Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
ALS Ice Challenge [CLOSED]
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8572
#1 Posted: 15:24:44 20/08/2014 | Topic Creator
In my honest opinion I think the challenge is dumb and smart at the same time. You get celebrities doing it on the internet and all of a sudden people are doing it and donating money to the ALS foundation. In fact they raised 1000% more money then what they raised last year. But the fact that people like this really only do it for more views because "How do I become famous without showing my talents?". Hell most of them probably don't know what ALS is. Then you have the celebrities who only do it for more attention which is okay but at least they donate money to a charity they probably don't know anything about. If it makes this much money then good for them but adding a challenge to make you look like an ass if you don't do it is smart. But now I expect the Susan G. Komen For The Cure to make some challenge that has nothing to do with the charity for people to ride their success on.

tl;dr version: It's not even that long go read it, you're on a forum what did you expect to see?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:24:59 20/08/2014 by somePerson
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#2 Posted: 16:57:11 20/08/2014
I was wondering when a topic about this would be made.
Anyway, I think it's stupid.
Yeah, it's good to raise awareness, but nearly everyone I've seen do it have only done it because they were "tagged" and it's the trendy thing to do at the moment. Throwing ice on yourself pretty much does nothing. If you really want to help out, donate to the cause.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:57:30 20/08/2014 by AvatariDragon
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#3 Posted: 17:12:02 20/08/2014
I support it whole heartedly and think that it's one of the best trends we've had in years. Unlike the Harlem Shake, Gangnam Style, the cinnamon challenge, or other things like that, this goes towards charity. Celebrities that do it still donate regardless, and it's just very enjoyable to watch people you know/listen to do the challenge and have some fun. Weird Al Yankovic and Charlie Sheen have had the two best challenge videos to date, among others.

I dunno. Maybe if it was just people pouring water on their heads I would have more issue or wouldn't be defending it as much as I am now. But since the challenge is based entirely around donating to charity (and despite the bucket originally being a way to escape making a large donation, they still make large donations anyway), there is no way I can find this stupid.

Also Susan G. Komen is certainly going to try and top this. But from what I've heard they aren't very reliable.

EDIT: Also many people, especially in the world of baseball (where this challenge is REALLY rampant) know what ALS is, as in the US it's named after Lou Gehrig.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:14:53 20/08/2014 by CAV
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#4 Posted: 18:12:54 20/08/2014
It's kinda annoying seeing that 80% of my Facebook news feed is this challenge.....
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6643
#5 Posted: 18:16:19 20/08/2014
Quote: CommanderGame
It's kinda annoying seeing that 80% of my Facebook news feed is this challenge.....

Only 80%?
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#6 Posted: 19:29:58 20/08/2014
I'm not against this or charity in any way, but it is a little annoying sometimes.

Eh, celebrities are normally doing far worse, I don't mind so much.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12223
#7 Posted: 19:39:52 20/08/2014
it has made 15 mil for charity so im not bothered by it
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#8 Posted: 22:23:58 20/08/2014
Quote: AvatariDragon
Yeah, it's good to raise awareness, but nearly everyone I've seen do it have only done it because they were "tagged" and it's the trendy thing to do at the moment. Throwing ice on yourself pretty much does nothing. If you really want to help out, donate to the cause.

Crap opinion. It raised awareness and like others said, it also raised $15 million.
#9 Posted: 22:26:31 20/08/2014
^You don't have to say crap opinion. Makes your statement less credible.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:26:50 20/08/2014 by CAV
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#10 Posted: 22:36:08 20/08/2014
CAV pretty much echoed my sentiments on this. Normally I question the point of tacking on things to what should be a simple donation, but not only has this been fun and catching people's interest, but it's genius in the sense that pouring a bucket of ice cold water over your head temporarily gives you a taste of what people with ALS have to feel, since many of the issues ALS gives people are temporarily brought to you in a less harmful way when you are freezing cold. So there is a very relevant symbolism to it, and makes people say "wow that felt terrible, and there are people who feels something like that because of ALS, only it's way worse and for the long term. I really want to help them by donating, now!".
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#11 Posted: 22:40:32 20/08/2014
Like I'd care. Whatever makes money for a good reason.
LegoLander Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#12 Posted: 23:15:22 20/08/2014
I don't want to rain on the parade but the CEOs of charities get a crapload of money.
---
The person who finally changed his Christmas avatar. Give me a cookie.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8572
#13 Posted: 23:26:02 20/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Can't wait for the Susan G. Komen's nipple clip challenge?
Troll Slug Ripto Gems: 2054
#14 Posted: 23:34:57 20/08/2014
For those CoC fans, PlayClashOfClans (Chief Pat) went in an ice bath and played CoC. He gave 500 dollars, too.
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#15 Posted: 01:48:20 21/08/2014
What others are saying. It's for charity. As long as they donate, I don't care.

Though, it's been nice to see my band directors get ice dumped all over them. smilie
---
#hu
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#16 Posted: 02:20:28 21/08/2014
Quote: TheJMAN184
I mean it's great that people are doing this to help ALS and all but I feel like most people are doing this just because everyone else is doing it.
It also feels like that if it wasn't for ice challenge people really wouldn't give two ***** about this charity.
But this is just how I see it.

That's kind of the point

People like to do what everyone else is doing
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#17 Posted: 03:42:40 21/08/2014
It's a great way to make something go viral that means something, unlike other trends. This helps people, and the way it mimicks other "Challenges" like the Cinnamon Challenge while still doing something productive is wonderful.
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#18 Posted: 03:48:15 21/08/2014
if it rases money and awareness for the dieases i dont care
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#19 Posted: 04:02:03 21/08/2014
As long as people at least mention the cause I'm okay with it.
#20 Posted: 04:42:36 21/08/2014
Quote: TheJMAN184
I mean it's great that people are doing this to help ALS and all but I feel like most people are doing this just because everyone else is doing it.
It also feels like that if it wasn't for ice challenge people really wouldn't give two ***** about this charity.
But this is just how I see it.

Well people that do it typically challenge others and it spreads from there.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#21 Posted: 05:38:30 21/08/2014
I guess it's cool that people are trying to raise awareness, but the fact that I know people who've done it for attention absolutely ruins it for me.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#22 Posted: 20:25:53 21/08/2014

My favorite Ice Bucket challenge.
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3571
#23 Posted: 11:31:36 22/08/2014
You guys obviously don't know what ALS does or what it's trying to do.

Read this.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmc...allenge#1q3nuon

tl;dr - ALS is a organization that studies Stem cells. In order to do the experiments, the embryos of unborn babies are taken from the egg and used in research. If you want to donate research to an organization who kills of countless unborn babies a day, go ahead and be my guest.
---
My life is complete.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#24 Posted: 12:04:52 22/08/2014
Quote: zer0dch

Crap opinion. It raised awareness and like others said, it also raised $15 million.

Yeah it raises awareness, but like I said, most of my friends are only doing it because it's a way to get noticed, like it's some kind of trend or something. Most of them probably don't even know what exactly it's for. It's a good idea I suppose, but it annoys the **** out of me when people are doing it for attention rather than for a good cause, so I mean...

And it's not exactly fair to call someone's opinion crap just because you don't agree with it.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#25 Posted: 12:46:46 22/08/2014

This.

And this might come off as being a jerk, but I don't like the fact that people are only donating because of this challenge. A dumb challenge shouldn't determine how much money I donate to a good cause, or make me feel forced to donate. Charity lets you donate at any time. Any amount counts. I'd rather donate money on my own than have a challenge force me to. Donating on your own is a better option because you're choosing to help. This challenge has people donating only because they're being nominated and most feel obliged to because everyone who does the ice bucket challenge HAS to. Granted, that's not an entirely bad thing. I'm glad ALS research has gotten more money than before thanks to the ice bucket challenge. And keyword, MOST people feel like they have to donate just because they were nominated. But it's only getting so much because most people feel they HAVE to do it.

I'm sure ill be getting backlash for this, but this is honestly how I feel. Charity shouldn't be forced upon, it should be something that people choose to do because they choose to use their time to help rather than do it because someone was nominated for a trend that will likely die within the next few weeks.
---
Cool cool.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me