Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Not Your Typical Sky-fan-der...
Page 1 of 1
Not Your Typical Sky-fan-der... [CLOSED]
INTIMIDAT3R Blue Sparx Gems: 857
#1 Posted: 08:36:48 09/12/2014 | Topic Creator
This is my Skylander story...

I'm 46, a Disabled Veteran, a life-long video game junkie since Pong!, and happily married.

Definitely not your typical gamer or Sky-fan-der.

My obsession with Skylanders started back with Spyro's Adventures. My buddy, who is manager at one of my local GameStops, and I were discussing it when it first came out. We both agreed it was going to be HUGE. It was so huge in fact, retailers everywhere marked the original $6.99 price of each figure up to $9.99 by Thanksgiving that year.

A few weeks after its launch, my loving wife was in GameStop with me and I was telling her about it and how cool I thought it was, BUT I wasn't going to dump $75 into the starter kit.

Little to my knowledge, she went back later and bought it for me for our anniversary. Little did she realize the monster she had just awakened. LOL

Since that fatal day, every road trip, vacation, grocery run, etc now includes stops at every Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, and Toys R Us on the way just to check for figures I hadn't found yet. My buddy at GameStop usually gives me a heads-up when he's expecting new shipments too.

We moved to our new condo back in October and now we live just 2 blocks from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, TRU, GameStop, and Target so it's even easier to stop and check.

My loving wife just rolls her eyes when I want to look around or find one or several I didn't/don't have yet. She knows it's all her fault. She's actually went out on her own and found several for me too. LOL

My most prized Skylander was a gold Flameslinger I found in Target after work one morning in a triple pack. Like a dumb-a**, I put it on eBay hoping to make a $10-20 profit not realizing exactly what I had and how rare it actually was. I got $35 for the triple pack. I'd give my left leg to have it back.

I actually scored a stone Whirlwind in a triple pack the following year. I still have that one and it would take a lot for me to part with it. I'm open to trades or offers.

I've scored free Skylanders from every Frito Lay contest except the first one when they had the flocked Stump Smash. In fact, just about an hour ago, I called the Frito Lay Skylander contest line and scored a High Five. I almost bought one a few minutes before that on eBay for $30, but figured I'd give the contest one more try.

My favorite Skylander is Trigger Happy. I even named my 3rd Camaro after him. The first hat I ever found was the sherrif's hat and all of my Trigger Happy's have worn It since.

Stealth Elf is my second favorite Skylander. She reminds me of Wolverine on steroids with her double bladed knives and phantom blades.

All told, I have over 300 Skylanders in my growing collection. I wish I had a display case for all of them.

So what's your story?
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10050
#2 Posted: 10:24:10 09/12/2014
Whatever mine is, this thread is better off in Skylanders Toys and Merch than here. It pretty much became the general Skylanders discussion area, but here in General only a very small number of people actually play skylanders. You'd get a bunch of 'oh I never played or played only SSA but your story is nice' and not a whole lot of sharing stories.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#3 Posted: 06:21:20 10/12/2014
This was heart warming. Thank you (:
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
#4 Posted: 21:08:39 10/12/2014
good story
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3511
#5 Posted: 20:16:20 11/12/2014
My story: I saw an ad for SSA way back in 2011 and thought, "Hm. Looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it'll really take off. Wait... is that... WHAT DID THEY DO TO SPYRO?!" I continued to follow the series, despite Spyro's ugly redesign, but didn't really get interested until Giants. This sequel made me think that this series is going to get huge, and the toys-to-life concept was genius! I jumped on the bandwagon right around December 2012, and almost decided it was my last Skylanders game until I discovered Swap Force. The rest is history. I love Skylanders because hunting for all the figures is half the fun for me, and each time I get a new (or rare) one it only motivates me to go further and find some of the super rare ones. In a way, I uess you could say I'm like smilie: SKYLANDERS... I MUST HAVE MORE SKYLANDERS!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me