Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Site Help and Suggestions > Why Isn't There A Trade/Sell Section?
Page 1 of 1
Why Isn't There A Trade/Sell Section? [CLOSED]
INTIMIDAT3R Blue Sparx Gems: 857
#1 Posted: 11:02:11 04/02/2015 | Topic Creator
I was just wondering why there isn't a Trade/Sell Section?

It would seem logical since there's so much complaining about scalping and trouble finding certain figures.
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#2 Posted: 14:24:10 04/02/2015
Too much liability given the audience this site attracts. Too much hassle, too much worry, not worth the effort....
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:39:40 04/02/2015 by GhostRoaster
Graz73 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3215
#3 Posted: 14:48:50 04/02/2015
Look on facebook. there are groups like "Skylanders Swap/Sale and Disney Infinity" that do a good job for trading.
---
For Trade: EyeSmall, Punch Pop Fizz, Lava Barf Eruptor(black): PM to deal!
stinkbomb29 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1697
#4 Posted: 14:56:18 04/02/2015
I wish there was one here as well. But I understand the liability.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#5 Posted: 15:08:31 04/02/2015
Too many potential issues.

Nowadays, most of the people who browse the main Skylanders sections are pre-teen/early teens.

If advertising sales were allowed, there would, no doubt, be people advertising overpriced eBay auctions. And with overpriced auctions comes complaints.

If Trading was allowed, people can easily scam each other out of a trade by sending out fakes/not sending anything out at all.

And people would try to blame the site, instead of taking responsibility.

So, to wrap it up; There are too many young users here, and scams can happen. I've already seen multiple users get scammed on here by trying to conduct trades via PM.

I've even seen some users publicly post personal information here (passwords, addresses, and even their names.).
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#6 Posted: 00:39:16 05/02/2015
To clarify some misinformation that has been posted, there is no liability for the site, the owner(s), the servers that host the site or anything of the like for allowing buy/sell/trade. There is actual case law regarding this .

To give an honest answer to OP's question - There is no B/S/T because dark doesn't allow it on the forums (aside from very limited cases). Why not? You'd have to ask him.

And to address another remark:

Quote: Matteomax
I've already seen multiple users get scammed on here by trying to conduct trades via PM.

This. This is why a public buy/sell/trade forum would benefit the site. Right now, those looking to conduct honest buy/sell/trades are forced to hide in the shadows of this website, speaking in secret code and not being allowed to discuss good/bad trades. This means they're hiding in the shadows right along side the bad guys who are out to rip folks off.

I don't recall anyone getting ripped off in any of the authorized trade treads (trading cards, sidekicks, Hot Dogs...)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:22:54 05/02/2015 by UncleBob
INTIMIDAT3R Blue Sparx Gems: 857
#7 Posted: 03:35:43 05/02/2015 | Topic Creator
I think a B/S/T section could work very well here.

The Corvette, Camaro, and Monte Carlo Forums I'm also on have them and they work very well.

Especially since they also allow public feedback for transactions, both good and bad.
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:36:21 05/02/2015 by INTIMIDAT3R
Spinall4 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1019
#8 Posted: 04:14:03 05/02/2015
I also would love a b/s/t here. as i have extra herder to find characters and am looking to find a few others. I am not willing to pay CRAZY prices. Tried other forums but not a huge fan of them. Really love this one. If we had a b/s/t i would never go anywhere else. It would also be great for people that have a hard time getting landers in there area and others that have a ton of them.
---
I have an unopened molten hot dog,s2 Bash,QDRS,HFR and flocked STTh . Looking for granite crusher,polar whirlwind,volcanic vault and other rares.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#9 Posted: 14:57:51 05/02/2015
This gets posted this every time and is forgotten the simple fact that even though it would be a hard push to hold dark responsible, THAT DOESN'T MEAN PEOPLE WILL NOT TRY. Parents get mad their kid gets taken advantage of, and go after the site when they cannot get restitution. There are a bunch of kids that post here regularly. Pulling transactions out of the shadows simply gives the appearance of them being blessed by the host. It is a potential headache, and one that is best answered with "We don't allow buying/selling/trading." and moderation of posts that attempt it. If the trades/sales aren't happening, the headaches don't happen - unless you count the posts every couple of months from someone whining about wanting it.

Having "actual case law" protects you if it were brought to trial (lawyers to protect against frivolous lawsuits aren't free, you know) but it doesn't protect you from having to deal with the headache. Oh, and the "actual case law" being referred to is US law, you get into entirely different waters when you deal with international law, and we have many international posters.

I doubt dark makes much of anything beyond the costs of keeping the forum up for running this as the paid ads probably just cover the hosting costs. It is a fan site and if I were him I would have exactly the same rules. This is a hobby for him, you know - fun. The moment it becomes a hassle, he probably chooses to shut it down. Then we all lose.

There are plenty of other sites that allow transactions, and they can handle it. Sites like cheapassgamer allow it and have built in feedback, this site does not have anything like that. Should dark pay for the additional software out of his own pocket to handle these things? Because without them it becomes a wild west. It also would require more significant monitoring, volunteers and time.

You want to buy/sell/trade on forums, create your own site and pay for the hosting and deal with the headaches that arise. Stop asking someone else to take the additional effort and responsibility that he clearly does not want to take.
#10 Posted: 15:54:43 05/02/2015
Quote: defpally
THAT DOESN'T MEAN PEOPLE WILL NOT TRY. Parents get mad their kid gets taken advantage of, and go after the site when they cannot get restitution.

People can *try* now. They'll have the exact same outcome either way. And that outcome is that you're very unlikely to even find a laywer willing to take such a case - and if you have the cash for it, getting screwed out of a little toy probably isn't something you're too concerned about.

However, I'd like to point out that I wholy agree with defpally here - it's dark's site and he says "no", so the answer is no. Why the answer is "no", I don't believe dark has ever came right out and said - which is why when people post misinformation about "the law", I do feel the need to speak up. Just because some folks don't have a clue how the law works, it doesn't mean their lack of understanding should be given as if it has any bearing on dark's decision.

To answer the OP's question - no B/S/T because dark says no. It's that simple. Want one? Ask him. He'll probably say no though.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:21:32 05/02/2015 by UncleBob
#11 Posted: 16:15:58 05/02/2015
Quote: UncleBob
Quote: defpally
THAT DOESN'T MEAN PEOPLE WILL NOT TRY. Parents get mad their kid gets taken advantage of, and go after the site when they cannot get restitution.

People can *try* now. They'll have the exact same outcome either way.

Outcome is not the problem.
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#12 Posted: 16:20:54 05/02/2015
I post on another site where people buy/sell/trade video games. At various times in that community, people have been scammed out of thousands of dollars. The site had to implement all sorts of things to combat this. From making rules limiting who can post in the trade forums, to having a feedback and seller rating system similar to what eBay has.
#13 Posted: 19:21:22 05/02/2015
Quote: UncleBob
However, I'd like to point out that I wholy agree with defpally here - it's dark's site and he says "no", so the answer is no. Why the answer is "no", I don't believe dark has ever came right out and said - which is why when people post misinformation about "the law", I do feel the need to speak up. Just because some folks don't have a clue how the law works, it doesn't mean their lack of understanding should be given as if it has any bearing on dark's decision.

And likewise, I wholly agree with your view on the law - it would never stick in a US court. It isn't misinformation, I never said that is exactly his reason (he hasn't said why), just that it could be part of it. People just suppose that might have something to do with it. Simply not wanting to deal with the issue at all of disgruntled traders and/or their parents - or their potential empty legal threats. I think wanting to avoid headaches would be a pretty significant motive.

Maybe he doesn't explain his motive because he doesn't feel like having a bunch of Internet wannabe lawyers giving him advice.
#14 Posted: 20:34:39 05/02/2015
To say it has any bearing on if this forum has B/S/T *is* misinformation though (unless dark has come out and said it and we're both unaware of it).

It's like saying "Chthulu the demon-god could possibly get upset that we started allowing B/S/T, so we don't just to avoid that potential hassle."

Any implications that dark doesn't allow it due to potential legal issues is implying that dark is stupid. Any implications that dark doesn't allow it due to potential empty threats implies that he's a coward.

Why not just simplify things? "We don't have it because dark doesn't want it. For more information, ask dark, as he is the only one who can explain why not or change the current policy." It leaves out any misinformation, speculation or implications, while pointing the user to the only channel that can properly address the request.
#15 Posted: 21:01:20 05/02/2015
Huge leaps in logic. Estimating potential legal issues/disagreements might be related to it is calling him "stupid" and a "coward"? Really? I'll just let that one soak in a bit. That is not a reasonable assessment. And your leap from "people could get mad their kid gets scammed" to "Cthulu could get upset" is absurd. If these analogies are reasonable to you, then well ... hmmm.

If estimating that it is related is "misinformation", then so is insisting it isn't. By that definition, the only thing that isn't "misinformation" lacking an official word from him is simply saying nothing. However, the OP wanted some reasons why it isn't "logical" and that was provided, and since it is a discussion forum that is a reasonable thing to do.
OnionCakes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1810
#16 Posted: 21:42:45 05/02/2015
This is the second website I visit, i'm on very few.

Getting scammed happens yes, but there's TONS of ways to help people. Having a trade/sell system, a feedback system and all kinds of things can help this. I'm on a Disney pin trading site where we trade pins online, all the time, all day and night across the ENTIRE WORLD. And MANY of these pins can be worth 100's if not 1000's of dollars.

Do people get scammed? Yes, once in a while. And what happens? People come to help, that people who scammed can no longer trade, get bad ratings and everyone now knows about it.
---
Check out my boyfriends Skylander ARTWORK
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=108425
http://jacob-a-sweet.tumblr.com/
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#17 Posted: 02:48:01 06/02/2015
Quote: OnionCakes
This is the second website I visit, i'm on very few.

Getting scammed happens yes, but there's TONS of ways to help people. Having a trade/sell system, a feedback system and all kinds of things can help this. I'm on a Disney pin trading site where we trade pins online, all the time, all day and night across the ENTIRE WORLD. And MANY of these pins can be worth 100's if not 1000's of dollars.

Do people get scammed? Yes, once in a while. And what happens? People come to help, that people who scammed can no longer trade, get bad ratings and everyone now knows about it.

Right, I don't think anyone disagrees that this can be something that can work for a website that's committed to it. It's just that there are cons to this sort of thing, especially for the people who run the site. I don't know which specific reason the administrators here have for not doing it - plenty of good possibilities laid out already in this thread - but consider that this site has existed since 2004. It was created as a fan site for Spyro games. From 2004-2011, there was little reason for anyone to ever want to trade anything here. From that point of view it's even easier to see how Dark might not be very enthusiastic about the idea. Spyro got tied into Skylanders, but this is technically still a Spyro fan site.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:48:56 06/02/2015 by Friendzie
Plaag Emerald Sparx Gems: 4339
#18 Posted: 14:46:07 06/02/2015
As one who trades on here with the Skylander Topps cards, I can say those I've dealt with through the years have come through. I've even done other buy/selling on other forums - all of which have their rules in place for doing so. Not one of them can stop scamming/fraud other then banning.
I would say try talking to Dark via PM about this issue.

ShaneG.
TTD Hunter Gems: 6169
#19 Posted: 22:02:43 12/02/2015
I believe the main reason would be scams, say if someone sends their half of the trade but doesn't receive anything back. Of course, most people on here aren't like that but there are a select few that would bring the whole community down.
spoons10696 Gold Sparx Gems: 2525
#20 Posted: 16:44:49 13/02/2015
Exactly!, I have a spare Clear Tuff Luck that somebody offered a trade for. Unfortunately I just don't feel confident enough sending expensive figures through the mail to someone I don't know hoping that I receive an item in return. I would much rather do a face to face trade or sell.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:45:14 13/02/2015 by spoons10696
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#21 Posted: 17:54:33 13/02/2015
Remember the UFO hat tour last year. That ended really badly.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me