Page 1 of 1
Skylanders "Spin-off" games
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#1 Posted: 18:13:19 30/04/2014 | Topic Creator
What do people think of the idea of more spin-off titles that use the portal and figures?

Cloud Patrol, Battlegrounds etc did ok on tablets but not many people had the Bluetooth portal.

Would you buy a Skylanders Kart game where you HAD to use the portal and figures to get different characters (and their karts)?
How about a Fighting game? Tekken/Virtua Fighter-esque but with Skylanders as the figures.

Maybe a JRPG style, or MMO?

I know TFB and Activision read this forum and thought I would throw this out there to gauge interest. I for one would like to see some spin off more adult games (adult as in older, not "adult content").
I would love a nice open world platformer more based on puzzles and exploring than just button mashing multiple waves of chompies.

What sort of game would you like to see with the portal and figures integrated? I am suggesting this as an addition to the main game, not a replacement for it btw.

Just spouting random ideas here smilie
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#2 Posted: 19:34:31 30/04/2014
An open-world platformer would be pretty sweet, actually. The levels in the released games so far just feel... well, linear, restraining, ect...

An open-world MMO with quests and multiple regions, and enemies powerful and numerous enough to require 'parties' of Skylanders would be cool. I mean, obviously the communication between players would be limited, since it's a kid-centric game, but parental blocks restricting voice chat, censoring text chat, ect... could be of great use there.

I'd also be okay with a racing game where you use the preexisting Skylander figures, and each one has their own different racing stats (Giants are Heavy class, each element gets different power-up items or can access different shortcuts/routes, ect...)
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:35:17 30/04/2014 by Wolfgang
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#3 Posted: 19:36:09 30/04/2014
Wolfgang said it, An open world game would be awesome!
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#4 Posted: 19:37:22 30/04/2014
I wish they would put out a "Skylanders Extreme" or something that was targeted at experienced gamers and would utilize the need to have fully upgraded characters like most RPGs do. In your average RPG you would NEVER be able to trot out a level 1 character on the later levels and have them survive more than 10 seconds.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
#5 Posted: 20:12:03 30/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Don't feel you need to constrain your ideas to kid-centric, the point of this thread was to dream of OTHER possibilities smilie

So MMO with full chat etc would be great, it just wouldn't be targeted at kids so no need to "protect" the players as much.
One thing I wondered was would you keep the XP and level from the figure or have the games OWN XP/Levels?
It's far easier to level up in Skylanders than you would want it in an MMO for example.

Feel free to let your ideas run wild smilie And Mods, feel free to move this to another forum section if needed smilie
#6 Posted: 20:15:52 30/04/2014
Having 3+ characters active at once would be cool and be able to switch between them while they are AI controlled when you are controlling another character would be cool ala Kingdom Hearts.
---
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#7 Posted: 20:38:01 30/04/2014
Or even Marvel Ultimate Alliance style. 4 characters, computer controlled when a player isn't selecting them, and up to 4 players can grab a character.

When I get my computer working I'm gonna write a letter to Activision about the franchise.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
#8 Posted: 20:42:26 30/04/2014
^ I'd love that! It makes all the characters we have collected to be much more useful!
---
crocko33 Blue Sparx Gems: 685
#9 Posted: 20:54:49 30/04/2014
I agree -- want them to continue making the normal Skylander franchise story games, but if they could also add in spinoff games for these characters we already own, that would be awesome.
---
55 out of 80 Skylanders -- Activate account = crocko33
#10 Posted: 21:09:20 30/04/2014
Keep in mind. 4 at a time would probably limit you to non-gimmick characters (Though, 72 standard landers post Trap Team isn't gonna have you lacking for options)
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#11 Posted: 21:23:33 30/04/2014
The only option is solo Skylander games - as in,for small group of 'landers of just one as the central character. The rest can stay in the main series no matter the gimmick or gameplay changes, and there's the added bonus that people in a budget can get the spinoffs.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Gnarly Dune Green Sparx Gems: 125
#12 Posted: 21:27:51 30/04/2014
I think a side scrolling battle arena would be rad. Kinda like what they did with the bonus coin grab level in Woodborrow.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:29:27 30/04/2014 by Gnarly Dune
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#13 Posted: 21:37:00 30/04/2014
Skystones needs to be a mobile app with online multiplayer
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
griswoldthunder Gold Sparx Gems: 2953
#14 Posted: 21:38:18 30/04/2014
I think spinoffs are a great idea. I said something quite similar before in these forums. Anything that lets us use our existing inventory of figures would be awesome. It makes sense for collectors, but it also makes sense for Activision, as well. Since characters and back stories have already been created, less time would be needed to create the games and they could sell more figures (to people new to the franchise and to existing customers).
#15 Posted: 21:47:22 30/04/2014
A spring release of a spinoff game would do nothing but sell more toys and keep Skylanders on the brain of customers. They could just utilize the roster of characters from the fall release and be good to go.
---
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#16 Posted: 21:59:10 30/04/2014
Quote: Pyrofer
Don't feel you need to constrain your ideas to kid-centric, the point of this thread was to dream of OTHER possibilities :)

So MMO with full chat etc would be great, it just wouldn't be targeted at kids so no need to "protect" the players as much.
One thing I wondered was would you keep the XP and level from the figure or have the games OWN XP/Levels?
It's far easier to level up in Skylanders than you would want it in an MMO for example.

Feel free to let your ideas run wild :) And Mods, feel free to move this to another forum section if needed :)

LEGO Universe had a fine "kid-friendly" chat that provided enough communication. Despite a lot of the hate it gets, that was a decent MMO, and still managed to be quite fun even being extremely "child-safe."

I think there would be two counts of leveling up, a Portal Master rank, an overall rank for your own character, which would also provide new access and stat buffs upon increasing, and the console-compatible figure level. Of course, just playing with a few figures would get boring due to limited movesets and upgrades (in a normal game that's fine, but in an MMO progression is everything), maybe some unique attacks for some characters, or armors or allies or something.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#17 Posted: 22:06:20 30/04/2014
I would kill for a smash brothers type skylander game.

A marvel vs capcom type game where you can have a 3 vs 3 skylander fighter would be amazing. Obviously we would need to be able to link portals and have online play.

+1 for the JRPG style game. But I don't think kids could really get behind that so you would be losing half of your demographic (I'm guessing).

Here is the biggest question, could they have a successful spinoff game without releasing new figures? I think no.
#18 Posted: 22:16:43 30/04/2014
Hmm, maybe we could have a Skylanders game where 'ally' Skylanders are active in a similar way to Sonic Heroes. You could use a button to tag-team them out like the Villains in Trap Team will be able to do, they can get elemental damage bonuses for being of the same element or you can spread out the elements to open gates much more easily (Provided you could use three split-element Swappers and a Villain crystal, you'd be able to open seven of the eight gates with that sort of loadout)
---
#19 Posted: 22:17:13 30/04/2014 | Topic Creator
In regards to Portals, the original/Giants Portal can have FOUR items on it, thats 2 swappers or 4 normal core figures.

The Swap Force Portal can have 8 items on it.
#20 Posted: 22:26:08 30/04/2014
One thing you have to remember when tearing down to a completely different system, with pushing the total over 100, reprogramming all these guys starts to become a bit tough, at least trying to make them all unique.

Having games with limited groupings though makes sense. An underwater world game using only the water Skylanders might be an option, though some might feel you'd have to do one for each element (I think that would be unnecessary). But's it's inevitable that not all Skylanders are gonna work with every game, because the programming will end up just taking too much time.

Trap Team is in particular making it obvious that the gimmick isn't going to fully carry over through out the series.
---
#21 Posted: 22:26:43 30/04/2014
Quote: Pyrofer
In regards to Portals, the original/Giants Portal can have FOUR items on it, thats 2 swappers or 4 normal core figures.

The Swap Force Portal can have 8 items on it.

I'm just running with the assumption that the Trap Team portal will be the standard for anything that comes out past October.
---
LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#22 Posted: 22:49:53 30/04/2014
The only thing Skylanders need... MMO. Would it be nice to have a multiplayer online game (like SkyUni) but like Lego Universe, Transformer universe... And others.

What I think they should do.

A special PC version with a CD ( a special figure would be awesome too smilie )where you install and play like Lego universe did. Like this.

The Lego Universe game.

The game would content Missions, Goals, Minigames, Achievments and others.

Quote:
I already see a sidekick or magic item instead of this orange minifigure! :3

And it would be again called Skylanders Universe!

Anybody's with me?
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#23 Posted: 00:55:12 01/05/2014
How about a smash bros type game for skylanders?

#GhostroasterforSSSB1
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
SkylanderSteve Yellow Sparx Gems: 1440
#24 Posted: 01:09:56 01/05/2014
I like the mortal kombat styled fighter might be a fun mini game

what about reissuing spyro's adventure with all characters up to trap team usable, add swap zones giant zones etc. it would be easier then releasing/coding a brand new game
it would be great for new gamers to the franchise
great reason to re-release ghost roaster
#25 Posted: 01:27:09 01/05/2014
Quote: SkylanderSteve

what about reissuing spyro's adventure with all characters up to trap team usable, add swap zones giant zones etc. it would be easier then releasing/coding a brand new game

I just had an idea! Skylanders Collection: Bundle Spyro's Adventure, Giants, and Swap Force on the same Blu-Ray (or for DVD-based systems, three disks) with the physics engine and updated character meshes and textures from Trap Team, support for every character/villain in all of the games released at that point, and three new-variant returning characters chosen from a poll where the community decides on their favorite characters.
---
#26 Posted: 02:26:02 01/05/2014
Quote: Wolfgang
Quote: SkylanderSteve

I just had an idea! Skylanders Collection: Bundle Spyro's Adventure, Giants, and Swap Force on the same Blu-Ray (or for DVD-based systems, three disks) with the physics engine and updated character meshes and textures from Trap Team, support for every character/villain in all of the games released at that point, and three new-variant returning characters chosen from a poll where the community decides on their favorite characters.

That's a lot of programming for very little gain. I only see them redoing games for systems that don't already have them, as there is more to gain.

While a great thought, it's impractical.
---
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#27 Posted: 03:09:27 01/05/2014
An online MMO that doesn't suck.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#28 Posted: 14:38:16 01/05/2014
This is something I actually miss about the older days of Skylanders. The new spinoffs they released were decent diversions. It's just a shame that Battlegrounds ended up sucking and that they shut down Universe

Ideally, spinoffs should contribute something small to the main game, to encourage you to play them so that you aren't just "wasting" "Skylanders-time". It shouldn't be something as big as Quests or Heroics, however, as that would just make more and more grinding and it'd be ridiculous. Perhaps use the Hero Level stat which has been gone since Universe closed down(although levelling to 50 would be much easier than Universe). It should be fairly easy to level up characters' Hero Levels in these theoretical spin-offs; and there would be a few of them, and you'd just accumulate more Hero EXP for playing any of them. There are enough toys that just levelling in these spinoffs could offer decent content, and if they were addictive enough you could pass the time with them and level them a ton without realising how much time you spent on it. They'd be fun diversions that offer a little extra as well. Perhaps the Hero Level could boost HP by 100 points or something, similar to how Quests are right now, but much easier to do. Alternatively, they could offer gold or regular EXP to contribute to upgrades/levels respectively... Although Gold is already simple enough. Regular EXP, however, would help make levelling less repetitive.

I actually like Cloud Patrol quite a bit and always wished that it contributed to Hero EXP or something, that would have been perfect... I just dislike seeing the Hero Level stat going unused.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:29:10 02/05/2014 by Arc of Archives
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#29 Posted: 23:15:09 01/05/2014
I would pay $$$ for a dowloadable version of SSA & SG for my next gen console. It would be a great value add if the newer characters where usable, but not really necessary.
#30 Posted: 01:50:55 02/05/2014
Vicarious Visions doing next game.

Vicarious Visions did Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me