Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Y'know What I Miss? [CLOSED]
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#1 Posted: 02:16:33 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
The in-depth story, character, and plot discussions we all used to have around here. Maybe I'm just not in the right threads, but it seems like everything in the Skylanders boards is about mechanics and toys (which is understandable; the story in Skylanders is sort of a minor consideration for the franchise).

I know we've all essentially talked this stuff to death with the older Spyro games and there's nothing new to say. But I still miss those talks and I miss that there aren't any more story-centered Spyro games (at least for now) to be so excited about.

Just a random thought I had.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#2 Posted: 02:35:37 29/07/2014
Yes, it's true. I miss them as well. Except the topics where people sung praises at Dawn of the Dragon that were totally UNDESER-... *shot by tranquilizer darts*

What boggles my mind is that, for all these characters Skylanders has introduced, you'd think it would be ripe to create some story-driven narratives of some form. But that hasn't happened. And now, I think it's too late, because they've made too many Skylanders. Unless they were to take a route similar to the Pokémon anime. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#3 Posted: 02:40:55 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Haha, my brother in suffering! 8D

Even in fan fiction circles, there's just not much in the way of narrative for Skylanders. We've got Weirdlanders and Ask Whirlroaster on tumblr and a few other RP/ask blogs, but that's really it. With Skylanders, it seems like all the characters are given such basic stories (presumably so the player can make up more about their favorites), which is good in the sense that it is fun to have your very own story for the characters, but bad because they really aren't characters that a group can talk about for their unique attributes. Even with Skyro and SkyCynder there isn't anything to analyze or discuss in terms of character or story for them. Alas.

I'm making myself want to replay AHT, but I think my roommates will kill me if I play any more Spyro while they're awake. :D
#4 Posted: 02:59:29 29/07/2014
Well, I can drag up old fandom conundrums from the "Box O' Things Puzzling Me About The Spyro Fandom." Like the old, "Why do 95% of Legend!Spyro fics insist on having Flame/Ember as a beta couple to Spyro/Cynder?" I don't seem to recall seeing any topics about that in awhile. XP
---
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#5 Posted: 03:03:44 29/07/2014
This is why I constantly get pissed for no reason. I already knew that Skylanders would eventually turn out to be something that's more about a machine-in-a-disc than an actual game to talk about.

This is why I want a new Spyro game. I don't care what's in it, I just want a new one. If Elora returns, then we're set for over 1,000 topics, and Activision will be set for at least $50 million.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:05:13 29/07/2014 by LocoGuy107
#6 Posted: 03:05:37 29/07/2014
^I think you overestimate people's desire for a new Spyro game. If one were randomly announced tomorrow, I'd still be more excited for the PS4 reimagining of Ratchet & Clank. <.<;
---
#7 Posted: 03:09:36 29/07/2014
Quote: HIR
^I think you overestimate people's desire for a new Spyro game.

That's only because I wasn't paying attention to any other franchise. It used to be that as soon as I saw a commercial for a new IP, I'd be like, "Da*** is this?" and then I'd forget about the game 5-minutes later.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:10:28 29/07/2014 by LocoGuy107
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#8 Posted: 04:34:29 29/07/2014
I also miss all the discussions people use to have about Spyro...
Those were definitely the "good old days". xP
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#9 Posted: 04:37:59 29/07/2014
Quote: cowpowa23
I also miss all the discussions people use to have about Spyro...
Those were definitely the "good old days". xP

Damn you, new days...
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#10 Posted: 05:00:59 29/07/2014
I miss those discussions, too.
#11 Posted: 05:24:16 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR
Well, I can drag up old fandom conundrums from the "Box O' Things Puzzling Me About The Spyro Fandom." Like the old, "Why do 95% of Legend!Spyro fics insist on having Flame/Ember as a beta couple to Spyro/Cynder?" I don't seem to recall seeing any topics about that in awhile. XP

The mystery to that one is pretty easily solved: Flame/Ember comes up in Spyro/Cynder fics almost exclusively to keep Flame and Ember away from Spyro and Cynder. It's kind of frustrating and really bland once you've read it more than...ever. :D If you thought Spyro/Ember got a lot of hate from the rabid fans, it's nothing to the screaming that starts when Cynder/Flame shows up. I got death threats for writing Cynder/Sparx... XD

Glad I'm not the only one who misses those old chats. :)

At this point, I think a new game really wouldn't do anything to improve fan discussions. Possibly a really great comic or fic that everybody loved...but I don't think such a thing could possibly exist and that concept, too, may be an artifact of the days when this fandom was more insular.
#12 Posted: 08:46:32 29/07/2014
Don't talk like that, Razz. We can still have OPTIMISM.
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#13 Posted: 15:57:24 29/07/2014
Quote: Razz

The mystery to that one is pretty easily solved: Flame/Ember comes up in Spyro/Cynder fics almost exclusively to keep Flame and Ember away from Spyro and Cynder. It's kind of frustrating and really bland once you've read it more than...ever. smilie If you thought Spyro/Ember got a lot of hate from the rabid fans, it's nothing to the screaming that starts when Cynder/Flame shows up. I got death threats for writing Cynder/Sparx... smilie

...Seriously? I always thought that was a pretty good ship. I also enjoy Cynder/Flame. I don't know, I guess I preferred the creativity of the people who used those ships instead.

But yeah, I do miss those days, even though I wasn't actively involved much back then. It was still nice discussing things from time to time, and I enjoyed reading people's responses where I wasn't involved. In a way, I think there is still a little to talk about (for example - Someone has recently compiled a list of things that are cut from the final game and some of it hasn't even been mentioned here as far as I know), it's just that Spyro fans don't seem as interested as of late (no doubt due to the lack of any actual Spyro games in production).
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#14 Posted: 16:01:39 29/07/2014
Quote: RadSpyro

The mystery to that one is pretty easily solved: Flame/Ember comes up in Spyro/Cynder fics almost exclusively to keep Flame and Ember away from Spyro and Cynder. It's kind of frustrating and really bland once you've read it more than...ever. smilie If you thought Spyro/Ember got a lot of hate from the rabid fans, it's nothing to the screaming that starts when Cynder/Flame shows up. I got death threats for writing Cynder/Sparx... smilie

...Seriously? I always thought that was a pretty good ship. I also enjoy Cynder/Flame. I don't know, I guess I preferred the creativity of the people who used those ships instead.

But yeah, I do miss those days, even though I wasn't actively involved much back then. It was still nice discussing things from time to time, and I enjoyed reading people's responses where I wasn't involved. In a way, I think there is still a little to talk about (for example - Someone has recently compiled a list of things that are cut from the final game and some of it hasn't even been mentioned here as far as I know), it's just that Spyro fans don't seem as interested as of late (no doubt due to the lack of any actual Spyro games in production).

I'd talk about every game all dang day, but people just don't want to give a damn about it. Because of that, I'm always like:
[User Posted Image]

Anyway, about the shipping thing... what about Cynder X Ember? smilie
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#15 Posted: 17:39:49 29/07/2014
Loco stop overestimating your so called usefulness to the General board. Razz talking about real discussion and wild mass guessing of several parts of the canon,not about how much YOUR headcanon is the best or YOUR incredible idea.

But it's a shame, the fandom isn't good enough to keep the good things up anymore. Heck, SF and TT destroyed the Skylanders fandom as well, so no one agrees anymore and whatever you say it's going to stomp in someone's idea of the game, the canon... heck even their idea of a good marketing strategy. But for better discussions like when the fandom was a bit smaller, we need more people willing to create more than they're willing to share; more people to share alternate interpretations of a character than people taking it as the truth only they know about :I
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#16 Posted: 18:09:43 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
RadSpyro: Eeee, another proper SxC shipper! XD It's such a fun pairing and I was really disappointed that I got so much hate from the fandom for writing the story I did.

Alas, I think that sort of thing is part of the problem. The Spyro fandom got kind of vicious and now a lot of people just aren't willing to try anything new in terms of creativity because they do get torn apart for it. Even I flat out gave up and moved on to working on different creative projects because of the over zealous Cynder fans. :/ I am working on something entirely classic Spyro but, uh...it's not appropriate for these boards at all. XD Maybe I'll bring back "No Dragons In Avalar" someday just for fun. :)
#17 Posted: 18:45:27 29/07/2014
Quote: Bifrost
Loco stop overestimating your so called usefulness to the General board. Razz talking about real discussion and wild mass guessing of several parts of the canon,not about how much YOUR headcanon is the best or YOUR incredible idea.

I get the feeling that you're TheEpicGuy from Cheezburger.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#18 Posted: 19:39:17 29/07/2014
I remember when General, just in general was a pretty tamed and quiet section. Even though I never really go into it then (BACK THEN!).
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#19 Posted: 20:30:28 29/07/2014
I kinda miss it all too. Spyro is the first franchise I ever got attached to and I have this franchise to thank for getting me into gaming, which would eventually inspire me to want to do games design as a career, which I am currently studying for.

I still get discussions like this elsewhere on two other forums I have joined since but I find it difficult to talk about those two sometimes, while I never did with Spyro. I think it's just the environment of those sites really, and people can be difficult on them, sometimes.

And I'm still shocked that an old Spyro fan fic of mine still gets attention. Even though I haaaate it.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#20 Posted: 20:36:41 29/07/2014
If your fanfic panders to a big part of the fanbase enough, they'll never let go of it. Specially if it CREATES a popular shipping rather than just use an existing one.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#21 Posted: 21:12:25 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Ahaaaa.... I had to take down all of my Spyro fics on FF.net because people were just being nasty with them even when they liked them. XD I've considered putting them back up on AO3, but I honestly don't think it's worth my time to do it now.
#22 Posted: 21:43:03 29/07/2014
Quote: RadSpyro

The mystery to that one is pretty easily solved: Flame/Ember comes up in Spyro/Cynder fics almost exclusively to keep Flame and Ember away from Spyro and Cynder. It's kind of frustrating and really bland once you've read it more than...ever. :D If you thought Spyro/Ember got a lot of hate from the rabid fans, it's nothing to the screaming that starts when Cynder/Flame shows up. I got death threats for writing Cynder/Sparx... XD

I've always wanted to try out the "Separate the two couples by many generations" approach... for science. Like, have Spyro & Cynder be 200+ years old while Flame & Ember are around their ages in AHT. For added strangeness, have Ember look up to Cynder as her heroine instead of her typical rabid Spyro fanboy portrayal. <.<;
---
#23 Posted: 21:56:41 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Okay, THAT is a Spyro/Cynder fic I would totally read!

...My brain already wants to do a spin off from that idea in which Spyro and Cynder were a couple long ago but split amicably and are kind of just coworker friends now and Ember cannot wrap her brain around the fact that "one true, destined, forever love" doesn't exist. XD
#24 Posted: 22:26:56 29/07/2014
Plot twist: my fanfic is classic Spyro x Cynder (but it's based on the thought that Cynder died with her Spyro at the end of DotD, so Cynder's a spirit).

Quote: Spyro: Twisted Darkness
"Don't worry, Spyro, I won't harm you."
"Wait, you know my name, too?"
"I had very special friends. They were quite fond of me, actually."
"The...how can you even HAVE friends? You're just a ghost that just crept up on me!"
"Well, I --"
"What, were you just waiting to creep up on me so you can scare the living fire out of me? Is that what you wanted?"
"Not exact --"
"Oh, I'm scared now! We're going to have a REAL fight here, between the living and the dead!"
"Would you please -- "
"Ladies and gentlemen! Introducing the weirdest, the spookiest battle the world could ever ask for! On the red corner, we have some weird-ass ***** who wouldn't shut her mouth! And on the blue corner, we have -- *OAW!*" Spyro fumbles to the dry grass. "Did you just hit me with your t --?"
"Yes, and I can hit you again unless you shut your trap and let me tell you what you've had the desire to hear! Do you have that straight in your head?" The spirit is holding Spyro by the neck.
"Okay, (*ack*) you (*ack*) win. (*ack) Just (*ack) don't kill me."
The spirit gives Spyro a dirty look, and then lets go of Spyro. He hacks up enough coughs to make it seem like he's been chocking on a hairball, while he gasps for a life almost lost.

Figured out that classic Spyro x Cynder would = disastrous comedy, so...
S P Y R O Blue Sparx Gems: 953
#25 Posted: 18:24:39 04/08/2014
You know, the only thing that gets me excited about skylanders is being able to upgrade smilie
---
Spyro is cool, Spyro is cool. Anyone doesn't think Spyro's cool, must be a banana. smilie smilie
#26 Posted: 21:42:34 05/08/2014
Quote: S P Y R O
You know, the only thing that gets me excited about skylanders is being able to upgrade :p

Don't you buy upgrades in that game using the in-game currency? If so, I miss Moneybags snarky comments when he sold you your upgrades, heh heh. ^.^;
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me