Page 1 of 1
skill trees: skylanders vs DI
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#1 Posted: 00:21:26 15/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Ever since I heard that DI has introduced a complex skill tree for 2.0, my thought was that they've out done Skylanders. I'm starting to rethink that.

- DI 's trees have more options, but in reality, the controller has the same number of buttons for both games. The result is that you bought a figure, and you still can't access all the skills of that player. DI says that's a plus because you're spiderman will be different then your friend's. I don't see that way. Skylanders has two paths, so there is still some variation, but for the most part I'm not going to feel like I didn't get all that came with the character. I feel that DI really overplayed this.

- DI's characters are limited to where they can go. That's not a feature of the skill tree itself, but skills you can't use often are kinda useless skills.

- DI's characters will have less creative skills. Not a fault of the game designer, it's just that they are limited by the pre-existing character. You can't have a candy up-chucking skill with any of the DI characters because it makes no sense with the material they have to work with. You can't even have rocket raccoon have a 'dump over a trash can' move, because it doesn't make sense for his character. But Skylanders can make a ninja skunk with a poisonous stench

- As I understand it, the 1.0 characters will also have skill trees. That means, if I already have a bunch of 1.0 figures, I am going to have a bunch of new features with what I already have. Great for me (although I won't be able to do much with those skills) since I'll have a bunch of new/old toys to play with on day 1 and won't feel the need to buy more on day 1.. Bad for DI, since I won't feel the need to buy right away. I see this more as an error of 1.0, the lack of skill tress. They really had to do trees for 2.0 in order to compete.

- DI does have an advantage with character recognition, so kids (and parents) are going to tend to feel better about iron man's skills then are about wallops.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#2 Posted: 01:08:51 15/08/2014
DI still has the same old tired pay 14 bucks for figures that can only play in 1 mode of the game (ie Toy Box). I see it with Stitch and Tinkerbell in 2.0. Even though Skylanders might be heading for some flawed choices, it still beats DI.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#3 Posted: 16:50:00 15/08/2014
Oh I can't lie, skill trees are a big turn on for me. For a while I've felt as though they need to find a way to expand the upgrade options. I know they want to keep the simplicity at a certain level, so no parts of me is expecting it or even irritated that skylanders don't have them, but...

You know, without getting too much into it, maybe Activision should look into expanding the concept for older audience and allow for a more complex system.

Not going to happen though.
- Unreall
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#4 Posted: 17:24:38 15/08/2014
If they did a simple skill tree to bump the stats that heroics used to do would be great in my opinion.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#5 Posted: 18:47:31 15/08/2014
^This.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me