his battle.
Or Monster Marsh's cursed swamp.
I think some areas past the Fire Traptanium Elemental Gate have some lava that would damage the Skylanders, but I'm not that sure of it.

Nothing else, for what I remember. :/
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me