Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Fox News host calls Robin Williams 'such a coward' over alleged suicide
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Fox News host calls Robin Williams 'such a coward' over alleged suicide [CLOSED]
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#1 Posted: 13:18:21 15/08/2014 | Topic Creator

Disgusting.
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#2 Posted: 13:22:46 15/08/2014
*strangling hand motions*

some people are just awful
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6683
#3 Posted: 13:30:24 15/08/2014
Well he can go step on a lego
---
Gay 4 GARcher
LegoLander Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#4 Posted: 13:59:36 15/08/2014
Quote: DragonCamo
Well he can go step on a lego

You called?smilie
Also, Fox News is staffed by idiots and apathetics. I hope they burn.
In a pile of Lego.
---
The person who finally changed his Christmas avatar. Give me a cookie.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#5 Posted: 14:09:27 15/08/2014
What a DICK
ClayFace Blue Sparx Gems: 835
#6 Posted: 14:27:37 15/08/2014
Genie would not be impressed. He'd tell him to "SIT DOWN!"
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#7 Posted: 14:31:51 15/08/2014
He should burn in hell for saying such a thing.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#8 Posted: 14:32:19 15/08/2014
That jerk..
---
#hu
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#9 Posted: 14:32:29 15/08/2014
I haven't seen the video yet, but suicide is an act of selfishness and cowardlyness. I love the guy, but suicide isn't the way to go.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:33:32 15/08/2014 by zer0dch
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#10 Posted: 14:38:18 15/08/2014
Quote: zer0dch
I haven't seen the video yet, but suicide is an act of selfishness and cowardlyness. I love the guy, but suicide isn't the way to go.

[User Posted Image]

watch this get MMd
#11 Posted: 14:44:42 15/08/2014
Quote: ZapNorris

[User Posted Image]

watch this get MMd

What? Robin Williams is an excellent actor and comedian, but suicide IS cowardly and selfish. Why would it not be? Please, explain this to me.
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#12 Posted: 14:54:06 15/08/2014

[User Posted Image]

watch this get MMd

What? Robin Williams is an excellent actor and comedian, but suicide IS cowardly and selfish. Why would it not be? Please, explain this to me.

I could imagine after a few decades with serious depression, you'd feel really terrible. Maybe he just couldn't handle it anymore.
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6683
#13 Posted: 14:55:06 15/08/2014

[User Posted Image]

watch this get MMd

To a point it can be selfish. But it is NOT cowardly. It's not easy to just off yourself from the world. People don't seem to realize that people who try and commit suicide hurt a lot before they do it or attempt it. In there mind, they may think that know one cares about them, that they are alone in the world and would be better off to everyone dead. Yes he was an actor that many people loved, but he was still human. Depression is terrible and can make people do this on a whim as they are a slave to their emotions. Suicide is not a cowards way out. Some people are just so sick and tired of hurting everyday, they can't handle it. But yes, it can be selfish as they usually are only thinking about their pain and how bad they feel, not how others will feel when they are gone. Again, in a depression they wouldn't think about how others feel, sometimes, as I said, they'd think people would be better off without them.
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#14 Posted: 15:03:57 15/08/2014
Quote: DragonCamo

[User Posted Image]

watch this get MMd

To a point it can be selfish. But it is NOT cowardly. It's not easy to just off yourself from the world. People don't seem to realize that people who try and commit suicide hurt a lot before they do it or attempt it. In there mind, they may think that know one cares about them, that they are alone in the world and would be better off to everyone dead. Yes he was an actor that many people loved, but he was still human. Depression is terrible and can make people do this on a whim as they are a slave to their emotions. Suicide is not a cowards way out. Some people are just so sick and tired of hurting everyday, they can't handle it. But yes, it can be selfish as they usually are only thinking about their pain and how bad they feel, not how others will feel when they are gone. Again, in a depression they wouldn't think about how others feel, sometimes, as I said, they'd think people would be better off without them.

Its incredibly late for me to be up so disregard this comment if it sounds like babble, but I was meaning it was cowardly for him due to lack of will to live and face hard times. Suicide is incredibly selfish for those affected surrounding him though.

The response I got from Zap was incredibly mean spirited though. Really unnecessary. Can I be viewed as a jerk for thinking Robin Williams exit was a bad decision? Yeah, but it was indeed an act of cowardliness no matter what way you view it.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#15 Posted: 15:16:44 15/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Robin fought his depression for decades, it's not like it was on a whim. Depression is a legitimate illness, and is what ultimately took his life.
Troll Slug Ripto Gems: 2054
#16 Posted: 15:33:31 15/08/2014
Wtf? Coward?
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12221
#17 Posted: 16:30:03 15/08/2014

How the **** is facing death on your own terms cowardly? The ones who cling onto life at the last moments not wanting to die are the cowards.

Think of depression of a severed internal blood vessel. The bleeding is constant, you feel it during the day and night, even in your dreams you can't escape. Eventually the bleeding stops and you become nothing but a husk. You either feel pain or nothing at all. Joy is completely gone and you can't figure out why. Everyone throws their two cents worth at you, enforcing their selfish and rude opinions on how you should live with no understanding, knowledge and consideration on how you feel. I keep getting told life is made by your choices, and if that's true then suicide is a part of life and I'll make my own decision on weather I'll do it or not.

And how is it selfish to those around you? If someone I loved killed themselves, it was their own choice and they're no longer in pain, for the first time in their life, they're free from everything. But to say it was selfish of them and now you're in pain, guess what, you're now feeling what they felt and you hate them for it. How selfish and cowardly is that? You've learnt nothing.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:39:51 15/08/2014 by Spyro Fanatic
huge dotd freak Emerald Sparx Gems: 3354
#18 Posted: 16:36:48 15/08/2014
He put out an apology saying he was nit calling him a coward, he was thinking out loud to himself trying to figure whatwould make ssomeone leave their family behind, he was not calling Robin Williams a coward, he simply used the wrong words at the wrong time
---
Do you not like my mouth words?
assassinelf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1180
#19 Posted: 16:37:09 15/08/2014

"Oh, did you know that staring death in the face isn't even scary? It's even less scary if you know for sure you will end up dead after said encounter."
---
Rickinelf: I ship it
Check out Survivor! Season 10! In forum games! Yay!
#20 Posted: 16:39:02 15/08/2014
Quote: Spyro Fanatic

How the **** is facing death on your own terms cowardly? The ones who cling onto life at the last moments not wanting to die are the cowards.

Think of depression of a severed internal blood vessel. The bleeding is constant, you feel it during the day and night, even in your dreams you can't escape. Eventually the bleeding stops and you become nothing but a husk. You either feel pain or nothing at all. Joy is completely gone and you can't figure out why. Everyone throws their two cents worth at you, enforcing their selfish and rude opinions on how you should live with no understanding, knowledge and consideration on how you feel. I keep getting told life is made by your choices, and if that's true then suicide is a part of life and I'll make my own decision on weather I'll do it or not.

I apologize, but what others interpret that is cowardly may differ from your point. That doesn't mean you need to get pissy and defensive though.

Some may think that he was a coward for being scared and not living his life to the fullest, but I digress. The majority of the users here don't even understand the situation and therefore there isn't much to discuss about it.
#21 Posted: 16:39:14 15/08/2014
He put out an apology saying he was nit calling him a coward, he was thinking out loud to himself trying to figure whatwould make ssomeone leave their family behind, he was not calling Robin Williams a coward, he simply used the wrong words at the wrong time
---
#22 Posted: 16:39:52 15/08/2014
Why is my post there twice? ?.?
---
#23 Posted: 16:42:18 15/08/2014
Quote: huge dotd freak
Why is my post there twice? ?.?

Why did you double post? P:
#24 Posted: 16:43:01 15/08/2014

I apologize, but what others interpret that is cowardly may differ from your point. That doesn't mean you need to get pissy and defensive though.

Some may think that he was a coward for being scared and not living his life to the fullest, but I digress. The majority of the users here don't even understand the situation and therefore there isn't much to discuss about it.

Getting pissy and defensive? I was only making a point. If you feel threatened by it, then read deeper.
#25 Posted: 16:48:07 15/08/2014

How the **** is facing death on your own terms cowardly?

What, you werent pissy when typing that out? Otherwise you just sound like an ass, dude.
#26 Posted: 16:52:07 15/08/2014

What, you werent pissy when typing that out? Otherwise you just sound like an ass, dude.

You need to take a look at how you're sounding now. You're judging my posts by the language I use and not the meaning. Don't expect everyone to sugar coat everything for you.

I recall you being offended by Zap's post. If you can't handle criticism, don't give it out and wait for the exact reply you want to hear.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:55:21 15/08/2014 by Spyro Fanatic
#27 Posted: 16:55:32 15/08/2014

You need to take a look at how you're sounding now. You're judging my posts by the language I use and not the meaning. Don't expect everyone to sugar coat everything for you.

So, I'm looking a a mirror, right? Because you and I, have practically given nothing to this topic but derailing it with our argument. I never asked for sugar coating, where the hell do you get that anyways?

I can admit, yeah, I'm coming off as a douche. Although, you're doing the exact same thing from another point of view.

edit: Quote:
I recall you being offended by Zap's post. If you can't handle criticism, don't give it out and wait for the exact reply you want to hear.

LOL.
What? Zap's post was literally a big "**** you" to me. Zap and a few other users always take what chance they can to attack me, but it's nonsensical. It added NOTHING to the topic. You and I shared a FEW points, but we eventually just derailed the topic.

There is legitimately nothing other to post here anymore, so I'm done with this topic.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:59:27 15/08/2014 by zer0dch
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8741
#28 Posted: 16:56:44 15/08/2014
Quote: HotDogAndZap
*strangling hand motions*

some people are just awful

Ew...
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#29 Posted: 18:23:14 15/08/2014
I'm very upset that Robin is gone and that he took his own life. It's tragic that he wasn't able to overcome his depression despite years of efforts and attempts at it (as well as sobering up). And that guy really needs to word his thoughts better and not be a dick.

BUT

I really hope people aren't going to start justifying suicide now or even implying that people who don't commit suicide are the cowardly ones.

And how is it selfish to those around you? If someone I loved killed themselves, it was their own choice and they're no longer in pain, for the first time in their life, they're free from everything. But to say it was selfish of them and now you're in pain, guess what, you're now feeling what they felt and you hate them for it. How selfish and cowardly is that? You've learnt nothing.

Suicide has always been considered a permanent solution to a temporary problem (even Robin has said that in interviews in the past). Robin was an exception in that depression plagued him for years (perhaps decades), but for most of us fits of actual depression don't last nearly as long. And when you commit suicide, that's it. Game over. It's done with. You felt that the only way to handle your depression and bad thoughts was to take your entire life away and leave your family and friends in a state of grief and guilt. That's selfish. And a refusal to handle depression head on and end your life is also cowardly. It may be a very scary idea to kill yourself and many people who attempt suicide find a way over that fear, but it's still taking the easier way out and damaging everybody around you in the process. It's like self-destructing.

And that last paragraph of yours would only further make the other party feel guilty over the actions of somebody they loved. What if they didn't do anything to cause their depression? What if they did something but the person never said it?

We seem to be going off the implication that whoever is depressed is depressed on the scale as Robin was, and at a similar length. Robin was a special case of someone who tried for years to get help and get over it and he just couldn't (and even then I find it tragic he took himself). Most people aren't like that. They're depressed for a few months, maybe a few years, and they still have moments where they find peace and happiness. Perfectly capable to get help, and if it's a teen suffering it, it's also very easy to assume that it'll be over once they escape high school or whatever it is that plagues them.

So yeah. I do think that in most situations suicide is a selfish and, perhaps even cowardly act. Killing yourself ends up appearing and being the easier way out of temporary problems. And when you do it, you're not only ending your life forever, but you're also condemning people who cared about you to feel just as bad as you did.

Just gonna reiterate that what I said above is not about Robin. I don't like that he committed suicide but I also understand that this has bothered him for a large chunk of his adult life and he had already tried to get help.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:25:34 15/08/2014 by CAV
Crownless King Yellow Sparx Gems: 1190
#30 Posted: 18:27:48 15/08/2014
While I wasn't as mournful as others when I heard about his death, I have to say, someone who ends up killing themselves while suffering under depression are clearly haunted by their inner demons and it came to the point where he probably felt he couldn't get help so taking his life was the only way he probably felt was necessary to free himself of the pain. Is suicide cowardly? To an extent, but someone would only commit the act as a last resort, like I said before he probably felt that no one could help him. And even if it is cowardly to you, it's pretty damn digusting and downright disrespectful to call someone that right after their death while everyone who knows him are grieving. Honestly, doing something like this is clearly a ploy for attention.
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#31 Posted: 18:28:15 15/08/2014
What a vile piece of crap that news reporter is.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
Phantom Platinum Sparx Gems: 5241
#32 Posted: 18:34:55 15/08/2014
Not cool, Fox.
---
CAUTION!
Falling Chandeliers
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8741
#33 Posted: 18:46:02 15/08/2014
The only suicide I'm okay with is the one where you are gonna dying slowly and you just want to pull the plug.

Fun Fact: All Golden Gate Bridge jumpers who survived (33) all regretted jumping.
#34 Posted: 18:47:56 15/08/2014
^Yeah you're bound to regret jumping if you survive and now suffer from incredible pain.
assassinelf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1180
#35 Posted: 19:13:41 15/08/2014
I, personally, have never experienced depression. But I know it's a terrible thing to have to go through because of my cousin Sam (1998-2013.)
---
Rickinelf: I ship it
Check out Survivor! Season 10! In forum games! Yay!
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#36 Posted: 20:26:24 15/08/2014
I've stayed up many a night talking people out of it.

I'd rather not discuss my true thoughts on suicide.
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 10161
#37 Posted: 20:36:37 15/08/2014
Apparently there's a petition going around to get this news anchor fired for saying that
---
Twinkies and 2hus
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3336
#38 Posted: 20:37:45 15/08/2014
Quote: Iceclaw
Apparently there's a petition going around to get this news anchor fired for saying that

Where do I sign?
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#39 Posted: 20:43:52 15/08/2014
I think both sides of this argument are pathetic.

"Cowardice" isn't something that's really applicable in the subject of suicide, and it's very demeaning to think it is.

Suicide isn't a cowardly action, nor is resisting it. Plus, cowardice is subjective as not everyone is afraid of the same things. For example, if someone who did not fear death but had nothing to really live for committed suicide, how can you claim "cowardice"? They didn't fear death or life in this instance.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 10161
#40 Posted: 20:46:00 15/08/2014
Quote: Lunarz
Quote: Iceclaw

Where do I sign?

Right here
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#41 Posted: 20:53:55 15/08/2014
Oh, and as hateful as this guy is right now, I'm not going to advocate him getting fired unless he has no family to look after. Because his family, if he has one, does not deserve to suffer for something he said.
---
#42 Posted: 20:54:06 15/08/2014
EDIT: ^I agree with that. He ****ed up one time; his credibility is now in shambles. He doesn't need to lose his way of supporting a family too.

Quote: sonicbrawler182

"Cowardice" isn't something that's really applicable in the subject of suicide, and it's very demeaning to think it is.

Suicide isn't a cowardly action, nor is resisting it. Plus, cowardice is subjective as not everyone is afraid of the same things. For example, if someone who did not fear death but had nothing to really live for committed suicide, how can you claim "cowardice"? They didn't fear death or life in this instance.

But then what is the purpose of taking your life? Find something to live for.

And it still stands as selfish as you are then damaging everybody around you when you kill yourself for seemingly no reason.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:55:02 15/08/2014 by CAV
#43 Posted: 21:08:08 15/08/2014
Quote: CAV
EDIT: ^I agree with that. He ****ed up one time; his credibility is now in shambles. He doesn't need to lose his way of supporting a family too.

Quote: sonicbrawler182

But then what is the purpose of taking your life? Find something to live for.

And it still stands as selfish as you are then damaging everybody around you when you kill yourself for seemingly no reason.

I was painting an extreme example. For someone who may not have a family and such, just to emphasise the point.

I also think selfishness or selflessness should not really come into the equation when discussing suicide. Things such as selfishness and cowardice are trivial matters to bring into it.

Frankly, when I'm dealing with people who seem to want to die, I don't concern myself with giving them a derogatory label, especially since the friends and family that are often brought into the equation by the suicidal person's detractor are not generally concerned with that either. I'm far more concerned with making sure they don't have to be upset and stricken with death in the first place.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:09:27 15/08/2014 by sonicbrawler182
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#44 Posted: 21:22:13 15/08/2014
When people who stop *****ing about suicide being selfish and cowardly. Please come back. I am pretty sure many people who kill themselves understand the grief they can cause, but they are so depressed, that they cannot bare it any longer. How deeply depressed a person can be can vary, some have bad days, some have good days, some have days where they cannot take it any longer and think so poorly of themselves. It was just one of those days for him, where he felt so defeated, so depressed that he couldn't go on. Maybe they are have tried everything but nothing has worked, maybe they want help but cannot find the means to ask for it because they feel inferior and letting others know about there problems depresses then even more. I highly doubt that if people who believed it was cowardly and selfish go through something like robin, maybe then they will change their mind set. I find it utterly appalling how people view suicide as a vain and weak route. They need to put themselves in the depressed individual's shoes before making a judgement. I'm also disgusted how people now see him as a wimp. I see him a hero because of what he has done and fighting a personal battle for so long. He was a great actor and hiliarious individual and that is what I will remember him by. Depression is an illnes, just like schizophrenia, just like diabetes, just like cancer. So please really think before you berate someone who has attempted or gone through with suicide.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:23:31 15/08/2014 by Rand O M
#45 Posted: 21:23:32 15/08/2014
@Brawler Well of course when actually handling the issue with someone who is suicidal you aren't going to label them cowardly or selfish. But it is worth noting to them that they can hurt other people with their decision and that there may be an alternative solution.

@RandOM Nobody who is talking negatively about suicide is talking negatively about Robin. Myself and others have made it perfectly clear that Robin was a different case and that anything we say is NOT directed towards him.

And as someone who has gone through bouts of depression (clinically diagnosed) and still hasn't killed himself, there are other ways to deal with depression. Suicide is usually not the answer.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:27:00 15/08/2014 by CAV
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#46 Posted: 21:31:46 15/08/2014
Quote: CAV
@Brawler Well of course when actually handling the issue with someone who is suicidal you aren't going to label them cowardly or selfish. But it is worth noting to them that they can hurt other people with their decision and that there may be an alternative solution.

@RandOM Nobody who is talking negatively about suicide is talking negatively about Robin. Myself and others have made it perfectly clear that Robin was a different case and that anything we say is NOT directed towards him.

And as someone who has gone through bouts of depression (clinically diagnosed) and still hasn't killed himself, there are other ways to deal with depression. Suicide is usually not the answer.

I was just talking in general not just about Robin. I'm saying what Robin has gone through others have too.
#47 Posted: 21:45:24 15/08/2014
Thing is, anyone who deals with suicidal feelings knows of the risk of hurting others. How can they not? We see so much talk in our society about how people who commit suicide are selfish cowards, that it's impossible to not think that. Even if society didn't do that, it's still one of the earliest questions one will ask themselves. It also doesn't help that some religions would have people believe they will burn in hell for doing it. So yeah, the ramifications of suicide are in plain sight to most, if not all people who consider it. Sometimes that just isn't enough though.

And I think to say "suicide is not the answer" is sugar coating it, and also disregarding the fact that, not all suicides are the result of someone looking for an answer to any question, literally or figuratively.

And even then, the fact is, for some, suicide is an answer. An option they can take. It's why they consider it in the first place. It may not be the end all be all, and they may not take that option at all in the end, but it was something they could have done to be relieved of a problem, or to end something they feel is overstaying it's welcome, if that is in anyway related to their motive to begin with.

At the end of the day, I care not to label suicide in derogatory ways, I care not to point out the painfully obvious, universal facts to those I find who are going through thoughts of it (whether it's someone directly confiding in me, someone I found out, or someone I'm not speaking to at all). One must deal with each case individually. We like to think that suicide is a simple issue that we can form general thoughts on as it makes it easier for us to comprehend when someone we care about takes their own life, but that mindset is actually part of the problem. In a lot of cases, the people who would cry for the "selfish coward" of a suicidal person, are the biggest and most selfish cowards of all. And in some cases, people just throw all intelligence out the window when dealing with suicide.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:47:39 15/08/2014 by sonicbrawler182
#48 Posted: 22:04:20 15/08/2014
Not all suicides are in an attempt to find an answer or a solution, but the vast majority are. And while I can think of a few reasons where committing suicide is a viable option, most people who do consider suicide are not in those situations, and have access to another form of help.

I just think many people that resort to suicide (actually doing it; not just thinking it) go into it way too soon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:04:49 15/08/2014 by CAV
#49 Posted: 22:25:35 15/08/2014
Quote: assassinelf
I, personally, have never experienced depression. But I know it's a terrible thing to have to go through because of my cousin Sam (1998-2013.)

WTF. At 14/15? I'm sorry to hear that. That's really messed up.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me