Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > whats with the hatred for cynder???
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
whats with the hatred for cynder??? [CLOSED]
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#51 Posted: 02:34:20 24/12/2011
Most of the people forget about her crimes because she was brainwashed and crazy from the whole experience, it's even implied Malefor was using her until the power of love just broke it (Gee like he wasn't really expecting that). I would imagine she would after DOTD work for gaining everyones trust.

Honestly someone who did dark deeds against thier will and she does regret her actions greatly is considered a better choice then someone who is all for it and goes on rampages causing even more genocide and destruction even after being defeated. And lets be honest that TLOS is so cliche that darkness just corrupts everyone like "lol"

Speaking of which there are a few frames during TEN of Cynder being corrupted and resisting in vain, They did a really bad job with backstories didn't they
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#52 Posted: 02:42:21 24/12/2011
Everyone always uses that to pretend that Cynder isn't an accomplished fighter and military leader. Her fans seem to forget that she had extensive training in combat before she was corrupted and that she remembers everything she did while under "dark influence", which leads me to think that she's not as blameless as the Guardians want her to be.

The impression I got from those frames in TEN was that being corrupted hurt like the Dickens, not that she was resisting anything. Being stretched out from a little dragon into a full-grown adult can't be pleasant.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#53 Posted: 02:43:55 24/12/2011
What frames are you guys talking about?
---
but i love it all smooth
#54 Posted: 04:10:04 24/12/2011
The thing is logic makes no sense, if she was as cold blooded as everyone thinks her to be then she had plenty of chances to slaughter everyone in a instant.Maybe after she turned into her true form again reality and morality hit her like a brick, maybe it was the kindness Spyro showed. Malefor wanted her to be a killing machine, last time I checked killing machine don't grow feelings if anything she should of been devoid of all emotions.

Combat training and being a chessmaster are all but useless in the TLOS series, Spyro just grows stronger by means of some awful way of saying "lol Super Sayain powers now everyone is weaker then me". And even if you do defeat Spyro his dark form will just preserve itself and turn you into statue turds.

It's to the point that I think some fanfiction will come around where angry hatred burning citizens kill cynder for her crimes and Spyro goes bat crazy in his darkform for the murder of a friend to the point he becomes worse then malefor (Related note Sparx died somehow early on in the fanfiction_
#55 Posted: 05:24:21 24/12/2011
Who says? Plenty of real-life sociopaths and murderers have feelings. She was most likely confused and unsure of her objectives once she was small again (and miraculously not dead like she thought she was going to be). Certainly, all of her actions after ANB spoke of someone who is confused more than anything else.

I always assumed Spyro's "dark" version was just Malefor's evil thumbprint on him, but I suppose I am putting too many good ideas into what ultimately turned out to be crap. I need to use these in something original. smilie

Someone wrote something kind of like that, or was going to. It at least dealt with the idea of Spyro being every bit as evil as Malefor, or having the potential to be. And I dealt with that in "In the Empty Valley", though Spyro didn't live long enough to become evil. smilie
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#56 Posted: 05:35:23 24/12/2011
Basically answered already.........BUT I FEEL LIKE SAYING IT AGAIN.

The fandom attitude about the character, the shipping, and the opinions of others, and the mary-sue like qualities that she has, which makes her no different than any other typical female protagonist, yet the fandom praises this detail, or tries to excuse it. Plus, the larger focus on her looks in DotD, and to a shorter extent, Skylanders, served as a major turn off for a lot of people, especially once the fanart and fanfics came in.

So generally, it always points back to the fandom. If it wasn't for them, the character would've been long forgotten.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:36:30 24/12/2011 by CAV
#57 Posted: 06:30:19 24/12/2011
Or cherished fondly by more people. I never forgot Elora for the many years I didn't play Spyro, and she was part of what got me into the fandom to begin with. The years apart just made me like her more as a character. It could have been the same for Cynder if not for DotD, I think.
#58 Posted: 12:41:18 24/12/2011
Well least she did a good cause at the end, I am a Krome Cynder fan, ES DOTD creature from hell can die in a fire....I mean lots of fire.

And just for the record Skylanders Cynder seems to like looking like a freaking Velociraptor ready to pounce and kill something, then again Spyro looks like a pug type look and Sparx has gone insane from the looks of it.

BRB going to write a Messed up insane Skylanders fanfiction
C1nder Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10286
#59 Posted: 22:02:06 24/12/2011
Quote: Skorpion216
Quote: Razz
Do it! Dooo eeet! If we can get up to 100+ members, I'm planning on doing a contest (so far, it looks like everyone likes the Sparx x Cynder idea the most smilie). Also, more Spyro/Flame and derpy Cynder art is never unwanted. smilie

I'm definitely going to join.

Quote: sonicbrawler182
New topic title:

"whats with the hatred for C1nderp???"

Fixed.

C1nderp...really?
#60 Posted: 09:09:01 25/12/2011
Yeah, I'm still fond of Krome Cynder. It's just DotD Cynder that's vile. And I actually really like Skylanders Cynder, especially since her official story says nothing about Spyro saving her from Malefor (at least not in the official strategy guide). I like to think she and Hex helped each other out of that mess. smilie

Don't take it personally, C1nder. I think Skorpion's making fun of Cynder(p), not you.
spyrathedragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#61 Posted: 16:36:30 27/12/2011
In my world, Cynder is a depressing, not emo, but *****y character who hates Spyro because he's "so damn annoying". But, she'd still help Spyro out.

And in my world, Spyro has the voice of the Spyro 1 version, is classic Spyro, and can be very annoying but adorable. He's also kinda stupid... a teeny bit wimpy, depending on the situation.

So... in my world... Spyro and Cynder are sort-of a couple. It's a love-hate kinda thing. I think my Cynder is how Cynder should've really been.

BUUUT THAT'S JUST ME.
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#62 Posted: 05:25:16 28/12/2011
I have a hunch Skyro did help a little but not anything really special.
VespiDragon8 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6766
#63 Posted: 17:30:59 28/12/2011
This is my opinion, not that it's the truth:
Cynder The Dragoness is a character who has problems with his past, he did not have forgiveness, or as they say, "You can never escape his past," then my answer is this: this sore for his past and why some people take a personality like:
Lonely, angry, do not want to almost anyone, because they feel they do not belong in a specific place with someone, or because the answer to your problems is to face his past.
Purple n Spyro Ripto Gems: 1096
#64 Posted: 17:58:24 28/12/2011
I think Spyro doesn't need love AT ALL.

Spyro just would seem... better without love, espesily (sorry for spelling (): ) with Cynder.

Love would just get in his way...

IMO
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#65 Posted: 18:18:04 28/12/2011
^ I agree.
I personally don't think Spyro should be in a romance either. His games seem much better without it.
---
but i love it all smooth
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#66 Posted: 18:19:22 28/12/2011
But gais....

...we.....we need to spread the wuv..... smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#67 Posted: 18:42:31 28/12/2011
But gais....

...we.....we need to spread the wuv..... smilie

....well too bad!

smilie!
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#68 Posted: 19:30:37 28/12/2011
Quote: Purple n Spyro
I think Spyro doesn't need love AT ALL.

Spyro just would seem... better without love, espesily (sorry for spelling (): ) with Cynder.

Love would just get in his way...

IMO

Also agreeing with this.

I don't mind a character having a crush on him, as long as he's made oblivious to it.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#69 Posted: 19:32:46 28/12/2011
Wow lots of people are agreeing with me... smilie!

I don't mind if someone likes Spyro either, like Ember and Spyro. Ember liked Spyro, but Spyro didn't like her in that way.
#70 Posted: 19:32:53 28/12/2011
Spyro can't have a girlfriend cuz he's a 90's kid.
---
#71 Posted: 23:03:11 28/12/2011
I don't mind Spyro having a potential future love life (as in: sometime after he's gone through puberty). As much as I champion Spyro/Elora, I still don't see them as a couple until he grew into being bipedal and acquired those awesome sideburns. smilie And Spyro/Cynder stopped being acceptable in any way for me the moment it was made questionably canon that they might be a couple when they're twelve. D: (No, I don't buy the "they aged in the time crystal" crap. DotD makes it blatantly clear that they are not physically older and the only reason they look so is due to a stylistic change.)
#72 Posted: 00:13:01 30/12/2011
Spyro can't have a girlfriend cuz he's a 90's kid.

He's 14 I think in human-years right now. IMO, he's old enough for "puppy love".

I don't mind Spyro having a potential future love life (as in: sometime after he's gone through puberty). As much as I champion Spyro/Elora, I still don't see them as a couple until he grew into being bipedal and acquired those awesome sideburns. smilie And Spyro/Cynder stopped being acceptable in any way for me the moment it was made questionably canon that they might be a couple when they're twelve. D: (No, I don't buy the "they aged in the time crystal" crap. DotD makes it blatantly clear that they are not physically older and the only reason they look so is due to a stylistic change.)

I hated the "aged in crystal" ****. It bugged the living hell out of me.

1. You can't grow if you're FROZEN IN A SOLID CRYSTAL.
2. You're FROZEN. IN. TIME.

I: Damnit, Activision. I hate you for TLoS, but I love you for Skylanders. ;___________;
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#73 Posted: 00:43:32 30/12/2011
^90's KIDS ARE TOO COOL FOR ROMANCE.
*just so I don't end up offending anyone, I'm referring to game characters*
---
Skorpion216 Ripto Gems: 340
#74 Posted: 01:27:56 30/12/2011
^90's KIDS ARE TOO COOL FOR ROMANCE.
*just so I don't end up offending anyone, I'm referring to game characters*

OH YOU SONOFA-- oh you said game characters.

MY BAD.
#75 Posted: 03:53:03 30/12/2011
Bit Sonic met (eugh) Amy in the 90s (and kissed Sally), Mario and Peach were a thing, Link had Malon and/or Zelda, Crash Bandicoot had his girlfriend (I don't know her name), Spyro had fairies and Elora (sort of)... I see some holes in your logic on this one, SB. smilie The only characters I remember who didn't have any love interests were Duke Nukem (too much of a jerk) and Lara Croft (too busy shooting dudes in the face, though it could be argued that her true love is archaeology smilie).
#76 Posted: 07:07:59 30/12/2011
Amy as Far as I recall was in the Sonic CD, she was a minor character until Archie comics decided to add some character in to thier roster, after the comic's fanbase got large enough Sega added Amy in Adventures.

Sally was intended to be a love interest but there is a slight problem. Game and Comic canon do not mix, word of god stated that what happens in the comics stays in the comics.

What I find really creepy is that Amy is such great friends with mindless robots that....I am not going to go into that.
#77 Posted: 13:47:27 30/12/2011
Bit Sonic met (eugh) Amy in the 90s (and kissed Sally), Mario and Peach were a thing, Link had Malon and/or Zelda, Crash Bandicoot had his girlfriend (I don't know her name), Spyro had fairies and Elora (sort of)... I see some holes in your logic on this one, SB. smilie The only characters I remember who didn't have any love interests were Duke Nukem (too much of a jerk) and Lara Croft (too busy shooting dudes in the face, though it could be argued that her true love is archaeology smilie).

-Sonic met Amy, but there was no actual romance, and never has been within the games (at least involving Sonic). She's basically just a fangirl to him. It's been made clear that Sonic sees her as just a friend. So, in the games, Sonic stayed single.

-Mario and Zelda franchises began in the 80's. They are 80's kids, not 90's kids. Actually, they aren't even kids, they're adults.

-At what point do we see Crash and his "girlfriend" show any tender/intimate feelings towards each other? As far as I'm concerned, she's no girlfriend - just some random hooker. This theory is further backed up in Crash Twinsanity, in the snowboarding section, when you pass through that strip club and the bandicoot girl on the sign looks just like the bandicoot girl Crash chilled with in the early games.

-Spyro had an INTEREST, but never got past that stage. He realised he was too cool for romance. Obviously, I'm only speaking of Classic Spyro, as LoS Spyro is not from the 90's.
---
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#78 Posted: 16:06:37 30/12/2011
Cynder's got a pretty high body count if you really stop to think about it.

ANB
Oversees an army of thousands which was strong enough to overtake everything in the area. Implied to have captured, enslaved, and murdered people from the dragonflies, Atlawa, Manweersmall, and dragon races. Willingly puts her ape servants in positions that will get them killed (Concurrent Skies is just one giant death trap). Tries to kill Sparx outright once, nearly kills Spyro herself no less than three times.

TEN
It is implied that she betrayed the dragons at the Temple since the apes don't attack until after she leaves. Her presence on the pirate ship gets the entire fleet containing hundreds of pirates and who knows how many prisoners of other species killed. It is revealed that she will defect back to the side of evil if left to her own devices and, were she stronger (and not being forced into the "damsel in distress" role), she probably would have killed Gaul herself.

DotD
Not only is she responsible for the deaths of many species listed above, we find out she reduced the cheetah tribe to living in squalor and apparently killed all their women. The moles in Warfang and everyone who encounters her considers her a threat. And when push comes to shove, the idea she comes up with to stop the Destroyer was guaranteed to drown many people. Since we don't see the dragonflies again, it can also be assumed that her attack on the swamps in ANB began their decline. She also tries to kill Spyro with her bare claws in the end and only gives up because Spyro starts crying (some hero).

Honestly, if more of her fans remembered that Cynder is a killing machine trained from birth and can (and did) mop the floor with Spyro, I'd like her a lot more. If you can get past her constantly being shoe-horned into the "damsel in distress Mary Sue" corners she's constantly written into, she is an interesting character. Unfortunately most people, including her writers, only acknowledge that she's a girl with a dark past and don't delve any deeper than that.

When does Spyro start crying? I dont remember seeing any tears or hearing any sobbing at all.
(Sarcasm)

Cynder is a cool character, but its the fanbase thats a piece of crap.
Perverts, trolls....yeah, you get it.
I actually think Cynder is cool. (in TLOS) So yes, I just said I'm a cynder fan. SO THAR. (translation: Nothing you can do 'bout it. *Trollface)
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#79 Posted: 16:14:33 30/12/2011
He probably didn't shed any tears only because dragons don't have tear ducts. smilie I wanted to kick his wussy little face during that scene.

Honestly, I don't mind the perverts so long as they keep the details to themselves. I've met some cool pervy Cynder fans. It's the ones that don't grok the concept of acceptable conversations that creeped me out, along with the bunch who thought screaming at an artist would get them to draw more free smut.

Uh, no one really cares if you are or aren't a Cynder fan. Strutting about it doesn't make you cool, though.
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#80 Posted: 16:16:35 30/12/2011
I dont care about "Being cool" thank you very much.
I'm just saying, that I think Cynder is cool, nothing more..
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#81 Posted: 22:23:58 30/12/2011
I think Cynder is a boring drag, the only time she was interesting to me was when she was possessed by the Goon in A New Beginning. Yes I have probably repeated myself some other time before but I felt like I needed to put it here again. There's no rule that says you can't is there?
#82 Posted: 04:07:01 31/12/2011
Personally, I hate DotD Cynder, but I love the APPEARANCE of ANB and TEN Cynder. I just made a different personality for her. It fits her anyhow, IMO.

To be honest, I can't wait for her Skylanders figure. I:
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
#83 Posted: 04:07:11 31/12/2011
Yeah, I'm with SSF. It's not Cynder being boring that makes one dislike her. Up through TEN, she was pretty interesting (especially in ANsmilie and I still like that version of her.
CynderFan1309 Gold Sparx Gems: 2235
#84 Posted: 04:10:40 31/12/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Yes I have probably repeated myself some other time before but I felt like I needed to put it here again. There's no rule that says you can't is there?

I agree with this.
I wish a few certain people understood that.
#85 Posted: 04:38:20 31/12/2011
Her ANB version is totally the best, though I have a fondness for her TEN version, not because of the way she was in-game but because of the implication that that little ball of cute was a trained murder machine. smilie And I like Skylanders Cynder; her design is fun and her backstory (at least in the guide book) doesn't involve Spyro at all, which is quite refreshing.
Skorpion216 Ripto Gems: 340
#86 Posted: 05:25:44 31/12/2011
Her ANB version is totally the best, though I have a fondness for her TEN version, not because of the way she was in-game but because of the implication that that little ball of cute was a trained murder machine. smilie And I like Skylanders Cynder; her design is fun and her backstory (at least in the guide book) doesn't involve Spyro at all, which is quite refreshing.

THIS THIS THIS SO MUCH.
#87 Posted: 07:03:45 31/12/2011
Ten version did not help with Whiteman voicing her to the point I thought she was going to say "Spyro use your waterbending I mean elements"
#88 Posted: 12:52:17 31/12/2011
I think this topic is a Loop De Force.
---
#89 Posted: 13:56:52 31/12/2011
I didn't mind Mae Whitman's voice for Cynder in TEN, but it wasn't nearly as fitting as Cree Summer's. Christina Ricci's horrible voice acting is the biggest reason why I couldn't play DotD more than once (whereas I've played both ANB and TEN so many times I've lost count).
#90 Posted: 14:07:19 31/12/2011
I just don't know how Cree Summer would pull off a good Child Cynder voice without her using her trademark default Number 5/Lucy/etc voice she does for those characters.

But when I read a good fanfiction I always use the best VA as the Characters voice, Amazing that I read a DOTD awhile ago and instead of Richi I imagined it as Summer.

Spyro is a odd case because I hear Elijah doing better Voice work on other characters, him as the creepy guy in Sin city made me think of having a dark Spyro fic as that voice tone.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:09:47 31/12/2011 by Jackson117
#91 Posted: 14:29:13 31/12/2011
We heard her voice young Cynder at the end of ANB and I thought it fit her pretty well.

That must've been one heck of a good DotD fic. smilie

Elijah Wood is capable of doing good voice work, he just needs a good director to bring out the best in him. It's very clear that most of his takes for LoS were all first takes and nobody gave him any direction for how to read those lines. I liked him in "9", though.
PinkWater Yellow Sparx Gems: 1059
#92 Posted: 22:52:49 31/12/2011
I didn't mind Mae Whitman's voice for Cynder in TEN, but it wasn't nearly as fitting as Cree Summer's. Christina Ricci's horrible voice acting is the biggest reason why I couldn't play DotD more than once (whereas I've played both ANB and TEN so many times I've lost count).

THANK YOU. DotD Cynder's acting sounded like some lady pulled off the street, handed a script, and told to read it, or she'd be shot. That's a shame, too, cuz I had real big hopes for DotD, despite thoroughly disliking the whole series.
---
CILAN IS THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE.

I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG! ...Actually don't. I'm quite biased.
#93 Posted: 00:12:53 01/01/2012
Didn't we all? D: I thought DotD was going to be at least entertainingly bad like the rest of LoS. It's hard to take low expectations and plummet so far beneath them that you hit the inner circle of Hell, but DotD managed it. smilie
#94 Posted: 11:58:14 01/01/2012
Didn't we all? D: I thought DotD was going to be at least entertainingly bad like the rest of LoS. It's hard to take low expectations and plummet so far beneath them that you hit the inner circle of Hell, but DotD managed it. smilie

I am going to ask a silly question now, which one would you rather play? ETD or DOTD? Which of the devils shall it be?
#95 Posted: 13:17:13 01/01/2012
I would rather play a Video game about Cyril and Voltie ranting with each other, damn deleted scenes
#96 Posted: 15:50:05 01/01/2012
Neither, honestly, but I guess it would depend on the day. EtD at least has an excuse for its badness (it was still in beta when it was pushed out the door). There's nothing fun about playing EtD, but I have some fond memories of it nonetheless. Conversely, DotD is sometimes (rarely) enjoyable in terms of its gameplay, but the experience on the whole is depressing and I have no fond memories of it (it also gave me a wicked headache whiling playing).
#97 Posted: 18:25:06 01/01/2012
Neither, honestly, but I guess it would depend on the day. EtD at least has an excuse for its badness (it was still in beta when it was pushed out the door). There's nothing fun about playing EtD, but I have some fond memories of it nonetheless. Conversely, DotD is sometimes (rarely) enjoyable in terms of its gameplay, but the experience on the whole is depressing and I have no fond memories of it (it also gave me a wicked headache whiling playing).

I'd personally would rather play ETD, for the one main reason that I can actually complete it without the need of using a cheat.
#98 Posted: 18:27:22 01/01/2012
I've never played LoS for the gameplay and the minute I discovered cheats for those games, I used 'em (including playing all of DotD with cheats on; having to reenter the code for every level was really stupid).
#99 Posted: 18:33:24 01/01/2012
I've never played LoS for the gameplay and the minute I discovered cheats for those games, I used 'em (including playing all of DotD with cheats on; having to reenter the code for every level was really stupid).

Oh yeah tell me about it. With Classic Spyro when you use the 99 Lives code it stayed on in every level, in DOTD you could turn it off but what is the point of that when it turns off anyway in the next level, perhaps the developer was rushed to put in a simple line for the game to remember that the code should always be on.
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me