Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > I'm Outgrowing Skylanders...
Page 1 of 1
I'm Outgrowing Skylanders... [CLOSED]
Fossildude747 Red Sparx Gems: 60
#1 Posted: 21:54:32 20/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Guys, I think trap team could be my last game sadly. I feel like I am outgrowing the series, the characters look really goofy and wierd, i think the skylanders look great, but the characters in game look goofy. The gameplay is way too simple, and there's nothing for older fans really. I love pokemon, because there's a competitive side for older players like me, but skylanders offers nothing for adults or teens.

It's sad, because the thing is, I DON'T want to outgrow the franchise! I still want to love it, but now it just seems way too... kiddy I guess? I seriously don't know how to love it again, trap team looks interesting, but I'm not going to try that many figures for it, since in another year or so, I'll probably have outgrown it. I don't know what to do, unless the 5th one introduces some things for older characters, I might might end up outgrowing the whole series, which I don't want to, I love the skylanders designs and such, but the game itself is growing stale.
---
Hey there! Feel free to pm me if you wanna chat!

Keep in mind I have never played any of the original spyro games and probably never will.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#2 Posted: 22:17:02 20/12/2014
hang in there, you dont know how the skylanders5 will be. but vv is fantastic game developers, and i think their skylanders game are a little bit more mature than what tfb make. so dont give up yet....
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#3 Posted: 22:52:30 20/12/2014 | Topic Creator
You have a point, while i doubt they'll change skylanders into a really mature franchise (which would make many younger kids mad that they can't play the next skylanders game because it's too violent) all I am asking for is some stuff for older fans, which i believe they are probably slowly moving towards. I'm not saying that skylanders needs to turn into a bloody, violent series with bad language or anything (which to be honest, is that really making a game more mature? No not really) but like i said, some stuff for older fans too.

My best example of what i want out of the games is pokemon. Pokemon is completely kid friendly, and i like kid friendly games. Anyways, it's completely kid friendly, but has many older fans do to it's strategic and optional competitive side. Developing strategies, making the best use of the pokemon and breeding for perfect pokemon is something a younger fan wouldn't understand, but an older fan will. It's this hidden depth that keeps older fans interested, and the fact that it's optional also let's younger fans have fun without having to do this.

So basically, skylanders should maybe have an online competitive scene, not like pokemon but still have a few other things besides just hats and skill to make the difference.
---

Keep in mind I have never played any of the original spyro games and probably never will.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:57:42 20/12/2014 by Fossildude747
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#4 Posted: 23:40:38 20/12/2014
Even if they do add online, it might not be very active, at least not on the competitive side. There are a lot of games- some of which were designed with competitive play in mind- that have an online mode suited to it, but still lack a competitive scene. I think the online wouldn't be that active, peter out fairly quickly and that serious competitive players would be small in numbers. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but we didn't even finish a PVP tier list for SWAP Force, and an overwhelming majority of the fanbase seems to be composed of young players that probably wouldn't care about competitive (outside of picking the character consesus dubs as highest on the tier list, or someone close to the top).
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:42:09 20/12/2014 by Arc of Archives
#5 Posted: 23:49:50 20/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Arc of Archives
Even if they do add online, it might not be very active, at least not on the competitive side. There are a lot of games- some of which were designed with competitive play in mind- that have an online mode suited to it, but still lack a competitive scene. I think the online wouldn't be that active, peter out fairly quickly and that serious competitive players would be small in numbers. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but we didn't even finish a PVP tier list for SWAP Force, and an overwhelming majority of the fanbase seems to be composed of young players that probably wouldn't care about competitive (outside of picking the character consesus dubs as highest on the tier list, or someone close to the top).

You make a fair point, but hopefully eventually the competitive players would grow on skylander forums like these maybe. I never knew about the PVP tier list in swap force you guys were making, making some tier lists could be fun, i mean even if there was an online mode without any competitive in mind, we could probably get some competitive players together too make their own metagame like smogon did with pokemon. Develop tiers and all that, chances would be slim but i'm very hopeful that this will happen.
---

#6 Posted: 00:09:45 21/12/2014
i think you should think more diablo than pokemon.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#7 Posted: 00:11:35 21/12/2014 | Topic Creator
No idea what diablo is, pokemon is the only competitive game i know tbh lol, so just using that as an example. Pretty sure tiers are in other competitive games besides pokemon right?

EDIT: Just looked up diablo, no wonder i don't know about it, i am much more of a fan of kid friendly games than M rated games. Plus the highest rating I'm allowed to play atm is T :/
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:14:01 21/12/2014 by Fossildude747
#8 Posted: 00:18:57 21/12/2014
Quote: Fossildude747
No idea what diablo is, pokemon is the only competitive game i know tbh lol, so just using that as an example. Pretty sure tiers are in other competitive games besides pokemon right?

EDIT: Just looked up diablo, no wonder i don't know about it, i am much more of a fan of kid friendly games than M rated games. Plus the highest rating I'm allowed to play atm is T :/

its a dungeon rpg hack and slash game.... ssa was compared to it with its dungeon levels, light rpg elements and hack and whack button smashing.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#9 Posted: 00:24:38 21/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CountMoneyBone
Quote: Fossildude747

its a dungeon rpg hack and slash game.... ssa was compared to it with its dungeon levels, light rpg elements and hack and whack button smashing.

Oh ok, either way i think skylanders needs a competitive system. Tiers would be cool too, so even though I'm sure diablo is more comparable to it, I'm not saying skylanders should be like pokemon, I'm just saying pokemon has a nice competitive system for older players, and several fan made meta games so i think skylanders should as well.
---

Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#10 Posted: 02:41:55 21/12/2014
You don't 'outgrow' a franchise, that implies that it's the thing adults do to be more mature. You just grow tired of it, and that's normal for every fandom ever.
If you don't feel it's time yet, it's actually time to give it a break. Go for other games, follow other hypes,then when you have some time come back to one of the games you have for the fun of it. It's tiring to follow a franchise so closely for so many years,specially when it stops going with your expectations.
If you really can't look over any of its faults anymore and remembering it just feels frustrating, then maybe it's because it's no longer your cup of tea. You can still give it a chance in the future, but once again, giving attention to other games and franchises is a good idea - maybe even go after something new.
And by that I don't mean go after DI like the fandom wars dictate. I mean, go after another 3D plataformers, even really old ones; or hack-and-slash of your age, or the LEGO games. Or even entirely new things. You might find out that you miss Skylanders, or that something else gives more than it ever could.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#11 Posted: 02:47:43 21/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
You don't 'outgrow' a franchise, that implies that it's the thing adults do to be more mature. You just grow tired of it, and that's normal for every fandom ever.
If you don't feel it's time yet, it's actually time to give it a break. Go for other games, follow other hypes,then when you have some time come back to one of the games you have for the fun of it. It's tiring to follow a franchise so closely for so many years,specially when it stops going with your expectations.
If you really can't look over any of its faults anymore and remembering it just feels frustrating, then maybe it's because it's no longer your cup of tea. You can still give it a chance in the future, but once again, giving attention to other games and franchises is a good idea - maybe even go after something new.
And by that I don't mean go after DI like the fandom wars dictate. I mean, go after another 3D plataformers, even really old ones; or hack-and-slash of your age, or the LEGO games. Or even entirely new things. You might find out that you miss Skylanders, or that something else gives more than it ever could.

Well, actually I just got back from neglecting it for 2 years. I'm actually really liking it now, and plan to get serious about collecting in trap team, that's what made me like spyro's adventure more than the other games, because i stuck by it and tried to collect them all even after i beat it, unlike in giants and swap force when i forgot about it when i beat it, so collection time here i come! I think i love it more for the collecting than the game and trying out new skylanders.
---

Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#12 Posted: 17:04:00 21/12/2014
Well, if you still want to stay around, then you can slow down instead. There's not enough kiddy/goofy in the game as you say in the OP(the design is miles better than MANY adult oriented fantasy games for sure), but maybe if you feel like the franchise lacks a lot in expectations, try not following as many news before release of SKL5 except the online part you said you wanted. Again, following a franchise closely can be tiring when things like no PVP or nerfed story scrolls show up just as you think it's going to be the game you were waiting for. Better come in with less of a medium in expectations than have them too high or too low.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
S P Y R O Blue Sparx Gems: 953
#13 Posted: 09:42:04 04/01/2015
I gave up halfway through swap force. I found it way to repetitive and, yes, a bit childish. The first game was fun because it was something new and interesting, while a sequel was amusing. But now, there are too many characters to account for...
That's my opinion, anyway.
---
Spyro is cool, Spyro is cool. Anyone doesn't think Spyro's cool, must be a banana. smilie smilie
Snake Eyes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1730
#14 Posted: 01:16:56 17/01/2015
I grew tired of Skylanders after around the middle of the second game. I never finished it and my skylanders are just kinda sitting in a box.
JayjeA Blue Sparx Gems: 636
#15 Posted: 05:18:26 17/01/2015
I think that once Skylanders gets an online/PvP feature, it'll be fine. Most folks will love being able to fight friends with their favorite plastic figurines!

I know I will!smilie
---
I'm a recent convert to Skylandering and I LOVE it! I'm doing a SUPERCHARGERS LP! I also do UnBoxing videos!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me