Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Site Help and Suggestions > I'm getting a crapload of pop ups on my phone.
Page 1 of 1
I'm getting a crapload of pop ups on my phone. [CLOSED]
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#1 Posted: 17:59:13 04/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote:
If it matters:

Nexus 5 running stock Android 4.4.4
Google Chrome

Phone is also recently reformatted. No malware/virus crap as far as I'm concerned.

Each time I visit this site on my phone, I get a crap load of pop ups. No other site does this. What gives? ._.
gillgrunt987 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7369
#2 Posted: 18:47:49 04/09/2014
Use Adblock Plus to maybe help with the pop-up problem. I've had at least 10+ads/popups before when checking my Adblock Plus extension for Chrome, but this is the mobile version you're talking about. Android 4.4.4 shouldn't be affecting the site, so it's not your phone directly causing the problem. I'm not sure why there are so many pop-ups themselves on the mobile site, but as mentioned earlier in this post, I would recommend trying Adblock Plus to stop the pop-ups. It's not avaliable on Google Play because Google removed it for some reason. Tick "Install apps from unknown sources", look Adblock up on Google, download the one from the official download page. That's what I did for my Samsung Galaxy S2 earlier, so it should work on your Nexus 5. Hopefully this solves or lessens the pop-ups on your phone.
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
#3 Posted: 19:20:22 04/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: gillgrunt987
Use Adblock Plus to maybe help with the pop-up problem. I've had at least 10+ads/popups before when checking my Adblock Plus extension for Chrome, but this is the mobile version you're talking about. Android 4.4.4 shouldn't be affecting the site, so it's not your phone directly causing the problem. I'm not sure why there are so many pop-ups themselves on the mobile site, but as mentioned earlier in this post, I would recommend trying Adblock Plus to stop the pop-ups. It's not avaliable on Google Play because Google removed it for some reason. Tick "Install apps from unknown sources", look Adblock up on Google, download the one from the official download page. That's what I did for my Samsung Galaxy S2 earlier, so it should work on your Nexus 5. Hopefully this solves or lessens the pop-ups on your phone.

No kidding. I only put it there in case someone was curious. Yes, I have adblock plus as well. I have no idea as to why I'm still getting pop ups only from this site...
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#4 Posted: 20:39:27 04/09/2014
I've never had any luck with the Adblock Plus app for Android. That thing was garbage for me.
Not only that, but the connection settings it required blocked the connection with the Play Store.

For these reasons is why I use Firefox, along with the Adblock Plus add-on. It's the only reason I'd run Firefox over Chrome. And so far, so good.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#5 Posted: 01:51:10 20/11/2014
For some reason, I apparently had my adblock disabled on my cell. Virtually every page I loaded here at dS was trying to load Google Play and get me to download some Zynga game. Very annoying.
#6 Posted: 07:36:52 20/11/2014 | Topic Creator
Still getting pop ups.

what gives
#7 Posted: 16:35:51 20/11/2014
zer0dch - check out an add-on for FireFox called Ghostery. I'm not sure if there's a Chrome mobile version, but Ghostery is a pretty awesome little bugger. I've actually since removed the real adblock software from my phone, allowing non-invasive advertising to come through (so sites get a paltry bit of revenue from my ad views) and don't really run into problems with issues such as the popups (when it's running, of course).
#8 Posted: 02:39:07 12/12/2014 | Topic Creator
God damn it dark, I'm getting pop ups on my phone still. What gives?

edit: Phone and Tablet.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:39:20 12/12/2014 by zer0dch
star kitty Blue Sparx Gems: 917
#9 Posted: 16:14:39 15/12/2014
I thought I was the only one with this issue!! It's driving me nuts! It just recently started on my iPhone 6..within the last couple of days. It's only this site that does it and only on my iPhone. I have been using my iPad mini without any issues. Any reason why this is happening or fixes for it?
darkwolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 7072
#10 Posted: 17:55:45 18/12/2014
I'm also having a similar problem on my iPhone. It will randomly open the App Store while I'm on a page, without me clicking on anything.
star kitty Blue Sparx Gems: 917
#11 Posted: 09:03:08 19/12/2014
Quote: darkwolf
I'm also having a similar problem on my iPhone. It will randomly open the App Store while I'm on a page, without me clicking on anything.

I noticed when this happened the other day that I was on LTE and not Wifi. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Were you using wifi when it happened? And how often do you notice it on your phone?
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#12 Posted: 03:33:22 20/12/2014
Quote: star kitty

I noticed when this happened the other day that I was on LTE and not Wifi. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Were you using wifi when it happened? And how often do you notice it on your phone?

This actually happens a fair lot on my iPad, i would just be browsing and then I get the App Store... Sometimes my iPad May glitch and just go straight away to the home screen which annoys the hell out of me because I'm doing something important and I have to start it all again.
darkwolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 7072
#13 Posted: 03:34:49 20/12/2014
Quote: star kitty

Both LTE and WiFi. It seems to occur about 2-4 times per day, but I haven't really kept track of it very well.
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#14 Posted: 03:54:04 20/12/2014
It happens to me too. Though I get it mostly on LTE than on WiFi.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#15 Posted: 15:31:04 20/12/2014
Adblock isn't stopping anything here, sometimes it'll just simply open the App Store twice because of reasons even if no other ads appear.But it's more related to Curse Forums than this place, they always have annoying ads no matter which forum I visit, but they only bypass Adblock on mobile.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:31:37 20/12/2014 by Bifrost
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#16 Posted: 15:41:15 20/12/2014
just use a pc and no problem whats so ever.....
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#17 Posted: 15:55:18 20/12/2014
Quote: CountMoneyBone

Yeah, because at the 2-3 hours I usually get stuck with nothing to do at uni during the week, I can just magically get a PC instead of asking for Dark to see what he can do about the Curse ads.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#18 Posted: 16:44:06 20/12/2014
Quote: Bifrost

Yeah, because at the 2-3 hours I usually get stuck with nothing to do at uni during the week, I can just magically get a PC instead of asking for Dark to see what he can do about the Curse ads.

i have a netbook and i bring it everywhere, its great and much better than a phone.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#19 Posted: 17:04:09 20/12/2014
Adblock does not work, as previously stated.

Can't carry that **** with you all the time.
#20 Posted: 23:01:11 21/12/2014 | Topic Creator

Some of us don't have access to PC's during Uni. I have a laptop and tablet I could bring, but I only bring the tablet because it is MUCH lighter. I only bring the laptop if I am programming.

Quote: Bifrost

i have a netbook and i bring it everywhere, its great and much better than a phone.

Once again, you're not helping.

Still a reoccurring issue dark. Please fix.
#21 Posted: 21:59:36 22/12/2014
Still recommend Ghostery. I only had this issue the time I had turned Ghosery off and had forgotten to turn it back on. The add-on is amazing.
Sure, it's not a solution to the full problem, but it *is* a fix that we end users have full control over.
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5391
#22 Posted: 02:07:42 25/12/2014
Adblock for Android only blocks Google API ads... It will NOT work for Chrome. I get the issue on my Nexus 7 but only in Dolphin Browser, I use Google Chrome BETA on my Droid Maxx, Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, no popups on phone.
---
BREATHE AIR.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#23 Posted: 17:03:01 27/12/2014
Welp, I just had multiple pop ups and even several redirects on my phone.
Getting annoying, since AdBlock on mobile is God-awful.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#24 Posted: 01:28:58 28/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Matteomax
Welp, I just had multiple pop ups and even several redirects on my phone.
Getting annoying, since AdBlock on mobile is God-awful.

Do something about this, dark.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#25 Posted: 04:00:56 28/12/2014
Yeah, it's been annoying to me too.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#26 Posted: 05:27:06 28/12/2014
Do the pop ups block the screen? Or are they just side ads? I'm confused sorry.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#27 Posted: 05:38:28 28/12/2014
They automatically take you off-site, sometimes to the app store if the ads are advertising apps.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#28 Posted: 05:41:29 28/12/2014
Ah yeah then I get an awful lot of those, especially leading me to the App Store, or other websites. Normally they glitch and send me back to my home screen, and I have to start everything up again. It's so annoying.
#29 Posted: 05:51:49 28/12/2014
I'm tellin' y'all. Ghostery. Works like a charm. :D
#30 Posted: 06:48:51 28/12/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: UncleBob
I'm tellin' y'all. Ghostery. Works like a charm. :D

Yeah that's great and all but not every user will install it. This issue is something that is effecting many users hard enough to the point where it's a problem dark needs to fix.
#31 Posted: 07:11:32 28/12/2014
Oh, I completely agree that it needs to be fixed on a higher level - but sometimes, ya just gotta take things into your own hands and do what you can. :D
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#32 Posted: 13:40:56 28/12/2014
This happens occasionally on my iPad, not that much anymore.
---
#hu
#33 Posted: 15:57:42 28/12/2014
Quote: UncleBob
Oh, I completely agree that it needs to be fixed on a higher level - but sometimes, ya just gotta take things into your own hands and do what you can. :D

And for what it's worth, I recommend Ghostery even without this pop-up/takeover issue. It's a great little application that block out all the things that track you all over the internet while not blocking most ads themselves (which means, sites still get ad revenue when you visit).
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me