Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
An idea for future members [CLOSED]
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#1 Posted: 16:34:36 01/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Many forums that have a PM system have a function to where new users get a PM from a bot that explains the rules. I was wondering if this is possible. It could be like

Welcome aboard _______________
*rules*
Follow these rules and you'll do fine!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:08:08 01/02/2015 by somePerson
Windbringer Ripto Gems: 10
#2 Posted: 18:20:46 01/02/2015
Quote: somePerson
Many forums that have a PM system have a function to where new users get a PM from a bot that explains the rules. I was wondering if this is possible.

The rules are already written on a specific page. Maybe a welcome message containing a link to the rules would make the most sense, but you get a page with a link to the rules as soon as you successfully sign up, anyway.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#3 Posted: 19:04:50 01/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Windbringer
Quote: somePerson
Many forums that have a PM system have a function to where new users get a PM from a bot that explains the rules. I was wondering if this is possible.

The rules are already written on a specific page. Maybe a welcome message containing a link to the rules would make the most sense, but you get a page with a link to the rules as soon as you successfully sign up, anyway.

Like new users will read that specific page that is hidden I'm the corner. It doesn't pop out like a "1 New Messages" that appears under your name.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#4 Posted: 19:30:15 01/02/2015
The main issue you run into is that folks just don't read the rules, period. Even if you made them click an "I agree to these rules" box when they register. They're just not going to read them.
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#5 Posted: 20:17:40 01/02/2015
I agree with UB.Despite all Dark's efforts user's are not gonna read the rules unless they want to.I mean when I first joined I did not read the rules till I was a month in.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#6 Posted: 01:09:40 02/02/2015
Quote: UncleBob
The main issue you run into is that folks just don't read the rules, period. Even if you made them click an "I agree to these rules" box when they register. They're just not going to read them.

Perhaps the vast majority will do that, but there's still a small portion that will read them if "forced to". It all comes down to the user.
That's why I think this idea isn't bad at all. It really won't hurt to be implemented, and it would help, even if it doesn't pay of as well as you expect.

Oh, and let me just state that I did read them when I first registered ;)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:11:15 02/02/2015 by DummyZ
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#7 Posted: 01:35:59 02/02/2015
I'm not saying it's a horrible idea - I'm just saying I don't think it will yield the desired results.

The type of folks who are likely to read through the rules are the types of folks that either A.) Are unlikely to be much trouble regardless or B.) Are the type who is likely to be looking for loopholes to exploit.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me