Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
without a phone now, ipwjef [CLOSED]
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#1 Posted: 05:05:23 26/08/2014 | Topic Creator
welp, my phone completely crapped out on me. and by crapped out i mean absolutely won't work.

yes, i could go into T-Mobile tomorrow and explain my situation, but here is where I am lost.

My phone is unlocked, obviously it is rooted and I was running a custom ROM on it, Carbon. Cool, everything works. ...Although, ever since then, my phone will barely take a charge. It takes literally 30 minutes to charge up to 10% (no i don't have a custom kernel on it).

Eventually I've had enough, go into recovery mode (TWRP) and load my backup from the 18th. Everything seems to work, battery is still crap though. Whatever, I'll just unroot and lock my phone and bring it into T-Mobile.

Theeeeen here's where **** hits the fan. I was speaking to a friend and he told me I may as well wipe the phone and reflash with stock. I knew exactly what to do, wipe everything BUT INTERNAL STORAGE. ....Anyways, so I stupidly listened and handed him my phone since he said he would do it for me (I was busy atm).

the stupid **** wiped my internal storage on my phone. I currently have no OS installed onto my phone, and I've been hunting online for hours trying to reload the drivers and sideload the ROM onto my phone, but it keeps failing.

Am I ****ed? Usually I'm really smart with these things, but my phone keeps ****ting itself. I'm never letting one of my friends touch my phone (at least while in recovery mode).

My contract is over too, I could just purchase a new phone...but I was going to wait until the Nexus X comes out this Halloween. Maybe I should just get a cheapo prepaid until then? There is no way T-Mobile is going to just give me the same phone for free. I could pay for it...but its not really my fault. I'd rather wait it down. .__.

TL;DR: If I didn't hand over my phone to my friend to wipe it, it would be working right now.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 05:08:44 26/08/2014 by zer0dch
#2 Posted: 05:52:38 26/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Pixilism
if you want the nexus x that comes out on halloween, get a cheapo prepaid until then
if you got a new phone now it'd just cost you more money to get the nexus x later

I was thinking about that, but I'm also a cheapwad. I really don't want to spend the money even on a cheap phone, but thats really my only option.

I'm actually considering going phoneless untul the Nexus X comes out. Not like anyone texts me anymore >.> (although I use my phone much more for other things than texting and gaming)
#3 Posted: 06:03:51 26/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: zer0dch
if you want the nexus x that comes out on halloween, get a cheapo prepaid until then
if you got a new phone now it'd just cost you more money to get the nexus x later

I was thinking about that, but I'm also a cheapwad. I really don't want to spend the money even on a cheap phone, but thats really my only option.

I'm actually considering going phoneless untul the Nexus X comes out. Not like anyone texts me anymore >.> (although I use my phone much more for other things than texting and gaming)

going phoneless is an option too, though a cheap $20 prepaid tracfone or some **** might be decent in the case of an emergency, since you never know when those will happen
as much as it would feel like a waste of money, it's what i'd probably do

I may just purchase a cheap RAZR phone unlocked from Amazon, used. The problem though is that I use my phone for a lot more than just texting and calling. I'm always on Gmail or hosting files and taking notes, or something else important.

There wouldn't be much of a use for a cheapo phone for me :/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:04:23 26/08/2014 by zer0dch
#4 Posted: 07:45:29 26/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Damn, I downloaded the Android SDK Manager and installed the Google USB drivers, and no luck. My phone won't receive the signal for the USB driver, thus I cannot sideload stock Android using TWRP.

Officially out a phone, ****. I really need to use one for my work studies though...

I'm going to call up T-Mobile in the morning and just let them know my situation. I already know the answer they're going to give me, but its worth a shot. Damn.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#5 Posted: 14:41:46 26/08/2014
Can you access recovery mode?

Attempt to flash it again...?

Or the thing's just bricked entirely, I dunno.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:47:12 26/08/2014 by DummyZ
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#6 Posted: 14:55:14 26/08/2014
You could get a Moto G for like 70$ with boost mobile on prepaid.
#7 Posted: 16:58:38 26/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: DummyZ
Can you access recovery mode?

Attempt to flash it again...?

Or the thing's just bricked entirely, I dunno.

Update: I got a custom version of Android 4.4.3 up on my phone and running...but anything higher fails to sideload. I'm doing all the steps correctly, going to try again. P:
#8 Posted: 00:46:08 27/08/2014 | Topic Creator
I GOT IT FULLY FUNCTIONING.

God damn, not even forcing to sideload the ROM would work. Sadly, something incredibly beneficial was using one of the OEM USB cables it came with rather than the USB I was using. As soon as I connected my phone into recovery mode using the new cable, and re-installing the Google USB drivers, my phone was instantly recognized.

In order to make sure it would function, I ran "fastboot devices" through command prompt in the bootloader and it recognized my device and serial code. Finally, some progress!

With this new found progress I was able to force flash (and wipe absolutely everything on my phone during the process) the phone. I had to move all of the files I needed to flash onto my phone to the same directory where the Android SDK manager and ADB drivers were, and use command prompt in that directory so it would recognize my phone and get a connection.

Now that all the files were in that directory and my phone was able to be read, I used a few simple commands to force flash the factory image onto my Nexus 5. Basically:

C:\Windows\mynamehere\Documents>cd..
C:\Windows\mynamehere\>cd Desktop
C:\Windows\mynamehere\Desktop>cd hammerheadOS
C:\Windows\mynamehere\Documents\hammerheadOS>cd OSnamehere
C:\Windows\mynamehere\Documents\hammerheadOS\OSnamehere>flash-all.bat

and a very long executable script ensued and my phone restarted many times, and the OS was flashed onto my phone! Everything was wiped, including my recovery (TWRP installer) so I need to reinstall that to make a backup.

I know people will not understand this...but I am incredibly happy. I thought my phone was completely bricked (other people would have probably given up and purchased a new phone) but I tried for hours, and now it is fully functioning just like it used to!

I don't quite understand why sideloading, hell FORCING to sideload the ROM didn't work, but whatever. At least I can always just completely wipe the phone and flash the entire thing using the command prompt (and UNIX skills I learned in class, even if these were preset commands) scripts.

Mods can lock this if you want, I just wanted to share what I did to get it off my chest. It took me hourrrssss.

TL;DR: Don't wipe the internal storage on your phone unless you absolutely know what you are doing.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me