Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
It's Nerd Tastic! [CLOSED]
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#1 Posted: 20:02:10 30/10/2011 | Topic Creator
I found my original Playstation earlier today and it still works! I was playing Spyro 2 on it!
I was surprised at how giddy I was about the whole thing. Something about playing a PS21 game on an actual PS1 istead of a PS2 was just too awesome!

Say, y'know what's interesting? I remember palying Spyro2 when I was young, and feeling very drawn into the atmosphere of the game. By that I mean that in the intro cutscene I always got the feeling/was reminded of an actual thunderstorm, like there was in the game. What's interesting is that I don't seem to get that feeling with newer games even though they have more realistic graphics and sound and such.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#2 Posted: 20:30:36 30/10/2011
Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
I found my original Playstation earlier today and it still works! I was playing Spyro 2 on it!
I was surprised at how giddy I was about the whole thing. Something about playing a PS21 game on an actual PS1 istead of a PS2 was just too awesome!

Say, y'know what's interesting? I remember palying Spyro2 when I was young, and feeling very drawn into the atmosphere of the game. By that I mean that in the intro cutscene I always got the feeling/was reminded of an actual thunderstorm, like there was in the game. What's interesting is that I don't seem to get that feeling with newer games even though they have more realistic graphics and sound and such.

I agree with you, who needs great graphics? It's a GAME. smilie

There are a few half-decent PS3 titles out there, but not many in my opinion, and come to think of it, great graphics is another type of gimmick to me.

There's nothing like playing the old Tomb Raider/MediEvil and Spyro games on the original PlayStation is there? Lol.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#3 Posted: 20:34:30 30/10/2011
^ Oh I agree! I love old games with kinda crappy graphics (Spyro 1-3, Tomb Raider 1-2, Clock Tower series, etc.). <3
I mean, graphics never mattered to me.

And that is interesting! I never had that feeling before.
---
but i love it all smooth
#4 Posted: 20:43:25 30/10/2011
Quote: LevanJess
^ Oh I agree! I love old games with kinda crappy graphics (Spyro 1-3, Tomb Raider 1-2, Clock Tower series, etc.). <3
I mean, graphics never mattered to me.

And that is interesting! I never had that feeling before.

It wasn't crappy graphics when we didn't know any different, it makes you wonder what games would be like now if Sony couldn't come up with a PS2 or 3 or anything like that. Basically no company could ever come up with a better graphical system.
#5 Posted: 20:49:46 30/10/2011
Hey, good observation there!
I kind of wish they kept old graphics. I know some people who won't touch games with "crappy" graphics, even though they're missing out. :l
---
but i love it all smooth
#6 Posted: 21:04:38 30/10/2011
Hey, good observation there!
I kind of wish they kept old graphics. I know some people who won't touch games with "crappy" graphics, even though they're missing out. :l

Well isn't it like kind of saying you have a brand new PS3 game but when it gets old that means it's rubbish? Not really, I don't really know how to explain this but just because something is old doesn't mean it may be rubbish to you. Just like when some people automatically didn't like Skylanders even though they never gave it a chance, sort of thing.
#7 Posted: 21:05:41 30/10/2011
I agree. I personally love old stuff, and I hate it when people say "OH ITS OLD, I HATE IT!!!11".
---
but i love it all smooth
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#8 Posted: 21:13:27 30/10/2011
To be honest.... I expected graphics to be better than what we have today (!), which is why graphics don't matter to me still. Perhaps when I can play through one game on the 360/PS3/WiiU and not be able to see the joining pixels I'll change my mind.

In other words - Yes, I prefer older games. I still get more playtime from those old games than I do most games today, including some with no nostalgia for me.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#9 Posted: 21:21:46 30/10/2011 | Topic Creator
Older games just seemed to have more efort into the m on average, probably because they couldn't sell games with just graphics sex and gore back in the day.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#10 Posted: 21:24:10 30/10/2011
I agree. I personally love old stuff, and I hate it when people say "OH ITS OLD, I HATE IT!!!11".

Isn't that just being single-minded?
#11 Posted: 21:29:59 30/10/2011
I'm not sure, is it? I suppose it is.
Just kinda tired of games being judged by graphics or how old it was made. :/
I personally like some new games, but still, I prefer older ones.
---
but i love it all smooth
#12 Posted: 21:36:49 30/10/2011
I'm not sure, is it? I suppose it is.
Just kinda tired of games being judged by graphics or how old it was made. :/
I personally like some new games, but still, I prefer older ones.

I must admit I like GTA, but not the ones on the PS3 or the ones on the PS1, I have my reasons.
I grew up with playing GTA just as well as Spyro, GTA was a little bit later. I really like Vice City, I like the 1980's atmosphere to it, and the classic songs that you can hear on the radio station in that game, lol. I know some people think that GTA sucks because it looks the same as any other game, but if you look into it, they are similar, but they do have different things about them. GTA IV is rubbish as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather play a Legend of Spyro game again than that.
#13 Posted: 23:53:35 30/10/2011
GTA= Grand Theft Auto?
I heard of those games. From your description there, they sound interesting! Maybe I should play them some time.
---
but i love it all smooth
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#14 Posted: 17:27:16 31/10/2011
Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
Older games just seemed to have more efort into the m on average, probably because they couldn't sell games with just graphics sex and gore back in the day.

Actually, it's nothing to do with them having less effort. In fact, games these days probably have more effort put into them.

The problems are:
-Games are harder to develop nowadays (more polygons, more complicated coding for the more complex game mechanics of today).
-People are a lot more picky these days.

The best/most well received PS1 games and N64 games rarely took more than a year to develop (Spyro 3 took a mere 10 months to develop. It was usually only big RPG games that took more than a year). Where, these days, if you want a good, polished, innovative game, you would need at least 2 years in development. The only exceptions to this, would be easier to develop games that don't change too much, like Call of Duty, Pokémon, and Guitar Hero. These kind of games can show a lot of polish without the need for long development times.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#15 Posted: 20:51:14 31/10/2011
GTA= Grand Theft Auto?
I heard of those games. From your description there, they sound interesting! Maybe I should play them some time.

Vice City is now my favourite. Although some parts can be difficult. There's a lot to do in Vice City Stories which was done after Vice City but was set before it, lol.
cpay97 Ripto Gems: 172
#16 Posted: 00:49:54 01/11/2011
You haven't played them Levanjess? Oh my god, you have to run to Gamestop and get a few copies RIGHT NOW!!! Get GTA IV, I love how they remade Liberty City for it, same with China Town wars. Other than that, Sanandreas is pretty cool too.
#17 Posted: 01:29:22 01/11/2011
I probably should play some. What consoles are they on, and how many are there?
I'm saving my money up at the moment, though, so it might be a while. They sound pretty good from your recommendations.
---
but i love it all smooth
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#18 Posted: 01:54:46 01/11/2011
I want to play Spyro 3 badly after reading this. Goooood memories
#19 Posted: 10:36:39 01/11/2011
I probably should play some. What consoles are they on, and how many are there?
I'm saving my money up at the moment, though, so it might be a while. They sound pretty good from your recommendations.

Do not get GTA IV, if you were like me who were brought up with the PS2 ones, GTA IV is rubbish. That one out of the whole series is really over-rated to me.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:37:00 01/11/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me