Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The Marvel Universe is Ending [CLOSED]
Rendar Platinum Sparx Gems: 6555
#1 Posted: 01:49:58 21/01/2015 | Topic Creator
This is big. They are destroying every Marvel Universe in a big event and fusing together the classic Marvel universe and the Ultimate Marvel universe. I am scared for a lot of stuff...

http://www.newsarama.com/23276...-is-ending.html
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8733
#2 Posted: 01:52:27 21/01/2015
Didn't DC do this like 4 years ago?
Rendar Platinum Sparx Gems: 6555
#3 Posted: 02:58:33 21/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Sort of, but DC has done it a bunch of times. Marvel has never done this in their entire history.
Templarhunter97 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1362
#4 Posted: 03:01:00 21/01/2015
WTF NO.
---
We work in the dark to serve the light-Nothing is true-Everything is permitted.
And i am still waiting for a sequel to bully smilie
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#5 Posted: 03:32:05 21/01/2015
Quote: Rendar
This is big. They are destroying every Marvel Universe in a big event and fusing together the classic Marvel universe and the Ultimate Marvel universe. I am scared for a lot of stuff...

http://www.newsarama.com/23276...-is-ending.html

Uh, no. They aren't.
Sit down kiddos, this is gonna be a long one.

As a direct result of Wolverine's timestream meddling in Age of Ultron, a ton of stuff that wasn't supposed to happen to the main (616) Marvel universe happened. Examples of this are Galactus crossing over to the Ultimates universe, the Inheritors breaching the Multiverse to kill all the Spider-People, and Angela coming from the lost realm of Hevan to Midgard. All of these resulted in an unstable time-space continuum, forcing parallel universes to smash into each other (in most cases, quite literally) in what's come to be known as "Incursions". The Illuminati, a group of the smartest and most powerful Avengers, calculated that 616 would be the next to collide. The Avengers and Secret Avengers, in a final and very desperate move, ask Thanos for help, on the condition he's pardoned by the Avengers for a while.

During an attempt to stop the New Universe (Earth 148611, home to some kind of obscure heroes like Star Brand and Spitfire) from colliding, the Avengers send down a team comprised of Namor, Thanos, Black Bolt, and Black Panther down to the universe to plant a bomb that will equal the force of the universes colliding and repel the other universes. This nearly succeeds, until Black Panther forces Namor to atone for the destruction of Wakanda, and traps him there. With both Avengers teams knowing what Black Panther did, they begin taking sides, leaving 616 vulnerable to Incursion.

Other events might tie into the Multiverse colliding, such as Spider-Verse, with multiple Spiders being removed to clear things out, or The Black Vortex, a Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men crossover, but it's unknown how these will officially tie in.

In addition, over the summer, Marvel released several teaser posters for past events, ending with the Secret Wars poster, and a white one saying Everything Ends, with a date of Spring 2015. This coincides with Secret Wars coming out in May. The official press release for Secret Wars alluded to all the universes forming a new, bigger version of Battleworld, where the original Secret Wars were fought. In addition, all these mini events will take place on separate "islands", so things like Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies and X-Men '92 never meet. In all honesty, Battleworld could end up being the new "Marvel Universe", but I'm certain it will only be for a few months.

Most hardcore Marvel fans would be very angry if all the previous canon was forgotten, so there's not much chance of them doing that. All that's really for certain about Secret Wars is:
1. It's gonna be awesome
2. Universes will collide
3. Tons of people are gonna die

TL; DR, MARVEL ISN'T ENDING, A BIG EVENT IS HAPPENING AND IT WILL ENCOMPASS MORE THAN 616 AND THE ULTIMATE UNIVERSE.

Sources:

Quote: somePerson
Didn't DC do this like 4 years ago?

Yeah, they retconned nearly everything when The Flash found himself in an alternate, warring universe created by Reverse Flash. After he escaped, the DCU was reset, save for most Green Lantern and Batman lore.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:36:23 21/01/2015 by StriderSwag
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#6 Posted: 03:47:35 21/01/2015
After a while things will go back to normal and it'll be like nothing ever happened. New changes that come in will most likely be dropped after fanboy whining and the few positive changes that people actually like will stick around.

I will say though that massive confusing crossovers, including the buildup leading to it and the aftermath, make it generally difficult for casual fans like me (who follow the movies or shows or games) to really get into it outside of things other people say. Even when DC retconned nearly everything and started with the New 52, that previous stuff still lingers around in the background. I imagine similar will happen here.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:50:53 21/01/2015 by CAV
#7 Posted: 03:50:28 21/01/2015
Quote: CAV
After a while things will go back to normal and it'll be like nothing ever happened. New changes that come in will most likely be dropped after fanboy whining and the few positive changes that people actually like will stick around.

I'm not so sure about all of that. When they have something this big of scale, the repercussions are likely going to last a couple years. The Marvel Universe is still being affected directly by Age of Ultron.

Trust me, things are gonna be different for more than a year, but definitely not more than 5.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#8 Posted: 03:53:00 21/01/2015
^Well yeah after a while doesn't necessarily mean just a few months. But in time things will slowly revert back to normal and it'll just be an interesting changing point in comics (like Crisis on Infinite Earths).

To be honest news and stuff like this seem like
A. A reason for new guys to come in and try their hand at old franchises and story arcs and
B. A way to get attention and maximize profits.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:53:16 21/01/2015 by CAV
#9 Posted: 04:01:32 21/01/2015
^Well yeah after a while doesn't necessarily mean just a few months. But in time things will slowly revert back to normal and it'll just be an interesting changing point in comics (like Crisis on Infinite Earths).

To be honest news and stuff like this seem like
A. A reason for new guys to come in and try their hand at old franchises and story arcs and
B. A way to get attention and maximize profits.

For DC it generally does, with the exceptions of Crisis on Infinite Earths, Blackest Night, and Flashpoint. But I'll honestly be surprised if new characters that are basically confirmed to survive and live in whatever new universe Marvel has in store (such as Miles Morales Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, and Angela) get retconned out of the mainstream universe after a while.

A. This part sounds exciting to me. I'd love to see new takes on some of my favorite story arcs that are confirmed for Secret Wars, like Old Man Logan and Armor Wars.
B. Hell yeah about this though. Just Google Marvel and you'll either get Age of Ultron news or stuff about Secret Wars. Plus, IGN reported that Marvel is teaming up with Funko, Hasbro, and UppderDeck to release tons of new merch to get fans hyped, in addition to the Marvel Games team making Secret Wars an "interactive" experience.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6132
#10 Posted: 04:38:06 21/01/2015

I will say though that massive confusing crossovers, including the buildup leading to it and the aftermath, make it generally difficult for casual fans like me (who follow the movies or shows or games) to really get into it outside of things other people say. Even when DC retconned nearly everything and started with the New 52, that previous stuff still lingers around in the background. I imagine similar will happen here.

So much this.

It's one of the reasons I'm not that into DC (Blackest Night, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and likely many more examples) All the confusing crossovers that require reading every comic in the DC library to fully understand the story. While I do enjoy comics, I'm not a huge comic nerd (no offense to anyone) and am mostly just interested in reading X-Men & Spiderman, though X-Men can have it's own confusing storylines with its infinite number of characters, so I just read some of the old classic Spidey.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#11 Posted: 04:41:03 21/01/2015
Quote: Seiki

So much this.

It's one of the reasons I'm not that into DC (Blackest Night, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and likely many more examples) All the confusing crossovers that require reading every comic in the DC library to fully understand the story. While I do enjoy comics, I'm not a huge comic nerd (no offense to anyone) and am mostly just interested in reading X-Men & Spiderman, though X-Men can have it's own confusing storylines with its infinite number of characters, so I just read some of the old classic Spidey.

I'm the opposite. I prefer to immerse myself in the lore of whatever I get into, especially comics. I much prefer them to be in depth with things like events, making it seem like something bigger is at stake.
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3336
#12 Posted: 05:56:06 21/01/2015
My favorite Marvel Man is Beast-Boy
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#13 Posted: 15:49:48 21/01/2015
I want specifics on this.

Is Marvel ending any comics not related to their Secret Wars series or will they continue?
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#14 Posted: 17:50:42 21/01/2015
Quote: MoonHorizons
I want specifics on this.

Is Marvel ending any comics not related to their Secret Wars series or will they continue?

For a time, yes, it'll only be the ones connected to Secret Wars. It will only be for a few months though, then they'll probably have some new series.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me