Page 1 of 1
One Villain per Trap
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#1 Posted: 14:19:36 30/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Creating a new thread for this just to highlight it for people and correct an error on my part. I feel partly responsible as our FamilyGamerTV videos did say four villains per trap and we had that on good authority at the time. However, I reached out to Lou Studdert (Activision) on twitter today, who has already been interviewed on video confirming that a trap can hold only one villain, just to double check that it is definitely one villain per trap.

My question: "Hi again Lou, can you confirm for me that one physical trap can hold only one villain at any time (with others going in a vault)"

His response: "Correct. And in between levels you can change who you have "equipped" in the Trap."

We still don't know how that impacts co-op play, Lou had this to say about that: "we'll go over co-op in depth later but we will support 2 players of any toy type plus a trap w/ villain in a fun way"
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:21:20 30/04/2014 by wideawakewesley
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#2 Posted: 15:28:59 30/04/2014
Thanks for posting this and clearing up the confusion!

That means it would dumb for them not to carry forward the ability to use the trapped villain in crystals in future games because many people will buy 40+ traps in order to collect all the villains and have them available in the those games.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:35:48 30/04/2014 by Zylek
gta1134 Blue Sparx Gems: 628
#3 Posted: 15:50:36 30/04/2014
I doubt that the villains will always be contained in the crystals but will be held in the games central hub and you change out what villain is actively in the crystal.
---
Have an extra boomer and punch pop fizz that are opened and a darklight crypt that is still sealed for trade.
oufanindallas Blue Sparx Gems: 907
#4 Posted: 15:55:51 30/04/2014
Quote: gta1134
I doubt that the villains will always be contained in the crystals but will be held in the games central hub and you change out what villain is actively in the crystal.

Correct, you will not need to purchase 40 crystals unless you wish to. Only one villain can be played at any one time per crystal, the others will be able to be swapped at the hub world.

From GameInformer:
Crystals
If you want to play as all of the villains in the game, you'll need to insert the crystal that represents the villain's elemental type. Yes, this means you'll need to have at least eight crystals – two of which come packaged with the game. Activision has no plans to sell the other crystals in blind packs. The crystals will be sold separately, and Activision is also looking into other ways to get them into players' hands.

Villains
Will you need over 40 crystals to contain the 40-plus villain characters? No. Any villain that is captured can either be sucked up into the crystal for immediate play or retired to the prison located in the hub world. The player can visit this location to switch out villains.
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#5 Posted: 15:56:11 30/04/2014
Thanks for clearing this misconception, so we have a definite answer now. If you haven't already, you may wish to add annotations to the FGTV youtube videos correcting the error.

Quote: gta1134

The villains will be in the crystals (that way you can bring a trap with one from later in the game to a friend's house and play as them). There will just be a "vault" in the game's hub that holds them when they aren't in a crystal.
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#6 Posted: 17:01:13 30/04/2014
I've been saying this since the start, it was obvious from the video of the launch.

Don't forget you need EIGHT traps, one for each element and if you have a villain IN your trap (for play) at the time you need to trap ANOTHER villain? YOU CAN'T.

This means, if you want to catch the villains and play them you need 16 traps on hand, 2 of each element. One for your "play" villain and one empty to catch anybody else for each element.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#7 Posted: 17:05:11 30/04/2014
^One clarification: You can move people in and out of the trap. Only problem is you can only load up that character (if you only have one elemental crystal) IN BETWEEN levels. I'm wondering if you can do that DURING a level and send whomever is on that crystal to the prison.

Of interesting note....what if a friend brings over Chill Bill, who YOU haven't trapped...and then you swap him on the crystal in your game file. Chill Bill will be at your friend's house, and the friend bringing it over won't have it when he goes back home because it was supposed to be on the crystal. So he's lost Chill Bill. I wonder how they figured this one out. Basically, they would ALWAYS need ALL trapped villains to be in prison, and not support a "transfer" feature.

And Lou Studdert did clarify this on a later video posted by Irate Gamer, which is in the All we Know Thread.

I hope we can put this to rest now.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 17:21:52 30/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#8 Posted: 17:10:44 30/04/2014
Quote: Pyrofer
I've been saying this since the start, it was obvious from the video of the launch.

Don't forget you need EIGHT traps, one for each element and if you have a villain IN your trap (for play) at the time you need to trap ANOTHER villain? YOU CAN'T.

This means, if you want to catch the villains and play them you need 16 traps on hand, 2 of each element. One for your "play" villain and one empty to catch anybody else for each element.

I don't think so. The game force you to trap the Chompy Mage or a another villain (like a tutorial), this means that you can't trap other villains because the game force you to follow a tutorial? I think when you trap a villain in a filled trap it will be replaced and sended to the Hub. Or maybe Toys for Bob force you to buy more elemental traps for every elements and traps your money. Sorry my English.
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#9 Posted: 17:40:37 30/04/2014
First, if you put a "full" trap on to catch, I bet it says "this trap is full, please put an empty one on or skip this"

Second, I am 100% sure you will NOT be able to put a villain from your trap in a friends "hub" prison.

It's like the figure ownership, they don't get added to somebody else's collection.
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#10 Posted: 17:46:26 30/04/2014
This trap thing seems to be pretty limiting when playing with 2 people. Since there is only one trap on the portal, can only one person play as the villain when 2 people are playing? Or, can they both play as the villain? If they both can play as a villain, they still don't have the option to swap out the traps in order for them to play as different villains.

This had to come up in development and I expect this to be something talked about when this is finally launched.
SkyJo Green Sparx Gems: 490
#11 Posted: 17:59:03 30/04/2014
Quote: Pyrofer
First, if you put a "full" trap on to catch, I bet it says "this trap is full, please put an empty one on or skip this"

Second, I am 100% sure you will NOT be able to put a villain from your trap in a friends "hub" prison.

It's like the figure ownership, they don't get added to somebody else's collection.

In the "all we know thread" somebody says, when you defeat a villian and did not have the trap of the element he goes to the vault.
Maybe the same happens when you have a trap but this is full!?

Many Thx for clearing this up, I was decisive involved in the "4 per trap" theorie in the main thread, sry about that.
#12 Posted: 18:05:35 30/04/2014
I wasn't aware of the "goes to vault if no trap" feature, yes this would make sense if you don't have an empty trap.
It just seems against the "idea" behind trapping them in crystals at all...

I guess there is no way to know short of official confirmation or a video showing the process.
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#13 Posted: 21:53:53 30/04/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm still hopeful that co-op allows two players to tag team with a villain and the two Skylanders on the portal. So any player can swap in and out (effectively being able to swap Skylanders between players as well as swapping to the villain).

Also, one big question I have...where does your Skylander go when you're controlling the Villain? I think they need an explanation for their absence from the screen.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
shadowfox Platinum Sparx Gems: 5084
#14 Posted: 23:40:44 30/04/2014
maybe back into their figure like when you aren't playing the game
willster8 Gold Sparx Gems: 2383
#15 Posted: 01:47:59 01/05/2014
Quote: wideawakewesley
Creating a new thread for this just to highlight it for people and correct an error on my part. I feel partly responsible as our FamilyGamerTV videos did say four villains per trap and we had that on good authority at the time. However, I reached out to Lou Studdert (Activision) on twitter today, who has already been interviewed on video confirming that a trap can hold only one villain, just to double check that it is definitely one villain per trap.

My question: "Hi again Lou, can you confirm for me that one physical trap can hold only one villain at any time (with others going in a vault)"

His response: "Correct. And in between levels you can change who you have "equipped" in the Trap."

We still don't know how that impacts co-op play, Lou had this to say about that: "we'll go over co-op in depth later but we will support 2 players of any toy type plus a trap w/ villain in a fun way"

Maybe it will be as I heard before. Instead of you needing to have 40 traps, one for each villain, each one will be able to trap four villains. Not hold four villains. There could be a hub of some sort where you will go to switch who you have in the trap. The hub could perhaps be the prison. Say you have 1 villain in a trap, if you want to catch another villain with the trap you are currently using, you might be able to go to the hub, put the villain there, so that your trap is empty, and go catch the villain. Because if I'm correct, if you don't have a trap to hold the villain at the time, like if you have a villain already in it, you can go back to the level to trap the villain later.

Then again, I could be totally wrong. Honestly, I hope it's my way, just so I don't have to spend as much money. XD
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#16 Posted: 02:58:26 01/05/2014
I think we just need to let this crystal thing rest...I think pretty much all of the skylander press folks have seen the confusion/lack of information here, and it's in Activison's interest to clear this up asap...including future use of these villains.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me