Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
How Many Traps?
SkylandersEzra Emerald Sparx Gems: 3666
#1 Posted: 18:13:17 26/07/2014 | Topic Creator
So you'll naturally get 2 Traps in the Starter Pack (or 3 if you get the Dark Starter)...

How many additional Traps do you plan on purchasing?
Toynerd14 Ripto Gems: 95
#2 Posted: 18:15:03 26/07/2014
1 of each element. Maybe even more depending on if I really like the villains
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#3 Posted: 18:25:18 26/07/2014
I know we've asked the same question since day 1, but do we need more than 1 trap while catching more than four villains? I'm just curious to how many traps we require while capturing villains of a specific element. For example, one or two Undead Traps while catching Undead Villains?
#4 Posted: 18:29:51 26/07/2014
Quote: TheShadowDragon
I know we've asked the same question since day 1, but do we need more than 1 trap while catching more than four villains? I'm just curious to how many traps we require while capturing villains of a specific element. For example, one or two Undead Traps while catching Undead Villains?

You only need ONE trap of a specific element to capture a villain of the same element. If you want to PLAY as MULTIPLE villains, you need more than one trap to trap and play as all of the villains. One trap per villain.
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#5 Posted: 18:38:35 26/07/2014
I'll try to get one of each design, which looks like 14 (strange number, considering the constant multiples of 8 we've had in the games so far) at the moment, but hopefully 16 total so I can have 2 designs in each element.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Technos Green Sparx Gems: 159
#6 Posted: 19:41:20 26/07/2014
Pretty much enough traps to hold all the villains in the game simultaneously. But I don't want each element to have two more more of the same model so that I know which villain is inside. I also want to go for the ultimate Kaos trap. Assuming there are 48 total villains, which is my guess after paying attention to the starter's trap box, I will have 50 traps total.

Whenever I get the Kaos trap. I will save it for my final trap to fill after collecting and trapping all other villains. But assuming the Ultimate Kaos Trap has a special feature, I'll save it for a grand finale after holding not just the villains but collecting all the trap masters and fully upgrading them. I know it's not required but I would like to do that.
---
Favorite skylanders of each element:
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#7 Posted: 20:10:27 26/07/2014
Well, I personally will start off by buying one of each (including life, because I hate the Water Tiki and Life Hammer), and the Kaos Trap
---
#hu
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#8 Posted: 20:38:10 26/07/2014
Enough to hold all villains in their own trap and not have any duplicates.
---
now its time to get funky
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#9 Posted: 20:59:58 26/07/2014
Maybe 1 for each element. But so far, I'm definitely getting an Undead trap for Wolfgang, a Magic trap for Painyatta and the Kaos trap.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:28:28 27/07/2014 by alicecarp
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#10 Posted: 21:12:26 26/07/2014
For now at least one of each element and the Kaos trap. I might get more depending on how I like this feature, which I might since I like villains.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#11 Posted: 23:40:59 26/07/2014
One of each element + the Ultimate Kaos Trap. If I really like more than one villain out of the same element and hate switching them, I may buy one or two extra sculpts.
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#12 Posted: 23:41:41 26/07/2014
1 of each element. Depending on sales and which villains become favorites, a few more could happen. I don't feel like I'll need each design, or enough to hold every villain. These don't feel like collectors items to me.
min8or Yellow Sparx Gems: 1030
#13 Posted: 00:03:59 27/07/2014
i'll be getting one of each design to start with.

Then depending on if they register in game, and if so, how they register in game, and then if they do anything in the next game, (not necessarily trapping, maybe elemental bonus or something) i might get all the different design/element combinations.
---
271figures+11Vehicles+55Traps(+Outlaw,Riot,Steamed,Rebel,Steampunk)+38Magic Items
TrapTeamNeeded:Life and Water Minis (s2)
#14 Posted: 01:35:04 27/07/2014
Is it possible to actually empty out one Trap with a captured villain inside into the Villain Vault at the Skylander's Academy, and allowing it to be used more than once against trappable bad guys? For instance, I just captured Painyatta with a Magic Skull Trap, but then I put him in the vault. Later, I face Rage Mage and used the same Magic Trap to capture him.
#15 Posted: 01:37:08 27/07/2014
Is it possible to actually empty out one Trap with a captured villain inside into the Villain Vault at the Skylander's Academy, and allowing it to be used more than once against trappable bad guys? For instance, I just captured Painyatta with a Magic Skull Trap, but then I put him in the vault. Later, I face Rage Mage and used the same Magic Trap to capture him.

Yeah, you can actually do that with the villain still in the trap.
#16 Posted: 01:42:53 27/07/2014

that is one of the things that we have been getting mixed answers to.
we do know you can replace a trapped bad guy if there is already one in a trap, to use your example; you've already got Painyatta on your Magic Skull Trap, when you put the trap in to capture Rage Mage, the game asks if you want to replace Painyatta with Rage Mage.

now whether you "lose" Painyatta, and have to re-capture and "upgrade" him again or he is just sent back to the villain vault is what is unclear.
---
271figures+11Vehicles+55Traps(+Outlaw,Riot,Steamed,Rebel,Steampunk)+38Magic Items
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#17 Posted: 02:13:24 27/07/2014
Quote: min8or

that is one of the things that we have been getting mixed answers to.
we do know you can replace a trapped bad guy if there is already one in a trap, to use your example; you've already got Painyatta on your Magic Skull Trap, when you put the trap in to capture Rage Mage, the game asks if you want to replace Painyatta with Rage Mage.

now whether you "lose" Painyatta, and have to re-capture and "upgrade" him again or he is just sent back to the villain vault is what is unclear.

It's gotta be getting sent to the villain vault. Why would they make you have to recapture them like that anyway? That would be changing the plot (assuming they're all captured and everything's happy in the end) and just plain cruel if you have to do their quest all over again.
#18 Posted: 02:21:50 27/07/2014
in some of the interviews, from E3 i believe, they were talking about "going back and re-trapping villains" and with reference to the vault, they only spoke about it being used if you didn't have the right elemental trap.

hopefully you are correct, and they are just being sent back to the vault, its just one of the many gameplay aspects we're in the dark on.
---
GIANTSRULE Yellow Sparx Gems: 1660
#19 Posted: 09:55:16 27/07/2014
What would happen if you made a new save on nightmare and captured villians would they not be in the traps because its a new save

But also what if you wanted to replay levels and say you captured the chompy mage again what would happen to who ever is in that life trap or would it just give u a new reset chompy mage or maybe when you ready to capture the chompy mage again it might not let you.

can u have two chompy mages both in seperate life traps or just one?

Or maybe you just capture him again but it has all its upgrades still you put on him
---
"Taking Charge"
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 10:01:31 27/07/2014 by GIANTSRULE
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#20 Posted: 11:09:05 27/07/2014
2 of each Element.
ShaneK Yellow Sparx Gems: 1736
#21 Posted: 11:36:40 27/07/2014
[User Posted Image]

Appears to be 6x8 = 48

We will be buying 6 extra

Edit: Credit to StrikerCamo
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:40:40 27/07/2014 by ShaneK
#22 Posted: 11:42:00 27/07/2014
Theres 6 Villians in each element so thats 48 Villians all together and the special ones like riot shield shredder comes in a life torch trap which means you then wont have to buy another life trap because you can use that one to capture any other life villians and put riot shield shredder in the villian vault

Also will the variant villians be on that box because i cant see riot shield shredder but still it is just a life torch trap which you can then use to capture other life villians
---
"Taking Charge"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:44:08 27/07/2014 by GIANTSRULE
#23 Posted: 12:49:43 27/07/2014
My understanding was that the sculpts are not really for trapping the villains right after you defeat them. When you defeat a villain, they go right the vault for that saved game. If you want to play the villain, you need to transfer them to your sculpt. In this way, you can trap a undead villain to the vault, even if you don't own an undead sculpt...you just can't play as that villain. You can take a villain sculpt to a friends house (or a new saved game on your console) and play as him/her there, but the villain won't go to your friend's vault.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't play as a newly trapped villain until you complete the level you defeated him on, and then transfer him to a sculpt from the vault back at the hub.

Not sure where I got this information from, perhaps it's just what I'm assuming.
#24 Posted: 13:04:23 27/07/2014
^
If you have the appropriate trap you can trap a defeated villain immediately and then play with him for the rest of the level.
#25 Posted: 13:11:40 27/07/2014
What happens if you put that villian into your friends vault at his house how would get it back
---
"Taking Charge"
#26 Posted: 13:20:11 27/07/2014
^
We're not sure about that, but there was talk of "losing" a villain, and maybe this is it.

Of course if it did happen this way (which I doubt), you could always recapture him on the original level.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#27 Posted: 13:35:50 27/07/2014
Well, one possible way of preventing the loss of a villain is to deposit the villain in your trap before you bring it over. But if you still want to play with it, and there is a villain in your friends game that is the same element that can be captured, the voice would say "This trap belongs to another Portal Master. Would you like to take ownership of it?" and a prompt appears on the screen. If you don't take ownership of it, it would say "Please put another trap into the portal.". That could be one way. They could safeguard the traps to make sure that you wouldn't lose a villain when capturing or even switching out. But that is just one of my ways.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
skylanderkids Yellow Sparx Gems: 1999
#28 Posted: 14:11:05 27/07/2014
By the looks of it, Crosscrow is indeed a Water villain. smilie
---
youtube.com/theskylanderboy
facebook.com/skylanderkids
Failinhearts Gold Sparx Gems: 2376
#29 Posted: 14:18:40 27/07/2014
Probably enough to fill the trap box included in the starter pack.
---
SSA: 37/37. SG: 61/62. SSF: 73/75 STT: 42/78
Have left this forum, who knows if I'll come back...
A believer of Jesus Christ
stealth Yellow Sparx Gems: 1040
#30 Posted: 15:58:53 27/07/2014
I'm getting one of each element, I already have in mind what molds for each. Not getting Kaos trap, never was interested by him.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:00:25 27/07/2014 by stealth
#31 Posted: 02:29:50 28/07/2014
I intend to get the Kaos Trap, both in original and Ultimate versions. I like how the Kaos Trap looks like, especially since black is my most favorite color. I can hardly believe it will be sold in limited quantities.
WolfGang99 Blue Sparx Gems: 602
#32 Posted: 19:49:41 30/07/2014
I plan on getting the Kaos trap and a trap for every villain. Even the variants.
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#33 Posted: 20:00:11 30/07/2014
So if traps cannot be used in Skylanders 5, does that change wanting to buy so many traps? Just curious, because it does for me.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#34 Posted: 20:20:51 30/07/2014
The forward capability of the traps should and will affect the purchasing habits of a lot of people. Parents and kids that dont get online and check things on the game will clearly be the ones that dont end up changing their spending habits. More informed consumers however will respond accordingly.
DM235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1678
#35 Posted: 20:46:08 30/07/2014
Quote: GothamLord
The forward capability of the traps should and will affect the purchasing habits of a lot of people. Parents and kids that dont get online and check things on the game will clearly be the ones that dont end up changing their spending habits. More informed consumers however will respond accordingly.

And that is why I am thinking of holding off buying Trap Team until this can be confirmed. I don't want to spend $100 on Traps if they will not provide much value beyond Trap Team. At least with the toys, my kids can still play with them outside of the game. The traps are not interesting toys.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:47:13 30/07/2014 by DM235
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#36 Posted: 21:00:19 30/07/2014
I will buy one of each type at the beginning. Beyond that....meh... I've already set my limit for traps at 2 of each element regardless of the outcome right now on forward capability. I dont have any issue reducing it down to one each. My wallet would be grateful, thats for sure. I've already decided I'm not doing anything beyond Series 2 on existing characters. I'm mostly done with the reposes if I can help it. I dont really think I'll have much interest in playing random mob type characters like Buzzer Beak or a Chompy. Characters like Wolfgang and Chompy Mage on the other hand at least actually seem to be characters.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#37 Posted: 22:11:09 30/07/2014
At least one of each element... and probably more if I like specific villains....
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#38 Posted: 22:42:38 30/07/2014
Quote: Zylek
So if traps cannot be used in Skylanders 5, does that change wanting to buy so many traps? Just curious, because it does for me.

It will mean the difference between keeping with starter only traps (and not indulging), buying one for each element so you can at least TRY all the villains, or buying one for each villain for the hardcores. That's where I see the line drawn for most. Knowing they don't work in future versions will cost Activision about 40 traps per customer or about $240 US dollars. Add that up to a million customers and that's 2.4 billion of potential revenue on the line. That's reason for them to not say anything and deal with the repercussions on the next one.

I'm sure that's overly optimistic but I don't think $250-$400 million in lost revenue would not be out of the question, as I don't think many families are going to "go for" one trap per villain regardless of future compatibility. I guess if that's the case then this is an elitist conversation and we're all just huffing and puffing and they don't care because they crunched the numbers.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 22:46:06 30/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
#39 Posted: 22:44:02 30/07/2014
Quote: Zylek

I'll be getting one of each of the different trap designs to start with, spread as evenly as i can over the different elements.

If i'm getting more will be determined by a couple of factors

*Do they register in game? if so, how? are they just registered as "Fire Trap" or do they register as "Fire Torch Trap"
*How the villain vault works. are the villains able to be deposited and withdrawn without losing their upgrades, or do you lose them once they are removed from the trap.
*How they actually look in my display and how they feel in hand, i'll determine this with what i get to start with.
*lastly, whether they'll function in the next game, not necessarily trapping, maybe elemental bonus or something

one of the positives, i feel, is that the price is relatively low for these, so i'll probably end up grabbing an extra one or two between wave releases.
---
Epicscratch42 Green Sparx Gems: 328
#40 Posted: 23:38:42 30/07/2014
I'll probably end up getting just one of each element that doesn't already come in the starter pack.
---
Tuff Luck and Scratch are the best Skylanders ever! smilie smilie
smilie smilie smilie smilie
Technos Green Sparx Gems: 159
#41 Posted: 00:10:19 31/07/2014
I did some more thinking for my trap collection. After noticing the ultimate kaos trap is just a chase variant, I no longer wanted the dark pack. As for other variants, I'm not going to rely on collecting them. Just all the non-variant stuff to my trap collection.

Since the Kaos trap will release on Day 1 with a low supply, I'll buy it and will leave the box unopened until I have all villains in hand. Only then will I plug the kaos trap in my box and play as him as a reward for my hard work!
---
Favorite skylanders of each element:
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:10:40 31/07/2014 by Technos
YerMomsFaceHere Blue Sparx Gems: 839
#42 Posted: 00:10:59 31/07/2014
Only one of each element for me.....will be no use in the next game. Besides, the tougher bosses/villains are nearer the end of the game ( at least most games work that way ) why would you want a first level villain that has meager stats and such when towards the end you find "villain X" whose stats are superior than those before.
---
Sugar momma's , look no further!
Traptanium Green Sparx Gems: 365
#43 Posted: 00:31:40 31/07/2014
I may try to get one per villain but at the moment it looks likr 4 from each elemant ) + kaos including the starter pack,
YerMomsFaceHere Blue Sparx Gems: 839
#44 Posted: 05:38:16 31/07/2014
Quote: Traptanium
I may try to get one per villain but at the moment it looks likr 4 from each elemant ) + kaos including the starter pack,

4 from each element = 32 villains.......why stop there? There's only 40 villains total.
---
Sugar momma's , look no further!
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#45 Posted: 06:07:10 31/07/2014
40+. I'm thinking 48 not including variants.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#46 Posted: 10:54:26 31/07/2014
How many people planning on buying sculpts as they come out, till they reach their goal/limit? I don't think that's what the average customer is going to do. I think they pick up a new one randomly when they're out buying something else at Walmart/Target. Like power discs, I think the market for this is impulse buys. I think little Jimmy saves up his $5 to buy these one at a time. I think Mom buys this so little Jimmy stops begging for it. It's only $5.

I say I'll get one of each, but, like I've started to do with power discs, is I pick up one from TRU when visited there, found nothing I like but don't want to leave empty handed for some reason. Even when I do get a figure or something, I may add on a sculpt...because it's only $5 more, right?

And it's because of this, that I think consumers will not spend too much time thinking about the money invested if traps aren't going to be in skylanders 5. At the same time, I think Activision will include traps in S5, because they're turning away money if they don't. They could come up with some other $5 gimmick to capture the impulse buy, but I it will easier and probably just as profitable to just add 8/16 more villains with 8/16 more sculpt designs. As I say that though, I remember they are also throwing sidekicks out there this time around. Maybe they don't need traps for the impulse shopper.
#47 Posted: 14:28:19 31/07/2014
Quote: YerMomsFaceHere
Quote: Traptanium

4 from each element = 32 villains.......why stop there? There's only 40 villains total.

No, there are six villains per element. I may get one for villain but it depends what I can end up affording, and christmas will play a part.
Lock Red Sparx Gems: 14
#48 Posted: 14:52:03 31/07/2014
Why on earth would you need one for each villian!

I bet most of you rarely play through a stage with more than 6 Skylanders tops.

You can just select one of each element and play as every villian in the entire game.

Unless you are a "collector", if so then go nuts lol
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#49 Posted: 14:55:43 31/07/2014
One per villain would be over $290 alone... Just on traps. That's $290 that you've spent on something that, unlike regular Skylanders, you won't be able to use in future games.
#50 Posted: 15:04:40 31/07/2014
Did they confirm you can't use them in the future?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me