Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Are we too old for this?
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#1 Posted: 18:46:35 04/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Well Im 13. I just see everyone else being like 5 years old and buying it. It makes looking for skylanders a bit embarrassing. How old do you think You should be to buy skylanders?...
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#2 Posted: 18:52:26 04/08/2014
Nah, there are plenty of adult collectors on here.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#3 Posted: 18:56:13 04/08/2014
It is 7+ or E for everyone so we are never to old.
---
TTD Hunter Gems: 6253
#4 Posted: 19:07:13 04/08/2014
Nah, I play a game for entertainment, I don't really care what it is rated. I play Mario Kart, next minute I'm playing Assassin's Creed then the next an hour later I'm playing skylanders. Just play whatever you enjoy.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:46:43 04/08/2014 by TTD
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#5 Posted: 19:38:05 04/08/2014
Even though it's a bit embarrassing when you are at Walmart in the Skylanders isle and a kid from school is there watching you dig through a mountain Skylander boxes, I will always play the game for my own enjoyment.
---
A story.
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#6 Posted: 19:38:26 04/08/2014
Although there are definitely times when one can be too young for something, I don't think there's anything at all you could ever be too old for. In fact, your problem seems like one that would be easier to deal with when you grow older and realize that there's nothing to be embarrassed about. :)
legendaryfabo Gold Sparx Gems: 2968
#7 Posted: 19:39:53 04/08/2014
Quote: Badwolfmichael
Well Im 13. I just see everyone else being like 5 years old and buying it. It makes looking for skylanders a bit embarrassing. How old do you think You should be to buy skylanders?...

I know what you mean, I'm almost 15 and I feel a bit embarrassed at times, but if you enjoy it, then keep on it!
---
Hi
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#8 Posted: 19:41:18 04/08/2014
That's why I order online but once I saw a kid older than me at Smythstoys.
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#9 Posted: 19:43:28 04/08/2014
There is a range for games like this (and other games like Mario) where it is probably unwise to talk to the kids at school about Skylanders. I'd say from around 11 to 18 or so. The problem is it is human nature to bully other people, and playing games like that is considered a "low hanging fruit". It goes away about the time people reach college and realize that life is much more than being "popular" or liking the right bands, and how much Mom and Dad take care of so those previously seemed like the most important things in the world.

No, it isn't right, you should be proud to enjoy the things you enjoy (as long as they aren't illegal), but the teen years aren't well known for their logic or compassion. There are many kids (usually ones with not much on the ball other than being larger or more popular) who seek to segregate others based on minor differences and mock them. If you are willing and have the fortitude to put up with that for several years (I commend you if you are) then fine, otherwise no. Enjoy them by yourself, but don't expect a lot of understanding or interest from others your age. Teen years are all about learning rudimentary and exaggerated ideas of social structure, all mixed in with an overdose of hormones. It's just how it goes. I could tell you to go and enjoy them, be yourself and it will all be ok like the others here, but I would be lying. Being an adult is nothing like being a teenager.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#10 Posted: 19:44:52 04/08/2014
I'd say no...
But don't know really, if people continue to complain about the inutility of certain characters...
"They cost too much and are pointless".
I am 18 years old, almost 19, yet I managed to create a strong feeling, between my characters and me. I admit that sometimes, when I look at my older characters, like Gill Grunt or Eruptor, I smile like a kid, when I think about all the adventures we have been trought, and all the ones we will live in the future... smilie
I really love playing with all of them, experimenting their moves, and figuring out which character is better in which situation.
Skylanders is all about becoming kids again, if you are not already that young, and all that persons that put money and functionalities, before the gameplay or the feelings for a specific character, are probably just too old inside.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10064
#11 Posted: 20:01:19 04/08/2014
There definately isn't too old to like something if you honestly like it. Sure, there is too old to be so serious business about it, but it's hardly about an exact age and more about maturity. I still get hype like a little girl over some parts of the game and I have fun like I used to when I played with figures IRL back then, but I hardly talk about it with people that I know won't accept it, or insist that people who wouldn't ever be interested in it to try it out. You're always allowed to like something no matter the age,gender or anything, what changes is how you approach that and how you talk about it to other people if at all.

But this applies to pretty much every fandom in the history of forever. You can be a brony and gush over your best pony whenever you want and there's nothing wrong with it, but if you talk about that to haters or people who are annoyed by the fandom as a whole you're definately getting a bad response and there's nothing you can do to change that, for example.

tl;dr you can like skylanders or whatever no matter the age, just keep it where other people won't try to use it to insult you, physically or mentally.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#12 Posted: 20:14:53 04/08/2014
Honestly, we're all over the target demographic so, in that essence, yes.

But who really gives a ****, we are consumers and we should spend money on stuff that we like. So, lil 13 year old, don't worry.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8274
#13 Posted: 20:34:58 04/08/2014
Turned nineteen on the 27th and I love Skylanders. Who cares bout what people think of ya. Have fun and play the game!
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12794
#14 Posted: 21:22:42 04/08/2014
I'm 21 and I like Skylanders. I prefer platforming games with bright colourful graphics over shooting games with grey, realistic graphics. I always browse in toy shops on my own or with my boyfriend and we never feel embarrassed even when we're buying toys like Skylanders.
Skylander3112 Gold Sparx Gems: 2115
#15 Posted: 21:23:17 04/08/2014
I don't really care what people say. I'm 13 already and I still play Skylanders (to remind myself of the playtimes as a kid)
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#16 Posted: 21:26:56 04/08/2014
Both my wife and I are in our 30s. We both play the game. Never felt embarrassed. There are far worse things in life to worry about at my age.
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#17 Posted: 22:24:20 04/08/2014
13 isnt old actually... its the perfect age to play Skylanders (i started when i was 15 and i'm 18 now)
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3511
#18 Posted: 22:31:17 04/08/2014
They mainly target kids because kids like this stuff, but you don't have to feel embarrassed, as they also target people like us that like to collect things for fun. Half the fun of the game for me is the hunt, and not all kids are interested in getting all the chase variants, elites, etc. My point is they've made plenty of stuff for people like us, so don't feel ashamed you play this series. A funny quote I saw somewhere that can apply to this subject: "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Technos Green Sparx Gems: 159
#19 Posted: 22:35:44 04/08/2014
I'm 19 and I collect these guys for myself smilie

I put a lot of money towards them because I have a passion for collecting them. I don't really feel for buying other things for the most part.
---
Favorite skylanders of each element:
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:36:39 04/08/2014 by Technos
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#20 Posted: 22:36:57 04/08/2014
How can you be too old to have fun fun fun ?
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#21 Posted: 22:41:07 04/08/2014
Quote: Technos

I put a lot of money towards them because I have a passion for collecting them. I don't really feel for buying other things for the most part.

Same here. I haven't bought anything else since 2012.
---
A story.
flashwingftw Emerald Sparx Gems: 3332
#22 Posted: 22:58:39 04/08/2014

Usually I give 0 craps about what people think, but on the rare occasion of when I do get caught, I always drop the "Just doing some last minute shopping for my brother/little cousin's birthday."
---
The PinkPrint is on iTunes now! #TeamMinaj
Been here for 3 years and still can't figure out why half of the people are so damn rude.
R.I.P to my wallet
triggernut Emerald Sparx Gems: 3483
#23 Posted: 23:33:49 04/08/2014
I'm 33 and what you would call a casual gamer. I like simple games that can be turned on and turned off easily with a minimum amount of play that don't keep me from doing other things in the day cause I got to get to the next check point. I first got into skylanders with Spyro's Adventure to give me a way of connecting with my little nephew but now I'm in it for myself. It's a fun game, lots of interesting characters and I enjoy the whole physical toy collecting aspect as well.

I know at 13 what everyone else is doing and what is and isn't considered cool is a big deal. However you will find with time as you get older the only person whose opinion you really have to worry about is you. If you enjoy the game, then enjoy the game.
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#24 Posted: 23:50:24 04/08/2014
I see two factors at play for this.

1 - It's quite common for people, kids or adults, to play games instead of meeting their responsibilities. That could be work, family, school, social life, or just maturing. And it's not just games, it could sports, fishing, whatever that keeps you away from your responsibilities. So it doesn't matter how much gaming you do, as long as it doesn't come at a expense to what's important.

2 - Because this is common, people are naturally going to stereotype on first impressions. Therefore, I certainly don't make my gaming habits common knowledge. I'm 41 and single, the last impression I want to give is that I'm a man-child on a first date.
#25 Posted: 00:04:58 05/08/2014
The difference is that if you play sports most people aren't going to dump on them ("oh, you're just being active - good for you"!). However, being a gamer is still stigmatized heavily.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#26 Posted: 00:06:04 05/08/2014
You can never be too old to be a gamer, if you need an excuse just say.
"I buy it because it reminds me of the older spyro games and holds a slight nostalgic value"
It shuts most haters up
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#27 Posted: 00:07:09 05/08/2014
ORRRRR you could tell them to "suck it" because they aren't paying your bills and etc.
#28 Posted: 00:13:10 05/08/2014
Quote: Hexin_Wishes
ORRRRR you could tell them to "suck it" because they aren't paying your bills and etc.

That to, people really don't have a right to decide how you spend your cash. While some cases it is dumb like a 5 year old buying a Call of Duty game, most of the time their aren't really limits on what you can buy.

If you enjoy it and can afford it, go ahead and buy it. I have seen a couple cases of fellow Bronies buying MLP merchandise in stores and get ridiculed if they say it isn't for there daughter/sister/young cousin/etc.

Everyone has a right to buy whatever he or she wants
---
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10064
#29 Posted: 00:41:49 05/08/2014
Quote: Windumup
You can never be too old to be a gamer, if you need an excuse just say.
"I buy it because it reminds me of the older spyro games and holds a slight nostalgic value"
It shuts most haters up

Except if the person is a a diehard oldschool Spyro fan. There's a slight chance you might get a string of insults in response.

EDIT: Forgot it's not just Classic fans.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:42:21 05/08/2014 by Bifrost
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#30 Posted: 00:43:57 05/08/2014
Quote: GothamLord
Both my wife and I are in our 30s. We both play the game. Never felt embarrassed. There are far worse things in life to worry about at my age.

As defpally said, once outside of the "peer pressure years", this franchise can be enjoyed by anyone. Frankly, I don't care what anyone thinks of me...isn't that obvious? smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#31 Posted: 00:47:38 05/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Haha Thanks for all you guys answers! The reason I mostly said this is because the dialogue is so, well childish. smilie
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2753
#32 Posted: 01:03:38 05/08/2014
If someone you know sees you looking at the skylander section and says something like "OMG U LIEK SKYLANDURZ, TAHT B 4 BAYBEEZ!!!!!", just tell them to cry you a river, build a bridge, and get over it.
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#33 Posted: 01:32:02 05/08/2014
The difference is that if you play sports most people aren't going to dump on them ("oh, you're just being active - good for you"!). However, being a gamer is still stigmatized heavily.

To be fair though, sports is better for a person's personal development.
Epic popthorn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3277
#34 Posted: 02:00:07 05/08/2014
Quote: uttster13
Even though it's a bit embarrassing when you are at Walmart in the Skylanders isle and a kid from school is there watching you dig through a mountain Skylander boxes, I will always play the game for my own enjoyment.

This

Quote: uttster13
Quote: Technos

Same here. I haven't bought anything else since 2012.

And this.

I play the game because it's fun and unique. Although when people come to my house that aren't my closest friends and see my Skylanders, I just say they are my sisters, or if some kid I know see's me in the skylander section I just say that I am getting my sister a birthday present. I do this because I don't want to put up with the annoyance of people at school.

I don't really buy anything either, although I do get some transformer toys and nerf guns.
undeadmaster Gold Sparx Gems: 2126
#35 Posted: 02:16:55 05/08/2014
If you like the game, play it. If people make fun of you, you have your friends. If they make fun of you, you have bad friends. But what do I know I'm 10 and noone makes fun of me.
---
I probably won't be back for like a year.
#36 Posted: 02:22:27 05/08/2014
Haha Thanks for all you guys answers! The reason I mostly said this is because the dialogue is so, well childish. smilie

Bad theater can also be good entertainment. I never got into this franchise over the writing, though.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#37 Posted: 02:23:14 05/08/2014
You kids are adorable (sorry if there are any 20+ folks in here; I skimmed the topic). :D I'm 32 and I don't think anything of poking about in the toy isle or Skylanders section if I'm looking for something in a store. It's fun. I even helped a kid find one he was looking for when his parents didn't know what it was.

Being an adult means you can buy what you want and play with what you want regardless. If you care that much about "being too old" for anything, you're clearly not old enough yet. :D

I do avoid going into the Skylanders/toys sections by myself when kids are there alone, though. It's sort of respect thing; I don't want to scare them or make any nearby parents uncomfortable.
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#38 Posted: 02:32:53 05/08/2014
I help the kids and parents find the characters they are looking for, or help the poor confused parents just now getting sucked into the game(s) with the differences between Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

I generally dont think I would have a reason to scare children or make parents uncomfortable. I'm clean, I have normal clothes, I dont looks or act like a basement troll. I'm not offering to pick the kids up to get high hanging figures, I'll get them myself and hand them down to them its thats the case.

I end up with happy parents and excited kids. Half the time if I'm not in uniform people think I work at the store. smilie
#39 Posted: 03:38:58 05/08/2014
Quote: melvimbe

To be fair though, sports is better for a person's personal development.

AND this response is exactly the reason why no one is going to judge someone who is sporty. Someone who watches sports, maybe, but if they're actually playing hardly anyone judges them.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#40 Posted: 03:55:05 05/08/2014
Quote: GothamLord
I help the kids and parents find the characters they are looking for, or help the poor confused parents just now getting sucked into the game(s) with the differences between Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

I generally dont think I would have a reason to scare children or make parents uncomfortable. I'm clean, I have normal clothes, I dont looks or act like a basement troll. I'm not offering to pick the kids up to get high hanging figures, I'll get them myself and hand them down to them its thats the case.

I end up with happy parents and excited kids. Half the time if I'm not in uniform people think I work at the store. XD

Haha, I'm just incredibly paranoid; I shy away from being alone near anyone, kids or adults, as much for my own peace of mind as theirs. Now that I have a service dog, it's easier for me to be in close proximity to strange people.
stealth Yellow Sparx Gems: 1040
#41 Posted: 04:04:49 05/08/2014
I've helped parents pick out skylanders for their kids, and I'm not ashamed to play even as a college student.
It's just a game. Seriously, a GAME.
Also why do you guys blame it on your siblings or any other reason than the fact that, hey, you're allowed to like whatever game you want.
I own it, when people are like "You play skylanders?" I'm like "Heck yes, it's addictive and I love collecting cool figures." I've even had a few friends interested in trying it out.

Also, trust me no one is judging a 13 year old for buying toys. People expect that. You're still a child, heck even I'm still a child despite being ~technically~ an adult.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#42 Posted: 04:09:39 05/08/2014
I use to be like this. There's nothing wrong with liking things made for kids, the point is that the game is fun for you. If people are giving you weird looks just ignore them and move on.

The only time I got weird looks was a day at Toys R Us when I was looking for an air SSA Skylander. A father and his son looked at me while I glanced over the figure and where I live it's kind of weird for a teenager(especially of my race [User Posted Image]) to like videogames such as Skylanders.

That's why I mostly go to Bedt Buy, Walmart, and Target for Skylanders. Everyone's more open there for me. Even the Target cashier asked me when Giants was coming out.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#43 Posted: 04:50:22 05/08/2014
For the most part, you are never too old to like anything and as long as you like it, then there should be no question about it. Many people tend to like things that may seem to childish for them to like, but that doesn't stop them from liking it. In the end, if you like it that much, it should be OK no matter what anyone else says about it.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#44 Posted: 05:56:09 05/08/2014
I helped quite a few parents last Christmas when folks were looking for the Wave 3 stuff. Folks thought I worked there.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:57:20 05/08/2014 by GhostRoaster
#45 Posted: 06:17:44 05/08/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
I helped quite a few parents last Christmas when folks were looking for the Wave 3 stuff. Folks thought I worked there.

This

I have helped a couple parents and one grand parent around the holidays who didn't know what figure there son/daughter wanted and provide useful tips. Heck since it was the holidays one of them decided to buy me a skylander just for helping them find the ones their son/daughter wanted. (Legendary Lightcore Chill <3)
Don't look at being older as a handicap towards video games, just think of it as being wiser and more likely to lend good advice to parents who don't know better.
---
Jeriba Yellow Sparx Gems: 1168
#46 Posted: 06:18:25 05/08/2014
I'am above thirty and I like videogames. But I like to play games from different genres. Not just shooters or other action-stuff. So how I like movies from different genres. I think I will be never to old for games like this smilie.
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#47 Posted: 07:42:56 05/08/2014
You're never too old for skylanders. I am 22.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Jeriba Yellow Sparx Gems: 1168
#48 Posted: 12:11:28 05/08/2014
You're right smilie! English is not my first language.
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#49 Posted: 12:38:15 05/08/2014
Quote: triggernut
I'm 33 and what you would call a casual gamer. I like simple games that can be turned on and turned off easily with a minimum amount of play that don't keep me from doing other things in the day cause I got to get to the next check point. I first got into skylanders with Spyro's Adventure to give me a way of connecting with my little nephew but now I'm in it for myself. It's a fun game, lots of interesting characters and I enjoy the whole physical toy collecting aspect as well.

I know at 13 what everyone else is doing and what is and isn't considered cool is a big deal. However you will find with time as you get older the only person whose opinion you really have to worry about is you. If you enjoy the game, then enjoy the game.

This. This. This.

I had/have this issue of compulsively obsessing over completing something. It got the point that in college I adopted the 15-30 minute rule. I was NOT allowed to engage in anything that I could not pick up, play and enjoy in 15-30 minute chunks. This meant I dropped RPGs entirely, and was left with fighting games, puzzles, and sports games (anime was kicked to the curb until breaks also, thank god Netflix wasn't around yet).

That was 00-05, since then (now 33) I've got a wife, a 3 year old, and a demanding full time job along with a amateur music career.

I don't have the TIME anymore to play CoD, learning the ins and out of every gun, all the spots on every map, and what he current trends are to defend/counter them. I don't have time to be competitive in UMvC3 (though I play it all the time on the Vita) as the engine can get REAL deep.

With Skylanders though? Yeah it's weird and yeah I've gotten stares looking at the figures (I'm a 6'6" black guy on top of everything) and talking with kids and adults about them in a capacity they wouldn't expect me to have, but the game is EASY. I put the figure on and jump or shoot my way to oblivion. There are no tricks, its simple. My 3 year old can actually watch me play without me worrying about foul language or nudity or monsters that will give him nightmares. It's simple enough that my wife can play, she can pick someone she likes (Trigger Happy) and play something with me. And if she dies? So what, we've got a bunch of other figures to throw on.

So am I too old, 'meh', a littloe bit - as mentioned, def not the target audience (though I have way more money than 7 year olds haha), but I'm OK with that as the game falls in line with what I feel comfortable playing these days (though I have been sneaking in DmC lately hehe)
- Unreall
FreezeBlade98 Blue Sparx Gems: 938
#50 Posted: 13:18:50 05/08/2014
I'm 15 and love skylanders so much.
---
Best Trap Masters: smilie smilie smilie
Best villains: smilie smilie Tae Cwan Crow
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me