Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
What's next? [CLOSED]
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#51 Posted: 11:07:50 21/08/2012
Well, yeah. Unless we're talking about different things here. When you put the figures on the portal, they come 'alive' in their own world - That's meant to be his model in Skylanders.

Skylanders is it's own universe now. If Acti release a Skyro game, it would be classified as a spin off from the Skylanders series.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Silvery Green Sparx Gems: 353
#52 Posted: 11:32:14 21/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Yes, yes, but when Skylanders: SA was being published, it was supposed to be a spin-off game for Spyro. Now, Skylanders is becoming its own series, where Spyro only features as a guest, sort of like the various Nintendo characters and whatnot in Smash Bros.

For Activision to make a Skyro game, or even plausibly use the Skyro in-game model, they would have to import the whole Skylanders toy-plot into the new game, making it a Skylanders (not Spyro) game. (For clarity's sake, a Skyro game is always a Skylanders game since Skyro is defined by the Skylanders plot, but not every Skylanders game is a Skyro game since there are the other 50-something just-as-important characters there too.)

With that established, and assuming that Skylanders: SA is indeed a spin-off as far as the Spyro (!) franchise goes, you can do the deducing yourself... For Spyro to get back 'on-track' (as opposed to being 'spinned off'), the above demands for the Skylanders plot (and thus Skyro) to be dropped and left to its respective universe. If not, it will just be more continuation to the spin-off.
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#53 Posted: 11:40:44 21/08/2012
They could just make a game like 3DSLanders: A combination of Classic and Legend, yet very different from them. A combat game filled with Platformer elements. That's actually what a lot of people were expecting from Consolelanders.
#54 Posted: 11:48:08 21/08/2012
Quote: Silvery
Yes, yes, but when Skylanders: SA was being published, it was supposed to be a spin-off game for Spyro. Now, Skylanders is becoming its own series, where Spyro only features as a guest, sort of like the various Nintendo characters and whatnot in Smash Bros.

For Activision to make a Skyro game, or even plausibly use the Skyro in-game model, they would have to import the whole Skylanders toy-plot into the new game, making it a Skylanders (not Spyro) game. (For clarity's sake, a Skyro game is always a Skylanders game since Skyro is defined by the Skylanders plot, but not every Skylanders game is a Skyro game since there are the other 50-something just-as-important characters there too.)

With that established, and assuming that Skylanders: SA is indeed a spin-off as far as the Spyro (!) franchise goes, you can do the deducing yourself... For Spyro to get back 'on-track' (as opposed to being 'spinned off'), the above demands for the Skylanders plot (and thus Skyro) to be dropped and left to its respective universe. If not, it will just be more continuation to the spin-off.

I see where you're coming from, but it doesn't change anything. You don't need to use the toy plot into the new game at all though. It could easily work without it.

Perhaps it will be a continuation to the spin-off, or perhaps it will eventually lead to it's own series. Either way, I really doubt Activision care about the older fans, as demonstrated by this reboot/spin-off in the first place. Legend and Classic are long gone, more's the pity - No petition or angry emails will ever get them to go back.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:49:13 21/08/2012 by RadSpyro
#55 Posted: 01:02:54 22/08/2012 | Topic Creator
What I'm trying to get across here is that this whole notion of 'Classic/Legend are gone' is based on the notion that Skylanders is a Spyro series, which it's not. You don't see the Nintendo characters that feature in Smash Bros continue from where the game left off. It's simply a guest appearance by them in the game; non-canon, a spin-off in the broadest meaning of the term.

Classic Spyro is Spyro. The whole series is about the purple dragon's adventures, with others characters easily paling in importance to him.
The legend of Spyro is Spyro. Obviously same as above. Even in DotD Spyro has the ultimate role of saving the world.
Skylanders is Skylanders. Spyro's no more important than any of the other playable characters. He's just one of the ~50 Skylanders. They used Spyro (and his popularity) to give the new Skylanders franchise a push-start, and that's it. The name 'Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures' is indication of that and only that; not of how prominent Spyro himself is in the game.

I make the bold claim that Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures should not be equated with Spyro games.
That it shouldn't be listed when asked to list all Spyro games. Not even in your mind, when jogging your brain.
If you want to list all games featuring Spyro as a playable character then it can and should be listed.

Take the Star Fox franchise as an example. If I were to list all Star Fox games, I'd be:
"Easy. Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, Star Fox Command."
If I was then asked to list all games that feature Fox McCloud as a playable character, I'd say:
"Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Super Smash Bros, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, Star Fox Command, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
You can be an avid Star Fox fan and buy SSBB and play the crap out if it using only Fox McCloud, and enjoy it, but that doesn't make it a Star Fox game, nor does it make the story Fox McCloud goes through in it, or that Fox himself, part of the Star Fox continuum. ;p

The Spyro in the Skylanders series is a Skylandic, toy-like designed interpretation of Spyro. I do not see Skyro as a part of the Spyro continuum, and that notion is not spurred by any irrational hate but plain logic which I just explained. smilie
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 01:15:36 22/08/2012 by Silvery
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#56 Posted: 01:19:41 22/08/2012
I'd remove Star Fox Adventures from that list because, based on your logic, it's not a Star Fox game either because it's actually the cancelled Dinosaur Planet with Star Fox shoehorned in to make the game sell. The same could be said of the USA Super Mario Bros. 2 since it's actually Doki Doki Panic but Nintendo retooled it to have Mario so it would sell in the United States. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#57 Posted: 01:33:10 22/08/2012 | Topic Creator
I know of that. smilie That's a different case, since the end product is a Star Fox game, the story of which is continued in Star Fox Assault, another Star Fox game (which this time wasn't originally intended to be something else).
#58 Posted: 10:10:43 22/08/2012
Yes, I understand that. And I appreciate where you're coming from.

But what you asked was: Is Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure still a spin-off or the new permanent direction?

And the answer is the new permanent direction. It doesn't matter how people view it, spin-off or canon - This is Spyro's future. Whether we love it or hate it, Skyro is a new Spyro. The toy notion is just there to gain attention - Even if the idea of toys was never implemented, this would have still been his model. He's also clearly marked as the leader of the Skylanders which, in some sense, makes him the main character. Perhaps it is in a Smash Bros kinda way, but nothing will alter it.

There's been so many petitions to bring back the old Spyro (Legend or Classic), death threats, numerous emails, etc. and Activision have ignored them all. They plan on keeping Skyro here for a long, long time.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5448
#59 Posted: 10:25:17 22/08/2012
probably more skylanders,
yay! smilie
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#60 Posted: 17:21:29 22/08/2012
I can see Activision pairing up with Dreamworks for a movie or TV series if Giants proves to be as successful as the original...

...Not sure if that's good or bad. <.< >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me