Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > A witty analogy for raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour.
Page 1 of 1
A witty analogy for raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour. [CLOSED]
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#1 Posted: 02:03:30 14/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Wanting to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour is like wanting to have the base power of "tackle", "scratch", or "pound" raised to 90 in Pokemon. The minimum wage is not meant to support your family on, and "tackle", "pound", and "scratch" are not moves your pokemon are not meant to have by level 30 onward.
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#2 Posted: 02:18:06 14/02/2015
This is very true.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#3 Posted: 02:40:20 14/02/2015
I have mixed feelings about raising the minimum wage. On the one hand, it seems like a lot of the minimum wage jobs are for those who (hopefully) won't be working there forever, like teenagers and such. So it seems a bit unfair to pay someone something that they don't really deserve, especially if they just don't give a **** or if they're being lazy and don't want to put in the effort to work full time or something.

But on the other hand, not all of these jobs are for fast food places or Walmart. I was looking it up, and apparently EMTs, child care providers, nursing assistants, farm workers, etc. only get paid minimum wage. I don't really see how that's fair considering the training and possibly schooling they had to put into it, and they barely get paid anything. Also, you have to take into account that some people really have just hit rock bottom and have no other choice but to work a minimum wage job. It's not like every person who works at a McDonald's quit high school or didn't go to college and they aren't qualified for anything else. Every situation is different, and employers can't pick and choose who gets higher pay and who doesn't anyway, so the issue can get rather complicated.

Fifteen an hour might be a bit much, but honestly I kinda feel like there really isn't an excuse for making people scrape by with what little they get. Everyone deserves to live comfortably.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
#4 Posted: 03:01:05 14/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: AvatariDragon
I have mixed feelings about raising the minimum wage. On the one hand, it seems like a lot of the minimum wage jobs are for those who (hopefully) won't be working there forever, like teenagers and such. So it seems a bit unfair to pay someone something that they don't really deserve, especially if they just don't give a **** or if they're being lazy and don't want to put in the effort to work full time or something.

But on the other hand, not all of these jobs are for fast food places or Walmart. I was looking it up, and apparently EMTs, child care providers, nursing assistants, farm workers, etc. only get paid minimum wage. I don't really see how that's fair considering the training and possibly schooling they had to put into it, and they barely get paid anything. Also, you have to take into account that some people really have just hit rock bottom and have no other choice but to work a minimum wage job. It's not like every person who works at a McDonald's quit high school or didn't go to college and they aren't qualified for anything else. Every situation is different, and employers can't pick and choose who gets higher pay and who doesn't anyway, so the issue can get rather complicated.

Fifteen an hour might be a bit much, but honestly I kinda feel like there really isn't an excuse for making people scrape by with what little they get. Everyone deserves to live comfortably.

Yeah, I'm not overly opposed to raising the minimum wage, but $15 an hour is ridiculous. Try $10 an hour first.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6100
#5 Posted: 03:04:47 14/02/2015
Quote: Mrmorrises
Quote: AvatariDragon

Yeah, I'm not overly opposed to raising the minimum wage, but $15 an hour is ridiculous. Try $10 an hour first.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'd be fine with a raise to help people sustain themselves a bit more comfortably, but not to $15 an hour. Just an extra dollar or two would be just fine.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#6 Posted: 03:05:16 14/02/2015
$15 is too much. While I'm no economics major, I feel like raising the minimum wage that high that quickly could rapidly speed up inflation and just lead us back to the problem of "the minimum wage is too low" once the cost of living rises again.

I'm fine with $10-$11.
#7 Posted: 03:12:05 14/02/2015 | Topic Creator
It's just when people, like Obama in his 2015 State of the Union address imply that minimum wage is typically used to support a family, then it kinda is painful to listen to:

"And to everyone in this Congress who still refuses to raise the minimum wage, I say this: If you truly believe you could work full-time and support a family on less than $15,000 a year, go try it. If not, vote to give millions of the hardest-working people in America a raise"
#8 Posted: 03:16:30 14/02/2015
I think the idea he was getting at is that there are unfortunately families out there where the working person can only work a minimum wage job (sometimes two) and can't go anywhere else. Social security and food stamps are a thing, yes, but congress often debates reducing those too, which puts people in a bind. I'm more than fine with raising the minimum wage a slight bit to better support families. We just need to be reasonable.
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#9 Posted: 04:17:40 14/02/2015
$10 per hour minimum wage seems better tbh
---
words. letters. filler.
Rendar Platinum Sparx Gems: 6494
#10 Posted: 05:04:48 14/02/2015
Minimum wage is at one of its lowest points in comparison to inflation. Raising minimum wage is required to happen for people to survive. Not raising it would be wrong.
valskeletor Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#11 Posted: 05:13:25 14/02/2015
2/3's of people living on minimum wage have children

the average cost to support a child is higher than minimum wage
---
tubular
#12 Posted: 05:21:14 14/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Minimum wage jobs are typical of those who are in high school or who aren't done with college. You aren't mean to live on minimum wage for a lifetime.

Also, inflation is really low right now. About 0.8%.
#13 Posted: 05:36:20 14/02/2015
^Yeah but what about people who are done with college or are even older and they can't find a job other than minimum wage (or even lower) paying jobs? It stands to reason to raise it at least a little right?
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#14 Posted: 12:34:22 14/02/2015
I had pound on my Swampert until I got the move Surf, because there was nothing better to replace it.
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#15 Posted: 14:54:34 14/02/2015
Wait what. Holy ****. Ima get a job
#16 Posted: 16:04:20 14/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
^Yeah but what about people who are done with college or are even older and they can't find a job other than minimum wage (or even lower) paying jobs? It stands to reason to raise it at least a little right?

Yeah, that's why $10.00 per hour sounds reasonable. $15 is just way too radical.
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#17 Posted: 17:07:34 14/02/2015
Minimum wages are a double-edged sword. They're bad for the consumer and business and economy but great for the employee.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#18 Posted: 20:01:13 14/02/2015
Minimum wage doesn't need to be raised... Not at all...

$10 maximum.

Ten.

Ten.

No more, even that's pushing it in my opinion.
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#19 Posted: 22:07:11 14/02/2015
There is a problem if the minimum wage is raised to $15/ hour. If this happens, workers will have their hours slashed or some might even lose their jobs. Employers are not going to want to pay $15/hour, they should pay $10/hour because of the cost of living (housing, food, utilities, etc.) increases. The economy has not recovered and this will raise the unemployment rate once again. My concern is if the minimum wage is increased to $15/hour, employers are going to stop hiring people. So should the rate be raised to $15/hour? No. Should it be raised to $10/hour? Yes.
#20 Posted: 22:42:48 14/02/2015
Quote: Mrmorrises
Quote: CAV

Yeah, that's why $10.00 per hour sounds reasonable. $15 is just way too radical.

I agree.
wakapro77 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4196
#21 Posted: 23:03:57 14/02/2015
you know what would solve more problems. if the governement madeand printed MORE money.

since the whole world runs on money, we can just make MORE and solve the money problems!

then i can buy all the weed and caprisun roaring waters packasges i want
---
hence, the yiffening shall come

I submit my art on my tumblr. PM me for the link.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me