Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > whats with the hatred for cynder???
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
whats with the hatred for cynder??? [CLOSED]
GagasSpyro Blue Sparx Gems: 681
#1 Posted: 08:40:33 22/12/2011 | Topic Creator
look i know the LOS games cant hold a candle to the first three, but i didn't think they were all THAT bad i mean they sure beat the **** out of "enter the dragonfly", but i do at at least understand why some of u guys "cant stand it" but what the hell is wrong with cynder i mean im not saying shes a greaattt character but i definetly dont think she's the worst in the franchise. Like she was a pretty good villian in "new begining" and while her character was pretty bland and under developed throughout the trilogy she was at least and okay boss fight and a pretty cool character to play as in DOTD i mean come on you get use powers like spitting poison at people and breating darkness at your enemies so while as i dont think she's EPIC but i dont find her terrible either sooooo
why is she so terrible????
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#2 Posted: 09:28:38 22/12/2011
Because her fans are nuts and make everyone consider her trash, alone she was poorly written character but as a idea could of been more, I'll stick with Dark Cynder and Krome Little Cynder over DOTD's anyday.

And she sometimes overshadow's Spyro himself which in a fanbase about a title character isn't good, ever see the Sonic and Shadow fans rage over each other?
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#3 Posted: 09:36:39 22/12/2011
You kind of answered your own question there, but I'll add in that she overshadowed everything else so much that I still don't know why they even bothered having Spyro's name in any of the titles. I thought she was fun in ANB and TEN, but she was wretchedly out of character and annoying to boot in DotD.

But the biggest reason people hate Cynder is her fans. I don't know what it is about her, but she has the most obnoxious set of fans since the entire Sonic fandom. After you've put up with any one of them for long enough, you can't disassociate her from her stupid fans. Heck, her own creators make fun of her now (why else would Skylanders Cynder have big boobs? smilie). And if you bring up "It's not the character's fault her fans are dumb", you'll pretty much just be making my point for me.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's been my experience. Dark Cynder from ANB is cool and fat little Cynder from TEN is cute, but I rather wish DotD Mary Cynder had died in that fire instead of Ignitus.
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12920
#4 Posted: 11:24:48 22/12/2011
I think it's because the Cynder fans see her as a love interest for Spyro and some classic fans prefer Spyro to have Elora, Ember or any other character as his love interest, while others prefer Spyro to be a lone wolf and doesn't need a love interest.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#5 Posted: 11:28:58 22/12/2011
I don't have a problem with Cynder in general. It's her teenage self in DotD that I can't stand. She's awesome in ANB. She was a great villain and made a better villain than Malefor. I wish she stayed evil. She was okay in TEN. I didn't like how she played the role of a damsel in distress. However, I did love her in that little TEN clip. I wish she had that same attitude from the clip and played the role of an anti-hero.

I hate DotD Cynder. She suddenly gets this annoying personality change. She went from kind and guilty to sassy and sarcastic. She was a mary-sue and constantly snapped at everyone for no reason. She also stole Sparx's spotlight and replaced him halfway through the game. This is coming from a person who usualy likes the characters that are sarcastic, sassy, grumpy, cheeky and mischievous, impatient, etc (they're great characters when they're not mary-sues).

And don't get me started on the fanbase.

I don't know about Skylanders Cynder. But so far, I loved her in ANB and that short TEN clip.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#6 Posted: 17:10:52 22/12/2011
Another "Y DOSE EVRY1 HATE CYNDER?" topic?
You act as if she doesn't have a TON of fans who mostly over exaggerate her.
She has so many more fans than haters.

Being a Cynder hater myself, let me give a few reasons based on games.

ANB- She was a great villain. I liked her better than Malefor. I don't hate her in ANB, and I don't hate her young form in ANB either.
TEN- She was okay. She wasn't the best, but she still had a decent personality. Besides, we didn't see much of her here.
DotD- This is why I hate her. She's a sassy, sarcastic, and rude brat in this game. She's a Mary-Sue. She replaced Sparx for the end of the game. She snapped at everyone for no reason. She needed a better personality. She pretty much overshadows Spyro.

And to top it all off, the fanbase. She's way too overrated and over exaggerated by her fans. I don't get what made her so likeable.
And her fanbase is insane. I really appreciate the sane fans, but the insane ones are just horrible.
---
but i love it all smooth
Hyena Yellow Sparx Gems: 1413
#7 Posted: 17:55:40 22/12/2011
Quote: GagasSpyro
look i know the LOS games cant hold a candle to the first three, but i didn't think they were all THAT bad i mean they sure beat the **** out of "enter the dragonfly", but i do at at least understand why some of u guys "cant stand it" but what the hell is wrong with cynder i mean im not saying shes a greaattt character but i definetly dont think she's the worst in the franchise. Like she was a pretty good villian in "new begining" and while her character was pretty bland and under developed throughout the trilogy she was at least and okay boss fight and a pretty cool character to play as in DOTD i mean come on you get use powers like spitting poison at people and breating darkness at your enemies so while as i dont think she's EPIC but i dont find her terrible either sooooo
why is she so terrible????

O LOL.
I like how you point out the flaws and still ask.

I seriously don't see the point in all the Cynder bashing myself. I admit I enjoy people making up funny stuff about her. But that's about it.

I'm actually neutral about Cynder now. But at the same time I don't really care about her. Especially when people people try standing up for fictional character.

We have opinions and can like or dislike anyone in video games, you know.
#8 Posted: 17:56:56 22/12/2011
The worse the fans are, the worse the haters will be.
---
but i love it all smooth
#9 Posted: 18:03:16 22/12/2011
Quote: LevanJess
The worse the fans are, the worse the haters will be.

LJ SPEAKS TRUTH.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#10 Posted: 18:14:23 22/12/2011
She's hated for the same reason as any other character is - differing tastes.

Seriously, there is no reason for detail on a subject like this. Even though I like Cynder (even in DotD - I thought she brought some nice humour there), I hate how this question is asked constantly (and the "why do people love her?" version). The answer is simple:

HATERS GONNA HATE.
FANS GONNA SQUEAL.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4192
#11 Posted: 18:20:38 22/12/2011
It is a matter of personal taste.

For example, if I put on some disco music, some people will making gagging and retching sounds, while others say "Yeah! Boogie down!"
(I do enjoy some disco music myself.)

I like Cynder, in all her versions, evil, little and DotD.

I also like Elora and even Ember.

Seriously I can't get up any hatred for any character, I mean, they are *FICTIONAL* beings.

Now ask me about "Twilight" and you'll get a string of nasty words. smilie
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
wanderist Platinum Sparx Gems: 7090
#12 Posted: 18:45:43 22/12/2011
I liked Cynder, though she was pretty out of character in DOTD. But yeah, some people just don't like her. It's the same with Ember and probably other characters. It's no big deal. If you like her, then that's fine. If you hate her, that's also fine.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#13 Posted: 19:50:39 22/12/2011
I prefered Cynder when she was evil, and if she turned her back on Spyro at the end of DOTD then that would make sense as to why she was snappy and sarcastic in the first place.
C1nder Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10286
#14 Posted: 19:59:44 22/12/2011
Evil Cynder was awesome, but I don't see her and Spyro as a couple. SPYRO BELONGS WITH ME.
#15 Posted: 20:35:48 22/12/2011
*looks at your icon* Yeah, Skyro x LoSpyro sounds about right. smilie You could call the ship Skylo. smilie

Before her stupid fans and the end of DotD ruined it, I thought SxC was a cute idea for their distant future (like, you know, after they finished puberty). Now it's just creepy and the only SxC I'm interested in is Sparx x Cynder. smilie
lemmingluv Ripto Gems: 907
#16 Posted: 21:17:41 22/12/2011
i don't hate cynder *le shrug* it just gets me bent out of shape when someone calles me stupid or something else for liking the pairing of her and spyro.

as i've said on deviantart before, i'm a fan of ALL pairings. (except nero x cynder, because that story makes spyro into a creepy rapist)
Skorpion216 Ripto Gems: 340
#17 Posted: 15:57:12 23/12/2011
It's not that people hate Cynder, it's that they hate her fanbase.... I gotz no problem with the character, although the fanbase is just..... obsessive.
#18 Posted: 15:59:27 23/12/2011
I have problems with the character and her fanbase.
Her fanbase is pretty terrible.
---
but i love it all smooth
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#19 Posted: 17:33:40 23/12/2011
Quote: DarkCynder_543
I don't have a problem with Cynder in general. It's her teenage self in DotD that I can't stand. She's awesome in ANB. She was a great villain and made a better villain than Malefor. I wish she stayed evil. She was okay in TEN. I didn't like how she played the role of a damsel in distress. However, I did love her in that little TEN clip. I wish she had that same attitude from the clip and played the role of an anti-hero.

I hate DotD Cynder. She suddenly gets this annoying personality change. She went from kind and guilty to sassy and sarcastic. She was a mary-sue and constantly snapped at everyone for no reason. She also stole Sparx's spotlight and replaced him halfway through the game. This is coming from a person who usualy likes the characters that are sarcastic, sassy, grumpy, cheeky and mischievous, impatient, etc (they're great characters when they're not mary-sues).

And don't get me started on the fanbase.

I don't know about Skylanders Cynder. But so far, I loved her in ANB and that short TEN clip.

She pretty much pre-dates Nightmare Moon from Friendship is Magic (another great villain) and people still like her true form as Luna.

Cynder is a Mary Sue, that's fine but Ember was an Amy Rose-clone. Why the dragons who have the hots for Spyro are always crazy? Elora was the only decent romance because she was likeable yet she is a faun.

Cynder sounds like something from fan fiction which inspired sub-fan fictions which makes Legend of Spyro a lot like Sonic Adventure (less-than-satisfactory gameplay, ridiculous character designs and storylines, and out-of-control fandoms that are little like the people who love talking about the older games they grew up with)
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#20 Posted: 18:18:53 23/12/2011
......What's wrong with the character designs in Sonic Adventure? There is nothing ridiculous about them. They didn't even change it too much from the Classics.

As for the storyline, there's nothing wrong with it. It's not too complicated, and it fits a Sonic game. The writing and voice acting was crappy, but the actual plot was really nice. And the gameplay is varied with six characters with different gameplay. Nobody will like all the different types equally, but I'm sure people will find one character they like to play as.

Also, I don't see how Sonic Adventure needs to be brought up in a LoS conversation.
---
#21 Posted: 18:39:49 23/12/2011
Read the last line of my last post, please.
---
JadeSky34 Red Sparx Gems: 36
#22 Posted: 18:49:39 23/12/2011
the ***** tried to kill me!
#23 Posted: 19:20:05 23/12/2011
She tried to strangle me with the chain in DotD. ;___;

IT WASN'T FUNNY. >n<
---
#24 Posted: 19:29:42 23/12/2011
Quote: sonicbrawler182
She tried to strangle me with the chain in DotD. ;___;

IT WASN'T FUNNY. >n<

MURDEROUS WENCH.
#25 Posted: 19:53:56 23/12/2011
Cynder's got a pretty high body count if you really stop to think about it.

ANB
Oversees an army of thousands which was strong enough to overtake everything in the area. Implied to have captured, enslaved, and murdered people from the dragonflies, Atlawa, Manweersmall, and dragon races. Willingly puts her ape servants in positions that will get them killed (Concurrent Skies is just one giant death trap). Tries to kill Sparx outright once, nearly kills Spyro herself no less than three times.

TEN
It is implied that she betrayed the dragons at the Temple since the apes don't attack until after she leaves. Her presence on the pirate ship gets the entire fleet containing hundreds of pirates and who knows how many prisoners of other species killed. It is revealed that she will defect back to the side of evil if left to her own devices and, were she stronger (and not being forced into the "damsel in distress" role), she probably would have killed Gaul herself.

DotD
Not only is she responsible for the deaths of many species listed above, we find out she reduced the cheetah tribe to living in squalor and apparently killed all their women. The moles in Warfang and everyone who encounters her considers her a threat. And when push comes to shove, the idea she comes up with to stop the Destroyer was guaranteed to drown many people. Since we don't see the dragonflies again, it can also be assumed that her attack on the swamps in ANB began their decline. She also tries to kill Spyro with her bare claws in the end and only gives up because Spyro starts crying (some hero).

Honestly, if more of her fans remembered that Cynder is a killing machine trained from birth and can (and did) mop the floor with Spyro, I'd like her a lot more. If you can get past her constantly being shoe-horned into the "damsel in distress Mary Sue" corners she's constantly written into, she is an interesting character. Unfortunately most people, including her writers, only acknowledge that she's a girl with a dark past and don't delve any deeper than that.
#26 Posted: 20:03:18 23/12/2011
I always noticed that.

And frankly, it's strange that most people don't realize this. But the writers do remember it to an extent. Sparx, Malefor and The Hermit lampshade on it in DotD.
---
#27 Posted: 20:37:33 23/12/2011
I think most people don't notice it because you actually have to read between the lines to see it and, alas, most of the LoS fans I know need things spelled out in big bold letters for them. Heck, it sure looks like the writers needed it, too. I'm still impressed at how much they slaughtered her character in DotD when there was so little there to begin with.
#28 Posted: 21:24:19 23/12/2011
....Wait....you do?

It was pretty apparant to me that she was a mass murderer. :I
---
#29 Posted: 21:34:05 23/12/2011
You're one of the few, then. It was pretty clear to me, too, but if you try to tell most of her fans that, they'll throw a hissy fit. It's one of those things that gets ignored in fandom in favor of making increasingly less plausible reasons for Spyro to save her so they can make out afterward.
#30 Posted: 21:46:04 23/12/2011
I honestly don't get the point in fans saying they like a pairing if all they care about is the two characters shiftin'. Then again, I say the same about real relationships. smilie

But I'm fine with seeing stories that focus on her redemption (or part of one - she could never redeem herself fully), and Spyro's anxieties about her. That's why in that one-shot fic I wrote, they fight each other kind of immaturely! smilie
---
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#31 Posted: 22:03:59 23/12/2011
Quote: C1nder
SPYRO BELONGS WITH ME.

I hate this type of fan, Sonic or Spyro.
#32 Posted: 22:10:56 23/12/2011
There's only been one SxC-type fic I ever liked and it mainly dealt with the possibility that the relationship wouldn't work. Cynder was competent, witty, and a bit vicious toward her rival and Spyro actually seemed like he had a say in his love life and showed interest in the other dragon. Of course, it did end predictably with them hooking up, but it was more believable than most of what I've read in this fandom. Alas, every single thing the author has written ever since has degraded Cynder more and more to the point that she is literally just there for Spyro to rescue (when she and he even show up at all; the original cast and the stories' plots are hugely overshadowed by a massive cast of one-note OCs who can't even stay dead).
#33 Posted: 22:16:57 23/12/2011
Quote: arceustheprime
SPYRO BELONGS WITH ME.

It doesn't matter!
Everyone knows Spyro belongs with me 'cause i'm cool and totally sexy!
I'm a purple dragon just like him and have awesome powers that can defeat any enemy!
I can even defeat you with my marvelous rainbow powers if you disagree!

(But on a serious note: I also hate fans like that. :C )
#34 Posted: 22:19:03 23/12/2011
Heh, why do you think I named the snarky Spyro fan group Cynder's Not Real?
#35 Posted: 22:21:16 23/12/2011
Must resist urge to join group and draw some SpyroxFlame and derpy drawings of Cynder.

<_<;;
>_>;;
#36 Posted: 22:24:13 23/12/2011
Do it! Dooo eeet! If we can get up to 100+ members, I'm planning on doing a contest (so far, it looks like everyone likes the Sparx x Cynder idea the most smilie). Also, more Spyro/Flame and derpy Cynder art is never unwanted. smilie
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4192
#37 Posted: 22:26:09 23/12/2011
Quote: Razz
There's only been one SxC-type fic I ever liked and it mainly dealt with the possibility that the relationship wouldn't work. Cynder was competent, witty, and a bit vicious toward her rival and Spyro actually seemed like he had a say in his love life and showed interest in the other dragon. Of course, it did end predictably with them hooking up, but it was more believable than most of what I've read in this fandom. Alas, every single thing the author has written ever since has degraded Cynder more and more to the point that she is literally just there for Spyro to rescue (when she and he even show up at all; the original cast and the stories' plots are hugely overshadowed by a massive cast of one-note OCs who can't even stay dead).

There was one comic drawn by Shalonesk (sp?) where Spyro and Cynder return to the dragon realms, and Ember and Flame are there.
It's pretty funny.
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#38 Posted: 22:30:40 23/12/2011
I am pretty sure this has been said, But Cynder is a Mary-Sue. Meaning she has no flaw. (Why do I like her? Because I can. :V)
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#39 Posted: 22:43:43 23/12/2011
I think she has plenty of flaws.
---
C1nder Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10286
#40 Posted: 22:50:00 23/12/2011
Quote: arceustheprime
SPYRO BELONGS WITH ME.

Good God, could you really not tell I was joking? smilie
#41 Posted: 23:23:59 23/12/2011
New topic title:

"whats with the hatred for C1nder???"
---
#42 Posted: 23:38:24 23/12/2011
A Mary Sue is still a Mary Sue even if she does have some flaws. Admittedly, Spyro is much more of a Sue than Cynder, but she still fits the bill (only non-purple dragon to have more than one power, everybody forgives her immediately for her crimes for no real reason, supposedly gets the man she wants, is considered sexy by everyone including characters who have no logical reason to be attracted to her, etc., etc.).
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#43 Posted: 00:18:50 24/12/2011
I never realized how the Legend of Spyro series really likes to talk about death. This ain't Hellsing or Elfen Lied, it's Spyro! If I did played those games, maybe I wouldn't have initially hated Skylanders as much as I did back.

The only reason why I compare LoS to Sonic Adventure-onward is mainly on the fandoms with Rule 34 and mary sues that essentially colour-pallet changes of Spyro and Cynder.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#44 Posted: 00:26:34 24/12/2011
There's nothing wrong with talking about death in the Spyro franchise or anywhere else. Kids get it and it's not something that will harm them. What's horrible about LoS is its depiction of a "hero" as someone who obeys authority without question, never thinks for himself, can only be a hero because he was born special, and only saves the day by sheer dumb luck. That's one of the biggest problems I have will LoS as a whole.
#45 Posted: 00:26:40 24/12/2011
That would of happened to the Sonic fandom regardless of what direction the franchise took in 1998.
IT'S INEVITABLE.

And the Insomniac games discussed death in more gruesome detail than LoS did, so I don't see the problem there.
---
#46 Posted: 00:33:40 24/12/2011
Oh yeah, I forgot about the huge number of on-screen homicides (accidental and planned) in Ripto's Rage. Those freaked me out so much when I was younger. smilie
Skorpion216 Ripto Gems: 340
#47 Posted: 00:47:25 24/12/2011
Quote: Razz
Do it! Dooo eeet! If we can get up to 100+ members, I'm planning on doing a contest (so far, it looks like everyone likes the Sparx x Cynder idea the most smilie). Also, more Spyro/Flame and derpy Cynder art is never unwanted. smilie

I'm definitely going to join.

Quote: sonicbrawler182
New topic title:

"whats with the hatred for C1nderp???"

Fixed.
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me