Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Anyone use GreaseMonkey? [CLOSED]
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 22:43:31 24/10/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm wondering - does anyone here have much background working with GreaseMonkey?

I'm looking at taking my own advice and avoiding that which makes me unhappy. Since we don't have any kind of real block/ignore feature here, I thought I'd use GreaseMonkey to create a script that allows individual users to block/ignore posts automatically - as if they're never there.

I know folks have used this on other forums - but with dS being a totally custom job, a custom solution will be required to make this work here.

Any help anyone can give with this would be awesome. smilie

*edit*
Very buggy still, but if I can get it hammered out...
[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:32:10 25/10/2014 by UncleBob
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#2 Posted: 06:39:58 25/10/2014
I personally don't think anyone should use it.

I mean so far it sounds like a proxy, considered illegal on certain sites. And knowing Dark's automatic ripto things, coding a site to fit your preferences is the same as hacking which is a ban.

Also there is a few other ways to avoiding things,

Never start fights with baits and attitudes.

And do not continue to post about things (with such a attitude) and walk away. Which are simple things.

Honestly everyone has the right to post, and all should be viewed to everyone.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#3 Posted: 07:19:06 25/10/2014
^ greasemonkey isn't a proxy , besides there's nothing wrong with using a proxy anyway since most of us proxy***s use them for privacy reasons
also changing a site to fit your preference using a script is really not hacking at all, adblock would be hacking if that was the case
however
a script like this isn't really advisable since topics can get incredibly confusing, which is why a lot of forums don't offer this as a feature anyway, but eh, we can't control what you do
#4 Posted: 07:30:35 25/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Heh. Yeah, GreaseMonkey isn't a proxy at all. It's not even close. If someone thinks that, then, well, that can't be helped.

You could liken it to adblock - but I prefer to think of it on an even simpler level - you're changing the page as it's loaded into your browser. It's no different than if you have your browser set to display larger fonts or to not load images. It doesn't change how anyone but the end user views the site.

I'd prefer if the site had an ignore feature like the vast majority of others where it shows you someone posted and gives you the option to click to view their posts, but it's not worth my effort to create that, since I'm really just making this for myself to block four or so people and I really have zero intention on reading one of their posts again.

*edit* Still needs a lot of work, but this is nice too
[User Posted Image]

Of course, when someone actually makes an account called "undefined", it could get confusing. :D :D :D
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 08:14:48 25/10/2014 by UncleBob
#5 Posted: 08:19:18 25/10/2014
I didn't say it was a proxy, it said it sounds like a proxy. I just know that assholes use proxies to get back into websites. I did not know that people use them for privacy.

And I see from Arceus's post. Of what she meant.

But you know, I think this can benefit both sides here. Because if you block us, then you'd basically stay out of the topics we make, because you won't be able to see them. But of course we can still your posts, since we do not know how to script and or code.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#6 Posted: 19:05:35 25/10/2014 | Topic Creator
It'd be nice if it were just built into the forum, but yeah, I'll take what I can get.

It's to the point where some folks can't be reasonable and they've got a mod on their side who can silence me whenever he wants to (while ignoring anyone elses' rule breaking) - so my only option is to ignore them. It's totally worth it - as I've said before, why hang around something that makes you so unhappy?

Why allow folks who annoy me so much to be on my computer screen? It's just not worth it to me.
#7 Posted: 19:12:07 25/10/2014
Then you should have taken your own advice and left the site, like you said to us?
---
icon from Empoh
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#8 Posted: 19:13:34 25/10/2014
Quote: UncleBob
It'd be nice if it were just built into the forum, but yeah, I'll take what I can get.

It's to the point where some folks can't be reasonable and they've got a mod on their side who can silence me whenever he wants to (while ignoring anyone elses' rule breaking) - so my only option is to ignore them. It's totally worth it - as I've said before, why hang around something that makes you so unhappy?

Why allow folks who annoy me so much to be on my computer screen? It's just not worth it to me.

Perhaps if you weren't so jerkish, maybe we wouldn't be lashing out at you. You constantly annoy us with your big ego and topic derailments, that it's not even funny.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#9 Posted: 19:15:32 25/10/2014

Now now, let's tone down the victim complex. If someone makes you mad you ignore them, regardless of the fact they're nearby or not. That's a thing people do in real life, it's even easier in the internet where you can just not read the thing. I don't like seeing your username in a thread, but does it ruin my day that a person I don't like is around? Never, it'd be taking the internet too seriously.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#10 Posted: 19:17:09 25/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Still sounds like you're overreacting a bit to me, but okay.

Also, I'm sure plenty of people find you just as unreasonable as you find them. ;) (if not more so, in fact lol)

Possibly - but the largest different is that I argue with what people are saying. Others try to attack me personally. I've received harassing e-mails, I've had stuff attacking me on multiple other sites... it's just worth it. Thus, /ignore. :D
#11 Posted: 19:21:04 25/10/2014
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Still sounds like you're overreacting a bit to me, but okay.

Also, I'm sure plenty of people find you just as unreasonable as you find them. smilie (if not more so, in fact lol)

Possibly - but the largest different is that I argue with what people are saying. Others try to attack me personally. I've received harassing e-mails, I've had stuff attacking me on multiple other sites... it's just worth it. Thus, /ignore. smilie

You must be a very sensitive man if you're allowing the opinions of users get to you, even if those opinions are true.

If you are indeed blocking people, and perhaps including the mod of this section, it can get you into trouble.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:25:52 25/10/2014 by Aura24
#12 Posted: 19:28:43 25/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Hm. I wonder if there's a way to make it so that if an undefined individual is the only new reply to a post, it doesn't show there's new replies.

That's probably pretty far beyond what the GreaseMonkey can do though, since that's more of a server-level thing.
#13 Posted: 19:31:33 25/10/2014
Hm. I wonder if there's a way to make it so that if an undefined individual is the only new reply to a post, it doesn't show there's new replies.

That's probably pretty far beyond what the GreaseMonkey can do though, since that's more of a server-level thing.

Well aren't you enjoying your blocking of users and moderators.
---
#14 Posted: 19:34:48 25/10/2014
If someone is sending you harassment e-mails and offsite attacks, that stuff is serious. Even if you decided to be the next Kappa nothing warrants that. Though hard to tell what could actually be done about it, there's been this group of offsite harrassment about Neopets on tumblr for a while and it keeps coming back no matter how many times it's banned.

But in DS? Real harassment you report, just getting called out or slightly annoyed by someone else's opinion is not an attack.
---
#15 Posted: 19:36:48 25/10/2014
No point in talking to him, Bifrost, he may have blocked you too. Your entire post would be gone from his side of the computer and he wouldn't even know you posted.
---
#16 Posted: 19:41:40 25/10/2014
Quote: Aura24
No point in talking to him, Bifrost, he may have blocked you too. Your entire post would be gone from his side of the computer and he wouldn't even know you posted.

Well, no one in the other side to say I didn't try to help.

So I guess the answer to the topic is no, no one uses GreaseMonkey but him.
---
#17 Posted: 19:44:46 25/10/2014 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

Does it count as double posting if you just can't see posts in between? :D :D :D

Thankfully, double posting never bothered me much.

Man, there's so many issues to work out with this, but once I do, I hope to be able to share it with the community here. This would make a great feature for the forum to have by default, but should make the experience here more pleasant.

*edit*: dark, If you happen to read this - would you mind if I created a second account *only* for testing and nothing else? I'm curious what happens when an Undefined individual tries to send a PM or such. There also seems to be a lot of issues with nesting of tables that I'd like to get worked out.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:51:47 25/10/2014 by UncleBob
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#18 Posted: 19:54:23 25/10/2014
"Only be one person
The use of multiple guest names and/or registered accounts to pretend to be more than one person is pointless and will likely confuse any other users of the forum. It is also generally frowned upon to have more than one registered account anyway."

From forum rules.

NOPE.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 9966
#19 Posted: 19:55:14 25/10/2014

*edit*: dark, If you happen to read this - would you mind if I created a second account *only* for testing and nothing else? I'm curious what happens when an Undefined individual tries to send a PM or such. There also seems to be a lot of issues with nesting of tables that I'd like to get worked out.

Preeety sure Dark won't let that happen and that point it'd be rule breaking x:
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#20 Posted: 19:58:52 25/10/2014 | Topic Creator
True - which is why I asked before I did anything. Although, as a testing account and nothing more, I don't think it'd be much of a problem. dark has a couple of alt accounts, after all. ;)
#21 Posted: 19:59:46 25/10/2014
It HIS Website. He can do whatever the hell he wants. Not you. Get over it.
---
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13885
#22 Posted: 20:14:41 25/10/2014
It's not really a problem if you're not doing anything nefarious with it. Not that I'm really sure of the point for PMs, surely the default blocking is enough for that?
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
#23 Posted: 20:15:41 25/10/2014
Oh hey I was wrong
Thanks for clearing it up Dark c:
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#24 Posted: 20:16:20 25/10/2014
dark, this could be a snowball effect. He could essentially block anyone he even remotely disagrees with (censoring).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:16:53 25/10/2014 by JCW555
#25 Posted: 20:17:17 25/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Yeah, the PM part of things isn't really an issue. Just more of a curiosity. I like to see what happens in cases like that. It's more of the nesting of tables that I'd like to be able to test out and get all the bugs worked out.

Thanks. -R
#26 Posted: 20:18:41 25/10/2014
Quote: JCW555
dark, this could be a snowball effect. He could essentially block anyone he even remotely disagrees with (censoring).

Well he'll think he's not going to be proven wrong if he says something wrong, but everyone else will see him insisting on things that everyone already knows isn't right and find it pretty silly. It'll backfire on him soon enough.Problem is if everyone starts doing it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:19:14 25/10/2014 by Bifrost
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#27 Posted: 20:18:44 25/10/2014
If I may be honest here...

If you have to go to the lengths of censoring the forum to wipe out all people you disagree with from existence, doesn't that say negative things about you and your inability to simply ignore what those people are saying? You can already block people you don't like. Censoring the forum to your liking is a little overkill, don't you think?
#28 Posted: 20:24:40 25/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
If I may be honest here...

If you have to go to the lengths of censoring the forum to wipe out all people you disagree with from existence, doesn't that say negative things about you and your inability to simply ignore what those people are saying? You can already block people you don't like. Censoring the forum to your liking is a little overkill, don't you think?

Thanks for the reply and the concern.

The thing is, though, I'm not "censoring" anyone. Folks can still post whatever they want. Unlike when a few users got together to get me banned and I was unable to post. I'm not wiping them from existence - merely saying that I don't want to communicate with them anymore. It's like not answering the phone when someone you don't like calls. I'm not obligated to answer the phone, nor am I obligated to read any particular individual's posts. This is merely a way to facilitate it.
#29 Posted: 20:24:56 25/10/2014
I'll look at the Dyno-Mite blocking fiasco. He blocked people based on preferences. Do you think that's bad? Bob's also doing this, although with the premise of thought that don't appear to his liking or whatever complex he has. But W/E.
---
#30 Posted: 20:30:39 25/10/2014
Well the forum will be plenty more empty for him as time goes on and he blocks more people from the sections with less regulars. Then Bob will post in here wondering why and it'll just look hilarious.
---
#31 Posted: 20:35:46 25/10/2014
It's already strating drama (basing this on this thread and the threads I've closed in SH&S). Dyno-Mite was an original user, that had an alt of Judge Judy. Anyway, w/e. I'm not arguing about this anymore. Wasting my time.
---
#32 Posted: 20:36:06 25/10/2014
That makes me curious now how does it look like if someone you don't have blocked is quoting someone that you have blocked
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#33 Posted: 20:38:11 25/10/2014
Quote: Iceclaw
That makes me curious now how does it look like if someone you don't have blocked is quoting someone that you have blocked

Probably the quote still shows up but looking at the screenshots there's nothing where me and Aura and etc. are supposed to be. Again, his arguments now will be more hilarious than infuriating.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:38:58 25/10/2014 by Bifrost
UB_test_account Red Sparx Gems: 50
#34 Posted: 20:41:07 25/10/2014
A few quick things:

1. This is my new test account. I made it absolutely obvious that the test account is mine, so there's no question or accusation to be made. Additionally, if there's ever a reason to ban me, it'll be easy for the individual who takes that action to do the same to this account.

2. Thanks, dark, for getting it activated so quickly. I think it was activated quicker than my actual account was. smilie

3. Would someone please clean up all the off-topic derailment from this thread? I missed a lot of it, but since I'm logged in from a different account on a different browser, I can see it all and it's pretty unnecessary for the topic at hand.

4. dark, do you have a preference where I do any testing I get around to doing without spamming up an actual active part of the forum?
#35 Posted: 20:44:17 25/10/2014
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: Iceclaw

Probably the quote still shows up but looking at the screenshots there's nothing where me and Aura and etc. are supposed to be. Again, his arguments now will be more hilarious than infuriating.

Actually the quote is not there all together. Sess quoted me in a post, and bob took a screenshot of it. Nothing was there but the response.
---
icon from Empoh
#36 Posted: 20:48:10 25/10/2014
UncleBob, I'll just say this. I hope this doesn't become a snowball effect and that you know what you're doing and not use this for people that disagree with you.

Best of luck,

Jeremiah Cone-Wyant
---
#37 Posted: 20:48:38 25/10/2014
Quote: Trix Master 100

Actually the quote is not there all together. Sess quoted me in a post, and bob took a screenshot of it. Nothing was there but the response.

Darn, guess we really are invisible to him.

Well kids, here's today's lesson: Hide your eyes from people with different opinions or that you don't like, because if you don't want to ignore them normally or to respond to them in a respectable manner, obviously something else's gotta do the job for you.
---
#38 Posted: 20:51:30 25/10/2014
Well at least he won't derail our topics that he disagrees with anytime soon if he can't see them.
---
#39 Posted: 20:53:23 25/10/2014
Going to close this anyway, because dark's already given his input on this situation.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me