Page 1 of 1
"Reset" Evolved Villains
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#1 Posted: 23:05:23 06/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Is there a way to reset an evolved villain...?

I don't want a green Gulper, a black Wolfgang or only Eon knows what else... DX
Color changes are a cheap way to call a villain "upgraded" in my opinion...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Zauron Green Sparx Gems: 162
#2 Posted: 23:06:33 06/10/2014
Unfortunately there does not seem to be, short of trying to find some way to force it to corrupt or something, besides buying a different Trap (the evolved status is saved in the toy itself, so resetting your saved game does nothing). I'm also bummed about this, the evolution doesn't seem to add all that much power and I often find that they look worse afterwards.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:06:59 06/10/2014 by Zauron
GatorShea Green Sparx Gems: 361
#3 Posted: 23:11:23 06/10/2014
They really should have implemented the ability to swap outfits or colors rather than forcing a worse look for the boss without any way to change it.
---
PSN: GatorShea Feel free to add me if you play on either the PS3 or PS4.
Charlio Green Sparx Gems: 240
#4 Posted: 23:18:45 06/10/2014
I'd love to know this too, it'd suck if I can't change Maskermind back, he looks hideous.

How about re-trapping the villain? Or buying a fresh trap and re-trapping? Anyone tried yet?

I wish they'd just put in a reset button like for the 'landers.
---
I'm making Skylander avatars, free for use: http://sta.sh/2z3bpmz23of
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#5 Posted: 23:19:50 06/10/2014
I miss my regular colored Bad Juju.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 23:23:10 06/10/2014
I'm really not liking many of these alt deco colors. I guess you could "recapture" the villain onto a different trap.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#7 Posted: 23:34:42 06/10/2014
A different trap works, each trap stores the "evolved" status of a villain separately (which means that if you want to use the same villain in more than one trap, you have to do the quest multiple times, once for each trap, if you prefer them evolved).

However once a trap has an evolved flag set for a villain, there's no way to reset it. Unless someone knows a way to force-corrupt a toy so that you can then use the reset "Fix broken toy" option from the main menu (it only shows up after the game decides a toy is corrupted)?
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#8 Posted: 23:37:32 06/10/2014
Don't the evolutions give you a longer timer, though? If so, then yeah, it kinda does suck that they'd force you to change your villains color in order to get more time with them.
min8or Yellow Sparx Gems: 1030
#9 Posted: 23:39:32 06/10/2014
i've found, for me, that the nearly inexhaustible timer out ways my dislike of the evolved colour for most of the villains.
the ability to choose the pre-evolved or evolved design would be simply wonderful though.
its been the same for quite a few skylanders too, Purple rattlesnake, gold dune bug, black rubble rouser etc
---
271figures+11Vehicles+55Traps(+Outlaw,Riot,Steamed,Rebel,Steampunk)+38Magic Items
TrapTeamNeeded:Life and Water Minis (s2)
#10 Posted: 23:44:20 06/10/2014
Quote: min8or
i've found, for me, that the nearly inexhaustible timer out ways my dislike of the evolved colour for most of the villains.
the ability to choose the pre-evolved or evolved design would be simply wonderful though.
its been the same for quite a few skylanders too, Purple rattlesnake, gold dune bug, black rubble rouser etc

Yeah good point, there are quite a few Skylanders where I wish I could have their new ability but keep their original look. Like Pop Thorn's Soul Gem. The Villains though are some of the worst texture swaps I've yet seen in the series though, IMHO - so far not one has actually looked better in their "evolved" form than their original form, at least to me. I want to do their quests because that's a cool feature, but I'd be willing to live with a shorter timer just to have them look like they used to again. Being able to just switch their look back in a menu would be even better though.

Its enough to make we want to get a second full set of traps and designate them as my "never evolve the villains" set of traps. But I'd settle for some option to reset the traps once I've done all the quests... again, anyone know of a reliable way to force a toy's data to corrupt (without permanently breaking it)?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:45:18 06/10/2014 by Zauron
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#11 Posted: 00:40:12 07/10/2014
I'd rather have ugly colored villains, than short timers, missing moves, or moves that lack higher damage.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#12 Posted: 01:09:17 07/10/2014
Quote: GameMaster78
I'd rather have ugly colored villains, than short timers, missing moves, or moves that lack higher damage.

Despite some info thrown around pre-release, it seems all villains have all their powers from the start, so you aren't missing moves, just the damage boosts and timer boosts. Personally, I like a challenge, so I'd actually rather have weaker villains that look better.

Anyway its not a question of preference, its great that the way you prefer it is the way the game already is, that's awesome for you. The best of both worlds would be of course if they upgraded versions looked better to everyone, or as a previous poster suggested, if we had the option to change their appearance (maybe in the Outfits menu) while keeping their powers. But since that's not likely to be patched in, it would be nice for those of us that would be happy to revert them to know if there is any way to reset a trap toy somehow (secret button code to unlock the "Fix broken toys" reset option on the main menu maybe?).
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#13 Posted: 01:18:57 07/10/2014
Easiest solution right now is to just buy another trap and don't upgrade the villains on it.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
Couragefan09 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3392
#14 Posted: 02:00:53 07/10/2014
So they didn't put in a way to reset traps? You've got to be kidding me....
truegamer64 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1334
#15 Posted: 02:05:05 07/10/2014
The evolved data is stored on the trap you used when evolving them. If you want to bring them back to normal, you have to put them on another trap. If you're like me, and you just bought the dark starter pack and the 2 trap triple packs so you'd have a trap for each element, you're gonna have to buy another trap.
#16 Posted: 02:26:07 07/10/2014
LOL, okay, so my attempts to try to purposefully corrupt the data on a trap in order for the game to give me the "this toy is corrupt reset toy?" option have failed. BUT, while trying things out, I DID manage to end up putting a villain into a trap of a different element than the villain's. I ended up with Broccoli Guy on a Water Trap and Buzzer Beak on an Undead Trap. Of course this did end up with their un-evolved form, since obviously I had never evolved them before on these wrong traps, but the effort to do it means this isn't really a great solution. Its also not a way to get around buying extra traps or anything, since you need to have a trap of the right element in the first place in order for it to work.

This is on the Wii U version. What I did is go to the Villain vault and select a villain of the same type as the trap I had in there. Then, basically right as I pressed A to confirm the villain I wanted, I very quickly swapped the trap that was in there with a different trap of a different element. Most of the time it just booted me back to the hub, but with just the right timing, it would instead sit there on the element disc screen where its flipping through the elements, then suddenly kick in and say I had trapped my villain. The villain is then reported as being of the element of the trap, not their original element, and seems to play just fine. I can remove the trap and put it in again and they still show up and play normally (though again with the wrong element).

So seems the traps not only have enough memory for every villain that they could trap, but also villains that they aren't even supposed to be able to trap!

---

Anyway, there's other reasons people might want a reset option besides reverting the look. I reset my Skylanders all the time for things like showing other people the game, or just to do a "full restart challenge" of some kind. Sucks there's no way to do it legitimately for traps/villains.
#17 Posted: 02:28:52 07/10/2014
Quote: WickedRogue
Easiest solution right now is to just buy another trap and don't upgrade the villains on it.

One must wonder if this was another smart marketing move...
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
acougan Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#18 Posted: 05:18:39 07/10/2014
Buying used traps or trading traps could be a problem now
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#19 Posted: 05:37:49 07/10/2014
Wouldn't recapturing that villain with the same trap work
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#20 Posted: 05:41:10 07/10/2014
No it doesn't, it would still have the same evolved color if you use the same trap on the villain.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#21 Posted: 06:04:46 07/10/2014
Am I the only person who likes slimmer the gulper he's cool
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
Thunder_Cracker Blue Sparx Gems: 811
#22 Posted: 06:16:32 07/10/2014
What if you trapped another villain and then went back and retrap the unevolved villain? I say this because I'm playing under one user and my daughter is playing a separate user and I am pretty sure she is overwriting my villains and then retraps a normal unevolved villain.
#23 Posted: 06:19:42 07/10/2014
It's the same result, Thunder.
---
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#24 Posted: 06:46:37 07/10/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
Quote: WickedRogue

One must wonder if this was another smart marketing move...

As in money wise? The fact that people are complaining over it yeah. It seems to have been a smart move.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
TTD Hunter Gems: 6345
#25 Posted: 15:17:49 07/10/2014
I'll get 2 traps of every element, one trap I'll evolve all the villains and the other trap I won't evolve them as some villains I just don't like evolved.
siowm6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1482
#26 Posted: 15:34:15 07/10/2014
Quote: Zauron
LOL, okay, so my attempts to try to purposefully corrupt the data on a trap in order for the game to give me the "this toy is corrupt reset toy?" option have failed. BUT, while trying things out, I DID manage to end up putting a villain into a trap of a different element than the villain's. I ended up with Broccoli Guy on a Water Trap and Buzzer Beak on an Undead Trap. Of course this did end up with their un-evolved form, since obviously I had never evolved them before on these wrong traps, but the effort to do it means this isn't really a great solution. Its also not a way to get around buying extra traps or anything, since you need to have a trap of the right element in the first place in order for it to work.

This is on the Wii U version. What I did is go to the Villain vault and select a villain of the same type as the trap I had in there. Then, basically right as I pressed A to confirm the villain I wanted, I very quickly swapped the trap that was in there with a different trap of a different element. Most of the time it just booted me back to the hub, but with just the right timing, it would instead sit there on the element disc screen where its flipping through the elements, then suddenly kick in and say I had trapped my villain. The villain is then reported as being of the element of the trap, not their original element, and seems to play just fine. I can remove the trap and put it in again and they still show up and play normally (though again with the wrong element).

So seems the traps not only have enough memory for every villain that they could trap, but also villains that they aren't even supposed to be able to trap!

---

Anyway, there's other reasons people might want a reset option besides reverting the look. I reset my Skylanders all the time for things like showing other people the game, or just to do a "full restart challenge" of some kind. Sucks there's no way to do it legitimately for traps/villains.

My son's birthday isn't until Sunday 10/12, so I haven't been able to open and play with this yet. But after Sunday, I will find a way to reset the traps. I have been able to fix alot of these odd glitches (L Chop Chop Quest Glitch). So I am sure I will be able to figure out how to reset traps too.
#27 Posted: 16:00:59 07/10/2014
Quote: siowm6
My son's birthday isn't until Sunday 10/12, so I haven't been able to open and play with this yet. But after Sunday, I will find a way to reset the traps. I have been able to fix alot of these odd glitches (L Chop Chop Quest Glitch). So I am sure I will be able to figure out how to reset traps too.

Oh man I hope so, that would be sweet! I was showing a friend the game a bit and was annoyed that I couldn't show them what the villains looked like before I evolved them. It only takes a few minutes to re-evolve them anyway so I totally wouldn't have minded resetting them if the option was available to show what they looked like before.
#28 Posted: 16:21:43 07/10/2014

---

Assuming the editor can be used...simply comparing trap before and after being evolved should do the trick.
---
#29 Posted: 16:29:14 07/10/2014
Assuming the editor can be used...simply comparing trap before and after being evolved should do the trick.

Is this editor of which you speak something that everyone has access to, or do I have to buy it from some Chinese import shop? I haven't had much interest in hacking the game before but if its not a huge mess to set up I might be willing to do it for this case.
#30 Posted: 16:30:33 07/10/2014 | Topic Creator

---

I honestly hope you will succeed.

Please, if so, make sure to create a new topic.

You would save me a consistent sum of money. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#31 Posted: 19:09:02 07/10/2014

True, I don't see any issue with the figures themselves. But there could be issues with the traps. I will find out next week. But there is always a workaround, even if some programming is needed.
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#32 Posted: 19:22:56 07/10/2014
I wonder....if the villains evolved colors were their original ones, and vice-versa, would people be happy with evolving villains even if you can't change their colors back?
#33 Posted: 19:27:48 07/10/2014
Quote: Mrmorrises
I wonder....if the villains evolved colors were their original ones, and vice-versa, would people be happy with evolving villains even if you can't change their colors back?

I doubt it, there's probably some villains that do look cooler in their alt color scheme. Actually I liked Bruiser Cruiser better in his alt colors, for example.
jbkaok Blue Sparx Gems: 635
#34 Posted: 21:54:46 07/10/2014
The downside to resetting would be that you could erase a villain variant...
---
A sword of storms! smilie smilie
#35 Posted: 23:33:11 07/10/2014
Quote: jbkaok
The downside to resetting would be that you could erase a villain variant...

All depends on how the data is written. If it is in the first few lines like it is for the figures, then no issue. If it is in the rest of the data like upgrades, gold etc., then simply saving a copy of the data that you can write back later would fix this issue.
#36 Posted: 23:36:21 07/10/2014
Yeah if the game officially supported a reset on a trap or just on a specific villain, I would imagine they would have set it up to not make you lose your variant. Ideally, they'd make it so when you go into the character screen (where you can set their hat, trinket, and nickname) you'd have a Reset option and all it would reset is that particular villain's hat, nickname, trinket, and "evolved" flag, rather than resetting the whole trap, and would leave the "variant" flag alone.

But since its not an officially supported feature, yes any workaround would have to take that into account.
Draicen Yellow Sparx Gems: 1341
#37 Posted: 13:20:29 08/10/2014
OK....let's take this one a time

1) The traps can be read by editors
2) Traps use a completely different memory map than ordinary figures
3) The variant flags are NOT protected

Hackers: Be careful of what you fiddle with, the results could be unpleasant
---
Gamer, Programmer, Engineer, Soldier, Uncle, Collector...that should cover it, I think.
LordSirrus Green Sparx Gems: 417
#38 Posted: 14:01:51 08/10/2014
Careful... you mentioned an editor, now this whole thread will probably get deleted.. er... moderated.

><
---
Threads about moderated messages get moderated. Moderations for everyone, on my tab...
More like closedspyro.net...
TOlofter Yellow Sparx Gems: 1021
#39 Posted: 14:15:27 08/10/2014
I've somewhat warmed up to the color changes now. It's their "good" color now that they're redeemed. Though I'd still rather their original looks.
#40 Posted: 14:42:19 08/10/2014
Quote: Draicen
OK....let's take this one a time

1) The traps can be read by editors
2) Traps use a completely different memory map than ordinary figures
3) The variant flags are NOT protected

Hackers: Be careful of what you fiddle with, the results could be unpleasant

Too easy, read the trap. Copy and save trap. Upgrade in game at will. Read and save new version. Write between upgraded and stock trap at will. As long as you name the files, and don't overwrite the wrong one you will never have an issue. Make a back up of the original if you are unsure about accidentally ruining your save.

Thank you for saving me the time.
#41 Posted: 14:49:38 08/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: TOlofter
I've somewhat warmed up to the color changes now. It's their "good" color now that they're redeemed. Though I'd still rather their original looks.

Why not change their look a bit, then?

Not a cheap recoloring, but upgraded weapons, different dresses and such.
Something that makes them feel REALLY evolved, and not just fallen into a bucket of paint...

If I wanted different colored villains, I would have bought variants.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#42 Posted: 16:28:03 08/10/2014
Honestly most of the recolors don't bother me too much, the worst offender is Tussle Sprout, which is a villain I actually liked quite a bit (more than I expected to). He looked like, well like a sprout before, but now he's all dark purple and ugly smilie.
acougan Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#43 Posted: 13:15:13 19/10/2014
I have no success reading the traps (just opened from starter pack) using Skylander Editor.exe using the 3DS portal on my PC.

If others have any success to backup the traps, please share.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#44 Posted: 13:35:25 19/10/2014
Quote: acougan
I have no success reading the traps (just opened from starter pack) using Skylander Editor.exe using the 3DS portal on my PC.

If others have any success to backup the traps, please share.

go ask here...
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=90643

there you will meet the guy that make the backup program...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me