Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Was there any other video game that changed as much as Spyro did?
Page 1 of 1
Was there any other video game that changed as much as Spyro did? [CLOSED]
mr coolguy98 Red Sparx Gems: 73
#1 Posted: 21:35:14 07/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Hey, I just want to know if there was any other game that went through a massive redo like Spyro, because I feel like Spyro was the only one. I know some video games change their gameplay and whatnot, but none that I can think of have lost their plot, characters, setting, gameplay, main character design, and entire universe all at once. It would make me feel better to know that there were other video games that went through this. By the way, I'm not talking about simple gameplay changes like in Sonic or Mario or whatever. I'm talking about the game's whole universe being changed. Was there any other like this?
---
Favorite Playstation games:
Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Guitar Hero, GTA
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#2 Posted: 21:39:43 07/02/2013
I honestly really don't think there was, I always thought Spyro changed the most too.
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#3 Posted: 21:41:18 07/02/2013
crash changed alot
#4 Posted: 21:50:42 07/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Yeah, Crash's design and gameplay changed, but the characters stayed the same. Was there any other video game that lost it's plot and setting like Spyro? The only one I can think of is Rayman when his games became the Rabbid games. But he recently came back to the old story. So does Spyro have a chance to reappear?
---
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3376
#5 Posted: 21:55:22 07/02/2013
Crash Bandicoot and Rayman
---
"I have my own system, don't get involved"
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#6 Posted: 22:14:39 07/02/2013
Devil May Cry D:
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#7 Posted: 22:40:19 07/02/2013
Sonic The Hedgehog, Mario, Megaman, Pac-Man, Tomb Raider... the list goes on...
Cynder_fan Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#8 Posted: 22:55:38 07/02/2013
Quote: spyrocrash
Sonic The Hedgehog, Mario, Megaman, Pac-Man, Tomb Raider... the list goes on...

Mario has no competition, he changes every game.
---
Local technician who comes up with rediculous ideas
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#9 Posted: 00:47:13 08/02/2013
Virtually every game franchise has gone through change in one form or another...
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
SpyroD Emerald Sparx Gems: 4926
#10 Posted: 03:32:21 08/02/2013
I noticed the gameplay instantly changed for Jak, from Jak and Daxter to Jak2 and Jak X. I like the first one the most, I deat it in two to three hours, in one day, because I didn't have a memory card back then...
---
"How will you feel when you're left behind? Everyone leaves, it's just a matter of time." 12115-PrinceW.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#11 Posted: 01:23:50 09/02/2013
Quote: XSparxX
Devil May Cry D:

Yes, the new game sucks like hell >.<
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#12 Posted: 01:29:27 09/02/2013
Quote: XSparxX
Devil May Cry D:

Oh god.
#13 Posted: 21:20:52 14/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Once again, people mistook my original post. I should rewrite the title to "Was there any other video game that lost its story like Spyro?". I'm not talking about gameplay changes, but plot and universe changes. I already know that games like Mario and Sonic have different gameplay. I'm talking about the characters and setting. Spyro literally changed everything except for the fact that he's a purple dragon. Was there any other video game that went through this? For example, imagine that Mario lost all his characters and setting and the story was completely replaced by new characters. THAT'S what I'm talking about. Was there any other video game that went through that?
---
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3376
#14 Posted: 21:27:09 14/02/2013
Mario Kart has changed alot from the first instalment
---
"I have my own system, don't get involved"
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#15 Posted: 21:27:42 14/02/2013
Quote: mr coolguy98
Once again, people mistook my original post. I should rewrite the title to "Was there any other video game that lost its story like Spyro?". I'm not talking about gameplay changes, but plot and universe changes. I already know that games like Mario and Sonic have different gameplay. I'm talking about the characters and setting. Spyro literally changed everything except for the fact that he's a purple dragon. Was there any other video game that went through this? For example, imagine that Mario lost all his characters and setting and the story was completely replaced by new characters. THAT'S what I'm talking about. Was there any other video game that went through that?

I guess that Tomb Raider and Grand Theft Auto are both going through that phrase?
#16 Posted: 21:37:57 14/02/2013
^Maybe Tomb Raider.
---
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#17 Posted: 22:09:11 14/02/2013

Pac-Man, Tomb Raider, Jazz Jackrabbit, Tak and the Power of Juju( the fourth game was originally supposed to take place in the game canon, but the publisher wanted it to be based on the television series), Frogger, and Megaman.
#18 Posted: 01:05:09 15/02/2013
Mmm... Castlevania I think
---
#19 Posted: 03:12:45 15/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Okay, forget video games that "changed a much as Spyro". As we all know, Spyro went through a reboot in 2006 when Legend of Spyro came out. The game lost almost all of its characters and setting of the game. And the change was there to stay. It was a reboot, not a spinoff. My new question is: was there any other video game that went through a reboot, losing everything the game was known for, like Spyro did?
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#20 Posted: 03:15:34 15/02/2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R...%29#Video_games

Well, these seem to fit the description nicely...
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#21 Posted: 03:24:54 15/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Alright, that list is good, but did Castlevania, Tomb Raider, and Devil May Cry lose its characters, gameplay style, and setting? Is the only returning character the main character?
---
#22 Posted: 03:37:52 15/02/2013
^Castlevania lose his original gameplay when SotN came out (Arcade gameplay to "Metroidvania") and it changed again when LoI was released (Metroidvania to 3D Action platform game). AND Now with the damn freaking LoS game (I really hate Lord of Shadows), it looks like God of War and I hate that <.<. Also there's a lot of main characters in the whole series with multiple different commands (Belmonts family with his Vampire Killer, friends with Guns and Swords, the son of Dracula with multiple weapons and spells, weird people with other powers, etc.) and the soundstracks got some changes in the whole series.

I know that because I have YEARS of experience with Castlevania Games (since I was 5 years old, I'm 19 if you ask)

So I think Castlevania series is part of them, but that's my opinion...
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#23 Posted: 10:43:52 15/02/2013
Alright, that list is good, but did Castlevania, Tomb Raider, and Devil May Cry lose its characters, gameplay style, and setting? Is the only returning character the main character?

Well Tomb Raider is currently going through a whole new reboot, and from the looks of this new game, it looks nothing like the older Raiders. Looks more of something mixed between Silent Hill and...something else? I don't know, I didn't really look into it too much, as I thought it was a bit cliche upon seeing the demo of it.
#24 Posted: 14:46:27 15/02/2013
^I didn't see any demo of that game but I know that Tomb Raider series has changed a lot ._. (I remember playing every single Tomb Raider game in my PSOne and just a few in my PS2)
---
Hawaii Five o Blue Sparx Gems: 734
#25 Posted: 19:37:38 23/02/2013
spyro's gone through many fazes, but they really changes the past few years.
---
~A true artist can never create his or her GOOD creations twice, but they may create their bad ones more~
Resonance_Gamer Green Sparx Gems: 292
#26 Posted: 20:59:12 23/02/2013
Minecraft. Everything was fine before the Adventure Update...
---
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Cynder_fan Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#27 Posted: 21:28:55 23/02/2013
Quote: Resonance_Gamer

Subject to opinion.
---
Local technician who comes up with rediculous ideas
Resonance_Gamer Green Sparx Gems: 292
#28 Posted: 21:31:10 23/02/2013
Quote: Cynder_fan
Quote: Resonance_Gamer

Subject to opinion.

To each his own.
---
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me