Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 11 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Molten Hot Dog. Walmart. Coming Soon. [CLOSED]
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#51 Posted: 23:48:23 17/01/2013
well, :rdt: was a good buy for me, because i bought the portal owners pack, and the game/portal was helpful.
Sharkz2001 Green Sparx Gems: 493
#52 Posted: 03:42:29 18/01/2013
This is a nice bit of information if it turns out to be true. I for one one speculate if it is in fact true or not but I'm definately not gonna bad mouth this guy or call him a liar for starting this thread. Take the information for what it's worth and if you want molten hot dog I'd suggest keeping an eye out at Walmart for it. Thanks for the info UncleBob!
---
I'm back for Swap Force!
Kesrael Gold Sparx Gems: 2507
#53 Posted: 18:21:45 18/01/2013
My boyfriend works in electronics at Walmart. He just checked and the system says there are 6 'Battle Pack 2' on order. Since they're vendor managed, he has no idea when they'll be in. Could be up to a week and a half. This fits in with the idea that Walmart might be getting its own Scorpion Striker battle pack w Molten Hot Dog. We'll see...
---
I'm Kesrael_V on Lost Islands! Add me!!
Shroomy_Boomy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1143
#54 Posted: 20:16:03 18/01/2013
^ Can they sell it that soon; if Gamestop has Scorpion Striker exclusivity until February 9th?? I''d love to see it sooner than later, but just find it a bit strange they could kinda "step on each other's toes" that way...?
---
67/67+GITD:smiliesmiliesmilieAEsmilie ROCKsmilie&smilieGLITTERsmilie&smilieSNOWsmilie

37/37+All Sidekix~WERDS~Blusmilie~Flockedsmilie~GITDsmilie~GREENsmilie~CLEARsmilie~CHROMEsmilie
Ash Starkindle Gold Sparx Gems: 2625
#55 Posted: 04:00:56 19/01/2013
I believe you... Yaaay smilie smilie smilie
Bazinga Blue Sparx Gems: 884
#56 Posted: 22:53:40 19/01/2013
Quote: defpally
Gnarly and Royal are very irritating. Both are cool designs, and both are tied to overpriced bundles. With Royal you have to buy two figures you already have and an item you also probably already have (the color doesn't change in game) plus you get a $5 iPhone game and a completely unnecessary portal. And Gnarly you have to buy a dead system that commands a whopping $20 trade in value (or you have to go through the trouble to sell it on your own), and you get those same two figures, yet again. How many Cynders do they think we want?

Royal actually does show up different in game.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#57 Posted: 00:43:31 20/01/2013
Quote: Bazinga
Gnarly and Royal are very irritating. Both are cool designs, and both are tied to overpriced bundles. With Royal you have to buy two figures you already have and an item you also probably already have (the color doesn't change in game) plus you get a $5 iPhone game and a completely unnecessary portal. And Gnarly you have to buy a dead system that commands a whopping $20 trade in value (or you have to go through the trouble to sell it on your own), and you get those same two figures, yet again. How many Cynders do they think we want?

Royal actually does show up different in game.

I was talking about the Platinum Treasure Chest.
#58 Posted: 00:59:31 20/01/2013
My bad, I read that wrong. My apologies.
7Habits Blue Sparx Gems: 989
#59 Posted: 10:11:06 20/01/2013
If they sold it in a single pack and it is a variant, wouldn't game stops battle pack and hot dog still be "exclusive"? It would be the only place you could get a regular hot dog for 30 days.
---
Own: (smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)smilie smilie smilie smilie smiliesmilie smilie smilie smilie smilie(smiliesmiliesmilie)smilie smilie smilie
#60 Posted: 13:20:23 20/01/2013
Quote: 7Habits
If they sold it in a single pack and it is a variant, wouldn't game stops battle pack and hot dog still be "exclusive"? It would be the only place you could get a regular hot dog for 30 days.

Technically, yes. But, I'm sure Gamestop's executives will not be all that understanding about all that money they spent on that exclusive when Activision explains it to them. Or make them anxious to sign up for another exclusive. If they wanted to do something with Walmart at the same time, it is much more likely they would throw them some other variant (like Jade Flashwing or Polar Whirlwind, both have figures in the current assortment as well) rather than tread across this one.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:22:50 20/01/2013 by defpally
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#61 Posted: 16:10:05 20/01/2013
I am leaning towards this happening with the remaining 4 ingame variants. At least I hope this is what happens. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only ****** customer if they decided to stick it to us by making one or more of these a convention exclusive. Oh, man. The level of rage I would have, would drive me over the falls, because I bought 4 Gnarly's thinking I can get ALL ingame variants at retail.

Anyhow, this is what I hope happens.

Walmart: 1 ingame variant
Best Buy: 1 ingame variant
Toys R Us: 1 ingame variant (hate the idea due to their new prices, but this is the only other store that doesn't have an exclusive ingame variant)
Amazon: 1 ingame variant (means it could be reserved)

Target (Granite) and Gamestop (Royal) already have their exclusive ingame variants. I just don't want any of them being a convention exclusive.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#62 Posted: 16:27:08 20/01/2013
It's HIGHLY unlikely that the characters will be convention exclusive. They MAY be given out early, but they won't stay exclusive.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
czs716 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1440
#63 Posted: 17:42:15 20/01/2013
TRU do already have an exclusive in game variant. As a matter of fact, they have 6 this time around.
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
#64 Posted: 18:35:17 20/01/2013
Given that the in game variants are mentioned in the strategy guide, it is HIGHLY unlikely they will trade show only (unless they are available there first, and come out elsewhere later - and state this). They broke the seal by putting them in the guide, it isn't just the collectors that know about them. My son just yesterday was asking about Polar Whirlwind, Molten Hot Dog, Jade Flashwing and Scarlet Ninjini, and I hadn't told him about them. He saw them in the guide.

Figure recolors that show up as "Special" are no big deal, that's cool they do those at shows to woo interest from the press and retailers. But as far as the average kid is concerned they don't exist.
#65 Posted: 19:00:05 20/01/2013
Yeah, csz, but that didn't stop them from having the Blue Bash last year, despite also having the Legendaries. There are no other mass retail stores they could go to, honestly. Not all cities/states have places like FRY's, Sears, K-Mart, and such.

So, the next logical thing, in my opinion, would be to release them in places that don't have an ingame variant yet (ie Scarlet, Royal, Punch, Granite, Jade, Molten, Polar, Gnarly).

I think it sucks that I would even have to give TRU a chance, since they raised their prices, them greedy little dorks. However, to complete my Giants collection, I guess that's what I'm going to have to do if it comes down to it.
---
#66 Posted: 20:04:03 20/01/2013
I think worst case is they release them in some form of bundle, like Royal and Gnarly. That would stink. I can totally see them releasing Molten in a special Battle Pack for Walmart, which would mean I probably won't be getting him. I caved on Punch because I wanted the 3ds game anyways, and got it for less than the Portal Owners version. I definitely don't think the Battlegrounds Pack is worth it for a variant unless the price drops down to clearance range. And forget about the Wii pack, way too much for a variant. And I won't do Ebay prices for either unless the market for them bottoms out.

I just have to hope that later down the road, they release them separately, but since Dark Spryo never hit as a single, I won't hold my breath. I think they could really do a good job in bridging the late summer gap by marketing the variants - and it would give the bundles/store exclusives enough time to make their run and not step on them.
#67 Posted: 20:31:38 20/01/2013
But unless Triple Pack 9 is Polar Whirlwind, Jade Flashwing, and Molten Hot Dog, I can't see how Jade and Polar would be in bundles. No Starter Packs include those characters. Molten could be a special Battle Pack at another store, but why didn't they give that to Gamestop, instead of the Battle Pack for 30 days?

Honestly, now that I think about it, what would be cool, is if Scarlet Ninjini was either a Best Buy or Walmart exclusive, and Triple Pack 9 contained Jade, Molten, and Polar, and was at the other one of those two stores, who didn't get Scarlet.
---
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#68 Posted: 21:27:40 20/01/2013
Quote: GameMaster78
I think it sucks that I would even have to give TRU a chance, since they raised their prices, them greedy little dorks. However, to complete my Giants collection, I guess that's what I'm going to have to do if it comes down to it.

Ya know, GM78, we can price match to all other stores on figures. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining. GM78 you've already proven you don't care how much these figures cost you. Hell, you buy two or more of every character you can.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
#69 Posted: 22:28:14 20/01/2013
It's the principal of the matter. Last year, when TRU was the first to hike up prices to 9.99, I asked a manager friend of mine why they did that.

What was his answer? I crap you not, this is what he said, "Because stupid son of a ******* will pay for them."

We have a LEGO store in my city, and heck, they charge less for LEGO's than TRU.

So, the reason I hate that TRU is doing it, is because they have people who state bluntly why they are. Because, we are stupid enough to pay for it. As for matching prices. I know they do. They will do it for me without an ad, because they know I don't lie. But, they don't tell other customers that, and how often do you see Target, Best Buy, or Walmart advertise Skylanders in their weekly ads?
---
#70 Posted: 23:06:58 20/01/2013
How often do they tell their customers they price match? I'm looking at this week's ad at this very moment and its stated on the bottom of the first page. I know for a fact the first ad of the year said it, and I'm near certain every ad from November and onward has said it. In addition, all the employees know they price match AND there are signs posted all over my store - maybe yours is different in that respect. Point is; Your arguement about the high cost of figures at TRU is moot. You yourself have admitted that you are more than aware of the ad match and you continue to complain despite them, on multiple occasions, having the most stock of Skylanders and the most variety of Skylanders - not to mention getting most unique peices earlier than other stores.

I sincerely apologize if I sound overly hostile towards you GM78. While I do feel you showboat alot, I do respect what you do for the fanbase as a whole. I'm just irritated you're complaining over a topic you've already learned to work around.

EDIT: http://toysrus.shoplocal.com/t...n-this-weeks-ad
---
Unique Character roster:
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:10:29 20/01/2013 by ShinkenRed
#71 Posted: 00:36:56 21/01/2013
Actually, Walmart says they match a lot. They have TV ads for it all of the time. Now, Target and Best Buy, I don't recall as much. I honestly think something more is going on here than TRU corp saying let's see if we can get everyone else to raise their prices. I think something on a contract or something ran out at the end of the year and something has changed. TRU maybe trying to prove a point, however I don't think it is going to work.
#72 Posted: 00:44:55 21/01/2013
You know, Walmart always states in their ad that they match any competitors prices or deal. When I am in the electronics department of ANY Walmart, they state the same thing, and even say you don't need an ad. Everytime I try to get them to honor it, it's always something that keeps them from honoring it. Whether it's "Oh, well there has to be an exact price. We don't match the deals without a specific price tag," it's "Oh, that changed." Then it becomes your word against theirs.

I tried getting TRU to price match the Legendary 3-Pack to Triple Packs from Walmart, which are still 24.99. What did they say? "That's an exclusive. We don't price match those." So, this comes around full circle. I am complaining about how they won't price match things that belong to them, or fail - at least in my city - to state they price match.

Here's one more example. The TRU that knows me, always states that they will price match for me, but don't tell anyone, as they don't want to price match unless someone mentions it.

There was an article on the net, about how stores will say they price match, but lie by using an asterix and small print. I'll see if I can't find it, because that article painted a good picture about a lying TRU and Walmart, when I tried to get them to price match, that article told me why I wouldn't, despite the fact those stores said they would. It's like this... and sorry for the political example here. Look at it like this. It's like when Republicans run for presidency, and they say, "just like Democrats, we believe in tax cuts." That's true. Do you see where you could put an asterix in that statement? See, they told the truth, but lied at the same time. They failed to mention that it was for people who make 250,000 or more. This gets closet Republicans, Independants, and maybe even some Democrats to switch sides. They fall for half truths.

Half truths is what ALL stores are good at. They say what you want to hear, which gets people not reading the small print. Once in the store, the customer will either be mad due to not feeling like they were told the whole truth, or some will just suck it up and pay full price to avoid confrontation.

Again, though, my complaints are merrited by the fact TRU won't price match prices when it comes to their exclusives. What do I still need from TRU? Legendary Chill, and anything else that is exclusive Skylanders wise. Now, if we were talking regular figures, sure. But, wave 3 is old news to me, and they don't tell people they price match. They wait for others to say match the price, and then they say, "Fine, show us the ad, and we will." The problem with that, again, is that every store doesn't have an ad every week, and if they do, it's not always going to have Skylanders in it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:47:47 21/01/2013 by GameMaster78
#73 Posted: 01:23:52 21/01/2013
I tried getting TRU to price match the Legendary 3-Pack to Triple Packs from Walmart, which are still 24.99. What did they say? "That's an exclusive. We don't price match those." Again, though, my complaints are merrited by the fact TRU won't price match prices when it comes to their exclusives. What do I still need from TRU? Legendary Chill, and anything else that is exclusive Skylanders wise.

How entitled do you think you are, GM78? How are you going to ask a TRU employee to take their unique item and price match it to a Walmart price despite said item not existing in Walmart's database. They are exclusives for a reason and if all you need now is L-LC Chill, you'll only be spending an extra two of three bucks to get the last of the TRU peices. If the cost of figures really bugs you that much, the price hike of $1 no less, then don't buy so many characters. Go from one open set and one sealed set to just one sealed set. Not to mention TRU puts Skylanders on sale seemingly once a month.
---
Unique Character roster:
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#74 Posted: 01:28:34 21/01/2013
GM, I hear ya bud but it is THEIR exclusive. That's common sense they can price it however they want.

The other 'landers are fair game though.
#75 Posted: 02:12:16 21/01/2013
I agree. I didn't pitch a fit to them when they said no, because it is their exclusive. I will be paying 10.99 for Legendary Chill(s) when she comes out. However, my complaints about how ALL retail stores run their price matching policies with stipulations no one would know about unless they do some digging, leaves a lot to be desired.

I am just trying to educate people that ALL stores have asterix's by those price match policies, and stores that don't have that "but" in there, you have to find it for yourself, and sometims, people are already in the stores when they find that out (ie too late).

Just sayin', there are two sides to these price matching policies.
---
#76 Posted: 02:18:06 21/01/2013
I remember when Best Buy launched Giants. They tried to give me EVERY excuse in the book as to why they couldn't price match TRU's B1G1 50% off. They tried lying, creating their own theories, and did everything in their power to try and not let me in on the deal, despite the fact I had an ad rolled up in my hand.

But none of it changes the fact that it sucks that whatever exclusive go in there, will cost extra, because like a manager friend said about ALL OF US, we are those stupid you know whats. He said anyone who pays their marked up prices on the popular brands, are exactly what I said he said earlier. TRU can do it and get away with it.

Only problem with this, is that Activision though to follow in the footsteps of TRU and price these all at 9.99 and 24.99 when Giants launched. What does that mean for Landers 3? All stores charge 10.99 and 25.99 now? If an increase every year at TRU, which leads to an increase in price across the board at all stores for the next game, suits everyone here fine, more power to ya. However, I was never one to fall for corporate greed. I do draw lines, believe it or not. If a corporation isn't happy with current profits and wants more, I simply flip them the bird and I'm done with them when I see fit.

Just being real.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:23:10 21/01/2013 by GameMaster78
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#77 Posted: 02:32:47 21/01/2013
There's no doubt in my mind the decline of Skylanders will come hard and swift sometime in the near future because of the growing discontent around things such as availability and prices. Activision's people better recognize this if they want to milk it for a longer period of time.
czs716 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1440
#78 Posted: 02:36:36 21/01/2013
^This is a case of you not reading fine print GM78. Look on any retailers website or in their ads, they DO NOT price match percentage sales. So if TRU has BOGO 50% off Walmart will not match it because there is no price. That's with every retailer. They will only match sales with a set price such as BOGO for $4.99 or all in sale for $7.99.

And I've not once had a problem with ANY store matching a competitors price on a sale with a specific price.

Quit whining.
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:38:03 21/01/2013 by czs716
#79 Posted: 02:37:21 21/01/2013
I would say until other retailers start to match the prices at TRU (when I say match here I mean the higher price as in 10.99 for regs and 15.99 for Giants) that the worrying maybe a bit early. I still think something ended with a contract between the two and they are in a stand off right now to see who can make it longer. My guess is activision will win on this one.
#80 Posted: 03:46:29 21/01/2013
I would say until other retailers start to match the prices at TRU (when I say match here I mean the higher price as in 10.99 for regs and 15.99 for Giants) that the worrying maybe a bit early. I still think something ended with a contract between the two and they are in a stand off right now to see who can make it longer. My guess is activision will win on this one.

Do you see the trend, Bazinga?

2011 -

SSA releases
MSRP: 7.99 and 19.99
December 2011/January 2012 - Toys R Us raises prices - MSRP: 9.99 and 24.99

2012 -

Giants releases
MSRP: 9.99 and 24.99
December 2012/January 2013 - Toys R Us raises prices - MSRP: 10.99 and 25.99

I never believe in coincidence. If this isn't Activision gradually raising prices by starting with one store and working its way to all stores by the time each new game releases, it's the other stores seeing TRU getting away with it. I tend to think it's Activision for one reason. When they released product info for Giants figures, they stated that MSRP for figures are 9.99, 11.99, 14.99, and 24.99. So, now it's happening again.

I guess when game 3 comes out, it will be this -

2013 -

Game 3 releases
MSRP: 10.99 and 24.99
December 2013/January 2014 - Toys R Us raises prices - MSRP: (?)

Take it to the bank, folks. I know a lot of people will "whine" about my "whining," but... just watch. There are smart people out there who know how corporate America works. NO CORPORATION is happy with any amounts of money. They always need more. Activision will run this franchise into the ground, just like they did Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero. I just hope - but don't expect - TFB will stand up and tell them to stop ruining great franchises in the best interests of investors.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:47:40 21/01/2013 by GameMaster78
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#81 Posted: 03:53:22 21/01/2013 | Topic Creator
To clarify something that's came up in this thread...

Walmart's policy is to price match when the exact price can be determined by the ad.

Translation: If the ad says "Buy One, Get one 50% off", Walmart policy is NOT to match it.

If the ad says "Buy one at $9.99, get one 50% off", then Walmart is supposed to match it.

If the ad states "Buy one, get one 50% off" and it's something you know is $9.99 at the other retailer, then Walmart is NOT supposed to match it, because the exact price cannot be determined by the ad.

Unfortunately, too many employees don't seem to understand this. I know I've had issues with this exact thing.
#82 Posted: 04:00:03 21/01/2013
I do see that trend. However, keep in mind that their maybe more happening than greed (which everyone seems to jump on as the only reason for a price increase) for the price increase.

I am trying to stay away from starting a big argument here and as you know from my other posts I tend to respect and understand both sides of the story.

However, things changed at the first of the year. Did you know that everyones taxes went up? Not just the people who made more than 400K or 450K for couples. No matter where you fall on how you feel about the healthcare law, it is costing businesses more. Businesses taxes went up. People expect raises most of the time at work. I know I do. I am pretty sure everyone else does also. The fact is that sometimes business raise prices because they want to be greedy. They also raise prices from time to time to be able to stay in business. Most of the time I bet it is a little bit of both.

Not trying to start a fight, or say anyone is wrong or right. Just that you can't always blame a price increase on greed. Usually their is something going on behind the scenes that is causing this to happen.

Anyways, I respect everyones opinion on this and expect someone to rip me for my statements but alas, it is the internet. I will get the popcorn ready.
#83 Posted: 05:27:43 21/01/2013
I do see that trend. However, keep in mind that their maybe more happening than greed (which everyone seems to jump on as the only reason for a price increase) for the price increase.

I am trying to stay away from starting a big argument here and as you know from my other posts I tend to respect and understand both sides of the story.

However, things changed at the first of the year. Did you know that everyones taxes went up? Not just the people who made more than 400K or 450K for couples. No matter where you fall on how you feel about the healthcare law, it is costing businesses more. Businesses taxes went up. People expect raises most of the time at work. I know I do. I am pretty sure everyone else does also. The fact is that sometimes business raise prices because they want to be greedy. They also raise prices from time to time to be able to stay in business. Most of the time I bet it is a little bit of both.

Not trying to start a fight, or say anyone is wrong or right. Just that you can't always blame a price increase on greed. Usually their is something going on behind the scenes that is causing this to happen.

Anyways, I respect everyones opinion on this and expect someone to rip me for my statements but alas, it is the internet. I will get the popcorn ready.

But what was the reasoning for doing it the first time? America can't blame the fiscal cliff - in my opinion - for everything. And, taxes are still at Bush era, thanks to the House and Senate getting it done. My taxes didn't go up in the slightest. They avoided that, and that's why milk prices dropped back to down below 4 dollars a gallon.

I personally don't think it had anything to do with the fiscal cliff, because this happened this time last year. How can I bet it will happen again this time next year, or around December, when they will try and raise prices again, of Skylanders, to stress test what people are willing to spend for them?
---
#84 Posted: 05:52:24 21/01/2013
Slivers, I don't tell you how to run your life. Don't tell me how to run mine, thank you very much. smilie

I wasn't born to serve your thoughts. Bazinga and I have already talked about this. We are having a good debate about this. Mature, unlike your posts towards me, because frankly, you're complaining about my complaining. Comedy indeed.

I haven't bought a Skylander from TRU since before the price hike, homie. Thought you knew? smilie
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:54:26 21/01/2013 by GameMaster78
Slivers Yellow Sparx Gems: 1387
#85 Posted: 06:04:19 21/01/2013
GM78, this isn't about TRU or your posts or the debate or comments on maturity or running your life. I am trying to explain that when demand is significant enough to have people filling shopping carts the day Skylanders are released, the principles of supply and demand kick in ASAP and good, capitalistic business says to raise prices ASAP to help the market equalize itself.

The simple fact that Activision-Blizzard and all the retailers, including TRU, have kept pricing relatively whole is a testament to them WANTING to keep customers happy. In principle, if TRU or GS or any retailer jacked pricing up by $10 for newly released Skylanders they would still sell everything they have in the first three days and, many, in the first hours of availability.

The point being we all WANT them. And, because of that, pricing will increase over time until we all begin to say "not worth it". Until that time, we all are fueling the principles of Supply and Demand.

No conspiracy. No politics. No debate. Just very basic laws of economics, unfortunately.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:05:11 21/01/2013 by Slivers
#86 Posted: 06:09:08 21/01/2013
Exactly. It goes back to what my manager friend said. He stated stupid bleep-bleep-bleeps are willing to pay for them, so they raised the price.

I am just surprised Gamestop hasn't followed suit yet, like last year. However, TFB/Acti can't blame anyone but themselves if they keep allowing the prices to get raised, and people start getting turned off to the idea of buying 75 dollar - 10 hour games - plus 10+ dollar figures.

I'm just saying, watch the pattern. Don't be surprised if the prices all match TRU's current prices when game 3 releases, followed by TRU price hiking again this time next year. I used to think it was TRU's fault, at a time. However, when Activision started marketing Giants, by releasing info, they had the same price points as TRU. It's almost if they try to do it gradually, so no one will pay attention. Who knows. I just see a pattern forming, and it's a pattern that doesn't benefit us customers, due to the game being so short and easy... sad to say. smilie
---
#87 Posted: 06:19:58 21/01/2013
Exactly. It goes back to what my manager friend said. He stated stupid bleep-bleep-bleeps are willing to pay for them, so they raised the price.

I am just surprised Gamestop hasn't followed suit yet, like last year. However, TFB/Acti can't blame anyone but themselves if they keep allowing the prices to get raised, and people start getting turned off to the idea of buying 75 dollar - 10 hour games - plus 10+ dollar figures.

I'm just saying, watch the pattern. Don't be surprised if the prices all match TRU's current prices when game 3 releases, followed by TRU price hiking again this time next year. I used to think it was TRU's fault, at a time. However, when Activision started marketing Giants, by releasing info, they had the same price points as TRU. It's almost if they try to do it gradually, so no one will pay attention. Who knows. I just see a pattern forming, and it's a pattern that doesn't benefit us customers, due to the game being so short and easy... sad to say. smilie

Mostly accurate, GM78, but you are placing blame incorrectly here.

1) As discussed, TRU and other retailers are reacting to market conditions especially in regards to variants like Molten Hot Dog.
2) Activision-Blizzard has zero ability to "dictate" pricing in the marketplace. They can give MSRP/ESP to the retail and support to do advertising or merchandising but beyond that have ZERO say in what pricing a retailer has. If they even suggest or say or print otherwise, the FTC will, especially in cases like this, hit them with the federal lawsuit bat (and yes, the FTC has already been in communication with Activision-Blizzard since late 2011 regarding this). Because of this, Activision-Blizzard has not, nor I expect them to, raise the cost to retail of any Skylanders during the Giant series.
3) Retailers are "demanding" drop ship and absorbing the expedited shipping costs associated with them. This increases their cost per figure significantly as a % of retail pricing.
4) In turn, those who try and bring Skylanders faster to market to satisfy all of us, need to recoup costs as they see necessary (i.e. via retail increases).
5) Year three will likely demand higher Skylander figure costs but not at Activisions request, but by all of Retail trying to balance demand versus profit taking all the above in to account.

In the end, the only conclusion you can truly count on is that as we customers continue to gobble up Skylanders, pricing will increase; not because of Activision-Blizzard, not because of Retail, not because of Politics, not because of Space Aliens interfering in the evening.

Skylanders' prices will increase because of us. The consumers. Buying voraciously. And camping stores for Molten Hot Dog day of release .... like I will be smilie
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 18:40:29 21/01/2013 by Slivers
#88 Posted: 07:20:32 21/01/2013
Aack!Almost forgot ....

Thanks UncleBob!!!!!!!
triggernut Emerald Sparx Gems: 3483
#89 Posted: 07:34:28 21/01/2013
Huh, for some strange reason I thought this was a topic on the possible appearance of Molten Hot Dog coming soon to Walmart. I wonder where I could've gotten that idea since this is CLEARLY about store price matching policies, TRU price jacks, and corporate greed.

Sorry everyone my mistake, but could somebody please point me in the direction of the Molten Hot Dog topic?
landbasered Blue Sparx Gems: 719
#90 Posted: 08:53:21 21/01/2013
How many Cynders do they think we want?

Her single packs will be warming the shelves for months, I swear
---
Check out my site at lbr-skylanders.info
Peridot Weapon Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#91 Posted: 09:23:47 21/01/2013
How many Cynders do they think we want?

Just be glad they haven't gone the Elemental Palette Swap route yet. You know THAT'S coming.

Elementally "touched" Skylanders which will have a different color pattern and different element for gate opening and which zones give them an elemental boost, with no other difference in-game. (Which is still more than the current variants give, I suppose.)

Let's say the next Skylanders game has ... I dunno, Dino-Rang, Camo and Wham-Shell in the starter pack. Which obviously wouldn't happen, because at least two would be new and one would be a Giant, but for the purposes of example.

The Wii version comes with a Fire-touched Wham-Shell.
The PS3 version comes with an Undead-touched Camo.
The 360 version comes with an Air-touched Dino-Rang.
The 3DS version comes with a MAGIC-touched Wham-Shell.

All "touched" variants remain exclusive to their respective system version. You've just taken the same three characters in the same starter pack and made it different for each game, with minimal effort.

If taken to extremes, they could make 384 "characters" out of the 48 that exist without creating a single new design. :/

Magic/Tech/Water
Air/Life/Undead
#92 Posted: 11:29:23 21/01/2013

But what was the reasoning for doing it the first time? America can't blame the fiscal cliff - in my opinion - for everything. And, taxes are still at Bush era, thanks to the House and Senate getting it done. My taxes didn't go up in the slightest. They avoided that, and that's why milk prices dropped back to down below 4 dollars a gallon.

I personally don't think it had anything to do with the fiscal cliff, because this happened this time last year. How can I bet it will happen again this time next year, or around December, when they will try and raise prices again, of Skylanders, to stress test what people are willing to spend for them?

If you look at your check your Social Security tax went up. It was at I think 4.2% and it went to 6.2%. That happened to everyone. The other things we don't see as far as taxes going up, yet. We will and we will see prices go up again. You said something about milk going back down under 4 bucks a gallon, that has to do with the "farm bill" that was passed. It has more to do with food and other programs than really farming but that is what they call it.
sniper52 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1315
#93 Posted: 11:56:44 21/01/2013
Quote: Bravo101
Polar Whirlwind. McDonalds Happy Meal. Coming soon.

Skylanders in happy meals? Then I would have my sisters give me their toys so I can play with them.
---
HAISHFTAYADGHpenisHDGNADGITUGDUAHD
johnsonsteven86 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1563
#94 Posted: 14:53:11 21/01/2013
probably time for this thread to be closed it has gotten way off topic
---
WTB: Frito-lay Hotdog as cheap as possible
#95 Posted: 15:00:15 21/01/2013
Quote: sniper52
Quote: Bravo101
Polar Whirlwind. McDonalds Happy Meal. Coming soon.

Skylanders in happy meals? Then I would have my sisters give me their toys so I can play with them.

That would be the easiest variant to get in my opinion.
---
FLEIJA Green Sparx Gems: 395
#96 Posted: 15:41:21 21/01/2013
im with gamemaster78, as long as the ingame varaintsare store exclusives they will surely take my money.
with regards to price match you shud have proof of items to match all stores will surely price match weekly ads and some stores will price match online price. thats what I do when I tell my local stores most of the time I use the weekly ads.
they shud meet the demands of current figures for now before even producing these variants.
---
MIA: Volcanic Vault & Gnarly Tree Rex
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#97 Posted: 16:05:26 21/01/2013
Quote: triggernut
Huh, for some strange reason I thought this was a topic on the possible appearance of Molten Hot Dog coming soon to Walmart. I wonder where I could've gotten that idea since this is CLEARLY about store price matching policies, TRU price jacks, and corporate greed.

Sorry everyone my mistake, but could somebody please point me in the direction of the Molten Hot Dog topic?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
FLEIJA Green Sparx Gems: 395
#98 Posted: 16:13:34 21/01/2013
Quote: X-Treme
Quote: triggernut

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

you shud already know that its probably a troll or as most forumer states "no pics, never happened". why wud they even bother molten,now if they even match the demand so SS pack,TB and EB?
---
MIA: Volcanic Vault & Gnarly Tree Rex
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#99 Posted: 16:44:32 21/01/2013
Keep in mind with the price increases that Skylanders R&D is eating a lot of the revenue. They've published a sequel on all systems (with more sure to come), three apps on the side (with more sure to come), not to mention server maintenance and updates for the online Universe, as well as the bottomless moneypit necessary to sustain a real advertising blitz the way Giants had. None of this stuff is free for them. Every bit of content we see is developed by a human being with a salary that we're paying by buying these figures. Yes, you may elect not to use the Universe or the apps, but that doesn't mean your purchases aren't paying for them. It's not all just shady business--building the multiplatform market permanence they're aiming for is absurdly expensive. Figure prices are going up because less of that money is making it into bank accounts and more is flying right out the door on advertising, exclusives, new games, and even free-to-play content.

Yes, it's a ripoff buying $600 worth of toys just for the console experience alone, but that's not the only part of Skylanders they want you to be experiencing. Their business model works best when everyone is on their consoles, 3DS systems, iPods and computers, doing nothing but Skylanders 'round the clock. Nobody intends for you to only play the console game and have done. Why develop all that's been developed if that's where the game is supposed to begin and end? $10.99 for a figure isn't such a bad price for (currently) six games of functionality plus the toy itself. I don't feel ripped off at all. Sure, I'd prefer $7.99 again, and who wouldn't? But the reality is that they're spending a lot more this time, too, and it's not all profit-profit-profit.
#100 Posted: 17:11:47 21/01/2013
Skylanders is expensive, to be sure, but it depends on how you see the game. If the figures are just to unlock content in the console game only, then yeah. If you see the game as just something to be beaten on one skill level then done, yeah. But when I buy a figure, for me I see it like this:

- The figures are nice and fun to collect, and aren't really out of line price-wise with other collectible figures.
- The figures have memory to hold data from my playtime, leveling, etc.
- The figures open content in five (seven if you count SSA) games for me, three of which I play regularly.
- The hunt is fun, it can be frustrating, but finding a new figure is a rush. And giving it to my sons and seeing their reaction is twice as fun.
- I play with my sons, it is a great bonding experience.

Now, it does cut into my budget for other games at times. But, I'd rather enjoy Skylanders with my sons than sit by myself and play Halo 4 or something. I skipped a few big releases I normally would have gotten in the past because of Skylanders, but a gaming budget is a budget - something has to give. And there is only so much time in the day, and if I do have some time to play by myself, I have a decent backlog of games I haven't beaten that I can play. And once I finish those I can always pick up the newer stuff for a lot cheaper if I wait anyways. Ni No Kuni, Metal Gear Solid Rising, DmC and others look great, but they will be a great deal cheaper down the road.

As far as the topic of Molten Hot Dog is concerned, well all available information is known and debated already. I'm sorry if you came here and expected to find brand new info on Molten Hot Dog, but nothing new has been said since page 1 - and lots of speculation on top of that.
First | Page 2 of 11 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me