Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
A new kind of a forum game. [CLOSED]
Samius Hunter Gems: 9303
#1 Posted: 17:50:28 10/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Okay, so about a month ago I saw a topic where someone was complaining about the fact that all forum games today absolutely suck. Well, I've been working on a new one (yes, actually putting effort into it's creation) for a while now, and I just wanted to make this topic before I'm ready to post it to see what people think about the idea, and what kind of additions they would enjoy.

The game is basically a Legend of Spyro-themed kingdom building game, where the users who are playing represent a single dragon in the council that rules the kingdom. The ideas that I'm working on have been very strongly influenced by a couple of video games, most notably Civilization, Dwarf Fortress, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Utopia MMO.
The game also has a backstory that you can take a look at on the topic were I discussed it (Here: //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=111529).

However, even with it's storyline and "characters" the game I'm working on is not a forum RPG. You don't have to commit to the topic, it's just like any other game where you can simply post and forget about it, though it would be adviced to at least get a hang of the flow of the game before posting.

So, here's a quick summary of what it's like (this is the simple stuff that you need to know. There are also more sophisticated rules and workings underneath the surface but I will take care of those as the game master).

- Turn-based actions with kingdom status reports for each turn..
- Gathering resources to build/sustain your kingdom.
- Drafting military, troop allocation and the related logistics. Military forces move around the map in bands/units/armies with detailed stats.
- Diplomacy, economy and "realistic" NPC interaction (your people/other nations will behave as normal people do. You can not control them directly).
- Magic and powerful spells that require players to pool together with their decisions.
- Politics between players (decisions that contradict each other will be voted on).

So, is there anything you'd like to add/remove? Give me ideas that would make this game more enjoyable to you.
I want to make this a community thing, because I've always thought that the community here is fantastic. The Spyro theme should take some of you back to your roots, and it also goes with the original purpose if this forum (to be a Spyro fan forum).
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:41:56 10/01/2015 by Samius
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#2 Posted: 18:27:50 10/01/2015
bump in case someones interested
#3 Posted: 18:33:19 10/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that there will be a few people who will be interested, but I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble of keeping the game topic updated if it the idea doesn't take much wind in it's sails.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#4 Posted: 21:41:01 10/01/2015
Interesting
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#5 Posted: 21:52:19 10/01/2015
Sign me up! :D
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#6 Posted: 22:33:22 10/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: SPARXisAWESOME
Cool. I read the first post about it a while ago, but didn't bother bumping that thread. Sounds like something that could be fun with lots of people contributing to the game!

That's the idea. Can you imagine what it would be like with even 10 active players? I could become a big thing, like Spyrobaro's project.
Adria Emerald Sparx Gems: 4196
#7 Posted: 22:41:55 10/01/2015
It's very interesting. I wouldn't mind playing it though, I do worry over how it's written vs how it's played. If that makes sense, aha. unu;;

Edit:
I do have a question after pondering for a bit. Do you believe this would be a rather fast paced game or would it ultimately depend on each individual player?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:47:41 10/01/2015 by Adria
#8 Posted: 23:02:11 10/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Adria
It's very interesting. I wouldn't mind playing it though, I do worry over how it's written vs how it's played. If that makes sense, aha. unu;;

Edit:
I do have a question after pondering for a bit. Do you believe this would be a rather fast paced game or would it ultimately depend on each individual player?

I get that. A lot of things can happen because the users are behind the wheels. Obviously I'll just ignore really idiotic suggestions/trolls to stop the game from turning into a joke. Also, it will depends on my activity level how often the game is updated, but I will do my best, especially if a lot of people are playing.

In theory you just have to read what's going on from the last turn report, look through the latest suggestions made by other players and then make your own. The turn ends when the users agree that it ends, enough time has passed, or all available forces/workers have been allocated.
When things get more complicated we might have to settle stuff with votes etc. Also, the people you control in the game will have their own mind as well, so the users may need to deal with them if they decide to form rebellions or trading guilds that take power away from the Dragon Council (the users). That could make things more complicated, but as those kind of things depend on me as well, I will judge when something like that is too much and when it's not.

Initially the game will probably be very fast, because the players haven't yet managed to build anything complicated. The first few turns you will not have many troops/workers to allocate, and you have no automatized systems set up (like economy). The only things you will need to take care of at first are the basic stuff, food, people, soldiers, buildings, stuff like that. A turn might pass in a day or two, or maybe in the first evening. It will also depend heavily on how many users are playing actively.
You will not need to keep eyeing the topic all the time, because anybody can come in and post. So it's not like an RP which gets absolutely destroyed when one dude forgets that he was in it and his character freezes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:04:16 10/01/2015 by Samius
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#9 Posted: 23:57:25 10/01/2015
Sounds interesting, and I like how it's Spyro themed :3
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#10 Posted: 00:07:52 11/01/2015
I'd love to be in this!
#11 Posted: 00:15:51 11/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Ok, it's great to hear that people are interested!

I still need to write some rules down, figure out some new rules, and draw some sketches to make the topic look more interesting. It will probably be a few weeks still because I'm pretty busy with IRL stuff too, but when it happens I will bump this topic and let you guys know.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me