Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Classic Spyro and Skylanders Similarities (Finally Updated!)
Page 1 of 1
Classic Spyro and Skylanders Similarities (Finally Updated!) [CLOSED]
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#1 Posted: 16:02:09 19/07/2014 | Topic Creator
I read somewhere that Activision played the classic Spyro games for inspiration. Though it seems very unlikely giving the fact they have lots of differences I have found many similarities. Though most of them are in the first Skylanders game. Here is a list I have came up with and it will be updated with time. Each Skylanders game will each have it's own section. So if your looking for similarities in you favorite game it won't be smushed with the others from different Skylanders games... I believe both "Skyros" and Classic Spyro fans will enjoy this topic.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

1. T Bone is Mr. Bones from Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage/Gateway To Glimmer and Spyro Year of the Dragon.
Though both are very different you can tell they are similar. Both you have to help find there missing bones, is one. The other is that they both dance afterwards, but T Bone doesn't have his own disco music for himself. If you watch T Bone after you defeat Kaos he will do a little jig after awhile.

2. Flavius resembles Flame from Spyro a Hero's Tail and Spyro Shadow Legacy.
Most fans of both versions of Spyro have already pointed this out.

3. Tree Top Terrace (Origin of the name.)
Tree Tops and Terrace Village from the first Spyro game likely got squished together.

4. Auric and Moneybags look and act similar
This one like Flavius has already been pointed out.

5. Prism Break looks like rock monsters found towards the end of Spyro a Hero's Tail

Skylanders: Giants

1. Glacier Gully and Crystal Glacier are very very similar levels. Each have snow and ice in the level, both have an almost hidden area with lava, and each have the word Glacier in their name. And let's not forget both appear to be very high up.

2. Pop Fizz and the Alchemist. If you're a fan of Spyro 2 you will likely remember the hated Alchemist challenge... In Pop Fizz's backstory it states that he too is an alchemist... And that nobody really knows what he looked like before because the potions changed the way he looked. The only thing that the backstory said was that his fur turned blue. This means that the potions could have done more drastic changes. Maybe even change his speices! His prototype name was even the Alchemist!!!

Skylanders: Swap Force

1. Pop Thorn looks a lot like the weird evil dragon like creatures in Enchanted Towers from the third game Year of the Dragon.
I don't believe this has been pointed out yet.

2. The Evilizing Cyrstals look and act like the Dark Gems in Spyro a Hero's Tail.

Skylanders: Trap Team

I still need to play this one but I still will fill up this space soon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:17:38 25/12/2014 by DragonDog
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12920
#2 Posted: 16:37:54 19/07/2014
Auric is like Moneybags. They're both bears with rich clothing and sells things to the player.

Jet Vac is like Sgt. Byrd. They're both birds with British accents (they both also say "Tally ho") and wear jet packs.

I think some of the music such as Perilous Pastures and the Evilised Whiskers battle theme sound like they could be used in the old Spyro games, but remastered.

This may or may not be a coincidence, but Gusto resembles a gnorc.

Dark Water Cove is like Lost Fleet because of all the wrecked ships.

In some levels in the first game such as Leviathan Lagoon, there are turtles that are used in puzzles. This may be a reference to the turtles in Sunny Beach that are used to open the doors.

Some levels have castles/castle-like towers in the background like most of the levels in the first game.

Some NPCs look identical to each other such as the mabus, the molekins and the willikins just like the NPCs in the old games.

In Swap Force, some of the elemental zones involve doing tasks or minigames for NPCs. These are like the challenges in the old games.

One of the upgrades (I can't remember which Skylander it's for though) is called Blowhard, named after one of the bosses in Spyro 1.

The ability to pick up bombs or other objects and throw them is like how Spyro can pick up objects with his mouth and throw them.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:39:15 19/07/2014 by alicecarp
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#3 Posted: 00:15:06 20/07/2014
So what about TLoS similarities? I mean, this is a cool topic, but still...

Even though I'm always going to love classic Spyro more than anybody, I'm just thinking...
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#4 Posted: 01:33:49 20/07/2014
Create your topic if you want one of those, Loco, since when you even need a reason for that.

It's not as much of a similarity but they straight up used the model for classic Spyro's head for a treasure item in Kaos' Kastle.
And don't forget how Brock seems to be some homage to Gnasty Gnorc since they're both green dumb muscle characters with some really bad weaknesses related to fire in their boss battles.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#5 Posted: 01:53:38 20/07/2014
The floating islands of Skylands resemble the floating worlds of the Dragon Realms, Avalar, and the Forgotten Realms. Skylanders also has a pretty similar color palette to those first three games.
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#6 Posted: 05:15:44 20/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: LocoGuy107
So what about TLoS similarities?

1. It seems to be barely any, the only thing might be Shadow Legacy but I believe you have pointed that out hundred of times.
2. Like another person said you could just make your own.
3. I don't play those games. I played a bit of an Enternal Night but the game was to hard and confusing for my family so we gave it to Gamestop. Plus... It was way to creepy... My sister liked it but she got stuck at the same part.

To all the other people who posted their findings those are all really interesting. And a few I didn't even think off. (Besides the floating islands... I have thought that since the begining of the first game... But I forgot when I was writing this list.)
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12920
#7 Posted: 09:58:29 20/07/2014
There's always sheep everywhere in Skylands just like in the old Spyro games.

There's some treasure in Arkeyan Armory and Secret Vault of Secrets that resemble the orbs from Spyro 2.

The levels Darklight Crypt and Willikin Village are like Shadow Legacy because they involve switching between worlds to change things and make obstacles appear/disappear.

Spyro's design closely resembles his LoS counterpart because of his curved horns while his personality closely matches his classic counterpart.

Kaos and Ripto are both short and arrogant and want to take over the world. Also, Spyro gives them both nicknames, he calls Ripto "Shorty" and in the beginning trailer for SSA, he calls Kaos "Big Head".

In Dragon's Peak, the dragon king Ramses gets trapped in stone just like the dragons in the first game.

Dark Spyro is a homage to Dark Spyro in The Eternal Night. In the 3DS version, he even has a melee based attack called Dragon's Fury.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me