Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
One Problem [CLOSED]
SpyroD Emerald Sparx Gems: 4926
#1 Posted: 20:33:07 09/02/2012 | Topic Creator
In my opinion: Why did they keep Cynder's story from LoS? Spyro's is different. This has bothered me since I heard and read Cynder's char. profile(thing(story(background))), it's a bunch of bs if you ask me.

What are your thoughts on why they kept Cynder's story, but not her looks and Spyro' story?

That is the only thing(besides the prevailing fact that Spyro went through some major changes) that is bothering me about this game(Skylanders).
---
"How will you feel when you're left behind? Everyone leaves, it's just a matter of time." 12115-PrinceW.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#2 Posted: 20:34:44 09/02/2012
It's just a game, SpyroD. They wanted Skylanders Cynder to be similar to her LoS counterpart, in the universe where she originated from. Simple. That's their choice. And remember that Skylander is a reboot, it has nothing to do with the story of the LoS.

And Spyro is still "a rare purple dragon having the ability to harness the powers of all the elements"-LoS cliche in Skylanders, if you had read his backstory.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 21:13:59 09/02/2012 by Aura24
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#3 Posted: 21:35:18 09/02/2012
It's not really that much of a problem, you seem to be making it seem like one by over-reacting to it. There are lots of plotholes or things that don't make much sense in Spyro games, even video games in general and you don't pick them out do you.
#4 Posted: 21:36:56 09/02/2012
Cynder's backstory in Skylander being similar to her LoS counterpart is the only apparent thing that annoys him obviously, which isn't that big of a deal.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#5 Posted: 22:10:11 09/02/2012
They got lazy.
ShaqUoh Ripto Gems: 12
#6 Posted: 22:54:47 09/02/2012
Quote: Kitty
They got lazy.

Amen.
#7 Posted: 07:18:36 10/02/2012
It's not that much of a problem.

Amen.

At least it's not like ETD. smilie That game was a problem, actually no, IS a problem.
#8 Posted: 15:59:33 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I'm not over-reacting, it just stood out the most to me. Spyro doesn't seem to know Cynder in Skylanders, and sure he is still the rare purple dragon, but they don't make it that big of a deal in this game. Also i was just asking for your thought on it not facts.

I just don't see why they connected Cynder from LoS to skylanders and there not be a guardian or true reason why she is in there?(right now, i can't explain it, so if my words don't make sense, oh well, thats just me.) Q2: If Cynder has the same background, then why is she not able to use her four elements?
---
"How will you feel when you're left behind? Everyone leaves, it's just a matter of time." 12115-PrinceW.
#9 Posted: 21:45:53 10/02/2012
Reboot, I repeat, re-boot. Similar backstory, but different character.
---
#10 Posted: 18:10:41 14/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Ok I get it, but i was asking because it didn't match to well. Also i was just asking for YOU opinion or thoughts, not what you found out, we all get that it's a re-boot. As i asked: why did Cynder's story stay the same, but Spyro's changed, didn't he help Cynder(well no duh, its part of the"talk"(hard to explain except that it is a question people already know the answer to to add to the comical effect(but by this point, no comedy)))? If so then why wasn't that part added into Spyro's story.

BTW: this was really meant to be debate topic, not a huge question from a stubborn person that can't accept reality, though I don't i still pose my questions.
---
#11 Posted: 19:38:25 14/02/2012
Quote: SpyroD
Ok I get it, but i was asking because it didn't match to well. Also i was just asking for YOU opinion or thoughts, not what you found out, we all get that it's a re-boot. As i asked: why did Cynder's story stay the same, but Spyro's changed, didn't he help Cynder(well no duh, its part of the"talk"(hard to explain except that it is a question people already know the answer to to add to the comical effect(but by this point, no comedy)))? If so then why wasn't that part added into Spyro's story.

BTW: this was really meant to be debate topic, not a huge question from a stubborn person that can't accept reality, though I don't i still pose my questions.

What on Earth are you talking about? Of course things will be different if the story has been reset, they can still alter their back stories, it doesn't mean that any of the events in LoS actually happened. Just like the original Spyro storylines never happened in LoS. Those back stories in Skylanders don't have to necessarily need to be exactly the same as it's a reboot. It's just an extra thing that's all. In other words it's not meant to be taken seriously. All they're doing is outlining some things about what has happened to the character.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:40:19 14/02/2012 by SuperSpyroFan
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#12 Posted: 20:55:30 14/02/2012
Honestly, I felt that Cynder's story in Skylanders took all the good parts of her LoS background and dumped the crap. It's so vague now that you can interpret it as you wish. She served Malefor, but he's not the same guy he was and she didn't do the same things she did for him. And it can be argued that she and Spyro barely know each other (I like to think that Hex is the one who helped Cynder escape Malefor and she didn't meet Spyro until after).
#13 Posted: 06:26:54 15/02/2012
I like that she is still menacing despite wanting to redeem herself lol
---
#14 Posted: 07:11:48 15/02/2012
Me, too. It puts her back into being the character I liked in ANB/TEN: someone who kicks butt and doesn't let her worries get in the way of said butt kicking. smilie
#15 Posted: 07:16:33 15/02/2012
"I'd tell you nice try, but... it wasn't." lol
---
SilentButDeadly Gold Sparx Gems: 2086
#16 Posted: 14:12:09 15/02/2012
Personally, I think TLOS Cynder (Well, any TLOS character, except maybe Sparx) isn't at all interesting like Sky Cynder (all badass, punky, and cheesy). And she doesn't even have a role other than being one of many playable characters ...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:20:31 15/02/2012 by SilentButDeadly
Zarisxune Red Sparx Gems: 91
#17 Posted: 14:26:11 15/02/2012
How can she be more interesting if she doesn't have an in depth story to go with her...smart aleck comments an interesting character does not make.

edit: fixed
---
I have been nominated.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:34:04 15/02/2012 by Zarisxune
#18 Posted: 14:29:26 15/02/2012
Quote: Zarisxune
How can she be more interesting if she doesn't have an in depth story to go with her...smart *** comments an interesting character does not make.

Zaris, are you a big LoS fan? Because obviously talking that way all because Skylanders Cynder is more interesting to some of us in our opinions isn't going to go well for you here.

It's not her lines that makes her interesting, it's that her backstory isn't like her LoS counterpart whose personality wasn't expanded enough during each LoS game, and there are hints of her personality that makes her different from her LoS counterpart.

And watch your language.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 14:34:46 15/02/2012 by Aura24
Zarisxune Red Sparx Gems: 91
#19 Posted: 14:32:10 15/02/2012
No, I didn't even play Skylanders, or even all of the LoS games so I can't judge I'm just wondering why you guys say the Skylanders version is better...I mean there has to be more of a reason than what you said so far.
---
I have been nominated.
#20 Posted: 14:37:16 15/02/2012
To me:

1. Skylanders Cynder's personality isn't rushed.
2. Her voice actress actually puts emotion in Skylanders Cynder's voice, way better than Christina Ricci in DotD.
3. She doesn't have story and appearance plotholes.
4. Her fandom isn't as rabid as her LoS counterpart.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:38:06 15/02/2012 by Aura24
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#21 Posted: 16:04:06 15/02/2012
I actually like tlos Cynder better then Skylanders..
I think she has an interesting story, and personality.
(except for DotD, but I found a way to make it sound like it all makes alot of sense.)
so thar.
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#22 Posted: 20:32:44 15/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Sure Los was a re-boot, but it began not like the classics so it had the right to blow out some chars.: he was born among a world almost dragonless, the previous chars. could have bee killed for all we know. (if only my school had a debate class, I would rock in it.)

GTG: wont be back till monday
---
#23 Posted: 22:22:04 15/02/2012
LoS was way too cliche in every possible way as far as I'm concerned and I'm glad it's done with (even though most of its fans can't let it go). LoS Cynder was interesting only if you read between the lines, otherwise she was literally nothing more than an obvious and shallow love interest and a damsel in distress.

Sky Cynder pretty much took all the neat stuff that was hidden about her in LoS and brought it out in the open. She's funny, she's smart, she's sarcastic without being a whiny brat, and her voice doesn't make me want to jam a USB drive in my ear to make it stop. She's everything DotD Cynder tried to be but failed at, with enough of what made her fun in ANB/TEN sprinkled in but not so much that she's a total emo sadsack (which was her entire personality in TEN and DotD). And those knockers! Those things are hilarious. smilie They have restored my respect for Mike Graham completely. smilie

To top it off, her Skylanders story gives just enough background that you can really make of her what you will. She's not jammed into a box and you as a fan don't just have to take whatever Activision tells you about her at face value. For a game like Skylanders, where you the player are supposed to bond personally with the toys/characters, that's fantastic and perfect.
FluffySundae Green Sparx Gems: 386
#24 Posted: 01:41:57 16/02/2012
//www.darkspyro.net/giants/images/gallery006.jpg

The remodel is even worse. XD;
SilentButDeadly Gold Sparx Gems: 2086
#25 Posted: 02:25:13 16/02/2012
^ Kinda cool. Kinda ... noticeable, too.
---
#26 Posted: 05:14:38 16/02/2012
Oh man, I adore the remodel and I will have her when she comes out. XD Dem gams! XD
Hyena Yellow Sparx Gems: 1413
#27 Posted: 05:34:37 16/02/2012
Quote: Razz
Oh man, I adore the remodel and I will have her when she comes out. XD Dem gams! XD

Funny how you call them gems. They must be really precious since in classic Spyro games; they were the highest value of gems! ;D

... I feel like this should be made into a shoddy pick-up line. OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE.
#28 Posted: 05:45:45 16/02/2012
I didn't call them gems, I called them gams, which is old American slang (like, Depression and Prohibition era) for a nice pair of breasts. smilie If I was going to ascribe some sort of value to a part of a woman's body, it wouldn't be to her boobs, I assure you. smilie
#29 Posted: 05:57:22 16/02/2012
I didn't call them gems, I called them gams, which is old American slang (like, Depression and Prohibition era) for a nice pair of breasts. :D If I was going to ascribe some sort of value to a part of a woman's body, it wouldn't be to her boobs, I assure you. :D

Whoops. Now I really question what I just typed. ROFL.
#30 Posted: 06:39:21 16/02/2012
Well, rest assured that I can never get the mental image of Sky Cynder wearing a gem-encrusted bikini top out of my head thanks to you. XD
#31 Posted: 06:46:03 16/02/2012
... Now I have that image in my head.
*screams* X'D
#32 Posted: 06:50:09 16/02/2012
I will probably draw it and just hope someone with mad Photoshop skills does an ink/color job on it for the improved lulz. smilie

It has been done! smilie

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:54:25 16/02/2012 by Razz
FluffySundae Green Sparx Gems: 386
#33 Posted: 14:15:09 16/02/2012
commented.

This is just too much... smilieDD
matesds Emerald Sparx Gems: 3504
#34 Posted: 17:46:46 16/02/2012
....what

^-- My brain frooze.
---
Keep smile
#35 Posted: 19:52:33 16/02/2012
*comments on DA and stares at picture*

What have I done!?
*gigglesnorts*
... NO REGRETS. XD The picture is cute and hilarious at the same time.
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#36 Posted: 21:34:23 16/02/2012
To be fair the more times I see that I just think it's her scale patter working like that, it honestly looks like dragon metal knight breast plates to me.

As for the backstory I rather like the idea Spyro gave Hex the power and resources into doing the coupe de grace
#37 Posted: 06:58:48 17/02/2012
I think Skylanders Cynder's tail spike is fake lol It never stays in one position when she moves her tail
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 07:10:42 17/02/2012 by Aura24
#38 Posted: 07:19:49 17/02/2012
Maybe she never had a proper tail spade and got the metal one to compensate.
matesds Emerald Sparx Gems: 3504
#39 Posted: 12:24:52 17/02/2012
I always portrayed it as can opener, honestly. It's hilarious that way.
---
Keep smile
#40 Posted: 14:22:00 20/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Oh wow. I couldn't truly imagine he looking like that in game play(the drawn pic), but the remodel, eh, it's more money on their part so why do they care.
I thank you for your thoughts, I figured i'd have more to reply.

Uh: I love how imaginative fans can be, but I have limits to these kinds of things, I would not play as Cynder if she really looked like the one drawn.(QQ:)Would you?
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#41 Posted: 14:29:50 20/02/2012
My theory:

Spyro is a much more universal character and is well known regardless of his backstory. Cynder, on the other hand, is generally unknown to people that never bothered with LoS or the fandom that involves it? Spyro is more important? His character in LoS was worse? Uh................

-----------------------------------------

**** it I give up. There's really no way to excuse how they drop one backstory while keeping the other. While I'll agree with Razz that this allows more creative freedom, as well as gets rid of most of the problems of Cynder's character in LoS, it's still odd.
#42 Posted: 17:03:35 20/02/2012
Not as odd as you'd think. LoS was a critical and financial failure. Why would they want to remind anyone of a past failure when they can just take the good parts and move forward? Now none of the kids playing Skylanders will ever know about the horrible fan pandering that happened in DotD (well, if they stay off the 'net and don't play DotD, anyway). :D
#43 Posted: 15:32:02 21/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I can't find any words to say how I feel about the (insert correct word here) of Cynder, It's like she was just there for nothing in LoS to you all. I just don't know what to say, it's just wrong in my view. I just don't.
---
#44 Posted: 15:41:18 21/02/2012
She had more personality than Spyro at first, but so does a wet paper towel, so... :D She's a cartoon dragon, dude. She's not real. I'm pretty sure she doesn't care if we do or don't like her or what she's like in a reboot (Skylanders). It's cool if you've got the hots for her (most Cynder fans do and even some people who hate her do), but if it's upsetting you this much, maybe you need to reevaluate some of your choices and interests, take a few steps back. Or, y'know, don't play Skylanders and just read the constant stream of endless LoS rehash fanfics focused on her and how much she and Spyro are soooooo in wuv and meant for each other, just like Edward and Bella. :D
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#45 Posted: 17:00:03 21/02/2012
^To me, Cynder STILL has more of a personality than Spyro did in LoS. At least while she was a mary sue, she still had some sort of substance. Spyro just kept switching around, but generally ripped off the standard protagonist that Elijah Wood often plays as (the silent new guy that thinks he can save the world).

Not as odd as you'd think. LoS was a critical and financial failure. Why would they want to remind anyone of a past failure when they can just take the good parts and move forward?

Yes, but even then, for the people that DO remember LoS, they're still bringing up the trilogy with Cynder's backstory. Even if it's the good/decent stuff, they aren't completely moving forward. What they essentially did was a throwback to LoS. Hell, they did that just by putting Cynder in there in the first place.

--------------------------------------------

Also, nobody can argue that Cynder doesn't have breasts. That redesign makes it far too obvious. It was intentional.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#46 Posted: 17:25:29 21/02/2012
Quote:
Also, nobody can argue that Cynder doesn't have breasts. That redesign makes it far too obvious. It was intentional.

I still don't think so. It only looks at all like that on the toy. In game, it looks flat to me. Which makes me think the toys are sub par. Cynder's toy is also cockeyed, but again, not in game.
And to be honest, I think we would of heard one of the developers joking about it at this stage if they were supposed to be like that.

I just had to
get that off my chest.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#47 Posted: 20:03:38 21/02/2012
An LoS fan wanting LoS Cynder's backstory to be exclusively only to LoS Cynder, and not wanting Skylanders Cynder to have a similar backstory?
---
#48 Posted: 20:23:26 21/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Again:Aura: this was meant to be more of a debate and a show of hands of who actually noticed and wondered(if it still doesn't make sense, I'm sorry). There are some interesting posts here, and I'm not saying I'm upset, I'm saying it caught my eye and wanted other's opinions on the matter.
---
#49 Posted: 22:26:40 21/02/2012
@CAV: YES! Someone finally agrees with me about Sky Cynders knockers being on purpose! XD

And, yeah. For as bad as LoS was, Cynder pretty much came out of it being the only thing most people remember, so I don't blame Activision for including her in Skylanders. But they did the right thing by scrapping most of her terrible LoS backstory. (I never would have touched LoS if not for Cynder, incidentally, and the only reason she piqued my interest was because her first voice was the lovely Cree Summer.)

@Sonicbrawler: All the screenshots of her I've seen look she's got kazongas and both models of her toys have them, so I'm pretty sure they're there. :D

@SpyroD: I'd believe you if your post before this wasn't you being upset because most of the people here either don't care or think her Skylanders story is an improvement.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#50 Posted: 22:41:11 21/02/2012
I just don't think they look enough like them to be on purpose. To each their own.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me