Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
Remaking of LoS [CLOSED]
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#51 Posted: 21:17:34 10/11/2011
DotD = favorite spyro game
SSA = second place (from video walkthroughs)
ANB = third
TEN = fourth
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#52 Posted: 23:24:42 10/11/2011
Wasn't SpyroXElora also kinda forced or out of the blue?
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#53 Posted: 23:30:34 10/11/2011
Cynder = Stays corrupted, she looks better like that
Spyro = VA with emotion, add a personality
Sparx = Give him a use other than to annoy us
Ignitius = Make him not die in a plothole inducing fashion
Cyril = Make him less a background character
Volteer = Just shut him up
Terrador = Give him SOME purpose
Malefor = Make him less nice
Gaul = Nix him
Hunter = Nix him too
Plot = Fix it. Too many plotholes
Romance = 86 this junk

Seems good.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#54 Posted: 23:46:13 10/11/2011
Spyro x Elora was mostly just implied; you could take it or leave it if you wanted to. She was nice to him, she kissed him, they rode the love boat together, and she gave him another chance. And those two did interact and get to know each other a bit.

Spyro x Cynder pretty much had nothing to build up to it with. They knew each other for less than three weeks, Cynder never showed any interest, Spyro seemed to be fond of her but then dropped it, and then out of nowhere she just says she loves him. It didn't really add up.

As for LoS being remade...yeah, you'd have to start it over from the ground up to make it not crappy. It was so bad it was endearing in ANB and TEN, then DotD just completely forgot what it was doing and dropped the ball. I'd settle for just making DotD match the other two games: get Krome back in (in some universe where they still exist), give Malefor a reason to need Spyro (like, say, he has no body and needs to possess Spyro's), ditch the cheetah tribe and have Hunter work with the Atlawa instead, have the Manweersmalls in Warfang, and for heaven's sake put at least one more female in there somewhere! And, yeah, ditch the romance. Of all the giant plotholes, that was one of the biggest.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#55 Posted: 23:50:07 10/11/2011
^ This.
---
but i love it all smooth
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#56 Posted: 00:07:39 11/11/2011
Quote: LevanJess
Quote: cowpowa23
Well, yeah he did do what everyone told him, but I prefer Tlos spyro's personality over classic.
And since when was classic Spyro funny? And, no....I don't see tlos Spyro moping around, Just because he has big eyes. I actually think he's cuter in tlos....lol (in a puppy-like way)
(oh and, what the Heck is nope.avi?????? >.<)

I still see no personality in LoS Spyro.
Okay, if you don't find him funny, than at least Classic Spyro had a sense of humor, unlike LoS Spyro.
It's not just the eyes. If you paid attention, especially in the cut scenes, you'd see he did mope around quite a bit. He seemed depressed for some reason. Really, the only emotion (besides "love") he seemed to show.
Disagree. I like Classic best, especially compared to DotD Spyro.

Nope.avi is a fancy way of saying no. It's from a video.

ok..o.o
well, I still prefer tlos Spyro.
and, ok. next time I play I'll try and remember to pay more attention. O.o
also: oh.......ok.
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
CynderFan1309 Gold Sparx Gems: 2235
#57 Posted: 00:39:50 11/11/2011
I prefer Classic Spyro for various reasons.

Remaking LoS? Huh. They'd more than likely remake the Classics before LoS (Classics are on PS1 and Classics would reel in more money than LoS).
Besides, wasn't a huge fan of LoS, so I don't know if I'd like it.

If they had no crappy love, less repetitive gameplay, no plotholes, perhaps made it much more interesting, then maybe I'd like it, depending on the changes.
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#58 Posted: 15:27:52 11/11/2011
If Memory served me correct two implied versions of malefor were talked about but dropped

(And I have lost the sourcee lol)

One of them was having Malefor become a physical being by possessing Darkspyro's form and splitting out of Spyro.

I forget the other but there is DOTD artwork of Spyro fighting a very deformed darker version of himself.

As for Cynder's sudden affection for Spyro, It must of been a take your opinion how it happended, story wise I guess she become fond of him after all the times his saved her like the useless damsel and the way he was, a goody two shoes.

In my honest opinion I could of seen Cynder work as a darker version of Katara from Airbender. It makes you think no one really thought what the hell personality and character they wanted to give and just tossed idea's around the table
#59 Posted: 19:04:04 11/11/2011
ooh..
Can you post the pictures? smilie?
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#60 Posted: 20:08:07 13/11/2011
Quote: Jackson117
If Memory served me correct two implied versions of malefor were talked about but dropped

One of them was having Malefor become a physical being by possessing Darkspyro's form and splitting out of Spyro.

I forget the other but there is DOTD artwork of Spyro fighting a very deformed darker version of himself.

I wish I could know where you found that

Also,
http://www.yannickcorboz.com/w...09/Spyro_01.jpg
This picture?

(I've always loved looking at the TLoS concept art)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:10:03 13/11/2011 by Darby
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#61 Posted: 21:25:05 13/11/2011
Aaaah, I remember that piece!

Also, I thought this topic was dead.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#62 Posted: 21:41:28 13/11/2011
Quote: Darby

Also,
This picture?

That would make DotD so much more interesting.
Also the thing about Malefor possessing Dark Spyro.
---
but i love it all smooth
#63 Posted: 23:26:48 13/11/2011
Epic pic.
#64 Posted: 19:18:20 16/11/2011
Quote: Jackson117

Also,
This picture?

That is AWESOME!! D:
Dang it Activision!!!! >.<
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3163
#65 Posted: 21:14:14 16/11/2011 | Topic Creator
I really wish they would have kept that idea, because that was an epic picture!
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#66 Posted: 23:39:41 16/11/2011
Some of the best ideas are those that never come to fruition.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#67 Posted: 06:40:53 18/11/2011
That those two ideas sound better than what was tossed into DotD. I wished one of them happened in the game.

I don't see why the whole of TLOS needs a remake. Only DotD needs something done to it. The only Spyro game I think needs an actual remake is EtD.

DotD needs a lot of tweaks too, but not as much as ETD. DotD may have been rushed, but EtD wasn't finished.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
evalutionspyro Blue Sparx Gems: 687
#68 Posted: 00:30:39 19/11/2011
they should bring Los back, after skylanders what are they going to do next mm.......
---
my new name: DJ Anderson, due to my last name.
#69 Posted: 00:31:33 19/11/2011
It's unsure of what'll happen next, although I kinda doubt they'll bring LoS back because it didn't make that much money.
---
but i love it all smooth
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#70 Posted: 09:24:35 19/11/2011
It's unsure of what'll happen next, although I kinda doubt they'll bring LoS back because it didn't make that much money.

Yes, that doesn't make much sense for a company to bring back a failure for money, "Oh let's remake the LoS trilogy even though it failed the first time round and made us loose money, great idea" smilie
#71 Posted: 16:40:53 19/11/2011
I laughed. xD
That's so true. Especially if Activision'll make the remakes.
They'd more than likely remake Classics (1-4) before LoS, anyway.
---
but i love it all smooth
spyrathedragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#72 Posted: 16:42:33 19/11/2011
Oh hell yes. That would make me so damn happy. It could've had more "Classic Spyro" added to it, too.

SSA may be a pokemon wannabe, but all the ideas have been taken. What did you expect? That can't cater to your ever need and want. They won't even remake LoS because they've let it go, now. Besides, I like collecting toys. Especially if they're all crafted into their own original look, style, and personality.
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#73 Posted: 17:53:20 19/11/2011

That would've made DotD a lot better and more interesting other than that typical boring story they went with.
zzsdf Emerald Sparx Gems: 4271
#74 Posted: 17:53:22 19/11/2011
I laughed. xD
That's so true. Especially if Activision'll make the remakes.
They'd more than likely remake Classics (1-4) before LoS, anyway.

I don't think Classics would have the same success they've had before. Gamers are not really intrested in those types of games anymore IMO.
#75 Posted: 18:00:27 19/11/2011
That's a good point, most gamers are more interested in things like CoD and AC.
They'd still more likely remake Classics, though, for a few other reasons.

Still, I bet it would make more money than LoS, although I can't be sure.
---
but i love it all smooth
#76 Posted: 20:34:13 19/11/2011
I doubt Classics would do as well today too. Especially considering the sucess of things like Mario and Sonic.
---
#77 Posted: 20:35:46 19/11/2011
Yeah, that's a good point.
I still think it could likely do better than LoS, though.
---
but i love it all smooth
#78 Posted: 22:44:55 19/11/2011
It depends on how they do it.
In all honesty, if they market it well, it would sell, whether it's Classics or LoS.

But in terms of which would be received better, also depends on how they make it. However, I believe if they were to make another new universe for Spyro, LoS would be a better template on the gameplay front at least, simply because all the signature moves from the Classics were in LoS anyway, and LoS had more variety within normal gameplay because of this.
---
#79 Posted: 23:59:29 19/11/2011
True. Depends on what changes they make what they do to it.
Agree.

LoS gameplay was amazingly repetitive, though, so not sure if that'd do good. Then again, combat is popular.
Classic gameplay didn't revolve around combat, so not sure if that'd do good, since most popular games these days have a lot of combat.
---
but i love it all smooth
#80 Posted: 01:08:36 20/11/2011
No, LoS's gameplay was not repetitive. What you mean to say, is that it's level design was repetitive.
Nobody can argue that LoS's normal game mechanics were more repetitive than Classic Spyro's normal game mechanics.

The Classics were essentially just jump, glide, charge and shoot (and swim, later on). It was extremely simple, and fun, but it is extremely repetitive. It's why they have a ton of mini-games in the Classics. It's the very reason why IGN gave the PSN release of Spyro 1 a score of 7 - Spyro 1 didn't have mini-games (other than the flying levels), and so, it was a very repetitive game. The level gimmicks just weren't drastic enough to get out of this repititon most of the time, and when they were, they were very short lived. Because of this, later Spyro games incorporated tons of mini-games to keep things fresh - but this can make the game feel like a mini-game collection, as opposed to a platformer, which was the biggest flaw of the Classic games - the normal game mechanics were not versatile, and the mini-games made it feel disjointed. On top of that, the mini games were very hit and miss. For evvery mini game you liked, there would be one you'd hate.

LoS half fixed this problem. Spyro's moveset was greatly expanded on, making for a deep, rewarding combat system, which was something the Classics were severely lacking - game mechanics that reward the player. And no, I'm not talking about getting an orb or an egg for completing missions - I'm talking about really rewarding the player's skills. LoS did this through it's combat, as if you were cunning and vigilante enough, you could dispatch enemies really quickly. Some people complain that battles are too long and dragged out, and that the amount of enemies that gang up on you is overwhelming, but that isn't the game's fault, it's the players. I know this, because my first playthrough of the LoS games felt longer and more difficult than any subsequent ones. I complained about certain things because they felt unfair, but when I went back again, I discovered that mixing up my strategies, and not button mashing, and remembering to dodge, made fights so much quicker, and more satisfying. The game rewarded my skills as a player by letting me advance quicker. That is an example pf professional game design at it's finest, where a player's incentive to keep playing is not their desire to unlock everything (which is what the Classics did), but their desire to improve their skills (which is what LoS did).

But where did LoS slip up?
It slipped up on the platforming and puzzling segments (and the lack of variety in enemies).
Now, don't get me wrong. The platforming and puzzling in LoS is not bad by any means. It's pretty solid.
But there wasn't enough of it. I guess the developers realised that their comabt system was so well made, they got carried away with putting in fighting segments. Which is a shame. In the platforming/puzzling sections they had, Spyro's abilities were put to good use, and they had some interesting, level specific gimmicks. But there just wasn't enough of it. And more importantly, there wasn't really any instances where you would be platforming and fighting at the same time. Also, the game's were just too short, considering the theme of the game.

Now, I have my own theory on how to make a phenomenol Spyro game - taking the best mechanics of both the Classics and LoS, expanding on those key mechanics, while doing things that previous developers didn't have the time or confidence to implement within the previous games. As well as that, the game would need a unique mechanic never before seen in Spyro, that makes use of today's technology (this is one serious thing that Spyro games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 have lacked).

Of course, it would take more than that. But that's just to give you a basic idea developers should start.
---
#81 Posted: 01:36:38 20/11/2011
I kinda thought the gameplay is repetitive. All I did throughout the thing was mash the O button, walk a few steps, and then more button mashing. It was boring, in my opinion.
Level design is repetitive?

And that's fine for the Classics because it wasn't revolved around simple fighting. Classics is obviously repetitive if you only focus on comeback.
Yeah, Classics had repetitive comeback, but there are lots of mini games and levels and challenges that you can beat. I suppose it was repetitive, but the Classics did have lots of different challenges. It would be repetitive if you only cared about comeback.
I guess I don't have much of a say there, though, since I never noticed that the Classics were repetitive.
That is true about the last part of that paragraph.

Deep? All you did was mash the O button and whole time, Square button, Triangle button, and sometimes (what was it? R2?) button (in ANB-TEN).
I never noticed how many enemies catch up on you, I usually just mash the O button tons of times and dodge and I win.
What do you mean by mixing up strategies? That's interesting, I'd like to know what that means.
I guess I could agree there.

Agreed, it was a shame. They put too much comeback into it, in my opinion. It was also really short, agreed there.

That's a good idea there. LoS and Classic had some good points, combining them would be great for a game.
---
but i love it all smooth
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#82 Posted: 02:32:36 20/11/2011
I found LoS very repititive, to be honest. It was just far too simple, and whilst you could build up combos, you didn't need to - You could beat the enemies without. I didn't need to learn anything or organize a strategy, because it was just that simple (unless I'm better than I thought at videogames?). Had LoS forced me in any way to create a strategy to beat foes, I'd say it was a great game and agree it was deep, but sadly, for me, it was too darn easy. The only boss that really made me think was Skabb, and he was actually a well thought boss.

The one thing I liked about the Classics (and Skylanders), is that you had to use your brain to find everything - LoS was very linear, and basically just held your hand all the way, even more than the Classics did. Like LevanJess, I never noticed repetitive gameplay in the Classics, as you always had to create your own path, rather than move straight forward.

I agree combining the pair would be a great idea. LoS had potential, but it was sadly not used fully.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#83 Posted: 02:54:52 20/11/2011
^ Eh, agreed actually, I kinda found LoS easy, even without cheats. It did have a decent combat (I misspelled as comeback earlier, don't feel like changing that) system, but I kinda wish it had more choice to do with it (kinda like DotD, although I personally didn't care for that combat in that either).

That's true. It was nice how you could choose what to do, LoS you had to go forward and such.

It did.
---
but i love it all smooth
#84 Posted: 12:49:45 20/11/2011
See, you're just proving my point even further there. If you found button mashing the circle button made them game feel too repetitive, that is your fault, not the game's fault. I never button mashed in LoS, as I knew it was more practical to use the elements to their full potential. Admittedly, the only exception to this was ANB, as I do agree that the moves were not designed too well, it was very easy, and had almost no platformig or puzzling.

However, in TEN and DotD, you can't use the repetitive card - it was REALLY versatile. Seriously, there are many little tricks in the game that make it more fun, and make dispatching enemies quicker. For example, for TEN, in the part where you are on Skabb's ship, remember those ghost enemies? Well, did you know you can actually defeat them in one attack simply by shooting an ice ball at them? If you button mashed, like you said you did, you would not of discovered this, and would of found these guys to be just another enemy, and would of spent more time defeating them.

For an example in DotD:
Did you know that Cynder's shadow element can actually make enemies fight wach other? It may have to be upgraded a little, but it works alright.

There are many more examples I can give you from both games, but you get the idea - LoS has a huge tactical element to it. With a game like this, there is no such thing as a button mashing game. Only button mashing players. Button mashing is not the ONLY way to play LoS, it's one of MANY ways.

RadSpyro, you're only thinking of level progression when saying LoS held your hand, and the Classics didn't. The Classics may have given you choice on what levels to play in whatever order, but they didn't give you a versatile set of abilities to play around with, in combat or in platforming. So, what worlds you entered was up to you to choose, but how you tackled each individual challenge or enemy was pre-defined. Big enemies with shields or frontal armour HAD to be killed with a flame from behind, for example, and the power-ups were not really rewards, they were designed to be used in specific areas and in specific challenges. You had no freedom in how you use a power-up like the superflame or supercharge.

Also, another glaring flaw of the Classics, is that their level design is just as linear as LoS the further you get in. Only the hub worlds and earlier levels had a real sense of freedom, and I actually found the earlier levels the hardest to find all the treasure in because of this. But a bit later into the game the levels take on the form of inter-linking corridors as oppossed to open fields, and eventually, they became just one straight corridor, which is not any different from LoS. The reason this happens, is because the challenges in the Classic games had to be in a controlled environment to be challenging at all, and still feel fair. Which is a huge problem.

While LoS neglected to give you freedom in level progression (though this was partly fixed in DotD), it gave you freedom in nearly every other aspect. YOU decide how to kill your enemies, YOU decide how Spyro should be upgraded (if at all), YOU decide how to use your attacks and abilities. In TEN, YOU decide how to use Dragon Time, and in DotD, YOU decide whether you want to plow through the levels as quick as possible, or if you want to actually explore them and find secrets. In DotD, YOU decide who you want to play as in each area.

See what I mean? The Classics didn't have any of that. They only gave you freedom in the order of what levels and objectives you tackled. Nothing else. This is why LoS is a much better template for a modern day game. It's mechanics are more versatile, and every major ability from the Classics is present anyway (except for swimming).
---
#85 Posted: 16:43:15 20/11/2011
To me it just sounds like your opinion.
#86 Posted: 17:52:07 20/11/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Not really.
It's a fact that LoS lets you jump and glide.
It's a fact that it lets you breathe fire.
It's a fact that it lets charge (except DotD on consoles).
It's a fact that it lets you head bash (except they just called it tail whip, but the actual purpose is identical).
It's a fact LoS gives you more freedom in it's mechanics. Especially DotD, as there was a sense of physical momentum in that. They gave the characters physics.
---
#87 Posted: 18:23:12 20/11/2011
Quote: sonicbrawler182

RadSpyro, you're only thinking of level progression when saying LoS held your hand, and the Classics didn't. The Classics may have given you choice on what levels to play in whatever order, but they didn't give you a versatile set of abilities to play around with, in combat or in platforming. So, what worlds you entered was up to you to choose, but how you tackled each individual challenge or enemy was pre-defined. Big enemies with shields or frontal armour HAD to be killed with a flame from behind, for example, and the power-ups were not really rewards, they were designed to be used in specific areas and in specific challenges. You had no freedom in how you use a power-up like the superflame or supercharge.

Also, another glaring flaw of the Classics, is that their level design is just as linear as LoS the further you get in. Only the hub worlds and earlier levels had a real sense of freedom, and I actually found the earlier levels the hardest to find all the treasure in because of this. But a bit later into the game the levels take on the form of inter-linking corridors as oppossed to open fields, and eventually, they became just one straight corridor, which is not any different from LoS. The reason this happens, is because the challenges in the Classic games had to be in a controlled environment to be challenging at all, and still feel fair. Which is a huge problem.

While LoS neglected to give you freedom in level progression (though this was partly fixed in DotD), it gave you freedom in nearly every other aspect. YOU decide how to kill your enemies, YOU decide how Spyro should be upgraded (if at all), YOU decide how to use your attacks and abilities. In TEN, YOU decide how to use Dragon Time, and in DotD, YOU decide whether you want to plow through the levels as quick as possible, or if you want to actually explore them and find secrets. In DotD, YOU decide who you want to play as in each area.

See what I mean? The Classics didn't have any of that. They only gave you freedom in the order of what levels and objectives you tackled. Nothing else. This is why LoS is a much better template for a modern day game. It's mechanics are more versatile, and every major ability from the Classics is present anyway (except for swimming).

To be honest.... Not really.

In LoS, you decided all of that - That's very true. But - If a gamer can beat it without needing to do any of it..... What purpose did that serve? In the Classics, YOU decided what level to play. YOU decided if you wanted to help out or not, YOU decided how you completed the timed challenges - See where I'm going? Pretty much everything you said can be easily turned around on LoS. There's no better game in terms. If a game FORCES you to think, then it's a winner. But LoS doesn't force you to - That's what I'm trying to say. It's up to me if I want to make the combos - What kind of challenge does a game provide if it doesn't force you to work?

I don't hate LoS - In fact, deep down, I loved TEN if only for Dragon Time. But - The flaws are present. Classic has it's flaws too don't get me wrong, but so far, LoS has the most flaws for me personally.

I agree with SuperSpyroFan though - it's all an opinion. All of those listed can be said about the Classics too, and to me, there's more freedom in the Classics, in that you choose the path - and you choose how you work it. There's no such thing as a better game here, just an opinion.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#88 Posted: 18:57:26 20/11/2011
Because the battles take a lot longer to complete if you button mash. If you actually think about how you fight, you get through the game much quicker, and it's just more fun. I honestly find that to better than forcing me to play strategically. The game doesn't force you to think strategically, it gives you incentive, which is better. It means it's accesible to players who can't think, but more rewarding to players who do mix it up a bit. Heck, you get more gems from enemies for mixing up combos. So not only can you advance faster, but your mana and spirit gem count goes up faster.

While it is possible to beat LoS with just melees, it's very boring to do so, and makes LoS tediously long. But at least you are given the choice to do that, if that's what you desire. That's the purpose in not forcing you to do it.

And LoS forces you to think through it's puzzles and platforming. Don't forget, they exist.

Quote:
YOU decided if you wanted to help out or not

Nope. If you didn't help any characters, you basically weren't playing the game. It's not like the game had a morality system in it. You may as well of just said you are given a choice whether or not to buy the game.

Now, I never said LoS was flawless. I pointed out quite a few flaws actually. And I never said the games were better. I like LoS and Classics on an equal level.

I just said LoS had more versatile mechanics. Which is impossible to deny, given that it has pretty much every major ability from the Classics, and then it's own versatile combat.

Heck, you want proof that the mechanics were not very versatile in the Classics?
Think about Insomniac's stated reason for leaving the franchise (well, the creative reason - I know there was a legal reason too).

And you can't really choose how to tackle challenges in the Classics. As I said, they were in a completely controlled environment the whole time.
---
#89 Posted: 19:14:45 20/11/2011
Because the battles take a lot longer to complete if you button mash. If you actually think about how you fight, you get through the game much quicker, and it's just more fun. I honestly find that to better than forcing me to play strategically. The game doesn't force you to think strategically, it gives you incentive, which is better. It means it's accesible to players who can't think, but more rewarding to players who do mix it up a bit. Heck, you get more gems from enemies for mixing up combos. So not only can you advance faster, but your mana and spirit gem count goes up faster.

While it is possible to beat LoS with just melees, it's very boring to do so, and makes LoS tediously long. But at least you are given the choice to do that, if that's what you desire. That's the purpose in not forcing you to do it.

And LoS forces you to think through it's puzzles and platforming. Don't forget, they exist.

Quote:
YOU decided if you wanted to help out or not

Nope. If you didn't help any characters, you basically weren't playing the game. It's not like the game had a morality system in it. You may as well of just said you are given a choice whether or not to buy the game.

Now, I never said LoS was flawless. I pointed out quite a few flaws actually. And I never said the games were better. I like LoS and Classics on an equal level.

I just said LoS had more versatile mechanics. Which is impossible to deny, given that it has pretty much every major ability from the Classics, and then it's own versatile combat.

Heck, you want proof that the mechanics were not very versatile in the Classics?
Think about Insomniac's stated reason for leaving the franchise (well, the creative reason - I know there was a legal reason too).

And you can't really choose how to tackle challenges in the Classics. As I said, they were in a completely controlled environment the whole time.

But this is the whole point - If the game doesn't force you to think about it, it's failed to stimulate the mind. A game should force you to think - Not just let you think if/when you want to.
The puzzles are very few and far between though, and don't take long to complete. DotD fixed this, but was let down by more repetitive combat.

And actually, yes, you did decide if you wanted to help characters or not. Granted, there were some that forced you to help them, but you didn't have to help out everyone you came across. It was optional if you wanted to help many of them.

The combat in the LoS games was overall poor. I don't know anyone who actually thought it was well made. I do enjoy combat games, but LoS failed on that level badly.

And LoS has no more advantages to Classic. In fact, Classic replaces combat with swimming anyway. And the minigames do add to the mechanics. That's why LoS received lower scores than most Classic games - There's not as much challenge in them.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Seeing Skylanders reviews and popularity, I'm partially inclined to look as LoS as Spyro's 'slowest years', particularly as they had the lowest sales.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:19:46 20/11/2011 by RadSpyro
#90 Posted: 19:55:20 20/11/2011
Here, I hope no one minds me only answering to this part directed at me.

See, you're just proving my point even further there. If you found button mashing the circle button made them game feel too repetitive, that is your fault, not the game's fault. I never button mashed in LoS, as I knew it was more practical to use the elements to their full potential. Admittedly, the only exception to this was ANB, as I do agree that the moves were not designed too well, it was very easy, and had almost no platformig or puzzling.

However, in TEN and DotD, you can't use the repetitive card - it was REALLY versatile. Seriously, there are many little tricks in the game that make it more fun, and make dispatching enemies quicker. For example, for TEN, in the part where you are on Skabb's ship, remember those ghost enemies? Well, did you know you can actually defeat them in one attack simply by shooting an ice ball at them? If you button mashed, like you said you did, you would not of discovered this, and would of found these guys to be just another enemy, and would of spent more time defeating them.

For an example in DotD:
Did you know that Cynder's shadow element can actually make enemies fight wach other? It may have to be upgraded a little, but it works alright.

There are many more examples I can give you from both games, but you get the idea - LoS has a huge tactical element to it. With a game like this, there is no such thing as a button mashing game. Only button mashing players. Button mashing is not the ONLY way to play LoS, it's one of MANY ways.

Yeah, I understand what you mean now by the combos, I never dismissed the fact Spyro had elements and you could do a little combat while using those elements (pretty sure that's what you mean), but you still had to button mash the O button and Square buttons to do that. It is the game's fault they decided to put too much fighting into the game and put such a simple combat system.
I guess that's just me then.

Yes I can. TEN and DotD were still repetitive with their combat systems. You're right there- there were little tricks put in TEN and a few in DotD that could help you get past the enemies faster, making the gameplay less repetitive, but with regular enemies I don't remember there being any tricks and you did the same thing as you did with ANB.

I remember that, it was one of the few things I actually used Cynder for. You're right, there, that was a nice little trick (along with all the things the other elements could do), and DotD had less repetitive combat with all the combos and all that stuff you could do, although I still found DotD a little repetitive as well.

I disagree. I didn't button mash the whole time, I used elements a lot, I used combos, it was still boring and repetitive. There were lots of combos that added a little fun into the games (main reason I don't hate the games), but I still had to use the O button or Square button often.
I mean, I won't dismiss the fact there's lots of things you could do with the elements and make good combos, and I guess you didn't have to button mash, but I still argue that it was repetitive and had too much fighting and a simple combat system (which did have potential).

Quote: SuperSpyroFan

It kinda does.
---
but i love it all smooth
#91 Posted: 20:01:56 20/11/2011
Let me put it this way, it sounds like SB is giving facts by backing them up with his own opinion. Whereas I'm not afriad to comment that the Classics are the best and the rest I don't even consider.
#92 Posted: 20:58:47 20/11/2011
Hm, well, while I played LoS I do agree with SB that there are different kinds of ways you can pay LoS. You can button mash, you can do combos. That's very true.

However, I did all sorts of combos, and I still found LoS gameplay repetitive. It's probably because I think they put too much fighting in it. They should have focused more on other things.
#93 Posted: 22:04:22 20/11/2011
In case people didn't notice, I did say LoS had too much of the fighting. I think they were so sure they had struck gold with their combat system, that they focused too much on it. At least in the first two.
---
#94 Posted: 22:10:21 20/11/2011
Yeah, I noticed that. I even answered back to that, agreeing.
DotD wasn't much better. It didn't have as much fighting as TEN and ANB, but its combat wasn't the best either.
---
but i love it all smooth
#95 Posted: 22:13:04 20/11/2011
Whoever implied you didn't say that?
#96 Posted: 22:15:09 20/11/2011
I think DotD's combat lacked some fluidity, but it was still pretty solid.
I felt TEN's combat was exactly how Spyro should fight. It worked.....so well. ;___;

'Twas simple on the surface, but really deep when you experimented.
---
#97 Posted: 22:17:02 20/11/2011
TEN's combat was defiantly my favorite, I agree there. I loved the elements in TEN as well.

That's true. You could do many things with their elements in all 3 games along with their combat (AND and TEN especially).
---
but i love it all smooth
zzsdf Emerald Sparx Gems: 4271
#98 Posted: 22:28:51 20/11/2011
I loved TEN's combat, especially in the Wii version. It was really brilliant.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#99 Posted: 06:05:24 07/12/2011
TLOS had too much fighting. There were about 20 apes being thrown at you every 10 seconds. You just couldn't get away from all the fighting. The poor combat system didn't help and only made it worse. That's what made it repetitive. If the combat system would have been better, the fighting may not have been so tedious.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:12:29 07/12/2011 by DarkCynder_543
Flammenwolf Ripto Gems: 10
#100 Posted: 12:46:30 11/12/2011
Needs more gore, more violence, and more blood.
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me