Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > What do you hate about Spyro and what do you like about Spyro?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
What do you hate about Spyro and what do you like about Spyro? [CLOSED]
CynderClaw Green Sparx Gems: 160
#1 Posted: 02:34:04 25/04/2011 | Topic Creator
Just tell us what you like and hate about Spyro.
---
As night rose, the town's people heard a blood thersty howl, only to find a cold, lifeless, bloody body. It had retured. The Black Dog.-CynderClaw
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#2 Posted: 06:04:42 25/04/2011
Haha, it's a long list on both sides. smilie Where should I start? smilie
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#3 Posted: 06:11:36 25/04/2011
^ This.

However, I shall quickly post this: One of the things I hate is DoTD. I don't need to say why AGAIN.
Though, doubtlessly, the worst part is the bratty fanbase.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:35:42 25/04/2011 by GamingMaster_76
Spyro-Gamer Hunter Gems: 7372
#4 Posted: 06:17:26 25/04/2011
Same as Razz for me.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#5 Posted: 09:37:15 25/04/2011
What do I hate? It varies, but the top of the list is most definately the fanbase.

What do I like? It varies, but whatever it is, it's the reason I'm on this site in the first place.

Happy now?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:37:48 25/04/2011 by CAV
Cynder985 Ripto Gems: 425
#6 Posted: 12:34:03 25/04/2011
What I hate about Spyro is the fanbase nowadays. Not sure what I like about Spyro.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#7 Posted: 13:30:09 25/04/2011
The fanbase has nothing to do with Spyro in my opinion. Nothing to do with the character or games.
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#8 Posted: 13:34:10 25/04/2011
I don't know, too many things to post.
#9 Posted: 19:41:37 25/04/2011
No, the fanbase is every bit as much a part of Spyro as anything else, at least for those of us who are in it. And I'm with the folks who say they hate that the most because, really, I can enjoy even DotD by itself and it's the fans that did the most damage to my opinions about that game (though it is not blameless; it is a mediocre game at best, just barely above EtD on my books).
#10 Posted: 19:44:29 25/04/2011
Quote: Razz
No, the fanbase is every bit as much a part of Spyro as anything else, at least for those of us who are in it. And I'm with the folks who say they hate that the most because, really, I can enjoy even DotD by itself and it's the fans that did the most damage to my opinions about that game (though it is not blameless; it is a mediocre game at best, just barely above EtD on my books).

I disagree, because Spyro is the series and that is the product, not the fans.
#11 Posted: 19:46:00 25/04/2011
To me, the fanbase was strange, and I wasn't fond of it. The strange art, the dumb fanfictions, the immature kids. But what really made me loath the fanbase can be found on the top of this page.
#12 Posted: 19:47:40 25/04/2011
Quote: CAV
To me, the fanbase was strange, and I wasn't fond of it. The strange art, the dumb fanfictions, the immature kids. But what really made me loath the fanbase can be found on the top of this page.

'The end of all Spyro' is a bit much, I agree.
#13 Posted: 19:49:01 25/04/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Yes, but the fanbase is one of the reasons why the franchise is a bit of a household name. Even after it's glory days the fanbase kept the franchise alive, and kept Spyro in the minds of those whom didn't care for the franchise after Insomniac stopped making the games.
#14 Posted: 19:49:56 25/04/2011

Yes, but the fanbase is one of the reasons why the franchise is a bit of a household name. Even after it's glory days the fanbase kept the franchise alive, and kept Spyro in the minds of those whom didn't care for the franchise after Insomniac stopped making the games.

It's only kept alive because of the money that the fanbase give to it.
#15 Posted: 19:51:35 25/04/2011

With that, the fanbase is part of the profit, which is part of the game. Ergo, the fanbase is a part of Spyro.
#16 Posted: 19:52:35 25/04/2011

With that, the fanbase is part of the profit, which is part of the game. Ergo, the fanbase is a part of Spyro.

I don't think it is.
#17 Posted: 20:35:52 25/04/2011
Meh, you've got your thoughts, we've got ours. For most of us here, the fanbase is just as much a part of Spyro as anything else, especially since the fans are the the only reason it has survived past EtD. I stand by what I've said: the fans are, bar none, the worst thing about Spyro. Beyond that, it gets more complicated.
#18 Posted: 20:45:06 25/04/2011
Meh, you've got your thoughts, we've got ours. For most of us here, the fanbase is just as much a part of Spyro as anything else, especially since the fans are the the only reason it has survived past EtD. I stand by what I've said: the fans are, bar none, the worst thing about Spyro. Beyond that, it gets more complicated.

I don't get it though, the fans of Spyro doesn't exactly design the games.
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#19 Posted: 20:49:48 25/04/2011
It's a tricky biological quirk, SSF. For some reason, Mother Nature made it really hard for humans to discern between fan view and technical view.

I myself am guilty of doing that on minor scales, albeit not with any Spyro games (Sonic Rush and Sonic and the Secret Rings are like that more, less so nowadays, and I have a friend who outright loathes Sonic Chronicles due to fan overratedness in his eyes. Such a shame, Psi's usually such a neutral-tempered fellow).
---
Eh.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#20 Posted: 20:53:28 25/04/2011
If you are literally referring to the game itself, then no, the fans are not part of it. You don't take the fanbase into account when reviewing a game.

If you are talking about it in a more "spiritual" sense, or, as CAV showed, a business sense, then they kind of are a part of it.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#21 Posted: 21:03:29 25/04/2011
Quote: sonicbrawler182
If you are literally referring to the game itself, then no, the fans are not part of it. You don't take the fanbase into account when reviewing a game.

If you are talking about it in a more "spiritual" sense, or, as CAV showed, a business sense, then they kind of are a part of it.

Exactly, only from money, not opinions or anything like that, it doesn't change anything.
#22 Posted: 21:19:17 25/04/2011
The only games where the fanbase makes a direct difference are community based ones, like LBP or Minecraft.
---
#23 Posted: 21:24:01 25/04/2011
Exactly, only from money, not opinions or anything like that, it doesn't change anything.

But the money is the reason why they continue to make Spyro games. So therefore, the fanbase is what kept Spyro alive after Insomniac stopped making the games. If it wasn't for the fanbase, Spyro wouldn't be here today, and odds are this site wouldn't be either.
#24 Posted: 21:26:11 25/04/2011
Yes, but we are talking about the games themselves and what's on the disc, not anything external.
---
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3163
#25 Posted: 22:25:46 25/04/2011
Like:

1. He's brave
2. He's kind of handsome (In TLOS)
3. He's strong
4. He good at showing expressions (Sad, angry, etc.)

Hate:

1. He doesn't have a certain personality. He's partly humorous, but partly serious. It's confusing.
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#26 Posted: 22:29:59 25/04/2011
Yes, but we are talking about the games themselves and what's on the disc, not anything external.

The OP never made it specific, so we have to assume that he/she is talking about Spyro in general.
#27 Posted: 22:40:36 25/04/2011
But the fanbase is not Spyro, now is it?smilie
---
#28 Posted: 22:53:01 25/04/2011
It's an important part, so it can be considered Spyro. smilie
#29 Posted: 23:07:14 25/04/2011
Wait, so....SPYRO IS MADE OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE!? D;
---
#30 Posted: 23:25:37 25/04/2011
Wait, so....SPYRO IS MADE OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE!? D;

Millions? I'm highly doubtful that the fanbase has millions of people in it.
Spyro-Gamer Hunter Gems: 7372
#31 Posted: 01:00:40 26/04/2011
Quote: Fireball
Like:

1. He's brave
2. He's kind of handsome (In TLOS)
3. He's strong
4. He good at showing expressions (Sad, angry, etc.)

Hate:

1. He doesn't have a certain personality. He's partly humorous, but partly serious. It's confusing.

I agree with this. smilie
#32 Posted: 02:17:11 26/04/2011
In the case of the fanbase being a part of the games, there is one instance specifically where the game would not have been the same without fan input. You know that scene in DotD where a certain someone says a certain line? Yeah, that was put in there specifically for and because of the fans at the time. So, in at least one instance, there is a game in the Spyro franchise which wouldn't be what it is if not for the fans.

In terms of how we view the games themselves and their elements, again, that's something where the fanbase plays a large part. Spyro by himself is nothing of significance, he's just pixels on a screen. What makes him and his games worthwhile are the interpretations of the players. And you know who those players are: the fans.
#33 Posted: 02:22:25 26/04/2011
You know that scene in DotD where a certain someone says a certain line? Yeah, that was put in there specifically for and because of the fans at the time.

Knowing that the fanbase is responsible for that line rather than the writers makes me hate the fanbase even more, and makes me a little more kind to the writers (that isn't saying much).
#34 Posted: 02:47:32 26/04/2011
Much of what was in DotD was put in for the fans and Mike and Chris said as much in their talks with us. It seemed cool at the time, but looking back, it's really depressing and a textbook example of why you should generally ignore your fans.
#35 Posted: 02:55:12 26/04/2011
I know that a good amount of things from DotD were because of the fans. But I figured that line of death was made by the writers and the writers alone. I didn't think the fans would have involvement in that.
#36 Posted: 08:40:34 26/04/2011
I still believe that fans have nothing to do with Spyro other than the simple fact that they pay money and play them, that's it.

EDIT: I'm also not really sure on what I hate about Spyro, but what I like about the character is the fact that it is a dragon, can Spyro can have power-ups, Spyro can charge pretty fast, the fact that he is purple, I think that is an unusual colour, I guess on thing I can hate about him is that you don't generally see much of his personality, especially in the Classic games.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:44:03 26/04/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
#37 Posted: 11:21:19 26/04/2011
I don't think fans had a large involvement in DotD. A little, but not a lot. I mean, that "line of death" was set up from ANB anyway, and we all knew how obvious THAT was. smilie

And I think it's fine to listen to fans. You just have to pick the right ideas. It's the exact same as coming up with your own ideas - brainstorm them, try them out, and if they didn't come out as you wanted, fix them or trash them. Dissidia 012 is a great example of this. Also, Sonic Generations looks like it is taking the right fan suggestions, in a way.
---
#38 Posted: 15:40:34 26/04/2011
I don't think fans had a large involvement in DotD. A little, but not a lot. I mean, that "line of death" was set up from ANB anyway, and we all knew how obvious THAT was. smilie

And I think it's fine to listen to fans. You just have to pick the right ideas. It's the exact same as coming up with your own ideas - brainstorm them, try them out, and if they didn't come out as you wanted, fix them or trash them. Dissidia 012 is a great example of this. Also, Sonic Generations looks like it is taking the right fan suggestions, in a way.

I don't recall that line being set up from the ANB. The end doesn't say much.

I do give credit to Sonic Team for that. They are listening to the fans that explain things, and use logic. And at the same time, they aren't giving them too much power. LoS gave them too much power, and it backlashed since those same fans now hate DotD with a burning passion, and now continue to expect for them to listen to the fans with Skylanders. Sonic Team does it right. And it's one of the few things I give them credit for.
#39 Posted: 15:50:02 26/04/2011

I don't recall that line being set up from the ANB. The end doesn't say much.

I do give credit to Sonic Team for that. They are listening to the fans that explain things, and use logic. And at the same time, they aren't giving them too much power. LoS gave them too much power, and it backlashed since those same fans now hate DotD with a burning passion, and now continue to expect for them to listen to the fans with Skylanders. Sonic Team does it right. And it's one of the few things I give them credit for.

Krome Studios weren't listening to the fans that disliked the idea of LoS in the first place, so they weren't REALLY listening to the fans, and besides I only think that the ending to DOTD is fan based.
#40 Posted: 15:58:02 26/04/2011
I thought it was set up. If it wasn't, then Cynder being corrupted instead of legitamitly evil was pointless.

LoS didn't give them too much power. Free Flight was something people wanted in Spyro since before LoS, it had to happen eventually, and the 10th anniversary game (DotD) is a great time for it. Cynder playable was kind of necessary due to TEN's ending(unless you want a repetitive storyline in which Cynder is captured again...). And optional co-op was a good design choice due to Cynder being around Spyro the whole game.

Those three things are the only ones we know for certain were done for the fans, due to the developers confirmimg it. Anything else that you think is done for the fans is just speculating, and as such, you cannot give concrete proof of it.

Sonic Team are now like Bungie and Media Molecule, which is part of the reason why I love them now.

It's probably a small minority who now hate DotD because of their suggestions. Most people who hate DotD just hate LoS in general, hate Spyro in general, or just hate this one game and it's concepts as a whole.
---
#41 Posted: 16:37:00 26/04/2011
^Actually, a lot of people that did like LoS hated DotD, and eventually came to hate the entire series because of that one game.

Krome Studios weren't listening to the fans that disliked the idea of LoS in the first place, so they weren't REALLY listening to the fans, and besides I only think that the ending to DOTD is fan based.

Nobody knew about LoS when ANB was coming. By the time anybody knew anything, it was already half completed.

EL listened to the fans. And it came back and bit them in the ass.
#42 Posted: 16:39:59 26/04/2011
^Actually, a lot of people that did like LoS hated DotD, and eventually came to hate the entire series because of that one game.

Nobody knew about LoS when ANB was coming. By the time anybody knew anything, it was already half completed.

EL listened to the fans. And it came back and bit them in the ass.

I bet most of the fans were young and didn't know what they were on about.
#43 Posted: 16:44:00 26/04/2011

Very doubtful of that. I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out that the fans that helped make DotD are the same people that make the creepy fanart of the game.
#44 Posted: 16:46:24 26/04/2011

Very doubtful of that. I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out that the fans that helped make DotD are the same people that make the creepy fanart of the game.

Aww, how lovely. *Sarcasm*
#45 Posted: 16:48:42 26/04/2011

Indeed.
#46 Posted: 16:50:23 26/04/2011
I have only seen a few people who hate LoS because of DotD. IMO, it's a weird reason to hate a series, and thus, I don't really care about that sort of thing. The fanbase seems to be a big reason why fans hate it, oddly enough...
---
#47 Posted: 16:50:51 26/04/2011

Indeed.

*Sigh* I don't know about all this anymore.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#48 Posted: 04:32:18 27/04/2011
What I hate:

The Legend of Spyro (haters gonna hate)
The fanbase.
Spyro in AHT and SL, ANB, TEN & DotD.

What I like:

Spyro, the character (in the Insomniac games).
The first four games.
Spyro's attitude.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#49 Posted: 04:41:24 27/04/2011
I have only seen a few people who hate LoS because of DotD. IMO, it's a weird reason to hate a series, and thus, I don't really care about that sort of thing. The fanbase seems to be a big reason why fans hate it, oddly enough...

Just like how a lot of people out there hate Sonic because of it's fanbase. And frankly, I can't really blame them.

I know how I would go on and on about how you shouldn't hate games because of that, but I kinda understand. I know a few people here that had the enjoyment of LoS sucked out of them because of the fanbase. It kinda happened to me to some extent, to the point where I'm sometimes embarrassed to say I like LoS.

And I had a fair amount of enjoyment of the Sonic franchise sucked out of me due to the fanbase. It's another factor as to why I'm not a big fan of Sonic today. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:41:36 27/04/2011 by CAV
#50 Posted: 08:18:12 27/04/2011
Honestly, a bad fanbase can chase away players. Personally, the fans are what has kept me away from the Sonic games just as much as the badness of the games themselves. Had I not already been something of a Spyro fan, I never would have played LoS at all, and I've met dozens of people who do not and will never play LoS because their exposure to it has been through the fandom.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me