darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > why didn't they make it so Villains can level up?
Page 1 of 1
why didn't they make it so Villains can level up?
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#1 Posted: 01:38:38 28/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Villains can't earn experience or money so I don't get the point in using them in the long run? It also gives me the feeling that the villains won't be Forward Compatible with future games. I just don't really get it I guess?
GoldenCamo Green Sparx Gems: 146
#2 Posted: 02:00:00 28/04/2014
For fun and villain only areas.
---
https://www.youtube.com/channe...LwpvF3KB_FrPY8g <----- My Youtube!!!
SSA: 31/32 ; SG: 15/16 ; SSF: 21/32 ; STT: 0/X ; Total: 67/80+
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#3 Posted: 02:13:06 28/04/2014
Quote: diddy50
Villains can't earn experience or money so I don't get the point in using them in the long run? It also gives me the feeling that the villains won't be Forward Compatible with future games. I just don't really get it I guess?

Enjoy the game...you'll not use them in the next game. The point is to take your money.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#4 Posted: 02:25:06 28/04/2014 | Topic Creator
I'll get the game regardless but not looking to "dive" in this time. Depends on how much GAME content we get this time. I have a huge enough collection as is. I just hope they don't lock out a bunch of areas to where you need a bunch of "TRAP MASTERS" to open them. Trap masters kinda seem lame.
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#5 Posted: 02:25:19 28/04/2014
The thing I'm most excited about Trap Team is for the announcement of 5 and how the trapped Villain thing will carry-on.

On Topic: I sincerely feel that it's to remind the player the villain doesn't matter and they're not actually heroes but are instead being used by the Trap Masters.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:46:00 28/04/2014 by Hexin_Wishes
#6 Posted: 02:27:32 28/04/2014 | Topic Creator
If they do carry on to 5 that is...
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#7 Posted: 02:29:11 28/04/2014

Which was my point. I'm interested in seeing what happens with that idea. I can see the outrage already of people not being able to bring their favorite imprisoned villain over.
#8 Posted: 03:18:36 28/04/2014
I'll get the game regardless but not looking to "dive" in this time. Depends on how much GAME content we get this time. I have a huge enough collection as is. I just hope they don't lock out a bunch of areas to where you need a bunch of "TRAP MASTERS" to open them. Trap masters kinda seem lame.

Historically, they've never brought enough content to justify the figures. I think the average game can justify 4-8 characters...not the dozens they introduce. They need to shut up about the gimmicks and tell us how we can get engaged with our imaginations and keep playing beyond the static adventure they keep providing.

For Swap Force--they wanted us to try out 256 combinations but gave us 12 levels. Of course, we only had 60+ combinations or less by the time we've completed the game, as the figures weren't out yet. Do you think people are really digging into all of these characters to replay the same thing over and over? Activision suggests that kids do that and what they are providing is JUST FINE.

This pattern tends to repeat on every game---way too many figures, not enough content. I guess they would argue that not everyone is SUPPOSED to get all of the characters. I hope purchasing decisions start to reflect that re playability and seeing new content on subsequent playthroughs is the only way to justify these toys, and eventually people purchasing will make their decision with their pocketbook.

Expect your dive to be shallow, unfortunately.

Also, they've ALWAYS introduced SOME LOCK to PROMOTE purchases. Elemental Gates are passé now as most everyone has one of each element. So, with each game they introduce MORE areas that are locked to promote the latest gimick. In Giants, that was the feats of strength or areas only Giants could enter. In Swap Force, this was the Swap Zones. In Trap Team, this will be traptanium areas AND elemental crystals. Get used to it, this is how the franchise operates.

What's funny to me is that now that I reflect, these locked areas really do NOTHING for the game. You'll spend an extra few minutes and end up with some collectable that helps you 100% a level. That's it.

Quote: Hexin_Wishes

Which was my point. I'm interested in seeing what happens with that idea. I can see the outrage already of people not being able to bring their favorite imprisoned villain over.

If villains/crystals are the gimick, they've NEVER ported the gimick to the next game. These aren't figures. Toys/figures were the only thing they said they would bring over to the next game. Shouldn't these villains rot in prison for their crimes? Why torment them from now to eternity for all future skylander missions? They've made a very specific choice here with these crystals, and if they don't move them forward I do believe they will get SIGNIFICANT backlash. I know better, and feel confident knowing any crystals purchased is for THIS GAME ONLY. This game will test if consumers will pay that kind of money for ONE GAME ONLY.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 9 times - Last edited at 03:37:03 28/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#9 Posted: 03:32:09 28/04/2014
I would assume they did that to keep the focus on the skylanders. I would also guess certain villians will combo well with certain trap masters. So its a way to give us new combos (for old favs) and a few extra powers, outside the standard upgrade path.
#10 Posted: 03:35:32 28/04/2014
Quote: DaMadNes
I would assume they did that to keep the focus on the skylanders. I would also guess certain villians will combo well with certain trap masters. So its a way to give us new combos (for old favs) and a few extra powers, outside the standard upgrade path.

I agree, but the content won't support the experimentation. Heck, folks still can't experiment with 30+ swap choices and the game has been out for over six months. The only good news with this entry is that you can experiment with the villains immediately to any figures released, but you're still tied to whenever Activision releases the skylanders for this.

So yeah, cool in theory, but the figure rollout mechanics get in the way.
---
#11 Posted: 03:44:30 28/04/2014
I dunno, 80 unique (from previous games) figures to combo each bad guy with, at launch, seems sufficient for a little while. I'm not a fan of the release cycle either, but its a needed evil. I doubt it will break the game, it hasn't for the other 3 imo.
#12 Posted: 03:55:37 28/04/2014
1 last thing - even if the villians weren't playable, its still pretty fun to have something else, new, to collect.

I'm sure most of us like collecting stuff.
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#13 Posted: 03:55:55 28/04/2014
Stop complaining about things that are not confirmed... smilie And stop complaining about the assumption that Villains won't be supported in Skylanders 5. Giants were supported in Swap Force, and Swappers will be supported in Trap team, so why is it so sure they won't carry the Villains/Traps to Skylanders 5?
---
bye
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#14 Posted: 07:46:28 28/04/2014
Well, it's obvious really...

They keep promising that all your FIGURES will work in the next game.
They NEVER promised the "crystals" would.

That is probably why there are no villain figures. So they can drop it with less complaints next time.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#15 Posted: 07:51:47 28/04/2014
Makes me curious about the Kaos Trap... if you do capture him, and they DO carry over the crystals... Then, that means no Kaos in gen 5? smilie
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#16 Posted: 07:52:18 28/04/2014
The reason why villains are a bit more limited is because if they were full toons, they'd create a figure for them. Your paying a fraction of the cost to pay a fraction of the character. In turn, they only spend a fraction on the toy.

The focus stays on the Skylanders this way as well. You aren't gonna be able to take this toons to other games (I'd imagine) so you aren't wasting your time developing them and then not being able to use them later.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
#17 Posted: 18:05:08 28/04/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm hoping that you only need one Trap Master to unlock the "gimmick gate" in this game, as they did with giants, and not where each Traptonium weapon unlocks certain gates...
willster8 Gold Sparx Gems: 2383
#18 Posted: 18:10:41 28/04/2014
Quote: NINJAsk11
Makes me curious about the Kaos Trap... if you do capture him, and they DO carry over the crystals... Then, that means no Kaos in gen 5? /shrug

Maybe the Kaos crystal won't work and they'll claim he managed to escape....... again.
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#19 Posted: 04:35:20 29/04/2014
Quote: Hexin_Wishes

Funny, that's what I thought TFB thinks and is seeing VV right now...and some of my rage about Trap team
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#20 Posted: 04:44:32 29/04/2014
I'm hoping that you only need one Trap Master to unlock the "gimmick gate" in this game, as they did with giants, and not where each Traptonium weapon unlocks certain gates...

Oh god, I can just hear Eon saying "You need a RED Traptanium weapon to unlock this gate."
In my head, of course.
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#21 Posted: 07:48:13 29/04/2014
In one of the Skylander Boy and Girl videos, Skylander Dad talks mentions that the villains will be upgradeable but not in the normal method that your Skylanders will be. He was at the NY event so he was able to speak to devs about it, however they didn't divulge too much info on specifics.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#22 Posted: 08:44:10 29/04/2014
Quote: willster8
Makes me curious about the Kaos Trap... if you do capture him, and they DO carry over the crystals... Then, that means no Kaos in gen 5? smilie

Maybe the Kaos crystal won't work and they'll claim he managed to escape....... again.

Then...you basickly bought a piece of plastic and it does not work?
"Mooom! My 5 euro's have been spilled on this piece on plastick and it doesnt work!"
I had to.
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#23 Posted: 08:52:07 29/04/2014
Quote: willster8

Kaos clone or robot. Problem solved.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
BlazeHeatnix28 Blue Sparx Gems: 911
#24 Posted: 11:56:37 29/04/2014
Hmmm...well maybe the traps would only work with 5 if Trap Team's portal was used to play the game. I don't really care, honestly. We already have enough characters as it is, so I'm not really worried about more characters making the jump from one game to the next.
---
Awesome Shadow The Hedgehog & Ahsoka Tano avatar by the equally awesome Ace Archdragon!!!!
"I can handle anything."-Ahsoka Tano (SW TCW Ssn.3 Ep.21)
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#25 Posted: 12:07:47 29/04/2014
It would be cool if villians could level up
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#26 Posted: 18:11:47 29/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: BlazeHeatnix28
Hmmm...well maybe the traps would only work with 5 if Trap Team's portal was used to play the game. I don't really care, honestly. We already have enough characters as it is, so I'm not really worried about more characters making the jump from one game to the next.

Exactly, but why pay so much for all of the crystals and such if they are only going to work in this game? Which will most likely NOT have enough content to justify all characters in the first place. At least with the Actual toy skylanders they can be carried over to the next game (SO FAR), making it worth the purchase since you will be able to use them in other games if you completed the game they were originally for.
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#27 Posted: 19:48:52 29/04/2014
I don't know how they are gonna spin this, but honestly, the lack of a "Villain Stable" slightly hurts the series. Kaos and glumshanks are great, but they need a Bebop and Rocksteady to do field work for them.

Chompy Mage, Some of the arena masters from Giants, the bad guys from the handheld games, these guys should be coming in and out. Just like the X-men and Avengers takes on different groups, it'd be nice if someone else developed the evil plot from time to time as well.

Personally I feel "demanding a new gimmick" every time is not the greatest idea. Gimmicks could be contained in gameplay (levels requiring swimmers and flyers for the ENTIRE level) that utilize the current cast, or recycling gimmicks and adding to their ranks (swap force as the primary focus again with a new run of 8 swapper characters).
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
#28 Posted: 21:23:49 29/04/2014
I agree. The gameplay innovation needs to meet toy innovation...and a balance should be struck. It feels we are at a three ring circus with these games now.
---
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#29 Posted: 03:27:08 30/04/2014
I have an idea (Points for those who get what I am referencing but with different words)

"Maybe they should take the Trap Team Portal, and use it with Sylanders 5"
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#30 Posted: 08:19:32 04/05/2014 | Topic Creator
They could do that, but I doubt they would bother. They have enough Characters and animations to develop with the Skylanders we have now, add in Trap Teams and "Part 5's" Roster PLUS VILLAINS of either game or BOTH...Chances are not Looking good on villains moving forward. Hopefully they will make use of the crystals in the future at least.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#31 Posted: 12:09:41 04/05/2014
They want to encourage the player to use Skylanders more.
GoldenCamo Green Sparx Gems: 146
#32 Posted: 17:05:39 04/05/2014
Quote: somePerson
They want to encourage the player to use Skylanders more.

Discourage the gimmick? I doubt they'd ever do that.
---
https://www.youtube.com/channe...LwpvF3KB_FrPY8g <----- My Youtube!!!
SSA: 31/32 ; SG: 15/16 ; SSF: 21/32 ; STT: 0/X ; Total: 67/80+
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me