Page 1 of 1
Kid Mode?
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#1 Posted: 13:29:54 18/06/2014 | Topic Creator
So my son plays Skylanders, he is admittedly kind of young (just turned 3 a couple months ago).

Since we have so many figures (everything for all 3 entries minus reposes), he can play without concern really for dying, so I can work on 'my adult stuff' and let him play with out my focus. The problem though, is there have bee a couple times where he's almost erased a character. I doubt it would ever come, but I'd LOVE if they implemented some kind of 'lock' for character resets with a quicker way of changing hats. In general, it would be great i they could find a way to tune/variant the game to be safer for younger kids...easier to navigate jumping sections, protection from causing the game irreversible harm, etc.

Could be just me though.
- Unreall
LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#2 Posted: 13:41:32 18/06/2014
Not to be a hater but, well, the game is rated 10+ and figures 6+.
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#3 Posted: 13:47:30 18/06/2014
Quote: LloydDXZX

Your point? Think about how many kids play COD, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Borderlands, etc. This is a kids game and I think that there does need to be love for the really little kids that play it. Most of the Skylander ads that have kids in it are kids that look younger than 10.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
Dyno-Mite Ripto Gems: 92
#4 Posted: 14:29:48 18/06/2014
Quote: ninja9351

Your point? Think about how many kids play COD, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Borderlands, etc. This is a kids game and I think that there does need to be love for the really little kids that play it. Most of the Skylander ads that have kids in it are kids that look younger than 10.

The game's target audience (5-12) is the wrong direction, the games are rated E10+ which means that parents should be well aware that their child can really mess up the figures, I know when I was a three year old I was deleting game files and throwing toys at walls.
Whale117 Green Sparx Gems: 110
#5 Posted: 14:47:28 18/06/2014
Why not buy him his own skylanders figure so whatever he does to it dosnt matter to you?
---
"BLINK AND DESTROY"-smilie
"FRUIT PUNCH"-smilie
"ALL WOUND UP"-smilie
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#6 Posted: 14:49:06 18/06/2014
Quote: Whale117
Why not buy him his own skylanders figure so whatever he does to it dosnt matter to you?

*answers for*
Expensive.
LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#7 Posted: 15:42:50 18/06/2014

I knew I would've receive a lot of bad comments. Sorry for my comment smilie

Quote: Whale117

That would be a great idea.
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#8 Posted: 15:47:58 18/06/2014
How about buying a controller for him and then removing the "Option" button. If he can't pause the game he can't get into the skylanders menu to change the data.

You're right... a kid mode would be easier. but hey, look on the bright side, in a couple of years he will be better at upgrading the character than you.
#9 Posted: 19:30:25 18/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Buying his own figures doesn't work, at least with our current setup, all that happens is he mixes them in with the family's figures. (I've given him various series 1s so I can track where they are and sure enough I see two Drill Seargents' on my shelf or a series 1 trigger happy)

I fully understand the rating of the game, I'm not complaining about anything currently in the game either, it would just be something that's nice. It would be akin to how modern day fighting game controllers have not only moved the start and select button to the back of the joysticks to prevent accidental presses during any mashing (even though you shouldn't be mashing in the first place) and have a 'lock switch' to prevent accidental presses of the joystick options and home buttons. If you are old enough to spend $200 on a joystick for Killer Instinct, it shouldn't be an issue accidentally pressing those buttons, but it happens.

This is hte same thing to me. I'm not complaining nor saying anything is wrong, just a 'lock' feature of sorts would be great. I mean - Damadness is right that in a couple years, it will be a null and void issue, but of course my wife is currently pregnant with #2 so the cycle will rear its head again and I'll possibly have a younger brother or sister trying to imitate their older brother and playing the same game...which could lead to the exact same issue as I'm looking at now.
- Unreall
FaboulousFab Yellow Sparx Gems: 1247
#10 Posted: 19:59:26 18/06/2014

No, I feel like myself in the same situation since i'm also a young dad.
I wouldn't say it's really bad for young children to play video games, but it is advised to follow the 3 6 9 12 rule.
I haven't the truth, it's just something commoly accepted in french child psychology for instance .
Nowadays, there's so many screens available, it's mainly a question of moderation.

http://www.familyandmedia.eu/e...l-3-6-9-12.html
---
Marge: But I thought broccoli was...
Dr. Hibbert: Oh yes. One of the deadliest plants on earth. It tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste.
Eggers Yellow Sparx Gems: 1305
#11 Posted: 21:02:23 18/06/2014
Quote: Unreallystic
Buying his own figures doesn't work, at least with our current setup, all that happens is he mixes them in with the family's figures. (I've given him various series 1s so I can track where they are and sure enough I see two Drill Seargents' on my shelf or a series 1 trigger happy)

I fully understand the rating of the game, I'm not complaining about anything currently in the game either, it would just be something that's nice. It would be akin to how modern day fighting game controllers have not only moved the start and select button to the back of the joysticks to prevent accidental presses during any mashing (even though you shouldn't be mashing in the first place) and have a 'lock switch' to prevent accidental presses of the joystick options and home buttons. If you are old enough to spend $200 on a joystick for Killer Instinct, it shouldn't be an issue accidentally pressing those buttons, but it happens.

This is hte same thing to me. I'm not complaining nor saying anything is wrong, just a 'lock' feature of sorts would be great. I mean - Damadness is right that in a couple years, it will be a null and void issue, but of course my wife is currently pregnant with #2 so the cycle will rear its head again and I'll possibly have a younger brother or sister trying to imitate their older brother and playing the same game...which could lead to the exact same issue as I'm looking at now.
- Unreall

You could mark his figures so that there is a way of telling his from yours. Put stickers on the bottom of his figures (just a suggestion) and then you both can easily tell which are his and which are not.
---
Rainbows are nature's rainbows!
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#12 Posted: 22:23:33 18/06/2014
I don't think that dad identifying the fig is the problem. I think its the 3 year old not caring about the sticker.
#13 Posted: 13:01:01 19/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: FaboulousFab

No, I feel like myself in the same situation since i'm also a young dad.
I wouldn't say it's really bad for young children to play video games, but it is advised to follow the 3 6 9 12 rule.
I haven't the truth, it's just something commoly accepted in french child psychology for instance .
Nowadays, there's so many screens available, it's mainly a question of moderation.

http://www.familyandmedia.eu/e...l-3-6-9-12.html

I'd love to read all that, but it was too wordy *at work heh*, so I skimmed down to the rules. I can't agree or disagree with them, though I wouldn't call them 'hard' rules by any stretch. My son was introduced to screens too early and has had too much access to them. I'm trying my best to ween him off. It hasn't stunted development or activities he likes to do, but anything more than say an hour of VIDEO time a day and his attitude goes down the hole. I find that a lot of the kiddy kid games are fine for him as they dissolve down to 'puzzles', and stimulate thought and don't negatively impact his attitude. I mean honestly, what's surprised me the most about Skylanders is how well he's picked up some of the matching aspect. He knows what Swaps line up with what, he knows what elements line up with what, and 'fore hte most part' he understands which figures can work in which game. Some times its me as a young father underselling his abilities, but I still feel in awe at what he processes sometimes.

Back to the original topic, I've htought of painting figures to help him identify them as his, but it ultimaty falls back o na single truth, he likes certain skylanders, typically the ones 'dad' or 'mom' like, so it would cost me a hefty penny to buy 'extras' of a lot of those. I used to sell figures so I have a huge backlog of S1 and S2 figures, but I rarely play those, so he rarely plays those - translation, I'd be buying additional full price swap force characters...not happening right now. Maybe if the deals are sweet enough with Trap Force...
- Unreall
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#14 Posted: 01:04:17 20/06/2014
Quote: Dyno-Mite

The game's target audience (5-12) is the wrong direction, the games are rated E10+ which means that parents should be well aware that their child can really mess up the figures, I know when I was a three year old I was deleting game files and throwing toys at walls.

Heck my five year old years ago destroyed three $300+ game systems by destroying the CD/DVD drives. It would definitely be a monitored situation, or I give him characters that if he erased it would not be a big deal.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
SkylandersGamer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1434
#15 Posted: 03:01:45 21/06/2014

I agree with both of you
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me