Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Cartoons that you're not a fan of, but have characters you really like.
Page 1 of 1
Cartoons that you're not a fan of, but have characters you really like. [CLOSED]
ClayFace Blue Sparx Gems: 835
#1 Posted: 09:44:09 15/08/2014 | Topic Creator
For me, I have only three.
The first show I hate, and the other two I'm just not a huge fan of.
However, these characters are all awesome, and I wish they could have been in a better show.

Phineas and Ferb - Isabella, Buford, and Doofenshmirtz.
Camp Lakebottom - Gretchen
Regular Show - Skips
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:45:14 15/08/2014 by ClayFace
Samius Hunter Gems: 9262
#2 Posted: 10:52:35 15/08/2014
I don't know, I don't really watch cartoons.

I often hear that MLP has good characters, but I've never even paid attention to the show itself so I can't say.
Unless it has mature, intelligent characters I'm not sure if I'd like them.
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12158
#3 Posted: 11:55:19 15/08/2014
Quote: Samius

I often hear that MLP has good characters, but I've never even paid attention to the show itself so I can't say.

It's not true. They're over-hyped to the extreme.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#4 Posted: 12:05:50 15/08/2014
If there's a show I don't like or know I won't like, I don't watch it. Therefore, I don't know any of the characters.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
#5 Posted: 12:12:25 15/08/2014
Quote: Spyro Fanatic

The size of the fandom would suggest that they're not, but of course it's all subjective.
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12158
#6 Posted: 13:15:39 15/08/2014
Quote: Spyro Fanatic

The size of the fandom would suggest that they're not, but of course it's all subjective.

The Twilight fandom was huge, that still doesn't equate to quality. Although I agree, opinions aren't facts, just preferences.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#7 Posted: 13:45:42 15/08/2014
Quote: AvatariDragon
If there's a show I don't like or know I won't like, I don't watch it. Therefore, I don't know any of the characters.

- - -
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#8 Posted: 20:48:04 15/08/2014
I like some of the characters in MLP: FiM even though I don't like the show. That's all I can think of right now.
---
but i love it all smooth
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#9 Posted: 21:02:54 15/08/2014
Doofenshmirtz seems alright. Otherwise can't think of anything.

The characters start out as the typical archetypes of children's programming. Over time they have further character development and become more three-dimensional, save for a few characters who remain rather flat and have made little to no progress in the 4 seasons the show has been running for (Fluttershy and Celestia come to mind). Rarity, Spike and Luna are my favorites in part because of all the depth both of them have (or could have), including likes and dislikes, personality, guilt, and how far they're willing to go with something before enough is enough.

That being said, you shouldn't get your hopes up too high. Many of the best traits and characteristics of some of these characters are often just implied rather than stated outright in the show, meaning that it often comes down to fan speculation. And even then, the fanbase spends an unfortunately large amount of time obsessing over one-note characters that cannot and will not ever have any form of character development (Derpy, Vinyl, etc.).

tl;dr MLP characters can be very good and overhyped at the same time; the fanbase dedicates too much time to the wrong characters
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 21:06:56 15/08/2014 by CAV
torok Platinum Sparx Gems: 6123
#10 Posted: 21:26:29 15/08/2014
Phineas and Ferb. I only watch the Perry and Doof parts.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#11 Posted: 21:29:16 15/08/2014
Not cartoons, but, I noticed that in those old live-action Disney/Nickelodeon shows, I always liked some of the supporting characters, but generally didn't like the show as a whole because they focused on the main characters. For example, in Hannah Montana, I didn't like the main characters (outright disliked Miley/Hannah and Lily, didn't care for that guy they hung out with), but I really liked Billy Ray "Stuart", Jackson, and Rico. I thought they were a lot of fun and had a lot of hilarious skits, and it was a huge contrast to the often over-dramatic but also poorly written segments with the main characters.

Then there was the Lizzy Maguire (sp?) Show where I again didn't care for the main three, but liked the little brother and his silent friend.

Then in iCarly, I absolutely loved Spencer.

There's probably more but I'm drawing a blank.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#12 Posted: 00:52:32 16/08/2014
Quote: CAV
And even then, the fanbase spends an unfortunately large amount of time obsessing over one-note characters that cannot and will not ever have any form of character development (Derpy, Vinyl, etc.).

tl;dr MLP characters can be very good and overhyped at the same time; the fanbase dedicates too much time to the wrong characters

Completely agreed
---
but i love it all smooth
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#13 Posted: 01:00:52 16/08/2014
The only time I truly came across this problem was with Warriors, and that's a book franchise. I only continued reading it because they brought in the most interesting character in the third series, and if it weren't for that character I would have stopped reading. I used to like it but no longer do after it got milked completely dry.

Quote: AvatariDragon

this.

If I have a problem with the show, it's more that I dislike the main character and prefer other characters and wish they were more main, but still like the show (a lot of anime have this problem).
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:06:32 16/08/2014 by DarkCynder_543
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#14 Posted: 01:14:17 16/08/2014
Generally the reason I like a show is cause I like the characters. If I didn't like the characters I wouldn't like it in the first place.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
#15 Posted: 01:30:13 16/08/2014
Quote: CAV
The characters start out as the typical archetypes of children's programming. Over time they have further character development and become more three-dimensional, save for a few characters who remain rather flat and have made little to no progress in the 4 seasons the show has been running for (Fluttershy and Celestia come to mind). Rarity, Spike and Luna are my favorites in part because of all the depth both of them have (or could have), including likes and dislikes, personality, guilt, and how far they're willing to go with something before enough is enough.

That being said, you shouldn't get your hopes up too high. Many of the best traits and characteristics of some of these characters are often just implied rather than stated outright in the show, meaning that it often comes down to fan speculation. And even then, the fanbase spends an unfortunately large amount of time obsessing over one-note characters that cannot and will not ever have any form of character development (Derpy, Vinyl, etc.).

You're just giving me names with no faces here since I don't really know any of these characters. I know that Celestia is supposed to be some kind on a ruler, and that Spike is a pink dragon.
Crownless King Yellow Sparx Gems: 1190
#16 Posted: 01:38:40 16/08/2014
I can agree with some characters in MLP:FiM being pretty good/likable, even though I stopped watching that show ages ago, but generally if I like a character from a show it usually means I like the show itself too at one point or still do.

Well there was this one crappy show that only aired in Canada but was later uploaded to YouTube called My Life Me, it was trying WAY too hard to appeal to nerdy weebs (a bit redundant), but there was one character that made some episodes worth watching just for him. Mr. Towes, he was basically this teacher character, but what made him great was that the voice actor for him KNEW that he was working on a crappy show so he just had his fun with the role.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#17 Posted: 01:56:14 16/08/2014
I was a fan of Merida from Brave before the movie came out, and all that we had to watch was mysterious trailers and the two-minute clip where she's shooting arrows.

The film was severely disappointing...
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#18 Posted: 02:31:20 16/08/2014
Quote: Crownless King
Well there was this one crappy show that only aired in Canada but was later uploaded to YouTube called My Life Me, it was trying WAY too hard to appeal to nerdy weebs (a bit redundant), but there was one character that made some episodes worth watching just for him. Mr. Towes, he was basically this teacher character, but what made him great was that the voice actor for him KNEW that he was working on a crappy show so he just had his fun with the role.

OH MY GOD MR. TOWES
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#19 Posted: 02:45:12 16/08/2014
Wayyyyy too specific title.
Answer: None.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#20 Posted: 03:03:30 16/08/2014
You're just giving me names with no faces here since I don't really know any of these characters. I know that Celestia is supposed to be some kind on a ruler, and that Spike is a pink dragon.

If you're not actually looking to get into the show and figure out who these characters are, I don't think it's all that important for you to know what they look like.

That being said, you're right about those two.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:03:59 16/08/2014 by CAV
#21 Posted: 03:05:36 16/08/2014
Quote: Kitty
I was a fan of Merida from Brave before the movie came out, and all that we had to watch was mysterious trailers and the two-minute clip where she's shooting arrows.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Y4EZULqhP2E[youtube]

Brave disappointed me too. It definitely wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, but I definitely didn't expect it to take the direction it took. Eh
---
but i love it all smooth
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#22 Posted: 03:45:23 16/08/2014
I actually am not huge on Death Note *thousands of fans start writing my name down* but I do like L and Light a lot (I cannot take Light seriously though I keep hearing Lan Hikari whenever he speaks XD)
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8572
#23 Posted: 04:49:25 16/08/2014
Trunks in GT.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#24 Posted: 11:56:05 16/08/2014
Quote: LevanJess
Quote: Kitty

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Y4EZULqhP2E[youtube]

Brave disappointed me too. It definitely wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, but I definitely didn't expect it to take the direction it took. Eh

It went from a grand, epic film, to a generic kids film within the first 20 minutes.
Pokemon2 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3814
#25 Posted: 10:44:45 17/08/2014
Total Drama
I only like 4 characters they are
Cameron
[User Posted Image]
And
Dave
[User Posted Image]
Ella
[User Posted Image]
Scarlett
[User Posted Image]
---
Moved to TimDrake, talk to me there.
awesomerockets Emerald Sparx Gems: 4136
#26 Posted: 15:58:51 17/08/2014
I'm not particularly fond of the film Hercules, but Hades is one of my favorite Disney villains.
---
go to my guestbook now and sign a petition to get Freddie benson into smash
assassinelf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1180
#27 Posted: 17:04:56 17/08/2014

It actualhy has quite a few mature references. For example, the "country girl" of the group, Applejack, is named after an alcaholic beverage. Also, Spike, who is basically a messenger dragon for the "nerdy girl" of the characters, Twilight Sparkle, has an obsession with donuts often likened to drinking alcohol. Cutie Marks are tramp stamps, IMO. I might rewatch the show to find a few more of the puns that fly over little kid's heads.

On the topic of mature characters, most every character is developed on. Fluttershy, the shy girl, has always been, to me, the shy girl who I suspect of bestiality. Practically nothing has been added to her other than occasional anger issues. Rarity, on the other hand, is the fancy girl. They've added quite a few things to her character, such as her obsession with gems, her constant need for popularity, her willingness to do things she wouldn't dream of doing otherwise for her sister, Sweetie Bell, the fact that her parents are almost always off on vacation.
---
Rickinelf: I ship it
Check out Survivor! Season 10! In forum games! Yay!
#28 Posted: 15:24:48 18/08/2014
Quote: assassinelf
It actualhy has quite a few mature references. For example, the "country girl" of the group, Applejack, is named after an alcaholic beverage. Also, Spike, who is basically a messenger dragon for the "nerdy girl" of the characters, Twilight Sparkle, has an obsession with donuts often likened to drinking alcohol. Cutie Marks are tramp stamps, IMO. I might rewatch the show to find a few more of the puns that fly over little kid's heads.

On the topic of mature characters, most every character is developed on. Fluttershy, the shy girl, has always been, to me, the shy girl who I suspect of bestiality. Practically nothing has been added to her other than occasional anger issues. Rarity, on the other hand, is the fancy girl. They've added quite a few things to her character, such as her obsession with gems, her constant need for popularity, her willingness to do things she wouldn't dream of doing otherwise for her sister, Sweetie Bell, the fact that her parents are almost always off on vacation.

Whoa, yeah. Okay. I'm not sure what exactly made you blurt out your deranged headcanons, but please don't make a habit of it.

Sorry to be so blunt, but not only did that not explain much about the characters in the show (which I didn't even ask about to be honest), but it told me a lot about how you think of children's cartoons.
dinorang67 Gold Sparx Gems: 2409
#29 Posted: 08:31:19 20/08/2014

There are a lot of characters with varying personalities in the show, and for example;
Girly character that evolves into a more mature one over the seasons of the show
Pinkie Pie, a happy-go-lucky earth pony who loves making everypony smile, has a few experiences that make her learn that sometimes being careless can lead to accidents. For example, cloning herself to the point that Ponyville was full of Pinkies everywhere or when she didn't realize that her friends were always going to be there for her, leading to the point that SOMEONE HAD TO MAKE A CREEPYPASTA ABOUT IT. She later toughens up for the many villains ahead, and is always there to make her friends smile, smile, smile. (CHEESY ENDING)
Introverted, reclusive character that becomes more confident over the series
Twilight Sparkle, a smart, focused Ali-UNICORN I MEANT UNICORN NO SPOILERS NOPE.
A smart focused UNICORN whose only friends are her mentor, Princess Celestia, and her close friend and assistant, Spike. Celestia sends her off to study the magic of friendship, and she isn't too enthusiastic, but ends up saving Equestria with her newfound friends. She becomes more confident as the show progresses, but still retains her habit of freaking out at the slightest worst-case scenario.
Twilight encounters many a villain, and many a challenge, but she powers through them with her friends and magic abilities, proceeding to the point where her mentor promotes her to--
THE END SPOILERS END HERE

So yeah, basically, a lot of people like it for its lessons, animation, story, all that.
Also, watch Party of One to see where that creepypasta spawned from.
---
and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out a
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me