Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
They Call Him the Champ [CLOSED]
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#1 Posted: 02:49:06 13/03/2015 | Topic Creator
So after contemplating whether or not to go through and make this topic, here I am! Read below for details, please. <3

Synopsis: Brendan finds himself one day removed from a whirlwind adventure taking him from across the Hoenn region to the outer reaches of the very earth itself! But with peace restored and the Pokémon League conquered, what's a newly crowned Champion to do?

Main Characters (Human): Brendan, May, Steven, Norman, and more!
Main Characters (Pokémon): Swampert, Absol, Latias, Rayquaza, and even more!

So, what's up with this?
Way back in 2009 I made a series of short stories for fun on another forum. They took place after Pokémon Emerald. The forum went defunct this past year, prompting me to look back on these. After getting to play ORAS, I decided to redo them and bring them into the Sixth Generation. The stories (referred to as "Chapters") will vary in length. Some may be 1 part. Others may be 20! Throughout them all, you'll get to see familiar characters and more than a few unexpected ones. The continuity may not be 100% accurate, but I'm not exactly an expert with these things.

Those of you who've played Survivor dS are a bit familiar with my writing style. But for some of you, this'll be the first you see of it. I'm hoping you'll enjoy them.

How often will you update?
Sporadically. I'm not promising any regular schedule, since I'm fairly busy. But I'll try my best!

What's with the links you're posting in the stories?
They're links to "flavor music." They're tracks that I listen to while I'm writing them. I think they better the reading experience. You're welcome to listen to them or not. Your choice!

Can I help out in any way?
I appreciate the thought! ^.^ I may open up to suggestions for chapters at a later point. But for now I appreciate any comments or feedback you have.

Anyway, first part should hopefully be up soon. I hope you enjoy!
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:55:56 13/03/2015 by HIR
#2 Posted: 23:55:15 13/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Chapter 1: Lazy Day

Music

Brendan let out a loud yawn and stretched out his arms. His spine responded with a satisfying crick and he quickly nestled his arms back under his head, propping him up further against the smooth rock nestled into the shore line. Out of the corner of his eyes, he noticed the twitch of a pointed, yellow ear. He rolled over to steal a glance at the source: his Pikachu, Duchess, garbed in her rockstar outfit, napped soundly atop his Swampert. The Mud Fish Pokémon didn't seem to mind. Like his trainer, his head was resting atop his hands. Only he was sprawled out on his belly.

The threesome had been parked up on the shore of a tiny island bank along the choppy water of Route 131 for several hours. While Swampert and Duchess were quickly lulled to sleep by the sun's warm rays, Brendan had no such luck. Look at them lying there, snoozing without a care. Brendan thought. Wish I could be so lucky. He sighed.

Seeing no further activity from his Pokémon, he rolled his head back to his left and fixed his gaze on the Ultra Ball that lay nestled in the sand. What am I going to do with you? He thought, his mind instantly forming up the shape of a large, slender, green serpentine. He winced.

Everything had happened so fast he wasn't able to process it. Climbing the Sky Pillar, the fateful encounter with Rayquaza, the ensuing battle with the mysterious Zinnia, and finally his journey to the edges of the earth atop the mighty Pokémon's back. And to top it all off, he spent the evening watching the meteor shower with May. By the time he finally returned to his room, he relished the change for a good night's sleep.

But it never came. Instead, his dreams were plagued with the events of the previous day: Zinnia's adrenaline-charged grin and she yelled orders to her Pokémon. The looks of terror on her dragons' faces as the Super Ancient Pokémon of legend bared down on them. And the sheer force of the legendary's attacks as he effortlessly tore through Zinnia's team. And, of course, the blinding flash of the meteoroid as Brendan charged it head on.

He barely slept. So in an effort to clear his mind, Brendan departed early for Hoenn's coast. But as he lay in the sand, looking out on the rolling water of the sea-based route, he found himself conflicted. Rayquaza's much too powerful of a Pokémon to use in a battle. Zinnia's dragons were fierce, and they didn't even stand a chance! He thought as he reached out and grabbed the Ultra Ball with his left hand. I can't let it harm other Pokémon. Maybe I should release it? He started rolling the Ultra Ball around in the sand.

Every fiber of his being told him it made sense to release Rayquaza. After all, they we aren't in danger anymore, so we have no need for each other, right? He thought. But still, He thought as he looked back down at the sealed Legendary, Through all that crazy stuff, I can't help but feel like I've grown close to you. Why else would you Mega Evolve if we hadn't struck some sort of bond? And without a Mega Stone, no less!

Brendan slowly pushed himself up from his feet. "I think I've been thinking things through to much!" He said, stifling a yawn. The sudden exclamation got the attention of his slumbering Pokémon. Duchess's ears twitched one more, but this time she picked her head up.

"Pika!" She greeted, jumping off Swampert and landing in front of Brendan. Swampert was a bit slower to get up, greeting his trainer with a series of grumbles as he lumbered to his feet and shook off the sand.

"How about we go look for a trainer to battle?" Brendan suggested. That ought to take my mind off of things. Swampert's eyes lit up in understanding and it gave an eager nod. Duchess didn't seem particularly interested, but nimbly climbed her way up Brendan's torso and perched herself on his shoulder. "Ha ha, alright Duchess. I suppose you can watch." Duchess nodded in agreement. "Let's get going, Swampert." Brendan said, reaching down to swoop up the Ultra Ball and place it in his bag. Swampert nodded and hopped off the beach into the salty water. Brendan leaped atop his starter and the two surfed off away from the island.
---
#3 Posted: 23:55:41 13/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Music

Brendan didn't need to surf very far before he caught the eye of a female Ace Trainer. She raced toward him atop a Sharpedo. "Hey, hold up a second!" She cried as she surfed up next to him. "You look like a pretty tough trainer. The name's Valerie. How about a quick 1-on-1 battle?"

"Fine by me." Brendan replied. He jerked his head over in the direction of a nearby strip of land. The two trainers surfed over and disembarked. "So, you going to use that Sharpedo then?" Brendan asked.

"No. This guy's mostly for getting around the water routes quicker." Valerie answered, smirking as she grabbed a Poké Ball from her belt. "I'll introduce you to my partner... Go for it, Roserade!" She announced, sending out her Pokémon. It landed gracefully on the sand and shielded its smirk with one of it's bouquets.

Music

"So, a grass and poison-type, is it?" Brendan noted. "That'd be a pretty tough match for my Swampert here. But I think he's up to the task! Right, Swampert?" Swampert nodded and leaped out of the water, landing in front of Roserade. Brendan looked down toward his wrist. His Mega Bracelet glimmered in the sunlight. Valerie's eyes immediately caught site of his Key Stone as he raised his wrist up and her face briefly paled.

"Ready, buddy? MEGA EVOLVE!" Brendan cried, raising his hand skyward. His Mega Bracelet glowed vibrantly as Swampert was encased in a swirling aura transforming him into his hulking Mega Evolution. The starter slammed its large fists down to the ground and gave his opponent a fierce gaze.

"Don't worry, Roserade. We've still got the advantage on him." Valerie consoled. "Now tie him up with Grass Knot!" She cried. Roserade nodded curtly and leaped toward Swampert. It slammed the ground and several blades of grass shot out toward Swampert, attempting to knock him over.

"Turn that grass aside with Surf!" Brendan ordered. Swampert instantly raised up into the air on a plume of water and slammed it down, scattering the grass and drenching the field. Roserade nimbly jumped over the water, dodging the attack with ease.

"Sludge Bomb!" Valerie called. Roserade immediately launched a glob of purple ooze toward Swampert.

"Roll off to the side and doge it." Brendan yelled. Swampert tucked in its arms and dived to the left, but his right side was grazed by the attack, causing him to wince.

"Keep it up, Roserade! Use Sunny Day!" Valerie cheered. Roserade looked skyward and exhaled deeply as it glowed with a bright aura. The sunlight above the island immediately raised in intensity.

She's setting up for a Solar Beam! Better not let her get that opportunity. Brendan thought. "Earthquake, Swampert!" He cried. Swampert slammed the ground with its fists and let loose an earth-shattering series of tremors. Still focused on executing Sunny Day, Roserade was sent reeling by the attack and skidded to a stop in front of Valerie.

"Now, Hammer Arm!" Brendan shouted. Swampert charge at Roserade, his left arm glowing with energy.

"Dode it to the left and use Grass Knot!" Valerie ordered. Roserade narrowly avoided the punch from Swampert and speared it with blades of grass. Swampert howled in pain as the attack knocked it off its feet. "Way to go! Now take him out with Solar Beam!" She beamed with confidence as Roserade turned and fired a beam of green energy toward the Mud Fish Pokémon."

"Ice Beam, Swampert!" Brendan called. Swampert quickly righted himself and fired off a stream of ice shards from its maw. It hit the Solar Beam dead on and cancelled it out. "Another Ice Beam!" Brendan cried. Swampert fired off another round. Valerie had no time to react and Roserade was struck by the super effective attack. It cried in pain as it bounced across the sand and tumbled to the edge of the island.

"C'mon Roserade! Get up, you've still got this!" Valerie encouraged. The Bouquet Pokémon shakily got to its feet, panting heavily from the exertion. "Awesome, now use Sludge Bomb!" Roserade spat out another ball of ooze.

"Dodge it and use Ice Beam again!" Brendan cried. With astonishing speed, Swampert leaped into the air and fired off another stream of ice. Valerie's and Roserade's eyes widened in shock at the large Pokémon's show of athleticism. Roserade was helpless as the ice beam struck it head on, followed by Swampert's hulking form plowing her into the ground.

"No, Roserade!" Valerie gasped.

Brendan tensed. The scene of Swampert jumping off the fainted Roserade was briefly replaced by a different sight: A green and black missile shooting out of the sky, golden ribbons trailing along its sides, and driving a terrified Salamence into the ground. He shook his head and looked around in a daze.

Valerie scooped the unconscious Roserade up into her arms. "You gave it your all, partner. Thanks." She whispered as she grabbed Roserade's Poké Ball and returned it. Clasping the Poké Ball she walked up to Brendan. "That was some battling. Your Swampert had us overwhelmed despite a serious type disadvantage. You must be some trainer." She remarked.

"Wha-?" Brendan murmured. Duchess looked over in concern and rapped Brendan on the back of his head with her tail. Brendan blinked a few times and regained his composure. "U-Uh, thanks. Your Roserade was good too."

"You ever thought about challenge the Pokémon League? I bet you'd do great, especially with Mega Evolution." Valerie suggested.

"I guess I'll consider it." Brendan chuckled as he thought to himself, Been there, done that.

"Well, I'm off to keep training. Maybe we'll battle again some time!" She bid farewell as she climbed aboard Sharpedo and surfed off to the east. Swampert, now back to normal, looked over at Brendan with a look of confusion. Brendan looked back at his bag, one thought clear in his mind.

I've got to do something with this Rayquaza before it drives me crazy.

End of chapter!
---
drobot007 Green Sparx Gems: 390
#4 Posted: 11:38:20 14/03/2015
Sweet. Another Pokemon fan fic.
Have you read mine?
---
Add me on Fortnite: ElmoCaused911
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#5 Posted: 14:14:02 14/03/2015
That was really good, just watch on your spelling of "dodge", it caught you a few times.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
#6 Posted: 20:32:55 20/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Chapter 2: Artsy Afternoon

“Welcome to the Pokémon Center.” Nurse Joy greeted. “Would you like to rest your Pokémon?”

Brendan grabbed Swampert’s Poké Ball out of his bag and handed it over. “Just this one, please.” He replied with a curt nod.

“I’ll just take your Pokémon for a moment, then.” Nurse Joy said as she took the Poké Ball out of his hand and placed it on the bed of a large console. Brendan watched as an image of Swampert appeared on the television screen behind the Pokémon Center caretaker as the machine whirred to life and radiated with several bright flashes.

The machine turned off seconds later, and Nurse Joy quickly grabbed the Poké Ball and returned it to Brendan. “Here you are.” She said as she handed the Poké Ball back over to its trainer. “Thank you for using the Pokémon Center. We hope to see you again soon.” She bid farewell with a curt nod.

Hmm… if she wants to see me again soon, then does that mean she wants my Pokémon to get injured? Brendan thought. He quickly dismissed the idea as he turned his attention to the PC. He typed in a few commands into the keyboard. He placed Duchess’s Poké Ball in the terminal and it disappeared in a flash of light. An instant later, a trio of Poké Balls and one Ultra Ball materialized in the terminal. Brendan grabbed them and tossed them into his bag save form one of the Poké Balls. This one had a triangle drawn on it in black marker.

He strolled out of the Pokémon Center and into the warm afternoon sun washing over Oldale Town. It had not taken him too long to return to the small town after his battle with Valerie. He was anxious to reunite with his team after he had chosen to deposit most of them following the events at the Sky Pillar. But he had especially missed the Pokémon whose Poké Ball he clasped in both hands.

Sure, Swampert was my starter. Brendan thought as he began to walk absentmindedly toward Route 103. But you introduced me to Mega Evolution. And that’s a bond we’ll share as long as we’re together. He looked around and, when he was sure there weren’t other young trainers around he opened up the Poké Ball.

A flash of blue light darted in front of him, only for a sudden blur to rush toward him. He could barely process any of this before he found himself tackled to the ground by a large, plane-shaped, avian-like Pokémon. She had a white upper body save for a pointed, red face with a splash of white in its center. The lower half of her torso was red, with a triangle marking embedded in the center. A pair of plane-like wings protruded from her back and her red arms were pressed up against her trainer’s chest.

“Brendan! I’m so happy to see you’re okay.” A youthful, high-pitched female voice rang out through Brendan’s mind as the Pokémon nuzzled him with her cheek.

“Oof! H-Hi Latias. I-It’s good to see you too.” Brendan laughed nervously as he resisted the young Legendary Pokémon’s display of affection. Latias rose off from Brendan and gazed happily at him with her amethyst eyes. “And what do you mean, ‘You’re happy to seem me okay?’ Why wouldn’t I be okay?” He asked with a suspicious glance.

“O-Oh! …Um, well…” Latias stammered telepathically. “I-It’s just,” She blushed and looked away, “Back on the Sky Pillar yesterday. W-We were trying to get Rayquaza’s help and you seemed… nervous. And after you put me back in the Poké Ball, I sensed a great amount of fear and it didn’t go away!” She frowned slightly and looked back at him in concern. “I-I was scared that something terrible had happened to you.”

Brendan sighed. “No, it’s alright, Latias.” He looked a bit downcast. “I was scared yesterday.” He took the time to relay to the Eon Pokémon the events following her encounter with the Super Ancient Pokémon. She could sense the concern in his thoughts and it made her shiver. As he finished his tale, she looked over at his bag.

“So Rayquaza, he’s with you now?” She asked, her gaze becoming more curious.

“Yup.” Brendan pulled the Ultra Ball out of his bag. Like Latias’s Poké Ball, he had marked this one with a squiggly line on its base. “I’m still trying to figure out exactly what to do with him, though. I’m just not sure it’s right for me to hang on to Rayquaza. But at the same time I feel… I dunno… close to him.”

“Like you do with me?” Latias asked, her eyes beaming.

“I suppose so.” He whistled. She squeaked happily.

“Ohhh, can I see him again? I want to say ‘Hi!’” She pleaded, giving him the biggest puppy dog eyes she could muster.

“Maybe at another time.” Brendan suggested. The dragoness’s disappointment rang out through his mind and he smirked. “Now, now, better behave yourself. Or I may just keep you two separated.” He teased.

“Not fair!” She pouted, sticking out her lower lip. Brendan couldn’t help but chuckle at the sight of a Legendary Pokémon acting like a little girl trying to get exactly what she wants.

“Hey Brendan!” Another female voice, this one not in his mind, called out, interrupting the moment. Latias gave a startled gasp and ruffled her thin coat of feathers, disappearing completely from view. Brendan looked over to see May running over, waving enthusiastically. He looked over at the invisible Legendary and rolled his eyes.

“Take it easy, Latias. It’s just May.” Brendan reassured. Latias sent him a mental affirmation and dropped her cover. May briefly jumped back at the sight, before recognizing the Eon Dragoness and continuing over toward Brendan.

“So, this is where you’ve been hiding, huh?” May greeted, stopping to catch her breath from her little sprint.

“Good to see you too, May.” Brendan said. “So what’s up? Professor Birch got you running around on business again?” He asked.

“No way.” She replied. “And please don’t tell me that’s all you think I’m up to whenever we meet up!”

“Well it is all you ever talked about in the past if you didn’t plan on challenging me to a battle.” Brendan pointed out. He looked over toward Latias with a confident smirk, “So if you’re not here to talk about field work…?”

“Oh, no no no no no no!” May gasped, shaking her head. “I was actually here to ask you if you were interested in coming with me,” She fumbled about her bag, produced a brochure, and shoved it in Brendan’s face, “To this?”

Today only: Lilycove Museum’s Pokémon Art Fair!
Enjoy unique works of art from across the globe paying tribute to our beloved Pokémon companions. Local artists and vendors from throughout Hoenn will be on site offering artwork and accepting commissions. Free admission!

“An… art fair?” Brendan felt a bit deflated. “So, no battle then?” Latias rolled her eyes as her trainer’s shoulders sagged slightly.

“C’mon, Brendan!” May encouraged, elbowing him lightly in the ribs. “There will plenty of time for battles another day. I thought this was something different we could do together.”

“I dunno,” Brendan hummed, moving his hands behind his head and resting his forearms on his shoulders. “We saw the meteor shower yesterday. And that was different.” May rolled her eyes and placed her hands squarely on her hips.

“Now you’re just making excuses.” She whined.

“I think it sounds like fun!” Latias piped up, bobbing her head in excitement. She floated up to May and nodded vigorously, letting out an excited squeal.

“See, even Latias wants to go.” She said with a grin.
---
#7 Posted: 20:34:00 20/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Great, betrayed by my own Pokémon. He sighed mentally. “Alright, I guess it can’t hurt.” He conceded with a shrug. He turned over to Latias and looked at her sternly. “But you’ll need to stay invisible. Don’t want everyone chasing after us again, okay?” He instructed as he walked up beside the dragoness and whispered, “Traitor,” with a slight chuckle.

“You’ll thank me for this someday.” She teased. Brendan ignored her and jumped onto the Pokémon’s trunk. His Mega Bracelet started to glow.

“I’ll be right behind you.” May called out as she released her Swellow from her Poké Ball. Brendan nodded and raised his left hand into the air. In an instant he and Latias were swallowed up by a colorful orb of energy as Latias Mega Evolved and raced off into the sky. “Alright, Swellow, let’s get going.” She cheered, hopping aboard the bird as it soared after Latias.

She was so excited she failed to notice the rustling in the tall grass behind her as a shifty pair of eyes followed the path traced out by the Eon Dragoness high into the sky. The creature the eyes belonged to let out a soft grunt and quickly dashed for the cover of the trees.

---

Latias quickly swooped down by Lilycove’s Pokémon Center and Brendan hopped off. She was encased by another bright flash as she returned to her normal form. She faded out of view in the waning sunlight but Brendan felt her presence as she glided toward his side. May ran over from across the walkway, Swellow perched happily on her shoulder. “So, are you ready to head over?”

“I can’t talk you out of this, can I?” Brendan grinned sheepishly. He felt something bump his back and could tell Latias was egging him on. Together, the two trainers climbed the stairs up toward the museum. To their surprises, the upper walkway was littered with a number of different booths. Various forms of art were on display across the different booths. A blonde-haired attendant noticed the duo and walked up to them.

“Hi there!” She greeted. “Welcome to the Pokémon Art Fair. The international exhibits are up inside. But feel free to peruse the vendors out here at your leisure.” She handed over a small map to May with a lay out of the booths. Swellow craned its neck forward to glance at it curiously.

“Thanks.” May acknowledged. She grabbed Brendan’s hand and yanked him toward some of the booths by the mall. The first one had several pottery wheels set up. A pair of twins was stationed at one of the wheels. One operated the pedal while the other cupped its hands around a lump of clay. Next to them, an elderly woman operated her own wheel with greater finesse. A brightly-painted clay pot stood on a small table next to her.

“Want to try some pottery?” May asked. A small clump of clay landed on Brendan’s shoe and he looked over at the two twins who were now bickering with one another as the wheel slowed down.

“I’ll… pass.” He mumbled, rubbing out the clay in the grass. He was vaguely aware of Latias silently hovering above him, her gaze fixed on a glassworks booth. The vendor, a plump gentleman with a scrunched face and a bright red nose, was speaking to a pair of Aroma Ladies. Brendan’s eyelids raised in curiosity as he noticed a small glass Pokémon figurine: a blue serpent with a large white nose.

“Yes, these glass figures are made using volcanic ash from our very own Mt. Chimeny!” The vendor explained. “My Linoone and I go out and gather volcanic ash in the afternoon.” The badger-like Pokémon beamed proudly.

“Wow, those are really cool.” May gushed as she fawned over a multicolored Breloom figure.

“Ah, yes, I finished up Breloom a couple of weeks ago.” The vendor shifted his attention toward the young trainer. “I’m pleased with how the colors came out. Are you interested in purchasing it?”

“O-Oh, um…” May stammered, taken aback by the vendor’s upfront attitude. “Well, it looks really cool. But I’m worried I might break it trying to take it back home.” She reached over and scratched Swellow on her chin. “My Swellow here is a pretty fast flyer, and I don’t think I could hang on to both.”

“I see,” The vendor murmured, stroking his mustache in thought. “Well I do keep bubble wrap around for the more adventurous types. Would that be enough?”

“I could levitate it along with us when we fly home.” Latias offered. Brendan leaned over and relayed the dragoness’s offer to May. Her eyes lit up and she turned back to the vendor.

“I’ll take it!” She announced, fumbling for her bag to grab some money.

“Wonderful! I’ll wrap it up for you.” The vendor grinned as he asked his Linoone to fetch the bubble wrap. May watched eagerly as tenderly wound the bubble wrap around the glass figurine.

Brendan yawned as he fixed his gaze off into space. He could feel Latias eyeing his actions suspiciously from above. Though she didn’t attempt to communicate with him, he could sense her disapproval. “Hmm, what’s that?” A sudden twinkle of light caught his eye and he turned to find the source. It was a chisel that had been set on top of a large block of wood.

“Are they making kindling for a fire or something?” He asked aloud, thinking back on the many kindlers he’d encountered in his travels. “Could be fun to help out,” He murmured, immediately envisioning his Altaria setting a giant wooden campfire ablaze with her flamethrower.

He decided to walk over toward the chisel. But to his surprise, he didn’t find fire-making equipment. Instead, he noticed an array of wooden Pokémon statues, including a Sharpedo, Kirlia, and a bulky looking Kyogre. “Did someone carve these using wood?” He asked.

“They’re remarkably detailed.” Latias hummed. “I wonder how this artist was able to add in some of the features like the eyes. It doesn’t look like the statues were drawn on.”

“Maybe there’s something in that chest?” Brendan suggested, pointing to a large metal case stationed next to a chair. He immediately did a double take as he noticed the logo stamped on the toolbox: a white circle with a pair of bones pointing in opposite, diagonal directions on the bottom to make an “A.”
---
#8 Posted: 20:34:57 20/03/2015 | Topic Creator
“T-Team Aqua?” He gasped, looking around for any signs of the bandana-wearing grunts he’d come to know so well. He felt Latias tensing up above him.

“Oh, hey there, little dude. Notice my woodcarvings, did you?” A mellow, male voice spoke from behind him. Brendan whirled around and found himself looking at a young man in a white shirt and cargo pants. Though the outfit was unfamiliar, the pointed goatee and short-cut hair was unmistakable. It was a Team Aqua Grunt.

He narrowed his eyes suspiciously and asked, “What’s Team Aqua doing at an art fair?”

“Whoa, how did you know I was with Team Aqua, little dude?” The grunt asked, raising an eyebrow. He took a look at Brendan and his eyes widened in realization. “DUDE!” He shouted, causing Brendan to jump back. “You’re the little dude who, like, stopped Kyogre and set Archie straight. I knew I recognized you from somewhere!”

He walked around to his booth and stood over the woodcarvings. “That didn’t answer my question, you know.” Brendan pointed out.

“Oh right, sorry dude.” The grunt kneeled down and opened up the metal case, revealing different sized chisels, a few knives, and a strange metal contraption that reminded Brendan of a pen. “Well, dude, Archie always told us that, like, a man needs a hobby. Y’know, to keep him grounded and stuff. Ya feel?”

Brendan shrugged. “So I tried out a few different things. Singing sea shanties, building ships in a bottle, and even roller blading. But they weren’t that fun, dude.” The grunt explained. “Then my bro, Archie, introduced me to woodcarving. And I just started to get in this zone, dude. I could feel all these wicked creative juices flowing.”

“I’m afraid I’m not following.” Latias sighed mentally.

“I used my days off to make some these Pokémon woodcarvings.” The grunt explained, gesturing to the small figures. “And then Archie told me about this art fair.” The grunt chuckled as he admitted, “I’m actually, like, thankful you and your Pokémon stopped Kyogre. I totally wouldn’t have been able to do this if Kyogre done went and flooded everything up.” The grunt grabbed ahold of his largest and chisel, “Say, how about I make a carving of one of your Pokémon as thanks, little dude?”

“I don’t know, I’m not a real big art guy.” Brendan admitted with a shrug.

“No problemo, mi compadre.” The grunt dismissed with a chuckle, earning confused stares from Brendan and the invisible Latias. “I thought this art stuff was sissy too. But it’s actually fun when you get into it. How about I give you a minute to think it over?” He suggested, as he turned his back and started sifting through blocks of wood.

“You did say you thought the woodcarvings looked cool.” Latias reminded Brendan mentally. “And I personally think I’d make an awesome little statue.” She bragged. Brendan sensed her beaming with pride.

“Who said I’d pick you?” Brendan chuckled. “I was thinking Absol would be pretty wicked.”

“We both know you’re only saying that to ruffle my feathers. Besides, you’d be fool to turn down an offer to get art of a Legendary Pokémon.” Latias teased. Brendan smirked and rolled his eyes.

“I guess you’re right, but try to stay off by the trees so we don’t get any attention.” He said. He sensed Latias nod and drift down next to the booth.

“So who were you talking to, little dude?” The Aqua Grunt asked as he turned back around.

“No one in particular.” Brendan waved off the question. “We decided to take you up on your offer?”

“We?” The grunt parroted, looking around for the other person involved in the decision. At that moment, Latias poked her head in from around the booth’s side curtain.

“Hyahn,” She cooed softly. The grunt nearly dropped the large wood block in surprise as she floated up next to him.

“Whoa! Nice choice there, little dude. I heard Matt mention some kid snagged a Latias, but I didn’t think that was you.” He whistled. He pulled out a small digital camera from his pocket. “Lemme snap a quick photo for reference.” Before the Pokémon or her trainer could respond, he raised the camera and it gave off a bright flash.

Latias’s pupils constricted and she blinked her eyes several times, looking dazed. She quickly disappeared once she regained her composure. The grunt took the time to produce a circular log from the woodpile. “I didn’t think I was actually going to have use for this. But it should work out.” He grabbed a hold of a carving knife and a chisel.
---
#9 Posted: 20:36:27 20/03/2015 | Topic Creator
“Stand back, little dude! I’m about to get all artsy up in here.” The grunt shouted as he sent the log down on a foldable metal table. Brendan raised an eyebrow curiously and the grunt shouted out a fierce battle cry and leapt at the log as if he was a Pokémon springing into battle. With an instant, a cloud of dust was kicked up and saw dust began flying in all directions.

“Whoa, what the heck?” Brendan gasped as he shield his face and took several steps back. At this point, other patrons noticed the flurry of activity and had run over to see what was happening.

Latias frowned from her position of cover beside the booth. “And here I thought that art was supposed to soothe the mind and body,” She sighed, sweatdropping.

“You’re telling me.” Brendan let out a nervous chuckle. After several minutes of frenzied activity, the dust cloud settled. The grunt stood proudly beside several piles of sawdust. The small crowd looked on in wonder as the table where the large log once stood now held a small wooden statue shaped in Latias’s form.

Brendan’s mouth went agape. “How did you do that so quickly?”

“Easy, compadre,” He chuckled, producing a book from his knapsack. He thrust it at Brendan.

Zen and the Art of Mastering Woodcarving,” He read aloud. “I should’ve known,” He chuckled.

“Well, that’s just the first part, mi amigo.” The grunt explained. “Now we need to add the details.”

“And how do you plan to do that?” A female onlooker asked. “With a marker?”

“Not quite, dudette.” The grunt responded, produced the pen-like tool from his toolbox. He showed it off to Brendan. “This is a wood burning pen. It, like, can burn through wood.”

“Won’t that make it go up in flames?” Latias telepathed in alarm.

Concerned for our statue, are we? Brendan thought with a smirk.

“N-No! I-I just don’t want the man’s hard work to go to waste, that’s all.” The dragoness huffed, refusing to admit the truth.

“Don’t worry, little dude,” The grunt piped up, seeing the concern from the crowd. “This doesn’t spit out fire or anything. It uses heat to make markings in the wood.” He produced a series of metal rods from a glass case. “I can use different sizes for different types of lines.” The grunt put on a pair of worker’s gloves and slid the thinnest rod into the wood burning pen.

Brendan and Latias watched with intrigue as the grunt set out delicately etching lines into the carving. He glanced back at his camera every so often but he remained steadily focused on the pen’s movement.

“So you’ve been hiding here the whole time?” Brendan heard May whispering at him and turned to see her standing next to him. She was clutching her heavily-wrapped glass figure. He also noticed a bracelet on her right wrist containing charms of several Pokémon. “I thought you’d totally ditched me.”

“No, I was drawn over here by the woodcarvings.” He gestured with his head at the Aqua Grunt, who was putting the finishing touches on the carving with his wood burning pen.

“Wow, is he making Latias?” She gawked.

“Sure am, little lady dude.” The grunt spoke up as he took off the worker’s gloves. “She’s looking mighty fine. But a little finish ought to make her sparkle.”

“Finish?” Brendan and May asked simultaneously.

“Some glaze that will make the wood glossy and resist water.” The grunt explained. He walked over to his stuff and produced a large container and a wide paintbrush. “Say, you want to help out with this part, little dude?”

“Uh, sure.” Brendan hesitated in his answer. The carving looked awesome. He didn’t want to ruin it. He stepped into the booth as the grunt laid out some paper under the carving and dipped the paintbrush into the finish.

“Now you want to be consistent with your brush strokes. Keep them going in one direction, like this.” He gave Brendan the paintbrush and guided Brendan’s hand as it applies a layer of finish across the body of the statue.

“Oooooh… pretty.” Latias remarked as Brendan daintily went about applying more finish to the rest of the carving.

“Dude, you’re a natural and stuff.” The grunt whistled. Brendan placed the paintbrush down and stopped to admire his handy work. The varnish dried pretty quickly, leaving the carving glimmering in the light of the setting sun. The remaining patrons mumbled in wonder.

“That’s wicked.” A guitarist noted.

“Mommy, can I get one like that?” A child asked.

“See, I guess it wasn’t such a bad thing that you came here after all?” May teased, a cheeky grin plastered on her face.

“Am I really going to get subject to an ‘I told you so,’ taunt?” Brendan groaned.

“Maybe next time,” May giggled.

“She may hold back, but that won’t stop me!” Latias boasted. “I told you so, I told you so!” She taunted in a singsong voice. Brendan ignored her and looked back to see the grunt hand him a ball of paper.

“Your statue is all wrapped up to go, little dude.” The grunt proclaimed. “Hope you enjoy it.” He turned his attention away from the two trainers as other interested patrons vied for his attention. Brendan smiled and clutched his gift in his hands.

“Thanks,” Brendan whispered.

---

Brendan yawned and stretched out on his bed. He looked over toward his desk and admired the shiny carving of Latias. From the carpet next to the bed, his Absol poked her head up to look at its trainer. “Sol?” She murmured, hoping to attract his attention. Brendan looked down and smiled.

“You enjoy the paintings, Absol?” He asked. Absol craned her neck to look at the poster Brendan hung across from his bed. It was a printout of his favorite painting from the exhibit: “Clash of Truth and Ideals.” Absol stared mystified at the sight of two large dragons, one a fluffy white and the other a metallic black, engaging in a fierce battle as fire and lightning arced around them.

Absol blinked a few times absentmindedly, before she stood up and jumped onto her trainer’s bed. “Oof,” Brendan grunted as the Disaster Pokémon curled up into a ball next to him. “Nice to see you enjoyed yourself.”

Absol rolled her head and raised an eyebrow at her trainer. “Yes, yes, I admit I enjoyed it too.” Absol smiled, satisfied with his response. He let out another yawn as he slid back onto his pillow. “I guess… I’m glad May convinced me to go.”

Thankfully Latias hadn’t heard his tired confession. The thought of not having to listen to her heckling him quickly lulled him to sleep.

End of Chapter

What, they're not ALL going to have battles. <.<;
---
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#10 Posted: 20:59:31 20/03/2015
I'm liking the similarity between the anime, without Ash's obnoxiousness. Good work.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6059
#11 Posted: 03:36:24 21/03/2015
[slash]needs more gay porn[/slash]

Very well written and a good story so far, but perhaps reread over a chapter once you finish it to try to catch any spelling/grammatical mistakes. Caught a few like Latias denoting wishes to meet Rayquaza "again" as if having already met the Pokemon, yet this is not true, is it?
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#12 Posted: 23:07:10 27/03/2015 | Topic Creator
@Seiki: That was actually intention. I probably didn't explain it right, but it's implied Latias fought Rayquaza in the Delta Episode. At least, mine did in-game. XP

Also, I'm going to try something different and use Google Docs to try and get around this nasty character limit.

Chapter 3 is here!

If the link's not working, please let me know. Enjoy and if you have any feedback, let me know! ^.^
---
#13 Posted: 05:41:24 31/03/2015
Ah, I see.

The link works, for me at least. I rather liked the nod back to the original RSE that Wallace made in only certain areas along the route having Feebas.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#14 Posted: 01:53:35 01/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Chapter 4: Hot Times at the Battle Resort

Brendan accepts an invitation to the Battle Resort, where familiar faces and a rival battle await!

Again, if the link's not working, let me know. This wound up being longer than I expected, but I didn't want to skimp on the battle. XP
---
#15 Posted: 06:22:53 02/04/2015
Chapter 4 requires permission to view.
---
#16 Posted: 12:08:50 02/04/2015 | Topic Creator
https://docs.google.com/docume...dit?usp=sharing

Forgot to turn on link sharing. ;>.> Try that one.
---
#17 Posted: 19:39:13 04/04/2015
Since this is a Pokemon fic, it is a good idea to keep a list of your Pokemon's moves to ensure you fit the 4 move limit and remember what moves they know. I counted Swampert having 5 moves during the battle (Surf, Muddy Water, Hammer Arm, Ice Beam, & Earthquake). Then Magnezone having Thunderbolt & Thundershock end up giving it 5 in addition to Protect, Tri-Attack, & Flash Canon.
---
#18 Posted: 00:44:10 08/04/2015 | Topic Creator
The Thunderbolt/Thundershock was likely a typo on my end. You'd never need both of those moves. But I did goof on Swampert there, nice catch. @.@;

Chapter 5: Here, There be Dragon Types

Let me know if there's an issue with the link. Otherwise, enjoy! ^.^
---
#19 Posted: 03:08:48 19/04/2015
Read the chapter awhile ago, but didn't know what to say other than "it's good smilie" this time around so refrained from posting before... Now posting not only to fulfill that simplistic response but also to keep HIR from having to double-post when new chapter comes up.
---
#20 Posted: 00:33:05 28/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Chapter 6: A Night of Chills and Thrills!

If you spot the Pokémon Manga reference, give yourself 6 HIR points. They aren't good for anything, but they'll give you a warm-fuzzy feeling for about a half a second. ^.^
---
#21 Posted: 18:20:33 05/05/2015
Oh geez 41 pages... @.@ Had to take that one a bit slowly and couldn't finish it in one day.

I lack any HIR points sadly. Only part of the manga I read was the Red/Blue chapters, didn't even finish Yellow. lol, that afterward tho. Hmm... brown egg with a cream colored stripe in the center.... Maybe Eevee???? Though Johto also makes me think possible Teddiursa.
---
#22 Posted: 00:54:13 16/05/2015 | Topic Creator
^Actually, it's about Courtney. XP

Chapter 7: Sick Day

This chapter has a bit of canon welding to the anime in that it mentions a location from one of the movies. Next chapter's when things are going to move a little bit beyond simple narrations of some stuff from the AS post-game. Because it's more fun that way! ^.^;
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me