darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Tablet Gameplay?! That is quite amazing
Page 1 of 1
Tablet Gameplay?! That is quite amazing [CLOSED]
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#1 Posted: 17:03:40 12/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Well that is certainly interesting. Apparently for Tablets and other Android devices you can get a version of trap team which can be played with a new remote or even touch screen.
Also apparently you can also register 2 skylanders and traps into it so you don't have to carry the portal and figures around. Also the controller fits neatly into the new portal which is of course fully compatible with all skylanders and traps.

What do you guys think of the Tablet Version?
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#2 Posted: 17:12:24 12/08/2014
I will try the free limited version when it hits Google Play. That part is a smart move that may help sell the traditional console game packs more too.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
stealth Yellow Sparx Gems: 1040
#3 Posted: 17:16:48 12/08/2014
Honestly, I love it. I always wanted something this intense for my beautiful little ipad. Wondering if the controller that comes with it will work with other games (like MH).
Only downside is same characters, and I can't imagine the battery life is huge.
I'll still be getting Wii U first.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#4 Posted: 19:07:29 12/08/2014
So, again, to the naysayers re: dedicated handheld game devices. It may be arriving sooner than you think.

Technically, a great achievement. I'm very curious how big the binary is, my goodness the top end size tablet is going to be required.

A bit of a bust on the real information side, but this is a great strategic move for them. This is a lot of software to be pushing out every year.

I'm curious if they've ported this as a VM type solution of one of the console versions, or is this native to the platform.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:10:05 12/08/2014 by GhostRoaster
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#5 Posted: 19:13:10 12/08/2014
Yes the footprint is going to be huge, battle grounds is 1.2 gig and it is a fraction of what would be needed for a full game. I'd say 4-5 gig at least for STT.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#6 Posted: 19:20:44 12/08/2014
Ill be picking this up and the Xbox 360 Dark Edition so I don't get two of the same game!
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
#7 Posted: 20:05:58 12/08/2014
But you are getting two of the same game, it's the exact same game just on another platform.
---
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#8 Posted: 21:30:16 12/08/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
So, again, to the naysayers re: dedicated handheld game devices. It may be arriving sooner than you think.

The whole point of that was not for Nintendo. At best, as I said before, Nintendo will make a new handheld with phone like capabilities.
#9 Posted: 21:37:19 12/08/2014
I don't doubt it. Phones are becoming tablets now and form factor seems to ebb and flow with the whims of the market. Making a handheld gaming device that also incorporates WiFi skype or some other tool without a paid service would be a great boon to parents who refuse to pay for phone service.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:38:08 12/08/2014 by GhostRoaster
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#10 Posted: 00:22:40 13/08/2014
I wonder if this is the big risk everyone was looking for. No, it's not a risk in terms of gameplay, but certainly a first. I can see this actually hurting sales a figures a bit, because kids are not likely to take a ton of figures mobile. At the same time, parents are going to be pressured to buy more then one mobile version, one for each kid. That thought did cross my mind, since I have 2 players (not counting myself).

The other thoughts...
- As already mentioned, this is going to be a resource hog on a tablet, in terms of battery and storage space.
- Perhaps it might require internet access to play, not just download. That could reduce the storage size, but would greatly reduce the usefulness.
- Customers are much more likely to buy a tablet and console version then they are to buy two console versions.
- There's no way I'm buying the tablet version day 1. However, if the game has a lot of replay ability, then there is a good chance I'll get the tablet version on black friday.
- This is going to help kill the need for making a wii version next go round.
- Because this is essentially a one player game, this is going to create a strong push for online game play, at least within the tablet version. And 2-4 player sessions with 2 on the console, and 2 on tablets would be a great experience.
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#11 Posted: 01:34:26 13/08/2014
this will be fun i hope its priced lower than the home consoles. mabey around the same price of the portable starter packs?
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#12 Posted: 01:45:58 13/08/2014
Quote: shroom boom
this will be fun i hope its priced lower than the home consoles. mabey around the same price of the portable starter packs?

It's been said it's the same price as the main version. But, to be fair, it is exactly the same. You get the same figures, same portal and the same copy of the same piece of software. But, they're squeezing the extra cash out of you because it comes with the fancy controller
#13 Posted: 01:54:30 13/08/2014
I have to admit, the tablet version is tempting as a companion to the console version. I could see people abandon 3DS altogether and go for the console + tablet version. I'm betting that's what they are betting...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:55:05 13/08/2014 by GhostRoaster
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#14 Posted: 01:56:06 13/08/2014 | Topic Creator
I am going to lock this, there are better threads then mine for this discussion
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
pennyman Gold Sparx Gems: 2106
#15 Posted: 07:46:18 13/08/2014
Reading comics - as for the size - the game will mostly be stored in the cloud with a quick download/stream of the level you select playable -- from what I saw hands on it all moved pretty smooth -- hopefully ya'll have already seen my video presentation?
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#16 Posted: 11:55:16 13/08/2014
GhostRoaster:
Why do you think people would go for console + tablet (aka two versions of the exact same game) instead of console + 3DS (two completely different games)? I can't really picture any 3DS players saying "hey, let me buy another copy of the console game instead of the unique 3DS version"...

Besides, considering that they've continued making 3DS games for four years now, I assume they've all been making a profit (otherwise it would surely just be dropped and forgotten like the PC version, or just silently ignored like the Vita), so it wouldn't make sense to abandon the 3DS from a business POV either...

I don't really understand your thought process here, unless it's just general pessimism. :/
#17 Posted: 12:21:42 13/08/2014
Quote: pennyman
Reading comics - as for the size - the game will mostly be stored in the cloud with a quick download/stream of the level you select playable -- from what I saw hands on it all moved pretty smooth -- hopefully ya'll have already seen my video presentation?

Well that will suck for someone in a car with a wifi only tablet and even if you have a 4G version you'll blow through data like crazy.
---
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#18 Posted: 14:35:43 13/08/2014
If the controller works for more games, there's actually a chance of me buying this.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#19 Posted: 14:52:54 13/08/2014
the game will mostly be stored in the cloud with a quick download/stream of the level you select playable

Boooo! Well, thanks for letting us know.
#20 Posted: 15:02:20 13/08/2014
Just so everyone's in the know, there's no speaker in the tablet portal, mainly to preserve battery life. They are however doing tricks to the sounds to make it appear it's coming from the portal.
---
#21 Posted: 15:08:37 13/08/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives
the game will mostly be stored in the cloud with a quick download/stream of the level you select playable

Boooo! Well, thanks for letting us know.

Yeah quick download/stream is extremely relative:

In the car with no wifi = doesn't work

In the car with 3G = Pretty slow and will destroy your data plan

In the car with 4G = A bit faster and still will destroy your data plan

At home on wifi = Depends on your DSL/Broadband connection speed but is probably pretty speedy so less "buffering" time
---
#22 Posted: 15:09:35 13/08/2014
This is DEFINITELY a game (even the demo version) where you want to download on WiFi. Even with the home WiFi and the data plan limits now being applied to it (at least in the US) that's about a 2% hit towards the total assuming a 250GB limit.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:11:27 13/08/2014 by GhostRoaster
#23 Posted: 15:16:09 13/08/2014
It's a double edged sword, you either take up a third+ of your local storage with a full download or you do the "quick download/stream" thing and are tied to having wifi which defeats the point of having it on a mobile platform.
---
nocturnalnathan Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#24 Posted: 18:12:53 13/08/2014
Honestly, this makes me worried. Trap Team is supposed to be a big, HD game with quite a few huge levels. I mean, how big can the game actually be if it's able to be crammed down into a mobile tablet game?
---
"Chicks dig giant robots"
#25 Posted: 19:10:16 13/08/2014
You haven't been playing the same game I have. Content that supports re-playability and breadth isn't its strong suit. Expect levels in this game to be on par with the Giants length. ~5 min per level if speed running.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me