Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Gliding or Free Fly? [CLOSED]
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#51 Posted: 19:41:23 07/01/2012
Quote: TheFlyingSeal
I only liked Free Flight in Dawn of the Dragon because I knew how to control it (I had to play the game twice because a friend of mine accidentally deleted my account)

But I DO like gliding better. It's challenging, and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE going 'WEEEEEEEEE' when going off high ledges.

When I glide off of high ledges, my stomach gets a weird sensation.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#52 Posted: 03:41:38 08/01/2012
I would have liked the free fly in DotD if it was more like the classic free fly. No limitations, you fly fast, it doesn't feel like there is an invisible hand pushing you down and you don't have to constantly press a button to keep flying. A few limitations would be fine, but not so much that you're only flying a couple of inches above the ground.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:42:21 08/01/2012 by DarkCynder_543
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#53 Posted: 22:28:43 12/01/2012
Free fly is better. Not being able to fly is frustrating cause you have wings but can't use them.
daimondcynder21 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1218
#54 Posted: 08:38:17 13/01/2012
gliding, if you fall, you die, if you fall in water, you drown or swim
free flight sucks because if you fall, you fly, if you fall at water, you fly, the only way you can die is to be killed, the old games require skill, DotD makes you sorta lazy
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#55 Posted: 11:49:35 16/01/2012
Gliding adds more difficulty to the gameplay. Not being able to fall to your death in DotD made the game easy.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
DryLander Red Sparx Gems: 36
#56 Posted: 22:00:07 16/01/2012
I'd agree with the freedom that was in the original "Gliding" games. The flight in Dawn of the Dragon was very limited. It needed a lot of work. Invisible barriers ruined the fun of flight. Defaulting to gliding in Dawn of the Dragon made the game feel nostaglic, but not entirely fun.

I like the jumping is the 3DS Skylanders. Wish there was some jumping in the console versions of Skylanders.
---
Own [smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie]
Need [smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie]
natsuto Red Sparx Gems: 15
#57 Posted: 06:08:20 02/02/2012
I miss the days of falling off a cliff, your character, their bad luck - and now, some games are so easy to beat, because the loss of something you never have to worry about.
---
Gadgets
Nexxis Red Sparx Gems: 11
#58 Posted: 22:12:05 05/02/2012
I like the gliding for the challenge, but my overall fave is till the free-flying. Even when I played through the old games, I was wondering when Spyro would actually be able to fly around in regular stages. Gnasty's Loot was my favorite stage in the old game because of the gems and free flight. I liked it in DotD as well. though I would've liked to have a stage with unlimited free flight that used controls that allowed you to do tricks and such.
#59 Posted: 23:19:06 05/02/2012
Quote: Nexxis
I like the gliding for the challenge, but my overall fave is till the free-flying. Even when I played through the old games, I was wondering when Spyro would actually be able to fly around in regular stages. Gnasty's Loot was my favorite stage in the old game because of the gems and free flight. I liked it in DotD as well. though I would've liked to have a stage with unlimited free flight that used controls that allowed you to do tricks and such.

@ bold: That would have been great for DOTD, they could have just raised the wind currents higher so that there was more room to actually fly around in. And if they wanted you to go through a platforming area they could have come with something that disables your ability to fly in that particular area of the level, like it's something to do with a power lurking there and whenever Spyro or Cynder are near it they lose the power to fly and they can only glide.
Azrael Red Sparx Gems: 37
#60 Posted: 23:41:49 05/02/2012

This would have been pretty cool, I always wanted to do that too. It's why I became fond of the speedways. But even then, I always wanted more out of them for tricks.

Overall I enjoy the free flying in classic Spyro a lot. I've never played DotD so I can't really judge it for myself. I do think gliding offered a nice challenge and for the way the game was set up, it fit. It would have felt so cheap to just fly through all those levels.
#61 Posted: 16:50:46 06/02/2012
Quote: Azrael

This would have been pretty cool, I always wanted to do that too. It's why I became fond of the speedways. But even then, I always wanted more out of them for tricks.

Overall I enjoy the free flying in classic Spyro a lot. I've never played DotD so I can't really judge it for myself. I do think gliding offered a nice challenge and for the way the game was set up, it fit. It would have felt so cheap to just fly through all those levels.

It would make the game too easy, and defeat the purpose of a platformer.
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3163
#62 Posted: 20:33:15 06/02/2012
Gliding because the flying didn't actually let you fly everywhere per say, just low to the ground...
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#63 Posted: 20:39:06 06/02/2012
Quote: Fireball
Gliding because the flying didn't actually let you fly everywhere per say, just low to the ground...

@ bold: Which is mostly pointless right?
Whitenoise24 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3079
#64 Posted: 22:35:24 06/02/2012
both.
---
My DeviantART account. http://whitenoise24.deviantart.com
DNova89 Ripto Gems: 12
#65 Posted: 22:07:07 10/02/2012
Free flight. It's so fun to be able to go just... wherever, you know?
Evilrainbow Yellow Sparx Gems: 1030
#66 Posted: 18:57:17 11/03/2012
Neither, swimming in air forever!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:12:07 23/03/2012 by Evilrainbow
Spyroconvexity Hunter Gems: 8770
#67 Posted: 21:43:24 12/03/2012
I would say free flight! It's cool!smilie
---
SC
xSpringWeatherx Blue Sparx Gems: 866
#68 Posted: 22:28:03 12/03/2012
Eh, Gliding is a whole lot better than the free flight in DotD, I'm really not that big of a fan with how they made the free flight, and it’s not really free flying because you're attached to Spyro/Cynder, right? That restrains you...

But anyway, it's defiantly gliding for me; I also enjoy the flying levels in the original Spyro series, 1-4...
---
~Ooh, just close the door~
Pyro girl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1752
#69 Posted: 23:26:03 13/03/2012
Sorry but nothing beats gliding for me, especially that lovely, long glide to the wee island in Autumn Plains, GTG smilie And the free flight in Gnasty's Loot, I can't help doing loops and twirls all over the place before finishing the level smilie
---
Kakarot, I think I'm going to puke ~Vegeta
Live Long and Prosper ~ Mr. Spock
I'm stupid, I'm Stupid ~ Starscream
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:26:38 13/03/2012 by Pyro girl
MaleforSxC Blue Sparx Gems: 649
#70 Posted: 19:11:32 17/05/2012
I like the free flight in DotD but the gliding is way better!

Quote: Pyro girl
Sorry but nothing beats gliding for me, especially that lovely, long glide to the wee island in Autumn Plains, GTG smilie And the free flight in Gnasty's Loot, I can't help doing loops and twirls all over the place before finishing the level smilie

Totally agree!!! I do that too!! The flying in Skylanders is just dum!!!
---
Story Status - The Plan of thanatos - Chapter 19 is up --
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#71 Posted: 02:58:21 18/05/2012
Free flight, in contrast to almost everyone else. Gliding has always felt like a really restrictive gip, and all the time I'd wonder why I couldn't just fly over to an area instead of waste time with the in-betweens (aside from areas where you CAN fly, of course).

Quote: PinkWater
Free flight in old Spyro, like Gnasty's Loot. DotD lied; that's called hovering.

Gnasty's Loot's "flight" was stupid. Sure, you got full free flight by the very end of the level (where it was pointless by then), but before then you had to unlock increased height, so it was basically free flight with a ceiling...which is worse than what Dawn of the Dragon did. :/
---
Eh.
wasprocks Green Sparx Gems: 281
#72 Posted: 06:20:45 19/05/2012
Gliding is more fun. It's more challenging.
---
Original Spyro!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/user/HardRockRock12345
My Skylanders: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#73 Posted: 02:26:52 20/05/2012
I Love Gliding, it's very extreme and realistic, for me.
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
drako1998 Green Sparx Gems: 326
#74 Posted: 14:36:12 20/05/2012
Gliding, free flight made it to easy, where as gliding was sometimes challenging.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me