darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Trap Team 'trapping' mechanic discussion and theories
Page 1 of 1
Trap Team 'trapping' mechanic discussion and theories
pyro16 Green Sparx Gems: 260
#1 Posted: 23:23:50 23/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Hey everyone, so I just watched the announcement trailer for Trap Team as I'm sure you all have.

Traps! It's the new 'gimmick' in the series, and while we haven't learned everything about them, here's what I could glean from the trailer:

• They work as a separate accessory to place on the portal
• There are different types of traps, one for each Skylanders element, that can trap different types of enemies
• 40 or more different enemies to trap
• Speaker integrated into the portal so your trapped minions chatter
• Control either your Skylanders hero or your trapped minion, one at a time, switch back and forth inside the game with a button press
• Portal appears to support one trap item at a time

Speculation:
• Trapped enemy will presumably level up and have its chosen abilities etc. stored in the trap accessory

In some ways they seem comparable to Pokéballs. One very practical benefit is it allows Skylanders to have a lot more characters on its roster without adding separate new toys to stock on limited space store shelves.

My only worry right now is it adds a level of abstraction and distance from the 'toys coming to life' magic of Skylanders… but the benefits probably outweigh some of the slight negatives. Thoughts?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:23:38 24/04/2014 by pyro16
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#2 Posted: 23:32:47 23/04/2014
Chompie Mage is now playable= instant buy as I absolutely LOVE the Chompie Mage from giants.

Also Snapshot looks pretty cool
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:43:12 23/04/2014 by Windumup
dios Yellow Sparx Gems: 1487
#3 Posted: 23:35:19 23/04/2014
The toys are still coming to life, but the abstraction is only slightly further away now. Previously one had to abstract hats, aesthetic changes, etc. Now we abstract the "pet" that is in the trap. Not terribly different considering one cannot look at a toy and tell which path it is on, neither can we look at a toy and tell what is trapped inside. I approve of the new concept. Should be interesting.
#4 Posted: 23:37:38 23/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: dios
The toys are still coming to life, but the abstraction is only slightly further away now. Previously one had to abstract hats, aesthetic changes, etc. Now we abstract the "pet" that is in the trap. Not terribly different considering one cannot look at a toy and tell which path it is on, neither can we look at a toy and tell what is trapped inside. I approve of the new concept. Should be interesting.

True, though this is definitely a bigger step away. The way it uses the speaker on the portal sounds cute though and adding back some fun personality to the traps to offset this concern. So I'm pretty intrigued!
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#5 Posted: 23:37:53 23/04/2014
I really hope that we can release the villains for something better.
Failinhearts Gold Sparx Gems: 2376
#6 Posted: 00:05:27 24/04/2014
I still want to know HOW to get the trap crystals. Will they be bundled with Trap Masters? Will they be seperatley whether in Blind Bags or can be freely chosen.

Knowing that a Kaos one exists seems like they will be blind and the Kaos one will be the hardest to find.

Closest Thing I have to play as Zim in Skylanders.
---
SSA: 37/37. SG: 61/62. SSF: 73/75 STT: 42/78
Have left this forum, who knows if I'll come back...
A believer of Jesus Christ
GIANTSRULE Yellow Sparx Gems: 1660
#7 Posted: 00:07:05 24/04/2014
you can store 4 villians in one crystal they said to familygamertv
---
"Taking Charge"
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#8 Posted: 00:07:58 24/04/2014
The Kaos one will almost definitely be bundled with the game.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#9 Posted: 00:09:37 24/04/2014
Quote: Matteomax

...We've seen what will come with the game, the Kaos one doesn't.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#10 Posted: 00:13:25 24/04/2014
Quote: bionicle2809

My mistake. I have a feeling that it won't be a "blind bag" type of deal, but a pack that comes with 2 or 3 traps.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Natfire Gold Sparx Gems: 2192
#11 Posted: 00:13:53 24/04/2014
Maybe they could be hiding it behind the scenes for now.

Also, you can switch between the Skylander and the trapped villain(s) with a press of single button (as shown at 7:52 on the video).
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#12 Posted: 00:15:12 24/04/2014

My mistake. I have a feeling that it won't be a "blind bag" type of deal, but a pack that comes with 2 or 3 traps.

Well... There were 15 traps in the box, 16 Trap Masters... What if a trap comes with each Trap Master and the final 15 are via blind bags?
GIANTSRULE Yellow Sparx Gems: 1660
#13 Posted: 00:22:37 24/04/2014
there are 4 enemies in 1 key you can have up to 4 in just one and switch betweeen them
---
"Taking Charge"
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#14 Posted: 00:28:00 24/04/2014

Well... There were 15 traps in the box, 16 Trap Masters... What if a trap comes with each Trap Master and the final 15 are via blind bags?

I'll be frustrated if it's a case of 'Find the Ultra Rare Kaos Key' (1 to a box of 20) or something to that effect.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#15 Posted: 00:28:10 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: GIANTSRULE
there are 4 enemies in 1 key you can have up to 4 in just one and switch betweeen them

Where did you hear this? I get the impression you can just have one enemy trapped at a time in one, but maybe I'm wrong.
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#16 Posted: 00:29:45 24/04/2014
I'm guessing 16 Trappers, 2 for each element just like Swappers. Each Trapper will come with it's own unique key. One of the keys is a large hammer so I'm gonna assume that's Wallop's key. As for the Kaos key.... maybe there'll be a Trapper specifically tied to Kaos' story or maybe the Kaos trap will be available separately somehow.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#17 Posted: 00:30:57 24/04/2014
I'm gonna come up with the theory that Kaos Force was suppose to be Trap Team but got scraped.
#18 Posted: 00:42:10 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: blueruckus
I'm guessing 16 Trappers, 2 for each element just like Swappers. Each Trapper will come with it's own unique key. One of the keys is a large hammer so I'm gonna assume that's Wallop's key. As for the Kaos key.... maybe there'll be a Trapper specifically tied to Kaos' story or maybe the Kaos trap will be available separately somehow.

This sounds right, and they've also talked about 40 different enemies to trap, so I'm going to guess there's 5 unique enemies to trap tied to each element.
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#19 Posted: 01:12:06 24/04/2014
I sincerely hope TFB doesn't make the traps a blind buy like DI does for its power discs. That would be extremely irritating. The Kaos trap should be as easy to purchase as any other figure. I understand there may not be as many in a box/shipment, but don't make customers have to hunt for it because it's hidden.
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#20 Posted: 01:29:20 24/04/2014
Quote: blueruckus

I just saw a high-res pic of the Hammer crystal and it has a Life symbol on it while Wallop is Earth... so there goes that theory.
Trigger Fizz Blue Sparx Gems: 931
#21 Posted: 01:31:31 24/04/2014
Quote: RadSpyro

I'll be frustrated if it's a case of 'Find the Ultra Rare Kaos Key' (1 to a box of 20) or something to that effect.

I hope they do something like that. Blind bags are fun and it would seem so much cooler to get a Kaos trap that way.
---
smilie NO POTIONS, NO GLORY! smilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#22 Posted: 01:34:48 24/04/2014
I think it'd be acceptable if the price point is low. They don't look particularly big, so even at a $2.99 price point, that seems a bit much. 2 for that would be ok though.

Alternatively, what if they place a random one inside of a Trapper's package. So for the $15.99 point, you get the Trapper, and a Trap. That, reasonably, would allow them to keep the figures at a higher price point because they have something "extra" to them, like Giant's larger size/LC features and the Swapper's swap capabilities.

As a unwanted alternative, what if the random one packaged was blind bagged? so like, the trap was in the pack but obscured with a sticker or in a baggie so you couldn't see it?
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
GoHeels999 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1022
#23 Posted: 01:45:33 24/04/2014
I have NO interest in buying blind bags. I want to know what I am buying. Blind = Frustration
ViDeOmAnCiNi Platinum Sparx Gems: 7055
#24 Posted: 02:29:13 24/04/2014
Unfortunately I can see this going blind bag. Think of how much more of a cash cow it would be for Activision if all of us have to buy 75-100 bags to get 30 or 40 keys... They saw the huge return DI got on the power discs and probably bought into it. I hope to heck I am wrong.

-vm
---
♫ "Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I live for my dream and a pocketful of gold" ♫

FiUSAwS:G! http://bit.ly/R3L1lb
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#25 Posted: 03:02:42 24/04/2014
Quote: ViDeOmAnCiNi
Unfortunately I can see this going blind bag. Think of how much more of a cash cow it would be for Activision if all of us have to buy 75-100 bags to get 30 or 40 keys... They saw the huge return DI got on the power discs and probably bought into it. I hope to heck I am wrong.

-vm

If they go this route, I'll most assuredly skip the Villain Trap stuff entirely.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:03:29 24/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
icecube7731 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1298
#26 Posted: 03:49:11 24/04/2014
Quote: GamerDrone
I sincerely hope TFB doesn't make the traps a blind buy like DI does for its power discs. That would be extremely irritating. The Kaos trap should be as easy to purchase as any other figure. I understand there may not be as many in a box/shipment, but don't make customers have to hunt for it because it's hidden.

I completely agree that is one of the biggest negatives to DI and one of the reason why I won't play that game, and in DI the discs aren't necessary. In this game the crystals are essential so if they made them blind it would truly ruin this game on multiple levels.
---
37skylanders bsmilie rsmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
28skylanders + minis(no smilie)
SSF: All minus dark STT: All standard
Haseo Blue Sparx Gems: 889
#27 Posted: 03:52:46 24/04/2014
I hate blind bags everytime I see them at the store there all just ripped open and rendered unbuyable @.@
---
-something-
#28 Posted: 14:28:22 24/04/2014
Quote: icecube7731
Quote: GamerDrone

I completely agree that is one of the biggest negatives to DI and one of the reason why I won't play that game, and in DI the discs aren't necessary. In this game the crystals are essential so if they made them blind it would truly ruin this game on multiple levels.

Yep, the bags for the chips is the reason why I didn't even TRY Infinity. Be warned, Activision.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#29 Posted: 14:40:08 24/04/2014
I think it would be kind of cool if they had distribution events like Pokemon, where you bring the appropriate trap to a retailer and get a special "event" villain that is not obtainable in the game.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#30 Posted: 15:50:25 24/04/2014
I see one huge problem for this. If there's only one trap slot on the portal, who get to use the trap mechanic in a co-op game? I play a lot with my daughter and this is going to get crappy if only one of us can use the trap?
jet-vac6000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1718
#31 Posted: 15:51:21 24/04/2014
Traps are confirmed to NOT be coming in blind bags
Source FGTV (but I'm too lazy too link it...)
---
Eggs
#32 Posted: 16:28:25 24/04/2014
Quote: Tigorus
I see one huge problem for this. If there's only one trap slot on the portal, who get to use the trap mechanic in a co-op game? I play a lot with my daughter and this is going to get crappy if only one of us can use the trap?

Good question. I'm guessing player 1. Another minus for gameplay, imo.
---
Skylanders Dad Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#33 Posted: 16:32:13 24/04/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster

Good question. I'm guessing player 1. Another minus for gameplay, imo.

My younger is only turning 3 this year....but based on how kids are...I definitely envision this scenario if only one can use the crystal:

"I wanna be Kaos"

"Yeah, but I wanna be Chompy Mage"

"Yeah, but I'm player 1 and only Player 1 can be a villain so you can't be Chompy Mage while I'm Kaos"

"That's not fair."

"Daaaaaddd....Moooommmmm"
---
Here we go again...!
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#34 Posted: 16:41:10 24/04/2014
Since each Crystal can hold four captured enemies, wouldn't it stand to reason that both players could draw out 1 of the four bad guys in the crystal? I would assume that assigning each of the four bad guys to 1 of the four directions on the d pad would make this possible. And still, 1 button swappting.
Natfire Gold Sparx Gems: 2192
#35 Posted: 17:10:01 24/04/2014
Quote: jet-vac6000
Traps are confirmed to NOT be coming in blind bags
Source FGTV (but I'm too lazy too link it...)

In this article: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/...-trap-team.aspx
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#36 Posted: 17:19:08 24/04/2014
Here are my thoughts:

40 villains to trap, at least 4 of each of the 8 elements.
4 villains stored per trap
17 traps minimum, 2 for each element and 1 special trap (Kaos)
Trapped enemies can be swapped in/out of traps at the "Villain Vault" (confirmed by Paul Reiche)
In single player, you can choose who is the active villain in the trap (to allow for quick swapping between villain and Skylander)
In co-op, both players can select a different villain from the trap as their active villain
No upgrades or leveling up for Villains, default power set that doesn't change
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:19:39 24/04/2014 by wideawakewesley
#37 Posted: 23:57:00 24/04/2014
Quote: wideawakewesley
Here are my thoughts:

Trapped enemies can be swapped in/out of traps at the "Villain Vault" (confirmed by Paul Reiche)
In single player, you can choose who is the active villain in the trap (to allow for quick swapping between villain and Skylander)
In co-op, both players can select a different villain from the trap as their active villain

So in co-op mode both players are stuck playing the same element? That seems kind of bunk.
ShaneK Yellow Sparx Gems: 1736
#38 Posted: 00:15:39 25/04/2014
Here are my thoughts:

So in co-op mode both players are stuck playing the same element? That seems kind of bunk.

Opinion I believe.
#39 Posted: 00:33:08 25/04/2014
Quote: ShaneK
Here are my thoughts:

Opinion I believe.

Good point. I guess we'll have to wait and see. This is one of the few franchises that is holding to the non-split screen and encourage team work where most other franchises went split screen. I personally HATE split screen. Skylanders promotes team work and so far this single trap slot will do the opposite if it's just a single element at a time. Hopefully there's a local save feature that saves one baddy per play session or level and you just hit the tag out button to switch.
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#40 Posted: 14:07:43 25/04/2014
Just one question. When you use the Trap crystal to capture the Chompy Magr in Game 1, will you be able to recapture him in Game 2 or must it be another crystal of the same element?
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#41 Posted: 16:42:11 25/04/2014
Quote: TheShadowDragon
Just one question. When you use the Trap crystal to capture the Chompy Magr in Game 1, will you be able to recapture him in Game 2 or must it be another crystal of the same element?

Good question, my assumption would be:

* Any trapped villain, can be used in any game. e.g. if you have four saved games, you can use the Chompy Mage in all of them.
* If you've not yet used the Chompy Mage from game 1 in game 2. When you reach the point in game 2 where you fight the Chompy Mage, you'll be able to trap him (in a different trap).
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#42 Posted: 18:03:58 25/04/2014
Im thinking that the crystal is a blank chip that when u pick/capture your enemy it then writes to the chip in the crystal telling it which figure it is. You can overwrite that crystal by putting them in a jail etc but you cant have two on the crystal at a time. I do wonder how this is going to work for 2-player, would suck if only one gets to play a trapped enemy at a time. Maybe they will allow two portals to work at a time this go around? I know it's not ideal but id at least like the option.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me