Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Skylanders: A breakdown!
Page 1 of 1
Skylanders: A breakdown! [CLOSED]
JayjeA Blue Sparx Gems: 636
#1 Posted: 06:06:45 30/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Hi, I'm Jayje and I'm a newcomer to these forums, though I have visited the website a lot since last year (Swap Force). During that time, I've played with LOTS of Skylanders and have come to a conclusion as to how they're built! by that I mat, there ability upgrade sets/paths.
From what I've noticed, all Skylanders can be grouped into one or more of three groups or "families", if you will. Keep in mind this is my outlook and not a hard and fast rule.

The three groups are:

BRAWLERS
BLASTERS
BEATERS

I'll explain what I mean in each group and give examples to illustrate.

BRAWLERS

Brawlers are basically melee fighters. They specialize in up close damage, heavy damage, in most cases. They don't have much to offer in long distance attacks and are usually high in defense (since they have to gt close to attack). I've noticed Earth, Life and Undead have many Skylanders in this group
Some classic examples would be Stealth Elf and Terrafin. Others include Doom Stone, Fryno and Wildfire.

BLASTERS

Blasters ar masters of the long ranged attacks. They have good to excellent speed and have good attack. Defense isn't their strong suit, so they have to make sure to keep a comfortable space cushion between them and their targets (OBVIOUSLY, you're thinking, right?) Fire, Water and Air have a good assortment of Blasters to choose from. Older players may think of Jet Vac, or Hex. Newer players might be familiar with Gusto, Punk Shot and Food Fight.

BEATERS

These guys are a so-so mix of the first two, without a real proficiency in either close or ranged attacks. Where they REALLY excel at is using either AOE or "GIMMICKS" to 'beat' their foes (hence the term BEATER). AOE (area of effect) abilities can have that can hit more than one foe or have a lasting a effect , like stun of poison. Gimmicks can be like confusing the enemy to attack their allies or creating traps. Magic and Tech elements are rife with these. Pop Fizz, Sprocket, Double Trouble, Chill, Gear Shift or Stink Bomb fit this bill nicely!

Again, this is just my observation about Skylanders. Maybe I over thought it, but hey it was fun posting this. feel free to offer your thoughts. I'd love to read them.
---
I'm a recent convert to Skylandering and I LOVE it! I'm doing a SUPERCHARGERS LP! I also do UnBoxing videos!
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#2 Posted: 16:57:59 30/12/2014
Congrats, you just discovered Action/Fighting Game Mechanics 101.
The actual terms people use is Rushdown or Close Range, Ranged or Long Range, and Mixed or Glass Cannon.
That is, if you really think characters only have three categories.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#3 Posted: 00:46:46 31/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Interesting I never even thought of it that way! I just started noticing that there were certain "trends" in upgrades and took it as that. Thanks for the reply!
---
I'm a recent convert to Skylandering and I LOVE it! I'm doing a SUPERCHARGERS LP! I also do UnBoxing videos!
#4 Posted: 05:30:48 01/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Question? Which Skylanders do you think fit inside these categories or what Categories would you make and which Skylanders would fit the description?
---
#5 Posted: 06:45:10 11/01/2015 | Topic Creator
So does Anybody have a list of what they think are Skylanders that fit these descriptions?
---
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#6 Posted: 12:44:44 11/01/2015
I don't think there are much people who are game mechanic savvy around here; I know them but never really analyzed them. You'll have to use something as reference and watch the gameplay of each character to judge it for yourself - heck, even for indifidual paths - Tree Rex can be both Mighty Glacier or Long Range if you use the definitions I mentioned from TV Tropes depending on which path he has.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#7 Posted: 03:04:24 12/01/2015 | Topic Creator
i see... Guess this was a bit much for regular game play. But anyways, you do have a point in regards with Tree Rex. He's a a Brawler/Blaster combo. Another one I'd to add could be Eye Brawl.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me