Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Speculation - Next Skylanders Game [CLOSED]
jlcox7 Green Sparx Gems: 466
#1 Posted: 22:39:13 03/01/2014 | Topic Creator
With a little over a month until the Toy show announcement (likely); I was wondering if anyone has a clue what the next game might be called, or what direction it is going. Last year we had a few names that were trademarked close to the show, and Swap Force was in there with 3 others.
Does anyone have any inside info they would like to share? or any really good guesses?
I think that the Kaos force idea from last year would be cool, but what do you guys think?
---
Stay on the hunt, enjoy the chase. Don't spend too much money, or you'll fall on your face.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#2 Posted: 23:26:16 03/01/2014
Some new gimmick thou idk what it will be. 1st was toys that come to life etc, 2nd was lightcores and giants figures, 3rd was swapables. This new one will either be some sort of armor that adds on , evil skylanders/minions of kaos or something completely new.
lcopley98 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#3 Posted: 03:49:51 04/01/2014
I hope they never make a KAOS figure.
---
Casual Skylander Gamer
Nuzlocke Challenge http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/posttopic.php?forum=56&post=true
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#4 Posted: 04:17:12 04/01/2014
Quote: lcopley98
I hope they never make a KAOS figure.

I'm betting on it. The ultimate figure of ultimate DOOOOOMMMM
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Xzarnu Green Sparx Gems: 305
#5 Posted: 04:30:31 04/01/2014
I'm betting on either there being a greater enemy appearing resulting in the skylanders joining with kaos to defend Skyland effectively adding evil skylanders/kaos and his minions. Or skylanders titans which are enormous figures with spots to place your skylanders giving the titan or avatar your skylanders ability only magnified. Easy gimmick, easy money.
shelly9871 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1246
#6 Posted: 05:09:37 04/01/2014
We would love a Kaos & a Glumshanks
---
Please see my guestbook for the remaining packs I need---Any help is appreciated. smilie
lcopley98 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#7 Posted: 05:28:10 04/01/2014
Quote: Xzarnu
I'm betting on either there being a greater enemy appearing resulting in the skylanders joining with kaos to defend Skyland effectively adding evil skylanders/kaos and his minions. Or skylanders titans which are enormous figures with spots to place your skylanders giving the titan or avatar your skylanders ability only magnified. Easy gimmick, easy money.

Wow, evil/good Skylanders does seem like a good idea. I have a hard time justifying them making a portal master into a Skylander. It would open so many plot holes.
---
Casual Skylander Gamer
Nuzlocke Challenge http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/posttopic.php?forum=56&post=true
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#8 Posted: 09:49:03 04/01/2014
Activision probably pushes for the "yearly gimmick" toys to unlock something special in the game, so people feel enticed to add them to their collection. So it's likely something that core toys can't be made to do.

I remember one of the Giants TFB interviews saying that it would be cool if they made the toys talk, but that wouldn't add anything to the game other than making the toy seem more "alive." (this would personally bother me a bunch unless they could be turned off, I had a Jurassic Park playset as a child and it kept making sounds even when nobody was near it!)
---
#all Spyros are valid
#9 Posted: 15:42:46 04/01/2014
Quote: Okaps
Activision probably pushes for the "yearly gimmick" toys to unlock something special in the game, so people feel enticed to add them to their collection. So it's likely something that core toys can't be made to do.

I remember one of the Giants TFB interviews saying that it would be cool if they made the toys talk, but that wouldn't add anything to the game other than making the toy seem more "alive." (this would personally bother me a bunch unless they could be turned off, I had a Jurassic Park playset as a child and it kept making sounds even when nobody was near it!)

After doing swappers I personally think whatever gimmick would be related to functionality of the toys. I remember the sound conversation and unfortunately that would distract me quite a bit with the stereo sound coming from the game and having my toys emit some noise. I think the rule here is just because you can doesn't mean you do it.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#10 Posted: 17:01:00 04/01/2014
I think it's hard to say right now because figures that could be swapped around kind of came out of left field.

All things considered, I'd personally place my money on core characters swapping their elements. For instance, a red colored Spyro in the Fire Element, or a Green colored Eruptor in the Life Element, etc.

Along with Swap Force, Activision registered domains for SkylandersKaosAlliance.com, SkylandersNanoForce.com, SkylandersSuperForce.com and SkylandersSwapForce.com. Kaos Alliance could have "Evilized" Skylanders. (and I'm kind of disappointed we never got the evil versions from the first game), Nano Force could have tiny figures a la Sidekicks (and maybe give some functionality to those guys), and Super Force could be for larger figures. With the magnet tech they have, I don't see why they couldn't do some sort of MegaZord like Skylander where you have multiple pieces that connect together to make a larger one. (and since 4 characters of each element would be good for torso, r-arm, l-arm and feet, they could have tons of different "Super Force" Skylanders combos.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Cheshiremonkey Gold Sparx Gems: 2068
#11 Posted: 17:17:33 04/01/2014
Quote: spyroflame0487
I think it's hard to say right now because figures that could be swapped around kind of came out of left field.

All things considered, I'd personally place my money on core characters swapping their elements. For instance, a red colored Spyro in the Fire Element, or a Green colored Eruptor in the Life Element, etc.

Along with Swap Force, Activision registered domains for SkylandersKaosAlliance.com, SkylandersNanoForce.com, SkylandersSuperForce.com and SkylandersSwapForce.com. Kaos Alliance could have "Evilized" Skylanders. (and I'm kind of disappointed we never got the evil versions from the first game), Nano Force could have tiny figures a la Sidekicks (and maybe give some functionality to those guys), and Super Force could be for larger figures. With the magnet tech they have, I don't see why they couldn't do some sort of MegaZord like Skylander where you have multiple pieces that connect together to make a larger one. (and since 4 characters of each element would be good for torso, r-arm, l-arm and feet, they could have tons of different "Super Force" Skylanders combos.

I was thinking the same thing the past few weeks. I'm a sucker for build-a-figure toys.
Shippin Blue Sparx Gems: 880
#12 Posted: 18:16:36 04/01/2014
I'm waiting for them to implement figures of the NPCs, Tessa, Flynn, etc. that give one off abilities like the battle items. The fact they haven't done that yet is surprising to me, especially since any fan/collector would want them...

They could follow you around on a timer giving some kind of ability and tossing out one liners - Flynn could throw bombs, Tessa could attack with arrows, Whiskers could heal, Cali could Melee, the shop keeper would sell you items once per level, Persephone could upgrade you once per level, etc.
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#13 Posted: 19:08:53 04/01/2014
I would say armour add ons,bu tbh I don't care since I am not getting the next game.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
#14 Posted: 01:51:16 05/01/2014
Quote: Cheshiremonkey
Quote: spyroflame0487

I was thinking the same thing the past few weeks. I'm a sucker for build-a-figure toys.

Only reason why I think "build a toy" isn't going to happen is because swap force initially started out with that idea...and that they found that the fewer pieces the better...specifically they didn't want someone to dork with the toy 5 minutes when they needed to swap out. Their usability testing showed two pieces worked best...so if it is a "build a toy" I think it will be something relatively simple that can be swapped out in no more than 2 pieces per figure.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 01:57:37 05/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
Triumph Blue Sparx Gems: 508
#15 Posted: 02:58:43 05/01/2014
I hope it's a soccer game to broaden the worldwide appeal. Remember when Dead or Alive did the volleyball game?
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#16 Posted: 03:11:50 05/01/2014
I am betting the next game will have some sort of power disc system like Disney infinity.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
joerox123 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1992
#17 Posted: 05:25:39 05/01/2014
SKYLANDERS: POKEMONN
JUST LIKE POKEMON, BUT WITH TWO N'S! lellll, no sueing :^DDD
---
the road is long, we carry on
try to have fun in the meantime☠
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#18 Posted: 06:05:01 05/01/2014
Honestly, all the ideas I read here sound terrible, besides "build a Skylander" which I heard they didn't do because kids might swallow the pieces(they went with just halves because they're relatively massive, compared to something like an arm or gun, and it's unlikely you could swallow them).

I don't think any future gimmick they do can wow me. Evil Skylanders would be too predictable, Skylander toys with voices would be the epitome of "gimmicky" and become grating(some of the one-liners in the games are already terrible...), NPCs as Magic Items would just be glorified Magic Items themselves- and Magic Items are already really gimmicky- and we don't need another "BUT WITH SUPER STUFF" gimmick like the Giants (it's been done, we already have 8 Giants) and definetly not a Sidekick-focused game.

Maybe I'm being too critical, but I just think it would make a better game if it were just made as a better game and not forced to focus around a gimmick. The only figure gimmick I can think of that I would be interested in was to play as the currently-established villains like Kaos and Glumshanks to see their view on things. Some like MESMERELDA need fleshing out or deserve a bit more backstory. I'd be interested to play as a young version of Kaos and see some more development like that he had in Giants with the Wilikin, there's clearly something off about him. And I think Glumshanks would have an interesting backstory.

Of course the gimmick isn't about the gimmick, but how they use the gimmick, so if the gimmick truly adds to the game and it's used in a fun and clever way, and isn't too intrusive and doesn't cost too much then I say go for it. Problem is I feel SWAP Force Skylanders do feel a bit too detrimental, feel like they have a bit too much focus on them and fail to live up to it anyway... They could easily have done the "ability" thing with regular Skylanders, dual element gates are pointless locks and it feels money-grubby, even though the swapping itself is kind of fun. Another interesting point, someone in another thread said 256 combos feels like a bit too much and it feels impossible that you might ever be able to actually use much of them, which I agree with.

It may sound hypocritical but I think Giants were cool even though they weren't that different from regular Skylanders because they had a real sense of force[which has been ruined in SF with them being no different from regulars besides unlocking bonus chests, thanks VV]. They had cool backstory which added to the lore of the series. The Feats of Strength made them feel just different enough from regular Skylanders but not too gimmicky like the SWAP Force. And best of all you only needed one and Tree Rex came with the game so it wasn't intrusive at all.

They don't need to put the game's main focus on the gimmick because that takes focus away from the actual game like it should be and has a large chance of being detrimental...
And I feel like SF put too much focus on a gimmick that was fun at first but I got bored of and stopped using. And the lore behind the SWAP Force themselves just feels lame, and was never used very well. Make a gimmick that you can use to enhance the gameplay and integrate it well and then use that as a selling point, not the other way around where you come up with a selling-point gimmick then base the game around it. I don't know but I feel like the SF gimmick is just annoying and I hate having to wait for Stink Bomb and Rubble Rouser to come out. They still aren't out here and my interest in the game has died out now- at this point I don't care about 100%ing the game any more and just want them to finish the collection. It's just stupid and it forces you to wait for them to come out, but by the time they do will you really care any more? Haven't you been replaying the levels tons of times to upgrade all your Skylanders and arent you sick of them now, and tired of waiting just to access the last couple of areas? The SF are an example of a gimmick that sounds cool but was done poorly, in my opinion. Restricting SWAP Zones to SWAP characters doesn't add to the gameplay at all... Nor do dual-element gates... And they don't feel grand enough to warrant it, they don't even have any LORE behind them either. So that means they lack the "personality" Giants had too. They're just a way to make more money. I know regular elemental gates are the same deal but somehow the SF feel worse... They feel less organic and they feel like they were crammed in.

Anyway, my point is judging by past attempts I wouldn't trust VV to do anything great with a "predictable" gimmick such as evil Skylanders but I would be willing to give TFB a chance because they put more personality into SA and Giants than VV did with SF, but I wouldn't expect them to break ground either. I think it's a mistake to try to make a "WOW" gimmick unless it's something that's really never been done in a video game before, something like adding in kart racing isn't truly a WOW thing because tons of games have done it before(and probably better, as those games are usually properly focused and built around it, truly made for it).

And anyway, they've developed some issues in Giants and SF and left some that have been around since SA unresolved which I would rather see them focus on fixing. Would anyone really be upset if the next game didn't have a "gimmick" and that new Skylanders was the selling point? Anyone? I'm sure people would still buy the next games just for new locations and Skylanders- I know this comparison is cliche by now, but that's what Pokémon has been doing for ages and it's worked out fine for Game Freak. This suggestion might seem somewhat hypocritical considering I said I don't like the idea of a "predictable" gimmick, but I would rather just have a better, more solid game with more personality and see problems finally get fixed than have another fancy new gimmick. And I don't trust them to ever pull both that and a gimmick off in the same game.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:10:15 05/01/2014 by Arc of Archives
Cheshiremonkey Gold Sparx Gems: 2068
#19 Posted: 08:57:36 05/01/2014
In my head the "build-a-Skylander" is a "giant" giant. You build it once and use it as is. No part swapping or tiny pieces. It would be a nice display piece as well. The original giants sit on my fireplace mantle along with my currently in use figures. I'd say make 4 waves of 5 figures each that had a head/torso, two arms, legs/base and maybe a weapon. 4 buildables with each "giant" giant being a dual element as well.

We know extremely large beings exist in Skylands so I would have large optional bosses for them to fight. I would want some kind of meaningful existence for them though other than being "keys" for trivial things. I liked that the original giants interacted with the levels more in Giants with rock tossing and the feats of strength. I would change the feats to being actually needed to progress in a stage though.

I'd also do away with the chase variants. My OCD is very unhappy knowing my collection in swapforce will never be complete now that these chase figures actually have a tag in the collection list.
wrecknroll Yellow Sparx Gems: 1167
#20 Posted: 09:49:08 05/01/2014
All of these posts of build a skylander just make me want a conquertron figure
---
My collection! http://imgur.com/gallery/G7lsX
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#21 Posted: 10:58:56 05/01/2014
I just realised summoning a "young" Kaos would be a huge plothole

If you met him when he was young then he'd realise you when he was older- but he shows no indication of knowing about you from the past in SA, quite the opposite. So... It'd make absolutely no sense since SA would have to come later but Kaos didn't recognise you from his past.

Also I just realised if they got frozen into toys... That means that they would have to stay frozen as toys (unless the physical toys self-destructed when the story ended and they "returned" to Skylands smilie ) or that would cause a plothole where they're frozen toys in your living room and independent, living characters in Skylands at the same time. Which means Kaos, Glumshanks or any other villain you'd get to summon would need to retire from their roles to make sense story-wise and (unless there's a really clever convoluted plot device they can use to work around it) they'd have to never come back in a real villain role where you could fight against them again. And I don't see them retiring Kaos soon(though I'd like them to... Or more just to give him a break for a while, he's grating by this point and he's been Flanderized too much).

Also, unrelated but I noticed something interesting, just me or in SA the characters seem to be aware of your presence but unable to see you(bar Eon, you can see this most notably when Hugo first appears in Chapter 1 and tries to call out to you)? Whereas in SF they seem to know you're there and stare at you directly(most notably Kaos' mom?) It's a bit jarring actually, I noticed the fourth wall breaking seemed to be different after SA and I guess that's why. I think I don't mind with other Portal Masters or characters in special roles like the Seekers doing that as it makes them feel more like equals but it would be nice if they decided what form of wall breaking they want to use and use it consistently smilie

I might sound like I'm nitpicking with the story but if Skylanders were a film series then people would notice these consistency issues. I've been watching and reading more story-focused media as of late and I've come to notice how relatively weak the plot/implementation in so many video games- that have a big focus on story, it's fine when it's an excuse plot that's bad because they aren't trying to tell deep stories and making any story hugely prominent- really are, and it's quite annoying. Going between the three Skylanders games I'm starting to notice more and more plotholes (especially in SF) and since it's a series we're meant to see as an "interactive movie", and since the games have this focus on storytelling alongside the gameplay, it's pretty noticeable.
You're trying to pay attention to the games' story but there are so many inconsistencies with it distracting you from it and ruining it, I realise even great movies can have many plot holes and very big ones at that but there are some things like the Portal Master lore that they seem to be not even trying to write back in the story, and they've retconned or simply IGNORED a ridiculous amount of things. Plus, not just the inconsistencies but some of the writing in general is just bad, for instance they've established characters then just abandoned them(freakin' Cali and Hugo), which is always a big no-no. (I bet they'll do the same with all the SF characters in the next game, except maybe Sharpfin as they seem to like him for some reason..., like "sorry Tessa but you aren't Flynn/Kaos and those are the most flat and 'popular' characters but nobody cares about you so you won't get to stay as part of the cast and your reason for leaving will be arbitrary and poorly written so bye bye!")
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:10:01 05/01/2014 by Arc of Archives
GhostRoaster24 Blue Sparx Gems: 942
#22 Posted: 17:31:58 05/01/2014
I agree with whoever said (I think it was Arc of Archives) they should just drop the gimmicks next game and focus on a great story and design the characters well. Seriously, some of these characters in Swap force make me scratch my head.

Rubble Rouser's face looks like the generic... face. I strongly dislike him.

Doom Stone looks like he belongs in, like, a toddler game. Seriously?'

As much as I like Bumble Blast, there is no denying he is just Zook with a Beezooka. A beezoka. Zook had a bazooka. -.-

They dropped Ignitor, and brought in Blast Zone in the same game. THEY ARE BOTH FIRE KNIGHTS! And then, they gave Grim Creeper a similar playstyle with the soul coming out of the armor.

They (Toys For Bob?) really need to focus on great characters and less gimmicky gimmicks.
---
Tumblr: hunter-alex
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#23 Posted: 18:09:54 05/01/2014
I actually wouldn't mind a game that takes place in the past where maybe kaos is pure and good till something changes him and maybe his family thou who knows. The skylanders sitting in bigger skylanders sounds neat but that would make them bigger then giants and prob cost $20 a pop.
Urban_Yeti Green Sparx Gems: 448
#24 Posted: 18:11:40 05/01/2014
I'm surprised they haven't done a cartoon show at this point...it seems like the next logical step.
RtooDetoo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1219
#25 Posted: 22:54:14 05/01/2014
I'd like to see a whole game based on dark edition figures.
---
"Beep bop boop beep beep beep"
SparCrux1101 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1898
#26 Posted: 23:37:47 05/01/2014
Is anyone else here a power up pro member of Gamestop? Recently i got an email saying something about "skylanders minis" at gamestop on the 11th. Seems weird.
---
WTB: Molten Hot dog
c/._.c\ Dancin puddin /b._.\b
scratchking22 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#27 Posted: 00:18:59 06/01/2014
Skylanders with swapped elements has two ideas going for it and I could see them pulling it off.

They could have 16 different "swapped" skylanders like Rockslide Slam Bam, Time Bomb Zook, Titalwave Hot Dog, etc. I think this would be a really cool idea if they changed the attacks and upgrades. They could have 8 LightCores and 16 new characters.

OR they could have disks that can be inserted into the special new skylander's bases to determine element. Another route would be to have the whole figure come off the base and use magnets with different element bases to connect, like Swap Force but with the whole figure and element rather than top and bottom. Just my 2 cents.
---
~ Clinton/Kaine 2016 ~
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#28 Posted: 00:53:33 06/01/2014
Quote: SparCrux1101
Is anyone else here a power up pro member of Gamestop? Recently i got an email saying something about "skylanders minis" at gamestop on the 11th. Seems weird.

Same here, probably the Giantkicks.

Quote: scratchking22
Skylanders with swapped elements has two ideas going for it and I could see them pulling it off.

They could have 16 different "swapped" skylanders like Rockslide Slam Bam, Time Bomb Zook, Titalwave Hot Dog, etc. I think this would be a really cool idea if they changed the attacks and upgrades. They could have 8 LightCores and 16 new characters.

OR they could have disks that can be inserted into the special new skylander's bases to determine element. Another route would be to have the whole figure come off the base and use magnets with different element bases to connect, like Swap Force but with the whole figure and element rather than top and bottom. Just my 2 cents.

Tidalwave
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
simonc1138 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1549
#29 Posted: 14:03:24 06/01/2014
I would say a microphone function, allowing voice commands to control your Skylanders, but the technology's still spotty, especially when it comes to recognizing children's voices.

Maybe...toys that transform? Like mini-Transformer-style figures?
---
You know you have an addiction when you spend money on it that is normally saved for your other addictions.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#30 Posted: 16:28:46 06/01/2014
Movable parts?
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
skylanderkid Green Sparx Gems: 135
#31 Posted: 07:02:01 07/01/2014
What I feel they should do is make a Super Smash Bros type game. You can use all the figures you have now, and be able to play others online across multiple stages. It will give the characters you have now, an additional use.
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#32 Posted: 07:14:40 07/01/2014
Personal opinion, just improve the PvP on the next game. Give it the online play option. I don't think a copycat of Smash Bros is enough to warrant its own game.

Personally I like the moving parts idea. Maybe some sort of transforming Skylanders, and the figure can recognize the current form.
skylanderkid Green Sparx Gems: 135
#33 Posted: 07:27:32 07/01/2014
Well, im not suggesting a Smash clone and not a followup. Im saying to make an additional game to go along with skylanders.
scratchking22 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#34 Posted: 16:43:22 07/01/2014
I'm putting my money on Nano Force.
---
~ Clinton/Kaine 2016 ~
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#35 Posted: 02:11:19 08/01/2014
I'm not seeing a Kaos figure in the near future.
- He's a portal master, not a skylander...though they could get around this
- He has no powers currently...though they could have some event take place to give him powers
- He would have to be a skylander is subsequent games, since every toy works going forward. So there wouldn't be a test run of a new villain, it's the new villain from here on out.

That said, everyone would want him, and profit trumps everything.

I don't know how they'd pull off nano force and still incorporate all the existing skylanders into the game. They could make skylanders the size of the current mini's, but they'd be hard pressed to charge more for the figure then the current cores. I can see nano force working if it meant that all skylanders shrunk down, and the adventure takes place in Kaos's body or something like that.

Personally, I'd like to see 8 new giants, 8 swappers, and 8 cores with no new gimmick...doubt it though.

Also, it'd be neat if the figures came out with multiple color schemes, say 6 per figure, all displayed that way on screen. You'd get a more personalized version of your skylander and Activision could theoritically sell you 6 of the same toy. Doubt this would happen too.

3rd idea, create clear skylanders and have the portal shine different colors on them to make them look a different color. Depending on where you are in the game, a different color shines on your guy, and he changes colors and elemental in the game. Not going to happen though as it won't work well in normal lighting and won't sell as many toys.
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#36 Posted: 04:47:47 08/01/2014
Skylanders: Hygiene Force

featuring all new hygiene skylanders!

Sudsopus - Water: Octopus that shoots out soap

Bleachano - Fire: Volcanic 'lander that shoots out bleach

idk smilie
---
words. letters. filler.
#37 Posted: 06:26:21 08/01/2014
I'd like it if you could have 4 players. Right now I have to watch my kids play and I'd like to join in.
Xzarnu Green Sparx Gems: 305
#38 Posted: 14:07:41 08/01/2014
Quote: Triumph
I'd like it if you could have 4 players. Right now I have to watch my kids play and I'd like to join in.

Yeah even if I have to buy another dammed portal. Four players would be awesome. And maybe the ability to add an additional magic item.
#39 Posted: 05:04:14 10/01/2014
Quote: Xzarnu
Quote: Triumph

Yeah even if I have to buy another dammed portal. Four players would be awesome. And maybe the ability to add an additional magic item.

I'm glad I'm not the only one then who thought that would be good. Would you rather have one BIG portal or two small ones? I know the Wii we play on has two USB ports. I don't know about other systems.
ironjack Yellow Sparx Gems: 1264
#40 Posted: 06:22:16 10/01/2014
Skylanders Crash's Adventure ...

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:23:32 10/01/2014 by ironjack
GB700 Green Sparx Gems: 475
#41 Posted: 08:00:31 10/01/2014
While reading this thread I have just had a great idea for Skylanders 4. A lot of people are more "game play" focused than a "new gimmick" lander.

My idea is around something that's already in game. The Element Gates.

What I think is that each level should split half way through (sort of like a branching storyline), you would have a choice to go through an element gate, once in there you cant get out, you have to follow that path to complete the level. Then the next time you play the level you could have a different experience by going down the 2nd option.

Maybe on a level by level basis this may become difficult to implement. So how about half way into the story mode you have to select a path to continue for the reast of the game. Then you have to do story mode again to go down the second path.

Hope this post says I what I was trying to say smilie
---
SWAPS smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
LC smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
CORE smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
simonc1138 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1549
#42 Posted: 14:11:03 10/01/2014
Quote: GB700
What I think is that each level should split half way through (sort of like a branching storyline), you would have a choice to go through an element gate, once in there you cant get out, you have to follow that path to complete the level. Then the next time you play the level you could have a different experience by going down the 2nd option.

Maybe on a level by level basis this may become difficult to implement. So how about half way into the story mode you have to select a path to continue for the reast of the game. Then you have to do story mode again to go down the second path.

I'm always up for branching story paths and multiple endings, with dynamic levels that change depending on how you play. If you finish a level by smashing through a dam as a giant instead of finding a way around it, for instance, the next level should be partially flooded instead of dry.

I know there's heavy resistance to having consumers buy multiple figures to complete the game, but it also puts limits on gameplay design if the new gimmick is always shoehorned into bonus areas. You should never hit a complete dead end because Activision didn't release a particular figure for 6 months, but gamers who invest the money should get more out of the game. It's a tricky balance.
---
You know you have an addiction when you spend money on it that is normally saved for your other addictions.
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#43 Posted: 14:21:19 10/01/2014
Quote: GB700
While reading this thread I have just had a great idea for Skylanders 4. A lot of people are more "game play" focused than a "new gimmick" lander.

My idea is around something that's already in game. The Element Gates.

Hope this post says I what I was trying to say smilie

It's not highly illogical. Just look at what TellTale does with the Walking Dead game. Since it's an M-rated game that many of you can't play, the basic premise is just that. Multiple times throughout the game you have to make choices. Those choices affect the rest of the game, even across multiple chapters (which get released separately). They released several chapters for "Season 1", a side chapter (involving different characters), and is starting to release "Season 2". All of which interact with the choices you made earlier in the game. Some of them are as subtle as deciding what to say to someone, while others involve which person's life are you going to save. It gets pretty intense as the choices come up almost constantly.

For Skylanders, they could water it down, but have a similar idea. You can choose paths to take which lead you to other places. Maybe if you take one path, you won't get the object you need and have to find another way. Or maybe you have to choose which way to defeat the enemy. It does sound like an interesting idea. But since Skylanders really exists to sell the toys, the new toy gimmick (i.e. giants, swappers, etc.) is probably what we'll get stuck with every new release. It's definitely going to get old after a while. Although I can understand it. But I say make that the only new releases. We don't need a 4th of 5th Spyro or Trigger Happy. Why not just continue to release the regular versions of those? I originally did understand giving them different powers and upgrades for S1, S2, etc., but it's become too much and definitely will as we continue on. I say they just keep with a generic Skylanders line of figures. They can continue to release all the characters (from SSA on) so that everyone can get them as the game progresses over the years. Then with every game, release a few new figures to peak new interest in older players. They can be the "gimmick" figures or regular figures.

Of course, now that they've already started the S1, S2, S3, etc. and with some newer characters not working with older games, having a generic Skylanders line of packaging might be confusing, even if you do include a label to show which ones they work on. But there has to be a way to fix the inevitable burn out that they're already starting to face.
Skylanders Dad Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#44 Posted: 14:24:55 10/01/2014
I'm betting on nano force...and some sort of way of combining them a la Devastator in Transformers.

It just makes sense with how this game does it.

You have a handful of "nanos" that you need all of them...say 4-5 of the magic element...to make the super nano magic skylander...and it forces you to have them all to get 'er done.

I guess nanos could also have some sort of piggyback ability on regular/swap/giant skylanders too...That would force sales of older inventory as well.

Yeah, something like that sounds about right to me. Even if its not even close, the idea that rules the day will be whatever one sells the most toys and can be reasonably produced and is cost efficient.
---
Here we go again...!
OimakKamio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1643
#45 Posted: 14:33:26 10/01/2014
We were talking about this last night. I was thinking of Dragons. Now i know there are small dragons in the game but what about larger dragons. I just think it could be a cool concept if done correctly. Whatever it is, i'll be in line in October for it. lol
---
Lioned33 PS4
LORD OIMAK XBOX
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#46 Posted: 15:05:46 10/01/2014
With everything said above, I have to say this. They do need to do something with the corelanders. My son refuses to play with any of the regular Skylanders in Swap Force. Occasionally he has popped on one to get into an elemental gate, but rarely does he want to play with them. My wife even got upset when she played with him and she wanted to play with Roller Brawl (her favorite character), but he wouldn't let her. I get the appeal of the swappers. They are cool, but he doesn't seem to care about the regular figures. In a way, that's good because I don't have to be concerned about getting the new corelanders as much, but he also got some for his birthday that he's not playing with. I even finally got him a Darklight Crypt which I was so excited about him getting for Christmas. It was the one figure he had wanted since he first got into Skylanders, but now that he has Swap Force, he didn't care. I even put Ghost Roaster on, last night, and he was still level 1. I think Giants was different because they were slow and not very fun to play with (IMO). The Swappers are actually fun to play with and quite powerful, for that matter. It's a gimmick that I actually like, but it takes away from the other characters.
Kung Fu Man Gold Sparx Gems: 2120
#47 Posted: 16:37:07 10/01/2014
Giving certain characters a break when it comes to reposing would be nice. Spyro's wasted as a repose because he's not even emphasized at all in the game as having any presence, he's just a mascot. Same for Eruptor and so forth. I wouldn't mind it so much if, say, the only repose of Eruptor was the volcanic one but nope he has a series 3 as well.
OimakKamio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1643
#48 Posted: 21:47:44 10/01/2014
well i think they halfway got the figures right in SF. the lightcore should be characters that they are not making for the regular corelanders. Aka, 2 bumbleblast, one series 1 and one LC, Countdown etc. Now addign in a LC Whamshell, and Warnado and Jadewing are pretty cool. but imagine in Giants if they would have done the series 2 and series 1 for some, and done a LC, Whamshell, Boomer, Dinorang, Ghostroaster, Sunburn, Voodood, Camo, and Warnado, then this game did the LC of Hex, or Frightrider, etc. Make the lightcore better more fun to search for. just my opinion.
---
Lioned33 PS4
LORD OIMAK XBOX
skelekon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1149
#49 Posted: 01:07:20 11/01/2014
Quote: OimakKamio
We were talking about this last night. I was thinking of Dragons. Now i know there are small dragons in the game but what about larger dragons. I just think it could be a cool concept if done correctly. Whatever it is, i'll be in line in October for it. lol

Yeah that was one of the thoughts I had for Skylanders 3 before they announced Swap Force - combining concepts from Giants & Dragon's Peak you could have large Dragon characters. You could also have flying levels or boss fights where a normal lander could ride a dragon, modifying it somehow.

(The other idea I had was for hybrid elements, eg Water + Fire = Steam, so I was sort of on the right track there).
---
Missing: Fright Rider,Pumpkin Eyebrawl,UFO Hat
Spare: Polar Whirlwind,Purple Wrecking Ball
Kartoonkid91 Blue Sparx Gems: 730
#50 Posted: 02:32:32 11/01/2014
Cut the co-op rope... Like the lego game where it goes into split screen when far apart. Also maybe characters from Crash Bandicoot would be awesome like the pic above.
---
Looking for: Glitter (Pearl) Hot Head, Silver E3 Spyro, E3 Hot Dog.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me