darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Villains Upgrade Saves (Lou Studdert Answered)
Page 1 of 1
Villains Upgrade Saves (Lou Studdert Answered)
GIANTSRULE Yellow Sparx Gems: 1660
#1 Posted: 17:37:07 17/08/2014 | Topic Creator
I was wondering what happened if you capture 2 of the same villain both in different traps and lou studdert said "Villains upgrades work differently there tied to completing quests the state is then saved into the trap and later said maybe we should make a video on it?

Also anyone wondering what will happen if you start a new save file he also answered that too "Yep all your villains will be in their evolved state even in a new save file and give them a nickname and hat if you want too" this is awesome So the villains are stored into that trap no matter what save file and even if you go back to fight that villain again and trap another they will still have all their upgrades from the quests
---
"Taking Charge"
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 18:14:11 17/08/2014 by GIANTSRULE
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#2 Posted: 18:19:24 17/08/2014
Where did you hear this?
---
#hu
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#3 Posted: 18:32:53 17/08/2014
unless of course you over-write what's in the trap, which I can EASILY see this happen.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#4 Posted: 18:40:38 17/08/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
unless of course you over-write what's in the trap, which I can EASILY see this happen.

I think what that means is that the trap saves as many villains as you catch with it.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
#5 Posted: 19:50:19 17/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Straight from lou i asked him on twitter
---
"Taking Charge"
#6 Posted: 20:06:17 17/08/2014
Quote: Bionichute

I think what that means is that the trap saves as many villains as you catch with it.

No, I'm pretty sure it's one per trap. I've never read or seen a video that talks about what happens when you overwrite a villain in a trap.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:06:30 17/08/2014 by GhostRoaster
#7 Posted: 20:34:10 17/08/2014

No, I'm pretty sure it's one per trap. I've never read or seen a video that talks about what happens when you overwrite a villain in a trap.

They go back to the villain vault and get replaced in the trap with the new villain. They have said this before.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#8 Posted: 22:33:43 17/08/2014
Right, but do they keep their upgrades when transferred to the vault? I think that's the question people are asking. I have no idea.
#9 Posted: 22:56:02 17/08/2014
Quote: diddy50
Right, but do they keep their upgrades when transferred to the vault? I think that's the question people are asking. I have no idea.

Probably. It probably just doesn't work like that when on a new file, I mean, the villain upgrades are technically collectibles, thus they should be saved to your file.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#10 Posted: 23:37:29 17/08/2014

Probably. It probably just doesn't work like that when on a new file, I mean, the villain upgrades are technically collectibles, thus they should be saved to your file.

I don't see how they are collectibles, and if the upgrade was saved to file, that would mean that your villain doesn't have the upgrade unless you play him on the same saved game that you earned the upgrade on. That would mean that you cannot take your trapped villain over to Billy's house and play as the upgraded villain. No way that's the way it works. The best case scenario is that it's saved to the trap and the saved file. That way you can reuse the trap, and just copy the old upgraded villain back from your saved game when you want to play as the upgraded character.

We've seen the trap box that comes with the game. Seems pretty clear that they want you to buy one trap for villain, not reuse the same trap repeatedly.
#11 Posted: 00:36:23 18/08/2014
Quote: melvimbe

I don't see how they are collectibles, and if the upgrade was saved to file, that would mean that your villain doesn't have the upgrade unless you play him on the same saved game that you earned the upgrade on. That would mean that you cannot take your trapped villain over to Billy's house and play as the upgraded villain. No way that's the way it works. The best case scenario is that it's saved to the trap and the saved file. That way you can reuse the trap, and just copy the old upgraded villain back from your saved game when you want to play as the upgraded character.

We've seen the trap box that comes with the game. Seems pretty clear that they want you to buy one trap for villain, not reuse the same trap repeatedly.

Either way, the villains should still save to your file.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
#12 Posted: 01:04:36 18/08/2014 | Topic Creator

Either way, the villains should still save to your file.

They will for sure why would they do that in the first place and the villains keep all their upgrades no matter how many you have of that villain and save in that trap so if u had 2 gulpers both in different traps they will still have their upgrades both of them and both have the same nickname so im pretty sure they will keep them in the vault and it does not save to one save file it saves to the trap
---
"Taking Charge"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:06:08 18/08/2014 by GIANTSRULE
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#13 Posted: 01:19:19 18/08/2014
I'm guessing that as soon as you replace an upgraded villain from the trap, which then sends them to the prison, they will lose any upgrades you got for said villain. Clearly a possibility to sell more traps.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#14 Posted: 01:31:01 18/08/2014
That kind of kills the toys with brains gimmick. But it does make people stick with villains instead of switching to the one you feel like playing that day.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#15 Posted: 01:47:01 18/08/2014
Quote: Bifrost
That kind of kills the toys with brains gimmick. But it does make people stick with villains instead of switching to the one you feel like playing that day.

Skylander Toy Brain IQ goes down with each entry. smilie
---
#16 Posted: 01:51:15 18/08/2014
I'm guessing that as soon as you replace an upgraded villain from the trap, which then sends them to the prison, they will lose any upgrades you got for said villain. Clearly a possibility to sell more traps.

As Bifrost said, that kills the Toys with brains gimmick, and would probably make people less interested in buying traps, due to that being completely stupid. Skylanders may be a franchise based entirely on making money, but Toys for Bob knows not to do stupid decisions like that. they know that the main audience for the games are kids, and that kids don't exactly have disposable income, and as such, you only need 8 figures to get everything in the game. In Spyro's Adventure you only needed 8. In Giants you only needed 8. In Swap Force you only needed 8. Here, you need the 8Trap masters, plus the 8 traps. They have no reason to do something like that unless they wanted to alienate people.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
#17 Posted: 01:55:23 18/08/2014
You guys are obviously ignoring the re-drawing of the lines by Activision on this entry. Watch this space.
---
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#18 Posted: 02:15:27 18/08/2014

I doubt it. It will probably just back up all the data on the trap and restore it as you please. I wonder if I could duplicate villians (especially variant ones).
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
#19 Posted: 02:40:15 18/08/2014
"Wah wah wah, Activision is so evil for trying to make money" Give. It. A. Rest. You are seriously starting to annoy me. At this point, Activision doesn't even have to do anything with Skylanders, and that's why it's probably so fun. If Activision had any control, then they would make you buy every figure, but guess what? You don't, and I have no idea why they would change it for the traps. Activision and Toys for Bob aren't stupid. They know that having you buy every trap is a stupid idea, so they won't do it.

I'm pretty sure that quote didn't come from me. Believe it or not, these development houses do in fact get some direction from Activision; they are not autonomous. I'd love to be proven wrong if that's not the case.

As to how I make you feel, I'm not in control of your feelings. I'm having a conversation. Feel free to make a point besides being overtly emotional to people on a board.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 02:45:25 18/08/2014 by GhostRoaster
#20 Posted: 10:18:00 18/08/2014 | Topic Creator
They won't lose their upgrades when sent to the vilain vault. Once you do that quest for that certain villain they keep them no matter what, So if you had two of the same, They would both have the same upgrades and hats you put on them. It saves to the trap not the save file.

So if you was on nightmare, you would have all the villains you captured on your first play through with all their upgrades.
---
"Taking Charge"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:24:55 18/08/2014 by GIANTSRULE
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#21 Posted: 10:36:51 18/08/2014
Quote: GIANTSRULE

They will for sure why would they do that in the first place and the villains keep all their upgrades no matter how many you have of that villain and save in that trap so if u had 2 gulpers both in different traps they will still have their upgrades both of them and both have the same nickname so im pretty sure they will keep them in the vault and it does not save to one save file it saves to the trap

Dude, punctuation is your friend. Seriously, that's extremely difficult to read.

On the topic at hand, I don't think there is a method for saving the villain upgrade that doesn't have a downside. If the upgrade is saved to the trap, and the trap can be overwritten, then you would lose your upgrade. There is no backing up an upgrade on the trap...it comes with very little memory, same as the figures. (Similarly, if you reset a figure, you can't restore from a backup). If the upgrade is saved to a saved file, then you've lost the portability of that upgrade when you play the trap on a different console of saved file. Neither of these are things Activision wants the customer to have to deal with I think, but that's the physical reality of it.

The only other alternative is that you save upgardes to both locations, the trap and the saved file. That eliminates both of the above problems, but does have it's own problem. When the saved file doesn't match the trap (because you got an upgrade on another console or something), which version wins? I'm not sure they would go through logic to determine the right choice or make features for the user to pick. I would guess that the upgrades are saved to the trap, the same as they are saved to figures, and that's that.
#22 Posted: 11:28:59 18/08/2014 | Topic Creator

Dude, punctuation is your friend. Seriously, that's extremely difficult to read.

On the topic at hand, I don't think there is a method for saving the villain upgrade that doesn't have a downside. If the upgrade is saved to the trap, and the trap can be overwritten, then you would lose your upgrade. There is no backing up an upgrade on the trap...it comes with very little memory, same as the figures. (Similarly, if you reset a figure, you can't restore from a backup). If the upgrade is saved to a saved file, then you've lost the portability of that upgrade when you play the trap on a different console of saved file. Neither of these are things Activision wants the customer to have to deal with I think, but that's the physical reality of it.

The only other alternative is that you save upgardes to both locations, the trap and the saved file. That eliminates both of the above problems, but does have it's own problem. When the saved file doesn't match the trap (because you got an upgrade on another console or something), which version wins? I'm not sure they would go through logic to determine the right choice or make features for the user to pick. I would guess that the upgrades are saved to the trap, the same as they are saved to figures, and that's that.

Maybe, But the villains do the quests to gain upgrades. Which is saved to the save file, So it's got to be saved to the trap and the save file.

I asked Lou and he said that if you was to start a new save file, The villain would still be on the trap with all the upgrades and hats you gave them. So this would mean that they are saved to the trap.
---
"Taking Charge"
#23 Posted: 12:42:49 18/08/2014
It would save to the trap, and when you transfer it to the vault it would save all the data in the trap to your save file and when you transfer it back to the trap it will rewrite all the data back on the trap. So you will keep your upgrades when you transfer.
---
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#24 Posted: 14:13:23 18/08/2014
^ If that is correct I would say that is the best way they could have handled it. I'd like to see some videos of the mechanics in action.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#25 Posted: 15:22:14 18/08/2014
TC, link to tweets?

And I always assumed it would work as mantez said

P.S. Bionichute, I think publishers do get to make gameplay decisions.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:28:39 18/08/2014 by Arc of Archives
#26 Posted: 15:54:25 18/08/2014 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

The tweet
---
"Taking Charge"
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#27 Posted: 16:11:49 18/08/2014
^ Thanks.
jbkaok Blue Sparx Gems: 635
#28 Posted: 16:53:03 18/08/2014
Quote: mantez
It would save to the trap, and when you transfer it to the vault it would save all the data in the trap to your save file and when you transfer it back to the trap it will rewrite all the data back on the trap. So you will keep your upgrades when you transfer.

This does seem like the best way to handle it, but it could lead to some weird scenarios... if I take a trap to my friend's place with a villain in it, then capture a new villain in the trap and send the saved villain to my friend's vault, then my trap would have the new villain and my friend would get the old one. I could then be in a state where I go home with a new villain and don't have the old one in my vault anymore (or at all).

Also, not sure what would happen if you send two same-named villains to the vault. Maybe it prompts you to nickname the second one?
---
A sword of storms! smilie smilie
#29 Posted: 16:59:23 18/08/2014
Quote: jbkaok
Quote: mantez

This does seem like the best way to handle it, but it could lead to some weird scenarios... if I take a trap to my friend's place with a villain in it, then capture a new villain in the trap and send the saved villain to my friend's vault, then my trap would have the new villain and my friend would get the old one. I could then be in a state where I go home with a new villain and don't have the old one in my vault anymore (or at all).

Also, not sure what would happen if you send two same-named villains to the vault. Maybe it prompts you to nickname the second one?

As long as you have saved that villain to your vault, it should still be there. I'm sure Toys for Bob have thought this through so things like that don't happen.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
jbkaok Blue Sparx Gems: 635
#30 Posted: 17:08:42 18/08/2014
That would seem 'fairer', but of course it could lead to an infinite army of villains if you just keep loading them to traps and placing them in other save games' or friends' villain vaults smilie
---
A sword of storms! smilie smilie
#31 Posted: 02:18:57 19/08/2014
I would guess that you can't save a villain to a trap unless you have ownership of the trap.
---
undeadmaster Gold Sparx Gems: 2126
#32 Posted: 22:43:42 19/08/2014
[User Posted Image]

The tweet

I think the 3rd post is saying that the upgrade is saved to the trap and you can use it when you are using that trap with that villain you can use the upgrade.
---
I probably won't be back for like a year.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me