Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Spyro as a PS1 mascot? [CLOSED]
Juniper Green Sparx Gems: 109
#1 Posted: 17:42:44 24/10/2013 | Topic Creator
Was Spyro ever Sony's mascot? I know Crash Bandicoot was created to be the Sony mascot and it shows but to me it seemed like Spyro eventually surpassed Crash. Then they both got booted by their developers and went multiplatformer..

Spyro was at least a potential mascot, right? Sony can never grab onto a mascot like Nintendo, Sega, or Microsoft have. They've switched constantly since the PS1.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#2 Posted: 22:44:45 24/10/2013
First off, even though Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games developed Crash and Spyro, they never held the licenses to those games. So they didn't "boot" them, their contracts expired and they went on to pursue other projects.

In terms of mascots, Sony never had an official one. I think they had turned to Universal Studios to create a mascot to appeal to kids, but nothing ever really broke through. The PS2, PS3, and PS4 never seemed to care about a kid-friendly image, so I'm guessing Sony just gave up on that idea. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Juniper Green Sparx Gems: 109
#3 Posted: 23:13:19 24/10/2013 | Topic Creator
Like I said, Sony never had an official mascot. They've had partial mascots but they never had one, true-blue mascot.

I thought both Insomniac and Naughty Dog wanted to do new things so they ditched their respective series. I know the Spyro devs thought Spyro was too boring and couldn't be expanded on due to being a quadruped.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#4 Posted: 23:56:09 24/10/2013
Well they admitted they were running out of ideas, but the license was never theirs to begin with. >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#5 Posted: 03:52:02 25/10/2013
o_0 Wait!!

Crash Bandicoot wasn't one of Sony's mascot who replace the very first mascot, "Polygon Man"?
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#6 Posted: 19:30:29 27/10/2013
In the Western market, Sony never had an official mascot. Not even Crash was, he was just kind of taken for granted as one.

The Japanese market has some cat named Toro Inoue.
---
Eh.
#7 Posted: 03:56:43 28/10/2013
I see...
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#8 Posted: 09:19:14 28/10/2013
I'd like to think of him as one, but then again, I can think of a couple of other characters as mascots as well, such as Lara Croft for example. I don't think there has ever been a single mascot at one time on the PS. There's always been a few, or a couple that stick out per year. For example, in the year of 1996, Crash Bandicoot, and Lara Croft could be the main mascots, and in the year of 1998, Sir Daniel Fortesque, and Spyro could've been the big guys. smilie I don't think there's really an "official" mascot for the PS is there?
#9 Posted: 10:26:05 30/10/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
I'd like to think of him as one, but then again, I can think of a couple of other characters as mascots as well, such as Lara Croft for example. I don't think there has ever been a single mascot at one time on the PS. There's always been a few, or a couple that stick out per year. For example, in the year of 1996, Crash Bandicoot, and Lara Croft could be the main mascots, and in the year of 1998, Sir Daniel Fortesque, and Spyro could've been the big guys. smilie I don't think there's really an "official" mascot for the PS is there?

Toro Inoue it seems to be the only one...
---
#10 Posted: 09:06:46 31/10/2013
Quote: SamXala

What? I've never heard of it.
#11 Posted: 03:27:39 01/11/2013

Toro the cat? Doke Demo Issho? Mmm... he is one of the most famous characters in Japan. Also, he was one of the 20 fighters of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
---
#12 Posted: 09:17:46 01/11/2013

Toro the cat? Doke Demo Issho? Mmm... he is one of the most famous characters in Japan. Also, he was one of the 20 fighters of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

That's probably why I've never heard of it then, perhaps it wasn't all that successful in other countries, like Europe for example.
#13 Posted: 18:03:54 01/11/2013

That's probably why I've never heard of it then, perhaps it wasn't all that successful in other countries, like Europe for example.

Mmm... maybe you're right...
---
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#14 Posted: 18:11:16 01/11/2013
This guy is Toro:
[User Posted Image]
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:12:27 01/11/2013 by azz01
#15 Posted: 18:45:44 01/11/2013
Yeah, that freaking cat is so cute *-*
---
#16 Posted: 09:19:30 02/11/2013
Quote: azz01
This guy is Toro:
[User Posted Image]

smilie Okay?

I need to do my research on this...
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me