Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
What's next for Spyro? [CLOSED]
Cooldude12 Green Sparx Gems: 123
#1 Posted: 19:49:16 06/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Hey everyone! I'm a huge Spyro fan and absolutely love Spyro games. So when skylanders came out I was like, "omg I have to get this!" I got it and everything and played the game, beat it, and ect. I was a bit disappointed though. I now that Spyro is with a different company and everything but it just didn't feel like a Spyro game. Skylanders was just too easy for me and it really didn't fit in with any of the other Spyro games. In fact, it didn't even feature Spyro. It was a good game though and everything it's just not Spyro. I'm a bit worried that this will completely ruin Spyro. Activation should hopefully come out with a game that centers Spyro or Spyro might be gone forever. I'm really hopping that they come out with a Spyro centered game soon. Anyone know any word of one?

Cooldude12
---
When life gives you lemons. Make lemonade
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8325
#2 Posted: 19:53:06 06/08/2012
There's Skylanders Giants, but nothing else we know of at this point.
#3 Posted: 19:55:14 06/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Allright. Thanks for the update!

Cooldude12
---
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#4 Posted: 01:25:59 07/08/2012
Spyro is dead.
#5 Posted: 02:27:51 07/08/2012 | Topic Creator
I was thinking of playing ripto's rage tomorrow. Probably my favorite one. I haven't played it in awhile though.

Cooldude12
---
#6 Posted: 02:34:07 07/08/2012 | Topic Creator
What's everyone elses favorite Spyro game?
---
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8325
#7 Posted: 11:36:15 07/08/2012
My favorite Spyro game is TEN.
Adjeca Blue Sparx Gems: 749
#8 Posted: 19:40:42 11/08/2012
Quote: bionicle2809
Spyro is dead.

Indeed. Universal destroyed the series once they owned it (in my opinion of course).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:41:43 11/08/2012 by Adjeca
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#9 Posted: 19:41:57 11/08/2012
What? What are you talking about, Ad? Universal published the first three Spyro games Insomniac Games developed.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#10 Posted: 19:54:07 11/08/2012
They published it but did not think of anything regarding the gameplay/story. It's the same as how authors and publishers work with books and such.

After Insomniac abandoned the series (they decided never again to make another game for a reason unknown to me), Universal picked and chose who they wanted to have design and develop the next Spyro games.

I had the most fun from the games developed by Insomniac. Don't get me wrong, some games made after them I too enjoyed.
#11 Posted: 19:56:46 11/08/2012
Insomniac CEO Ted Price said the reason they've stopped was because Spyro's actions was limited and he wasn't designed to hold anything in his paws.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#12 Posted: 20:06:49 11/08/2012
Yep which I think is a LAME excuse! >.<
#13 Posted: 20:12:21 11/08/2012
You can't blame them, they've wanted to do something different, something they enjoy making.
---
#14 Posted: 20:26:34 11/08/2012
I don't blame Insomniac, they are geniuses. I blame Universal for making the same typical mindless corporate decisions many other corps have. Kinda like how Rareware's games were made by Microsofts in due time.

One example. I loved Conker's Bad Fur Day which was developed by RARE. But the XBox version was made by Microsoft and they bought out RARE and it sucked ass and pissed me off!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:27:47 11/08/2012 by Adjeca
Todorov_T_11 Green Sparx Gems: 282
#15 Posted: 21:41:41 11/08/2012
Spyro is dead.

Game over man game over
#16 Posted: 21:56:01 11/08/2012
Quote: Aura24
Insomniac CEO Ted Price said the reason they've stopped was because Spyro's actions was limited and he wasn't designed to hold anything in his paws.

Actually, that was a running joke that they invented when people who didn't understand how commission works kept asking them why they left Spyro. Sony offered Insomniac a publishing deal, Insomniac took it but because Universal owned the rights to Spyro they couldn't develop a Spyro game under Sony so they had to think of something new. That's why they haven't (yet) left R&C behind.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:56:18 11/08/2012 by bionicle2809
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#17 Posted: 01:26:12 13/08/2012

Actually, that was a running joke that they invented when people who didn't understand how commission works kept asking them why they left Spyro. Sony offered Insomniac a publishing deal, Insomniac took it but because Universal owned the rights to Spyro they couldn't develop a Spyro game under Sony so they had to think of something new. That's why they haven't (yet) left R&C behind.

Also, I'm pretty sure Insomniac had been wanted to become an independent developer while they were making Spyro 3. >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#18 Posted: 11:30:10 13/08/2012
Quote: HIR

Also, I'm pretty sure Insomniac had been wanted to become an independent developer while they were making Spyro 3. >.>

They were, and still are, Insomniac were never a part of Universal and neither are they a part of Sony.
#19 Posted: 21:30:12 13/08/2012
You're right, my bad. I meant that they wanted to go forward with a new IP (which they ended up scrapping for Ratchet & Clank anyway).
---
jennacat4 Gold Sparx Gems: 2329
#20 Posted: 14:33:12 15/08/2012
I personally like The Eternal Night.
---
http://youtu.be/gSSUco8AzDU
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#21 Posted: 15:27:06 15/08/2012
Quote: Cooldude12
Hey everyone! I'm a huge Spyro fan and absolutely love Spyro games. So when skylanders came out I was like, "omg I have to get this!" I got it and everything and played the game, beat it, and ect. I was a bit disappointed though. I now that Spyro is with a different company and everything but it just didn't feel like a Spyro game. Skylanders was just too easy for me and it really didn't fit in with any of the other Spyro games. In fact, it didn't even feature Spyro. It was a good game though and everything it's just not Spyro. I'm a bit worried that this will completely ruin Spyro. Activation should hopefully come out with a game that centers Spyro or Spyro might be gone forever. I'm really hopping that they come out with a Spyro centered game soon. Anyone know any word of one?

Cooldude12

I agree that Skylanders is not a Spyro game. They need to find a developer that actually enjoys Spyro from the day that it launched and continue with that style of collecting, paltforming and adventure; instead of reducing it to an all already easy way out beat-em-up game.

Shoot, if the new guys developing Sly 4 can have the same love for the original Spyro games then that would be a well invested move IMO.
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#22 Posted: 19:29:19 15/08/2012
Quote: Zackeio
Quote: Cooldude12

Cooldude12

I agree that Skylanders is not a Spyro game. They need to find a developer that actually enjoys Spyro from the day that it launched and continue with that style of collecting, paltforming and adventure; instead of reducing it to an all already easy way out beat-em-up game.

Shoot, if the new guys developing Sly 4 can have the same love for the original Spyro games then that would be a well invested move IMO.

I'm Agree
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
uberblast555 Green Sparx Gems: 125
#23 Posted: 07:34:54 16/08/2012
I don't think there will ever be a real Spyro game again...
ilovespyro11 Gnorc Gems: 334
#24 Posted: 14:22:55 17/08/2012
the Insomniac trilogy are my faves smilie

There are lots of rumours.
-Insomniac couldn't find anything else to do with Spyro so they left him with Universal.
-They got bored of Spyro.
-They were given a three-year contract-which is strange, becuase at the end of YOTD they mention they've had "four, fun, sleeples years" making it.
-They had an idea for a new, more interesting game.

I'm still in hope that a game developer will take in Spyro and start it all over again, from EtD...
#25 Posted: 15:24:02 17/08/2012
Quote: ilovespyro11
the Insomniac trilogy are my faves :)

-Insomniac couldn't find anything else to do with Spyro so they left him with Universal.
-They were given a three-year contract-which is strange, becuase at the end of YOTD they mention they've had "four, fun, sleeples years" making it.

I'm still in hope that a game developer will take in Spyro and start it all over again, from EtD...

Insomniac needed 2 years to develop the original Spyro the Dragon. Hence, 4 years.
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#26 Posted: 07:56:45 21/08/2012
Quote: HIR
Quote: ilovespyro11
the Insomniac trilogy are my faves smilie

Insomniac needed 2 years to develop the original Spyro the Dragon. Hence, 4 years.

So basically they worked with Spyro between the years of 1996 to 2000. That's four years right there, lol. So really I guess they spent two years working on Spyro the Dragon (1996 to 1998). And one year for each of the other two.
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5448
#27 Posted: 09:37:29 21/08/2012
^ that'd make sense since they'd just use the same engine I guess.
I really don't mind if they keep doing skylanders, just as spyro stays, I'll be ok.
#28 Posted: 12:53:23 21/08/2012
No... they definitely upgraded the game engine between Spyro the Dragon and Gateway to Glimmer. They didn't make any changes between GTG and YotD however. >.>
---
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5448
#29 Posted: 22:13:17 21/08/2012
I meant they just based it on that engine and build up on it smilie
that was me sorry.
#30 Posted: 22:42:31 21/08/2012
Well from what I understand, Alex Hastings built the foundations for the Spyro engine and a lot of the programming and design that made it so polished was thanks to Mark Cerny, who was (incidentally) one of the executive producers for Spyro 1 & 2 and continued design work for Insomniac up through Resistance 2. >.>
---
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#31 Posted: 11:47:16 22/08/2012
The new mechanics like gliding and swimming probably didn't take that long to add and were scrapped or then-unavailable ideas like the Giants being planned for but not put into Skylanders 1.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me