darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Could this be the last Skylanders game?
Page 1 of 1
Could this be the last Skylanders game?
Chibilove Green Sparx Gems: 400
#1 Posted: 14:42:57 09/05/2014 | Topic Creator

If in Trap Team, we can obtain Kaos and make him on our side, isnt it just logical that now that we have the power to trap the bad guys (and turn them good) , that there would be no need for future Skylander games?

The only other thing i can think of is like, side games. For example, like how the Mario franchise has Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. Bowser is the bad guy, and look, hes playing side by side with Mario.

Could this further enable the thought process (rumor-mill) that a side racing game for Skylanders could be possible? Where Kaos could be a playable character (and all the other bad guys) and having fun with the Skylanders?

Food for thought-
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ChibiMadness&sclick=1
Loneliness is a disease that can lead to death They might as well be the same thing
Kung Fu Man Gold Sparx Gems: 2120
#2 Posted: 15:12:06 09/05/2014
Activision has outright killed characters in the Call of Duty series only to turn around and say "Nope, they weren't really dead!" If it does well, they'll find a way to keep milking it.

If anything's going to sink it, it'll be competition and oversaturation, similar to what happened with their music game franchise. Though to be honest if it does end here, there's always the 3DS games to explore for me.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:15:31 09/05/2014 by Kung Fu Man
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#3 Posted: 15:21:44 09/05/2014
Not a chance. It's one of the main pillars of Activision's business right now. Unless sales fall off a cliff, we can expect Skylanders games every year for quite some time.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#4 Posted: 16:45:42 09/05/2014
I kinda want it to end - I always Think its a bit of a rip off (But you don't need to be a genius to figure that out!) But if it does, I think I'll be sad. Im mean what If This is the last game where you can play as Spyro?!

But, one good thing that could happen from "The fall of Skylanders" Is that Activision can kind of dismiss the rights to him, and we can get loads of fan games. I don't know if this can even happen, but it would be good! smilie
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#5 Posted: 17:05:51 09/05/2014
Quote: Chibilove

If in Trap Team, we can obtain Kaos and make him on our side, isnt it just logical that now that we have the power to trap the bad guys (and turn them good) , that there would be no need for future Skylander games?

The only other thing i can think of is like, side games. For example, like how the Mario franchise has Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. Bowser is the bad guy, and look, hes playing side by side with Mario.

Could this further enable the thought process (rumor-mill) that a side racing game for Skylanders could be possible? Where Kaos could be a playable character (and all the other bad guys) and having fun with the Skylanders?

Food for thought-

1) Kaos could (and probably will) find a way to escape the trap, since he is not a normal villain, but a Portal Master just like us.

2) Only the villains that escaped from the Cloud Cracker prison (except for Kaos) can be trapped inside the traptanium crystals. This was pretty much confirmed, since you cannot play as ANY enemy in Trap Team.

3) I personally wouldn't buy a Skylanders Kart/Party/Sport Mix or whatever. There are two reasons that make me love this franchise so much: the characters and the gameplay. The gameplay justifies having so much characters. Because they are all unique, and have different playstyles and attacks. Why would karts be so special? How could they make karts that are as unique as their pilots?
They probably couldn't.
And the result would only be a cheap karting game, that would have nothing more than 100+ characters and karts that act EXACTLY the same.
Just like in Mario Kart. But that game doesn't aim at diversity. Skylanders does.
And it must remain their focus.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#6 Posted: 17:55:47 09/05/2014
I don't consider Bowser a real villain. I consider him more like a friendly rival who acts like a villain. ...It's a long story to why I think that but I could talk PM if you're interested.

Anyway, yeah it means nothing. They could even be getting a new villain.
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#7 Posted: 18:23:23 09/05/2014
Only if this game is a complete and utter abysmal flop.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#8 Posted: 18:24:16 09/05/2014
If they start introducing multiple titles per year, then yeah...it's dead. I don't want one off games. Every franchise that's done this has lost focus and it's impacted the major entry. But to answer the OP, this won't be ending soon. If they don't introduce more variety experience of the game, I'd say it would end sooner rather than later. But I guess until people stop becoming enamored with toy #1,000,000 will the focus will be where it should.

Quote: Hexin_Wishes
Only if this game is a complete and utter abysmal flop.

I'd argue they will go one or two games beyond that point. They'll want to make sure it's dead Jim.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:26:46 09/05/2014 by GhostRoaster
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#9 Posted: 19:06:13 09/05/2014
1st, ANY game could be the last. You never know.

As for the reason being trapped villains???

Does the fact we have prisons mean there are now no crimes or criminals on the streets? We live in a perfect world yeah?
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#10 Posted: 00:03:37 11/05/2014
If it gets the sales rates of SSA before Christmas, then yes.
#11 Posted: 02:35:46 11/05/2014
Quote: somePerson
If it gets the sales rates of SSA before Christmas, then yes.

Nope, because they will overstay their welcome at least a game past. They may drastically cut down stock/inventory of the figures to get something back for the games that are basically already in development a year by the time the dud is released. I guess there's a chance they would just cancel it, but I guess it depends on their manufacturing schedule for figs. My .02.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:36:40 11/05/2014 by GhostRoaster
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#12 Posted: 18:07:31 11/05/2014
It's about staying ahead of the curve. Change things right before you have overstayed your welcome. We already know Vicarious Visions is working on a Skylanders 5. I'm hoping they use their experience with MUA2 and give us a 4 Skylanders at a time game.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#13 Posted: 18:56:59 11/05/2014
Probably not unless it bombs,and even then they'll try at least once more. But when it comes to story,finally throwing Kaos into jail doesn't mean the story has to stop,they can always make a new great villain that, with the guy using Darkness the most gone, could take advantage and try to take over Skylands him or herself. As long as it's not Kaos' mom, it could work either way.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#14 Posted: 14:42:27 12/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Pyrofer
1st, ANY game could be the last. You never know.

As for the reason being trapped villains???

Does the fact we have prisons mean there are now no crimes or criminals on the streets? We live in a perfect world yeah?

This trap/prison in Skylanders makes them Good and on our side. WE WILL TRAP THEM ALL! - lmao jk
---
Loneliness is a disease that can lead to death They might as well be the same thing
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#15 Posted: 10:52:31 17/05/2014
i think that either kaos will find a way to escape or there will be a new villan example kaos mum.
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
#16 Posted: 13:46:02 17/05/2014
Kaos will be written into the plot as "escaped" by some random means.
Traps will be gone.
Sky5 will have a new gimmick.

This all depends on sales. With just "another" version of the same game-play game again a lot of people will leave with Trap Team. If enough new blood comes to the franchise we shall see it continue, but with the added competition from Disney and Nintendo now I don't count this as a sure thing.

Activision should have done more with Trap Team, they certainly need to do more with Sky5 if they get to make it at all.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#17 Posted: 19:28:45 17/05/2014
I onestly do not understand.
I think the gameplay for ALL the Skylanders games is perfect. And it has always been improved.
With Giants they introduced minigames and arenas, and with Swap Force the jump mechanic.
As of now we know that all the Trap Masters have the ability to perform a special attack while jumping; the possibility to attack while jumping was highly requested by fans, and even if it looks like it is exclusive to them, it is still something, which may be improved in the future.
If I remember correctly all the first three Spyro games had the same gameplay, with some improvements, and yet people want another sequel for the classic trilogy.
If Skylanders manages itself to continue improving the games (open world, all characters can attack while jumping, more replayability), it won't need to change it's gameplay.
Spin off games exsist for that purpose.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#18 Posted: 07:37:56 18/05/2014
I think the gameplay is perfect as well, if it changes then it might as well be a spin-off game. The core gameplay is a great dungeon crawler much like a lighter kid focused "Gauntlet". These types of games are great in my opinion and especially with co op.
Obviously the developers need to add a way to lengthen the overall game in some way that will make it last more than just a playthrough or two. Branching paths in levels would definitely increase it as many have said.

An open world skylanders game would be perfect as long as they kept the core gameplay in tact. It bothers me how easily SOMETHING could be done to improve the length, yet it doesn't get answered. As a side note, Quit oversaturating the market with so many figures! Both New and Reposes.
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#19 Posted: 14:21:30 18/05/2014
Quote: Pyrofer
Kaos will be written into the plot as "escaped" by some random means.
Traps will be gone.
Sky5 will have a new gimmick.

This all depends on sales. With just "another" version of the same game-play game again a lot of people will leave with Trap Team. If enough new blood comes to the franchise we shall see it continue, but with the added competition from Disney and Nintendo now I don't count this as a sure thing.

Activision should have done more with Trap Team, they certainly need to do more with Sky5 if they get to make it at all.

that's why they need to take a hit so they rethink what they are doing. it is showing how they have had a blueprint and keep the same way of making the games when this has been overkill on releases for figures. the fact that avengers will be infinity 2.0 and the crossing of worlds of certain marvel figures, it's going to be a difficult sell to keep everyone interested for a 4th go around. while there might be a few new people left but from the overall lifetime sales i am doubting it. nintendo's also got a good staple of characters and they can make games period. that's the reason they didn't take skylanders because they wanted to go with their idea which many would agree would have severed the overall appeal of skylanders.

I don't see another game in the series per se being called anywhere as being sky5 but more of a spin off and maybe they'll go as far as open world online. it's going to have to be some sort of over the top gimmick to keep people buying and playing after this, because with the level of burnout happening, this'll be the last regular release game.

Quote: diddy50

Obviously the developers need to add a way to lengthen the overall game in some way that will make it last more than just a playthrough or two. Branching paths in levels would definitely increase it as many have said.

Instead of making for the wii at this point they should focus to next gen which more than likely they will if they make another game and not make a wii port. The wii has the lowest specs and memory out of all the releases and that actually kills how much they can do between all games by being multiplatform like this. remember, every game they add that many more characters to that drives the amount up for data, it's easy to assume trap team won't be as long due to them having to compensate the wii port.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:38:25 18/05/2014 by tigerdr
#20 Posted: 19:04:35 18/05/2014
Quote: Earth-Dragon
It's about staying ahead of the curve. Change things right before you have overstayed your welcome. We already know Vicarious Visions is working on a Skylanders 5. I'm hoping they use their experience with MUA2 and give us a 4 Skylanders at a time game.

I'd appreciate a link with that bit of knowledge that VV is working on 5, cause that would be unconfirmed news for me.
---
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#21 Posted: 07:54:05 19/05/2014
I'm pretty sure Activision confirmed that TFB and VV would now alternate between games now. TFB gets Trap Team, VV gets the next one, Part 5.
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#22 Posted: 08:26:29 19/05/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
Quote: Earth-Dragon

I'd appreciate a link with that bit of knowledge that VV is working on 5, cause that would be unconfirmed news for me.

I believe it was heavily implied by Activision that the two studios would be alternating games to keep them coming out on a yearly basis. If not even adding Beenox into the mix depending on how things go.

Quick google search regarding the alternating studio concept -

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02...ual-skylanders/

http://www.shacknews.com/artic...next-skylanders

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/ar...disney-infinity
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:28:33 19/05/2014 by GothamLord
#23 Posted: 15:02:51 19/05/2014
I hardly call "adding Jump" a major game play improvement.

Also, having areas that are locked to only certain figures is not a gameplay improvement.

Other than that they have pretty much done NOTHING with the actual basic mechanics of the game.

I don't want a different game, I want a better one.

Forget gates and zones and have a more natural flow with areas that figures just can't get to unless they can climb, fly, swim etc.

The whole concept of "loading levels" should be gone by now. Background loading of the world a set distance ahead has been done for years so why not in Skylanders??? There should be NO loading waits at all.
Also, the idea that the only way to pick a level is a text menu???

Why not just have paths coming out of the hub that lead to the different areas so you travel there. you could have random encounters along the way too with chompies etc. The game should be designed better and that is the end of it.
There is no reason to have a menu to select levels or a magic "gate" to block areas or a loading screen. It's all just lazy shoddy programming.
Maybe a lot of it is BECAUSE they are still making it work on the Wii.
Dump that piece of garbage and write a modern game please. Or at least write a decent game and back-port what you can to a cut down 3DS style Wii version. Don't base the main game on what you can achieve on the Wii.

We don't want this to turn into a Madden 20xx type thing with nothing but a load of new names (and expensive figures to buy to play them) with no real changes other than that.
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#24 Posted: 15:09:13 19/05/2014
I prefer the gameplay stay pretty much the same. Simple so the young kids can play, with a cute story, a shiny new gimmick and cool new figures. It is possible that what people see as limitations of the game are actual design choices. Sure, they don't vibe well with grown ups who are used to more sophisticated game play, but this game is intended for children.
#25 Posted: 15:25:43 19/05/2014
@Pyrofer

So much with what you said! smilie
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#26 Posted: 18:16:33 19/05/2014
I don't think the game series will end until something happens to Kaos like him being gone forever or something like that.
gnarlytreesnex Blue Sparx Gems: 651
#27 Posted: 00:56:18 20/05/2014
I don't think so I love skylanders so maybe no
#28 Posted: 01:48:46 20/05/2014
Quote: yelvy
@Pyrofer

Yup. He summarized all of my complaints succinctly, and why a purchase from me is at risk.

Quote: DaMadNes
I prefer the gameplay stay pretty much the same. Simple so the young kids can play, with a cute story, a shiny new gimmick and cool new figures. It is possible that what people see as limitations of the game are actual design choices. Sure, they don't vibe well with grown ups who are used to more sophisticated game play, but this game is intended for children.

If you want more of the same, why not play your previous games? This is the ultimate lame excuse of DOOOOM, calling out children as to why they can't truly make this different. Lamo, Lamo, Lamo. I hope children have the money to buy it...oh wait..it's the adults that do.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:51:35 20/05/2014 by GhostRoaster
Dyno-Mite Ripto Gems: 92
#29 Posted: 10:48:08 20/05/2014
@Pyrofer

Yup. He summarized all of my complaints succinctly, and why a purchase from me is at risk.

If you want more of the same, why not play your previous games? This is the ultimate lame excuse of DOOOOM, calling out children as to why they can't truly make this different. Lamo, Lamo, Lamo. I hope children have the money to buy it...oh wait..it's the adults that do.

Why? It's like telling someone who wants more oreos to eat the ones they already digested again so they can have macaroni; it's boring usually to replay the same levels but new levels with the same gameplay as old levels is fun, at least for me.
#30 Posted: 11:15:38 20/05/2014
" but new levels with the same gameplay as old levels is fun,"

Yup, and this could be done with some level packs for the existing games.
No need to a whole new game, new portal and new figures just to add a level pack.

Online purchased level packs would be EXACTLY what you are talking about and something I have said they should do all along.

If they are going to release a new game however, MAKE IT A NEW GAME.
#31 Posted: 02:08:36 21/05/2014
Quote: Dyno-Mite
@Pyrofer

Why? It's like telling someone who wants more oreos to eat the ones they already digested again so they can have macaroni; it's boring usually to replay the same levels but new levels with the same gameplay as old levels is fun, at least for me.

Similarly, it's also moronic for someone to tell a producer of video game to reproduce, more or less, the same game you just finished--for the same reasons you stated.
---
Dyno-Mite Ripto Gems: 92
#32 Posted: 19:39:24 21/05/2014
Quote: Dyno-Mite

Similarly, it's also moronic for someone to tell a producer of video game to reproduce, more or less, the same game you just finished--for the same reasons you stated.

Jogging one day on the same route will still be different from jogging the same route the next, and probably equally enjoyable. No, they are not making the same game as before, Spyro's Adventure was the steak and now we have a entire course. Would it be bad to eat steak with your course. You are spitting on all the actual innovations, which don't happen with the mainline, I know, but still you simply ignore the tremendous leaps the series has taken and simply say: it's all the same!
#33 Posted: 16:34:58 22/05/2014
@Dyno-Mite Stop with the food metaphors! You're making me hungry!

Seriously though, I get both Ghostroaster's and Dyno-Mite's points. To be honest though, Skylanders can't be the same thing every year. You can't call minor things like a mini game like Skystones making a game different. Even this Villains thing isn't that different. Cool, theres gonna be certain enemies you can play as. I bought Swap force because it really did shake it up a little - I mean adding Jumping was really a big thing for me anyway.
SSA - Original
Giants - Same but with giant characters that lumbered around and got annoying. Luckily, with this game you got everything you needed to unlock everything with the starter pack if you had a Skylander from each element.
SF - This was a little different. Jumping, a step forward in graphics, and ugly Swap force characters. I mean, Im not gonna buy a load of those so i can complete the game!

Sorry if I offended anyone! smilie
#34 Posted: 16:57:35 22/05/2014
Yet Pokemon changed squat from entry to entry and people bought those games in droves.

If you don't want to happen, don't make it profitable. Everyone blames the corporations, when at the end of the day, it's the consumers that allow them to operate that way and ENCOURAGE them to operate that way.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
#35 Posted: 16:58:35 22/05/2014
^ And thats why I'm not buying the next game
#36 Posted: 07:43:53 23/05/2014
^ And thats why I'm not buying the next game

I'm still buying the next game as it gives me more levels to play on my current figs. Almost silly to get all those figures and not get as much game to play with them as I can (the last wave usually doesn't really get played. I think Doom Stone might still be in the package).

I WONT be buying the same amount of figures. I might buy a crystal of each element. Depends on what the cost is and how I like the villains and their gameplay. But since one (and honestly, probably will end up being one of the best looking) Trap Master comes with the game and will unlock all the trap master zones from what we know, that may be the only one I care to grab. Wallop and the Lion are impressive enough.
---
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#37 Posted: 10:42:28 23/05/2014
This will probably be the last game I will but of the series as I highly doubt it will be on Wii next year smilie
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#38 Posted: 14:16:33 23/05/2014
Quote: Snap Shot
This will probably be the last game I will but of the series as I highly doubt it will be on Wii next year smilie

I agree. It was much easier for Infinity to dump Wii since their sales on that platform was poor...it's quite the opposite for Skylanders. IMO they will have to GIVE buyers a reason to upgrade, like online game play etc--otherwise they will continue to be in this quagmire.
---
#39 Posted: 16:30:00 23/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Snap Shot

I agree. It was much easier for Infinity to dump Wii since their sales on that platform was poor...it's quite the opposite for Skylanders. IMO they will have to GIVE buyers a reason to upgrade, like online game play etc--otherwise they will continue to be in this quagmire.

Couldnt help myself

[User Posted Image]
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me