Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > is skylanders a REAL spyro game?
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
is skylanders a REAL spyro game? [CLOSED]
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#51 Posted: 19:31:28 31/12/2013
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: BLAZn002
I really dont think skylanders is a real spyro game because on the box art for the first one he was shoved over to the side. The skylanders seires is not the best spyro games in my opinion.

Bad games don't mean they're part of a franchise,no matter what some fandoms say.Enter the Dragonfly is a big mess of a game,but no one can say it's not part of the series as much as we wish it wasn't.

You got a point there. Enter the Dragonfly continued the original Spyro, no matter how badly it was made. However, one question stands; we are fully aware that Skylanders does have Spyro in it, and his backstory is that of the previous games, both Classic and Legend. But if Legend was a complete reboot, then we can assume that Legend happened first, and then Classic, but that wouldn't make any sense due to the ending of Dawn of the Dragon. Skylanders is making Spyro's story as if both series happened.
So in conclusion, we can say that Skyanders is just another adventure of Spyro, but it can't be a reboot, in a way, because it mentions Spyro's previous adventure. It somehow continues it. It is most likely a spin-off, but does it make it canon to the purple dragon's franchise?
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#52 Posted: 14:18:48 01/01/2014
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
Quote: wreckingballbob
Skylanders brought me to Spyro games.

okay.

Okay!
---
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#53 Posted: 15:46:42 01/01/2014
Quote: Felines

Story wise,it's definately canon. Though the devs are probably going to leave uncertain if Skyro is Spyro during adulthood(he certainly acts like it) or if he's a descentant,the Mask of Power series mentions that he used to hang out in Avalar before being recruited,not to mention his extended bio says he's been fighting evil since he was young (including the LOS plot being mentioned). If it's the first,it's a reboot but doesn't really rewrite the canon like LOS,and if it's the latter is a spin-off since it's the tales of another Spyro. But gotta take Spyro's Kingdom in consideration as well,in which he was going to be the king of Skylands or something along those lines,and would be very old already.
In another words,it's all up to the devs of how canon it is. But considering the Skylanders writers seem to forget lore of previous games in their own franchise(a LOT,specially in Swap Force),we're probably not getting the answer anytime soon.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:00:58 01/01/2014 by Bifrost
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#54 Posted: 18:25:36 01/01/2014
I always liked to view Skylanders Spyro as a teenager, whom (If we are to believe that this game takes place some years after TLOS, that is.) is a descendant of TLOS Spyro...
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#55 Posted: 19:23:33 01/01/2014
Quote: Bifrost

Story wise,it's definately canon. Though the devs are probably going to leave uncertain if Skyro is Spyro during adulthood(he certainly acts like it) or if he's a descentant,the Mask of Power series mentions that he used to hang out in Avalar before being recruited,not to mention his extended bio says he's been fighting evil since he was young (including the LOS plot being mentioned). If it's the first,it's a reboot but doesn't really rewrite the canon like LOS,and if it's the latter is a spin-off since it's the tales of another Spyro. But gotta take Spyro's Kingdom in consideration as well,in which he was going to be the king of Skylands or something along those lines,and would be very old already.
In another words,it's all up to the devs of how canon it is. But considering the Skylanders writers seem to forget lore of previous games in their own franchise(a LOT,specially in Swap Force),we're probably not getting the answer anytime soon.

Alright, let me see if I get this straight, because the way I see it, Skylanders developers wanted to introduce the purple dragon to newer generation of gamers, as well as continuing it. Plus, for what I heard so far, it is also making some curious about the previous Spyro games. I assume that the developers included Spyro's backstory of both Classic and Legend series so that older fans could associate with, as well as bringing newer ones to the previous games.

However, if they are mixing both Classic and Legend stories as if both happened, I think it's up to the veteran Spyro player to make up what happened after Dawn of the Dragon, and how it's all tied to the Classic stories. Maybe it's a new purple dragon? Or he somehow ended there? I do believe Classic and Legend Spyro are different, and yet Skylanders make it appear as if he is the same.
---
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#56 Posted: 21:34:40 01/01/2014
It's a spinoff
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
#57 Posted: 21:45:56 01/01/2014
Obviously, but should a spin-off like that can be considered part of the genuine franchise?
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#58 Posted: 22:55:12 01/01/2014
Instead trying to link all the legends together , perhaps we are dealing with a multiverse scenario ?

The pathetically thought out story about the skylander sidekicks are , that they come from a different dimension.

Original Spyro games have him as a baby dragon . In Skylanders he seems much older like a teenager . The story seems to be moving foward . If something did not happen in this world well jumping dimensions is a pretty cheap but effective answer for that .

Legend of Zelda got away with the "multiverse excuse" to the point of insanity .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#59 Posted: 00:14:21 02/01/2014
Quote: Dark fhoenix

The book series for Skylanders and the extended bios say Skyro isn't from Skylands at all,either Avalar or somewhere close to it - part of the main series or not, he's definately not native to the current dimension.
---
#60 Posted: 06:32:04 02/01/2014
^So based on that fact, we can assume that this is the Spyro from the Classic games, but then one issue arises, Cinder. She is there, so Legend also happened. So it is up to the player to figure out how Spyro ended up in that place near Avalar?
...Oh no wait, Avalar was also a place also in the Legend games, so it's possible that Skylanders is a continue to the Legend games only... unless there is another part of his backstory that happened only in Classic Spyro? Somebody let me know, I don't know much about Skylanders.

Instead trying to link all the legends together , perhaps we are dealing with a multiverse scenario ?

The pathetically thought out story about the skylander sidekicks are , that they come from a different dimension.

Original Spyro games have him as a baby dragon . In Skylanders he seems much older like a teenager . The story seems to be moving foward . If something did not happen in this world well jumping dimensions is a pretty cheap but effective answer for that .

Legend of Zelda got away with the "multiverse excuse" to the point of insanity .

I initially compared it with The Legend of Zelda also. Man is it a pain to connect all the games. Even with the original timeline finally released to the public, there are still many things that don't make sense... but at least not all the games feature the same protagonist (in a way), and that is not the case with Spyro... unless what I mentioned above is the explanation.
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#61 Posted: 09:19:49 02/01/2014
When developers make a new game , they usually concentrate on better graphics and new experience game play. Connecting it with the former game is probably the last thing on their mind and only as long as it sells.

Producers and Creators are not fans , they are just securing their end of month pay check . They dont play it . If your work was Spyro this and Spyro that all day long , Spyro is the last thing you want to hear when you get home .

Of course they wont say that when giving a media interview .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#62 Posted: 20:49:42 02/01/2014
^So based on that fact, we can assume that this is the Spyro from the Classic games, but then one issue arises, Cinder. She is there, so Legend also happened. So it is up to the player to figure out how Spyro ended up in that place near Avalar?
...Oh no wait, Avalar was also a place also in the Legend games, so it's possible that Skylanders is a continue to the Legend games only... unless there is another part of his backstory that happened only in Classic Spyro? Somebody let me know, I don't know much about Skylanders.

Skyro saved Cynder after becoming a Skylander in this canon(and Malefor has been long (un)dead),which means it takes the story from Classic and retells LOS. Considering they left the Classic stories intact(only mentioning how he fought evil even at a young age),I'd say they adapted LOS since it breaks both Classic's stories and the fact Avalar isn't a valley but a whole country.

Considering I had to mention this several times,lemme just go and get what Aura24 put in the Skylanders/Spyro wikis from the Book of Elements series and the Official Sticker Book :U
(beware,wall of text)

"No one knows where Malefor came from. It was said that he has laid down in the shadows of the Underworld for centuries, sending his dark minions to up to the world above to carry out his bidding."(taken from the Malefor from Skylanders article)
"Before being recruited by Master Eon into the ranks of the Skylanders, Cynder was feared in almost every corner of the world. Kidnapped as an egg by the Undead Dragon King, Malefor, Cynder was raised to serve the forces of evil. As she grew, the dark power of the Undead granted her incredible abilities, which she used to terrorize innocent people. Whole villages fell beneath her mystical lightning attacks, and even the bravest warriors would turn and flee when they saw her swooping down from the clouds with her talons outstretched. Twisted and corrupted by evil, Cynder was Malefor's black-hearted harbringer of misery and despair. But Spyro believed there was good in her, deep down.

When he confronted her, a ferocious battle ensued. Despite Cynder's dark powers, Spyro was able to defeat her. When he did, Malefor's control over her was broken. No longer was she the puppet of the Undead Dragon King, and she was determined to make amends for all the suffering she had caused while under his control. Realizing how much she had changed, Master Eon recruited her into the Skylanders. Although she now fights for good, she still struggles with her dark side from time to time, and most of her fellow Skylanders try to keep out of her way - just in cast her inner darkness takes over once more.
"(taken fron the Cynder from Skylands article)

"Spyro is the great, stout-hearted hero of legend, not to mention the number one defender of Skylands. Hailing from a rare race of magic purple dragons, Spyro was born in a land far away from Skylands' furthest frontiers. From a young age, Spyro became a battler for good; a warrior against evil and protector of the peace. His fearless exploits and heroic adventures were even recorded in the Scrolls of the Ancients (and those Ancients didn't keep a record of just any old thing). One of the many Portal Masters who watched Spyro's success with acclaim and applause was the bearded legend himself, Master Eon. It was Eon who transported Spyro through the Portal of Power to his citadel at the Core of Light. Here, Spyro met the Skylanders squad and swiftly agreed to join them in battling all things nasty.

During his time as one of the Skylanders, Spyro defeated the evil dragon Cynder when she was spreading fear throughout Skylands for many years, freeing her from the sinister thrall of the Undead Dragon King, Malefor. After Cynder vowed to fight for good, she and Spyro went on a dangerous quest in which the Undead dragoness came out smiling. Afterwards, Spyro convinced Master Eon to sign Cynder up as one of the Skylanders. Spyro was also the one who inspired Lightning Rod to become a Skylander after telling the storm giant his stories of faraway places and dangerous adventures.

There was an incident with Spyro when The Darkness attempted to corrupt the Core of Light. Spyro nearly suffered a terrible fate when he was almost consumed by the dark magic, but he was saved by Master Eon. Under the old Portal Master's teachings, Spyro learned how to fully harness this dark power, becoming his sinister alter-ego: Dark Spyro. Combined with his brave heart and careful control, Spyro was able to use this dark power to fight the forces of evil without losing himself to the darkness.
"(taken from the Skyro article)

"Spyro had met the old wizard while playing in the Summer Forest back home. With a wave of his hand, all those years ago, Eon had opened a portal to another world."(taken from the Skylanders: Machine of Doom book preview)

EDIT:

Producers and Creators are not fans , they are just securing their end of month pay check . They dont play it . If your work was Spyro this and Spyro that all day long , Spyro is the last thing you want to hear when you get home .

The devs at Toys For Bob played the whole Classic series when trying to get ideas for a reboot. And working with videogames isn't like a normal job,you WILL play it to test models and hope the game doesn't glitch horribly(it happened when they first tested Giants models in SSA),and the games would be really bad if they didn't care about it - the thing is,even if they were the number one Spyro fan,they have the higher ups of Activision telling them to not waste their budget on something that MIGHT not sell.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:53:23 02/01/2014 by Bifrost
#63 Posted: 05:24:17 03/01/2014
^You don't have to be a fan, you just need some inspiration and lot's of imagination, not to mention a futuristic outlook to make sure the game sells the way you want to, since your paycheck depends of it.

And Bifrost, with all that information, then now I assume that Spyro's backstory is that of the Legend series. It says that Spyro has been fighting evil since he was very young, yeah? Well, he was quite young in the Legend series also, and Avalar in DotD was very large, maybe not as large as the one in Classic, but still a worthy country.
But now, the part that may confuse people is the last bio. It mentions Summer Forest, and that was never mentioned in Legend. However, I believe it's either because;
1) Skylanders: Machine of Doom is a book, and they are usually not considered canon.
2) Summer Forest was part of the Legend Avalar, but it's never openly mentioned in the games.
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#64 Posted: 19:20:26 03/01/2014
Skyro seems to be a mix of Classic and LoS Spyro in his backstory and personality. By all the above logic, one can easily assume he's just iSpyro (since that version of him also has been fighting evil since he was very young).
#65 Posted: 12:07:23 10/03/2014
He is Legend Spyro then. Enough said. His backstory concentrates more on that Spyro, plus Cinder appears! I'll say that both dragons were called by Master Eon after DotD. Now that their world was at peace, he could finally ask for their help to protect Skylands.
---
#66 Posted: 22:57:06 10/03/2014
Nope,Skyro saved Skynder after he became a Skylander.It's more plausible that LOS is retold for the new storyline.
---
#67 Posted: 02:42:22 11/03/2014
So Master Eon called for him and Cinder to protect Skylands, and once they saved it, it was then that they become Skylanders... that's what I understand.
---
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#68 Posted: 05:12:28 11/03/2014
But, Spyro saved Cynder in Skylands according to her backstory.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#69 Posted: 05:17:21 11/03/2014
Yeah, Spyro defeated and saved Cynder when she was under Malefor's control, much like her Legend counterpart. Cynder chose to make amends for her past misdeeds by joining the Skylanders.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#70 Posted: 02:07:27 17/03/2014
So the backstory is the same one as the one in The Legend of Spyro. So it's a continue from that series. Now the REAL question is, is the Legend of Spyro part of the Spyro games? Should reboots be considered part of the genuine series?
---
#71 Posted: 12:04:10 17/03/2014
Reboots should be part of the series - they're just a new take on the same IP,same world,and most of the time the same characters - but they don't necessarily need to be part of the canon,specially on,say,Alternate Universe reboots like Sonic Boom which is apart from the main Sonic but it's still part of the franchise. Sometimes reboots are even tied together,in the case of Rayman Origins pushing Rayman 3 out of the way to be part of the main canon even if it barely has any story to begin with.
But as always,using the right terms. Skylanders for me is a spin-off - it's not the same world,but many characers return and the style doesn't change that much- and LoS is an alternate canon - it doesn't follow the Classic style and worldbuilding,but it's still the main characters and it's been used since the beginning as a way to retell Spyro's backstory...of sorts.
---
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#72 Posted: 18:34:44 17/03/2014
Guys.... Legend of Spyro is a "legend", so no one knows what really happened.

But Do I think that Skylanders is part of the Spyro franchise? Its more of a series in which spyro is a playable character - although Skylanders wouldn't be here without him.
#73 Posted: 20:50:09 17/03/2014
Good points there. Now the issue here is what we consider CANON. We can have a reboot of a series and still be part of the series. However, it's suppose to be canon even though the story has changed completely? That's the new question here, and it's even more complicated than The Legend of Zelda. At least in that series you know what is canon, no matter how different it is or how much the story has changed.
---
#74 Posted: 01:42:23 18/03/2014
Alternate Universes is a good solution. If LOS happened,it happened in the universe it,well,happened.If Spyro didn't go through some edgy jouney to save the world from the usual master of darkness and evilness,but still fought bad guys at a young age,Classic canon it is. If he did that and decided to move to fight evil weirdos with dragon magic nukes,Skylanders canon on the universe Skylands is a thing.
---
#75 Posted: 09:55:57 18/03/2014
Why do people keep saying that the part of his backstory where it's said that "he has been fighting evil from a young age."? Sure, he did it in Classic, but he also did it in Legend. It is referring to Legend, isn't it? I just can't fit Classic Spyro anywhere in Skylands.
---
#76 Posted: 12:52:55 18/03/2014
Well,because it's what's on the darn backstory for Skyro? You've been repeating the same argument for a while no matter what I post,so you aren't going to understand any faster. I tried,but do your own research if having me dig through the Skylanders Wiki ended up going in circles.
---
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#77 Posted: 04:43:02 19/03/2014
Sorry to pop in unannounced, but I do have a opinion on the question as well the argument.

As most people (specifically the classic Spyro hippies), say it's not. It's technically not in many ways, but yet Spyro is in Skylanders. So basically it kind of is if Spyro is in it. And before anyone gives some form of "oh just because it has a character named spyro in it doesn't mean it's spyro game" phrase. So that means even if the character has a current redesign for the new games, but the new games with such character, new gameplay, and so on. It instantly becomes not a (insert name here) game. You see what I'm saying? Basically what I'm saying is if Spyro is in it as a possible main character instead of a bonus or cameo, there'll be a section of it on here.

As for Spyro's biography. I can somewhat see how classic bio can be involved. But I believe it's more revolved around the Legend of Spyro bio. Considering in The Legend of Spyro series, Spyro was at a young age fighting evil, and going on quests to save the guardians, and saving the world. Not to mention in the Skyro biography it did say something about Cynder and in Cynder's biography it said about Malefor the main villain (also main disappointment of a villain) of the Legend of Spyro series. Not to mention that they probably got the idea of Dark Spyro from the Legend of Spyro series, since Activision also did that series too (Sierra was actually a branch off studio of Activision). So in Biography, I think it's pretty much the Legend of Spyro.

Oh and Bifrost, how come you don't seem to put spaces in between your commas? It's a little hard for people to read when people's commas aren't spaced a bit out.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#78 Posted: 12:06:14 19/03/2014
^You explained that very well. I think it's Legend bio too. But the last time I searched the Skylanders wiki, it said that it had element of Classic Spyro backstory in it, but that is most certainly a mistake. Oh well, all I can say is that Skylanders is a continue of the Legend trilogy, right after Malefor was defeated.

It's a shame though. As you can all probably tell right now, I am a firm fan of the Classic Spyro, but it's really disappointing that it doesn't give signs of continuing. The last game was Shadow Legacy, and if you watch the ending, it gives you the impression that the story will go on smilie
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#79 Posted: 17:15:19 19/03/2014
There has been some official sources of Skylanders Spyro having both qualities from Classic and Legend Spyro, especially from his backstories of normal Spyro and Dark Spyro (or others) in Skylanders -

Legend qualities
Spyro hailed from a rare line of magical purple dragons
Has the ability to harness the power of the other elements
Defeated and saved Cynder

Classic qualities
Has fought evil since he was young
Had many exciting adventures
Headstrong and impulsive
Prefers to master fire
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#80 Posted: 17:49:29 19/03/2014
All I have to contribute: At least Spyro is still around; be happy that they didn't kill him off like Crash, and be happier that he's being introduced to kids.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#81 Posted: 21:24:59 19/03/2014
^Well, I suppose that is a marvelous way to see it. Forgive my excessive attachment to the Classic Spyro, it's just that the change ft. I did agree on the beginning that he is being introduced to young gamer, but even if they do their research of how Soyro started, the original games are not that accessible for them to try them smilie

Quote: Aura24
There has been some official sources of Skylanders Spyro having both qualities from Classic and Legend Spyro, especially from his backstories of normal Spyro and Dark Spyro (or others) in Skylanders -

Legend qualities
Spyro hailed from a rare line of magical purple dragons
Has the ability to harness the power of the other elements
Defeated and saved Cynder

Classic qualities
Has fought evil since he was young
Had many exciting adventures
Headstrong and impulsive
Prefers to master fire

But the Classic qualities are also qualities from Legend of Spyro... except maybe the last two? It is never specified in Legend if Spyro prefers to master fire or uses all of his elements equally, and headstrong and impulsive, he was definitely in Classic, but in Legend too you know, though maybe not as much as his Classic counterpart.
---
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me