Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Skylanders ripoff... [CLOSED]
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4192
#1 Posted: 02:15:16 22/12/2013 | Topic Creator
A "Transformers" Skylanders ripoff, just saw it on the Hub network this morning. :eyeroll:

http://www.hasbro.com/shop/det...2AE6D60FC:en_US
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#2 Posted: 11:14:08 22/12/2013
Disney Infinity is the one you want to pick on, not this.
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4192
#3 Posted: 01:22:58 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

I have to agree with you there.

I bought the system and found it to be boring, compared to Skylanders.

The used videogame stores won't accept any Infinity stuff either.
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
LTU Spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4985
#4 Posted: 02:16:28 23/12/2013
The formula "real toys + video games" seems to be very effective. That's why many companies are using it. Even the new Angry Birds racing game has these toys to help in the game.
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#5 Posted: 23:37:20 24/12/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Please, even THAT doesn't have the same gameplay.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#6 Posted: 00:20:48 25/12/2013
This has been a thing since early 2012. Besides, it's a "rip-off" because it sells. We're in the "Doom clone" phase of the "Toys to Life" genre, where every game following the original that is similar is a called a rip-off because the original was so popular.

In both the "Doom clone" and the "Skylanders rip-off" examples, they weren't the first of their kind either. Every FPS is a rip-off of each other, but no one seems to care anymore and one day the same thing will happen with Skylanders.

Besides, Skylanders is going to end very soon. In an era where the idea of digital games retail is something that can be seriously considered, Skylanders has no place since there is no way you can play it digitally.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#7 Posted: 23:52:29 26/12/2013
I think Skylanders will last as long as Pokemon . Same basic formula <gotta catch em all > .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#8 Posted: 00:56:03 27/12/2013
Except Pokemon isn't "gotta buy em all" and can switch completely to digital purchase without any alterations to it's formula if the time ever comes.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#9 Posted: 06:06:36 27/12/2013
^Wasn't X & Y available on the eShop? I got the physical copy because I can't access eShop, but I think I know someone with a digital version of the game.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#10 Posted: 08:33:48 27/12/2013
Quote:
Except Pokemon isn't "gotta buy em all" and can switch completely to digital purchase without any alterations to it's formula if the time ever comes.

Do you really think Activision would have a problem releasing a skylanders game that bypasses the toys and portal set up ?

Make you pay the same price of a toy but all you get is a digital code to unlock your character ?

Digital retail has no problem selling games for the same price as the ones in the shops , why should this be different ?

Technically they are already doing that with Lost Islands. Spend real money on fake green gems and you can own a cool skylander .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#11 Posted: 11:31:16 27/12/2013
Quote: HIR
^Wasn't X & Y available on the eShop? I got the physical copy because I can't access eShop, but I think I know someone with a digital version of the game.

There you go then. And Pokemon hasn't changed at all because it's a digital release.

Quote: Dark fhoenix
Quote:

Do you really think Activision would have a problem releasing a skylanders game that bypasses the toys and portal set up ?

Make you pay the same price of a toy but all you get is a digital code to unlock your character ?

Except what about all those characters that you already have? And what about using the Skylanders cross platform? And what about taking your Skylander to a different save - what if you've got kids that want to use the same Skylander on different save account?

I'm not saying it's impossible to suggest that Skylanders will go digital - I'm just saying that they could go completely digital but it would change the already established formula that works.

Besides, Skylanders are probably very cheap to manufacture and saying "we'll charge $10 for that" is music to their ears because they know kids will buy the toys. The moment they switch to digital, all you're getting is... Some code. So what? Is that still going to be $10? You'll find that people are much less inclined to buy expensive DLC than they are expensive physical items; especially the parents, who can see that Skylanders are toys as well as something for the game.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me