Page 1 of 1
Question about the new "crystals"
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3551
#1 Posted: 00:45:32 26/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Why do there need to be different shapes for the crystals? I can understand the element part, since the trapable enemies must fall in one of the 8 categories...but the tiki and hammer, does that mean only that life enemies with a hammer can only be trapped...idek. I would love some clear insight on this, thanks!
---
My life is complete.
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#2 Posted: 00:58:01 26/04/2014
No, the different shapes are just to add some collectability would you want to buy the same shaped crystal over and over? The only shape that probably matters is Kaos'
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
jckelsall Blue Sparx Gems: 624
#3 Posted: 12:44:24 27/04/2014
It allows you to have a choice - if you don't like the look of the earth tiki, get the earth hammer instead - there is no functionality difference.
nocturnalnathan Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#4 Posted: 13:01:42 27/04/2014
The different shapes just help you remember which villain is in which crystal. If all of the crystals looked the same, and you had more than one of each element, just imagine trying to guess which one was which!
---
"Chicks dig giant robots"
milton310 Blue Sparx Gems: 958
#5 Posted: 14:35:49 27/04/2014
The differences in crystals allows you to be able to choose what you want and don't want. You really only need to get the trap which correlates to that villain you want to capture. Let's say you want to capture Kaos (might be overpowered), you would need to get the Kaos Trap, since that is the only trap which can capture him.

Secondly, I think that the crystals will be sold for $4.99 each. This comes from the basis of Infinity, where each Power Disk costs $4.59. These Traps will likely be a little more expensive, but still, who wouldn't want to capture Kaos!
---
"One choice can lead to a change to the metagame"
Member of the Smogon OU/Ban Committee
Head of Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Tiering List
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 17:16:08 27/04/2014
Too many questions on the crystals. Look at irate gamer's latest video or see "All we Know".

IMo 4.99 is too much for a crystal. I'm hoping for a 4 or 8 pack cause I'm not going to be chasing these things.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Kevinvert Gold Sparx Gems: 2146
#7 Posted: 17:22:18 27/04/2014
wow. i didnt even think about why they were different shapes. yeah 4 or 5 dollars sounds about right. this is going to be cool!
---
Team Hot Dog!
#8 Posted: 17:23:12 27/04/2014
at least 15 different shapes. 15 x 8 = 120 potential different crystals if you get them all.

Of course, expect some mutant variant or three.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#9 Posted: 17:24:17 27/04/2014
When u look at it from the standpoint of a crystal 4.99 seems like a lot. When u view it as 4.99 for a new playable characterx it doesnt seem as expensive. Which makes me continue to wonder why they went generic with the shapes.
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#10 Posted: 17:38:38 27/04/2014
Exactly how many different shapes and designs of the Trap crystals will there be?
GIANTSRULE Yellow Sparx Gems: 1660
#11 Posted: 17:38:46 27/04/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
at least 15 different shapes. 15 x 8 = 120 potential different crystals if you get them all.

120 thats a lot of crystals
---
"Taking Charge"
GoldenCamo Green Sparx Gems: 146
#12 Posted: 18:39:10 27/04/2014
Why would you want them all (collectors aside)? There seems to be no incentive.
---
https://www.youtube.com/channe...LwpvF3KB_FrPY8g <----- My Youtube!!!
SSA: 31/32 ; SG: 15/16 ; SSF: 21/32 ; STT: 0/X ; Total: 67/80+
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#13 Posted: 19:19:03 27/04/2014
If there are that many crystals, the people who work with Skylanders should create the biggest checklist for that.
#14 Posted: 19:47:33 27/04/2014
Quote: GoldenCamo

Correct a mundo, Mr. Kotter.
---
oufanindallas Blue Sparx Gems: 907
#15 Posted: 20:04:41 27/04/2014

There are only 40 trappable villians, there are 15 Crystals. Each can hold 4 villians at one time. How are you getting 120 crystals?
lordexodus Gold Sparx Gems: 2508
#16 Posted: 20:08:37 27/04/2014
^
"Each can hold 4 villians at one time"

Your evidence?

Also, what happens when a skylander figure is removed from the portal while playing a captured villain?
---
Need accurate & evident release info on Skylanders Imaginators...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:11:01 27/04/2014 by lordexodus
Epic popthorn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3277
#17 Posted: 20:40:44 27/04/2014
Quote: oufanindallas

There are only 40 trappable villians, there are 15 Crystals. Each can hold 4 villians at one time. How are you getting 120 crystals?

a trap can only hold 1 villain
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#18 Posted: 21:11:02 27/04/2014
Yeah, there hasn't been any proof of the traps holding up to 4 villains. And besides, there would be at most 5 designs for each elemental type. Not counting variants or the Kaos trap.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
#19 Posted: 21:16:05 27/04/2014

There will be at least 15 different designs on the crystals. There are 8 elements. do the math. Functionality wise, you are correct. You only need one crystal from every element to POTENTIALLY PLAY WITH ANY VILLAIN, but to avoid swapping villains on crystals you would need a maximum of 40 crystals. That still doesn't refute my claim that there will be at least 120 different crystals to POTENTIALLY purchase, depending on how you want to go about it.

The information about storing 4 characters on a crystal is false. Whether or not you store the villain on a crystal, they will always be available to load onto one via the prison / hub interface. But undeniably you need to start thinking 1 playable villain to 1 crystal....mkay?

Quote: lordexodus
^
"Each can hold 4 villians at one time"

Your evidence?

Also, what happens when a skylander figure is removed from the portal while playing a captured villain?

There is some mis information talking about up to 4 villains being able to be trapped on a crystal. I believe I saw it in a write up (was it Andy's?) I think the information is false. The irate gamer video with Lou spells it completely in my mind. The video is embedded in the All we Know thread.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 21:25:43 27/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
GoldenCamo Green Sparx Gems: 146
#20 Posted: 00:04:44 28/04/2014

Well, I suppose it would be convenient to have multiple crystals to bring along multiple villains.
---
https://www.youtube.com/channe...LwpvF3KB_FrPY8g <----- My Youtube!!!
SSA: 31/32 ; SG: 15/16 ; SSF: 21/32 ; STT: 0/X ; Total: 67/80+
#21 Posted: 02:00:48 28/04/2014

Well, I suppose it would be convenient to have multiple crystals to bring along multiple villains.

Absolutely, but I doubt folks will need one per villian. I think 3 or so per element will be the "sweet" spot between convenience and sheer craziness in managing all of these.
---
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#22 Posted: 02:32:41 28/04/2014
I plan on scoping out all "40+" villains before buying multiple crystals.
#23 Posted: 03:06:11 28/04/2014
I'll be scoping out gameplay. Not on board yet for this entry. My kid is going to have to pressure me to get this one. Just not feeling it yet.
---
oufanindallas Blue Sparx Gems: 907
#24 Posted: 13:42:51 28/04/2014
Quote: Epic popthorn

a trap can only hold 1 villain

From GameInformer:

Crystals
If you want to play as all of the villains in the game, you'll need to insert the crystal that represents the villain's elemental type. Yes, this means you'll need to have at least eight crystals – two of which come packaged with the game. Activision has no plans to sell the other crystals in blind packs. The crystals will be sold separately, and Activision is also looking into other ways to get them into players' hands.

Villains
Will you need over 40 crystals to contain the 40-plus villain characters? No. Any villain that is captured can either be sucked up into the crystal for immediate play or retired to the prison located in the hub world. The player can visit this location to switch out villains.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#25 Posted: 14:08:29 28/04/2014
Well, for me, I plan on having a crystal for every enemy. So the question for me is, how do I know which crystal has which villain? It would be cool if there was some way to tell which enemy is in which crystal.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#26 Posted: 15:34:23 28/04/2014
I'm afraid the only way to tell would be to put the crystal on the portal. I imagine third party crystal organizing boxes or something might start popping up.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#27 Posted: 15:44:22 28/04/2014
Quote: GameMaster78
Well, for me, I plan on having a crystal for every enemy. So the question for me is, how do I know which crystal has which villain? It would be cool if there was some way to tell which enemy is in which crystal.

This thing is crying for stickers. Worst case a label maker might suffice. The fact we have to do this is very irritating to me.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:44:43 28/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
madtyger Green Sparx Gems: 366
#28 Posted: 16:42:03 02/05/2014

This thing is crying for stickers. Worst case a label maker might suffice. The fact we have to do this is very irritating to me.

Ugh, labels would be such a pain to deal with. Hope you can see who you've trapped in the in-game menu or something. I'm just hoping traps won't be blind buys like the power discs. I wouldn't want to have a bunch of duplicate traps that I won't be able to get rid of.
---
Figures to trade: Quickdraw Rattle Shake (2), Easter Fryno, Easter Punk Shock
#29 Posted: 17:03:01 02/05/2014
Quote: madtyger

Ugh, labels would be such a pain to deal with. Hope you can see who you've trapped in the in-game menu or something. I'm just hoping traps won't be blind buys like the power discs. I wouldn't want to have a bunch of duplicate traps that I won't be able to get rid of.

What's worse? Stickers or putting the crystal in the game one at a time until you get who you want?
---
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#30 Posted: 22:47:47 02/05/2014
I would personally use some sort of online spreadsheet to see who is in what crystal.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
#31 Posted: 02:23:06 03/05/2014
Quote: zookinator
I would personally use some sort of online spreadsheet to see who is in what crystal.

Of course, but this is a stupid obvious problem they're putting buyers through--and it's dumb.
---
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#32 Posted: 03:14:48 03/05/2014

Of course, but this is a stupid obvious problem they're putting buyers through--and it's dumb.

Disagree. Not forcing me to buy a crystal per villain is an advantage. And I can't think of a way for the crystal to permanently announce who was in there and maintain the current flexibility without it being pretty expensive.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:16:02 03/05/2014 by Earth-Dragon
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#33 Posted: 06:33:14 03/05/2014
I'm not much for marking figures (Pretty much all I've done is sharpied my initials on the Green/Orange/Blue base of mine so they don't get mixed up) but once you find the villain you intend on keeping in a crystal, you could maybe write that villain's name or initials (WG for example) in an unobtrusive way on the crystal.
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
KiDFass65 Gold Sparx Gems: 2922
#34 Posted: 12:55:54 03/05/2014
Do I hear the screams of every collector on this site???
#35 Posted: 15:07:07 03/05/2014
Quote: Earth-Dragon

Disagree. Not forcing me to buy a crystal per villain is an advantage. And I can't think of a way for the crystal to permanently announce who was in there and maintain the current flexibility without it being pretty expensive.

Huh? I was talking about labeling...not about buying a crystal per villain. If I were getting the game, I would use a label maker to wrap the name. or tape an identifier to it with tape.
---
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#36 Posted: 19:21:56 03/05/2014
Bit of card over some foam. Cut crystal shaped holes and put it in shoe box. Could fit at least 30 neatly spaced in that.
WRITE on the cardboard the name of the villain.

If you have 40 spaces you only need to write the names once and put the crystal in the right "slot" when you capture him.
madtyger Green Sparx Gems: 366
#37 Posted: 16:31:44 05/05/2014
Quote: madtyger

What's worse? Stickers or putting the crystal in the game one at a time until you get who you want?

Oh I totally agree labels or some sort of chart is the way to go. Just wish they had something in-game to help out with that. Reminds me of swapping my Vita memory cards just to find one stinking game, lol.
---
Figures to trade: Quickdraw Rattle Shake (2), Easter Fryno, Easter Punk Shock
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#38 Posted: 19:46:40 05/05/2014
I guess I don't understand why you all are trying to make this so blasted complicated.

In between levels, stick in the desired element trap and plug in the desired trapped Villian.

If you only have one or two per element, it extremely easy to keep them sorted.....their in the holding cell versus some trap somewhere. If you want to make it complex, be my guest, but I don't see this as a "stupid obvious dumb problem" we're forced to suffer through. If I choose to keep it simple, the game is gonna let me.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:48:00 05/05/2014 by Earth-Dragon
sklndrBoom-zone Red Sparx Gems: 74
#39 Posted: 11:44:46 13/05/2014
My guese is that there will be 5 different shapes per element and not all of them are the same. Because there are 40+ villains to trap I think that means 40 and 1 for kaos. the reason I said the first thing is because 5 X 8 = 40 so that's my thought
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me